Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Celebrating Singaporeans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Shih Choon Fong

Professor Shih has transformed NUS to a world class university, recognised by the world as among the top 50. The only misgiving is that the population or the locals still do not regard the local graduates as good stuff. That is why we still need foreign talents from first or third world universities that are unlisted or ranked in hundreds and preferred over our local graduates. That is the irony of not having breathe foreign air.

But Prof Shih has done well to get NUS of be recognised and for this he also earned a good reputation for himself. He is one of the rare local talents that is marketable overseas. I have difficulties counting how many of our great local talents that can be employed to top positions overseas.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrating the unsung heroes

It is easy to notice the great achievers and share their successes. The fame of entrepreneurs, statesmen, professionals etc are well documented, acknowledged and published in the media. These people are generally those who have acquired fame and wealth. We spoke in awe at the doctor or lawyer who earned several hundred thousands for each case executed. The higher the fees, the more respectable they become. He is good and that is why he can charge more.

Looking at another corner, there are great people who have done great things for the people by making their lives liveable at very low cost. They do not pursue high profit margin for themselves. They produce goods and services at the cheapest possible price and at reasonable quality to benefit the masses.

The first name that came to my mind is the instant noodle manufacturers. At a few cents, they pack a decent meal for those who cannot afford to be lavished. Millions in the world are living on instant noodles daily, 3 or 4 meals a day, 365 days a year, and for several years. Not only the lonely and the unemployed or retirees are doing it, many students from not too well off families are doing eat, eating instant noodles to get by, saving every cent they could to get their education.

For the good that these manufacturers have done and served humankind, their contributions are mostly taken for granted. Then there are the hawkers in some hawker stalls that are selling quality and excellent meals at $2 in this expensive city called Singapore. And they are continuing to do it, happily serving their grateful customers, not raising prices despite all other costs being up.

How could they do it? Or why are they so stupid to continue to do it and not ripping off their customers by claiming that costs are up and they need to raise their prices? Or would people be looking down at them for not earning the millions they should be and to claim that they are also talents in their own fields?

The answer, i think, is that these people are happy with what they are doing, and they are happy seeing their customers happy. They are happy with the profits they are getting and do not seek to maximise profits at all costs. Basically they are not greedy people.

But we should not be too happy about this state of affair. Soon the greedy people will come into the picture to force them out of business, raise their rentals and whatever costs. Then they will have no choice but to raise prices or go out of business.

Then people will all claim to be innocent and blame somebody else for the high cost of living. The BSE disease is a very good excuse to fall back on.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Susan Lim Award

Another great achievement from a Singaporean to have an American Award named after her. The American Academy of Continuing Medical Education awards her for her work in minimally invasive surgery by naming a Dr Susan Lim Award to be awarded to renowned medical professionals in the same field of Laparoscophy.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeleen Heyzer

Another high achieving Singaporean, landing a very senior job in the UN is Noeleen Heyzer. She is Executive Secretary of ESCAP, Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific.

A very charming lady in the company of international leaders.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie Mee the saviour

The shadow hovers over me but I am strong for my baby

My baby sleeps so sweetly beside me

She is my only reason to live, to die, to laugh and to cry

Tonight is reunion dinner night, most stores are closed

I'll have maggi mee and teh or

Happy New Year everyone .. life is tough, but it is not so bad, can survive, got someone to love and got internet

The above is posted by Downgrader in Sammyboyforum.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Lily Neo

As an MP she may not be given enormous projects to tackle, so nothing too visible. But in her own ways she has contributed very significantly to the downtrodden and otherwise taken for granted group of desperate people in paradise. Without her challenging their cause, these people may still be getting $250 a month to get by. Now, not only that they are getting $290, they are going to get $330 soon! And people now realised how pathetic and difficult it is to live with that kind of money. Maybe some people may think that for such people, the money will be too much for 3 packs of maggie mee a day.

Now don't ever think that this is an easy thing to do. For raising it in Parliament, she was embarrassed. She took it quitely. She is a true champion for the poor and deprived, with a real heart. She is sincere in what she is doing.

Don't be surprised that one day she will be honoured as the new Goddess of Mercy of Paradise.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Marshall, Singapore's First Chief Minister

Many good things have been written about David Marshall in the Straits Times today. Kishore Mahbubani summed it up in a few words, 'a remarkably good and decent human being.'

He came into politics and fought like a gentleman. When he lost and became the opposition, he formed his party and accepted the rules of the game, the change of political power graciously. He did not manipulate the system or amend the constitution to make it difficult for opposition parties to challenge him. Or maybe he did not stay long enough. He quit his post, he resigned when he failed to deliver his promise.

Some have called him naive politically, but that is why he is still regarded as a good and decent man. A respectable politician is hardly a term that people used but is being applied to David Marshall very appropriately.

How many politicians could leave a legacy of respectability when they lost power? Maybe it is all history. It was a time when goodness, honour, selflessness, serving people and country were virtues that people truly believe in. Today many of these so called virtues are uttered freely without any sincerity nor intention to uphold them. Some even sneer at such naive concepts or ideals.

David Marshall will be remembered in our history as a good man.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrating Colonial Governors

While we are celebrating the old greats of old Singapore, maybe we should also be celebrating all the great colonial masters that once ruled this little island. I have read a very interesting and detailed write up of Farquhar in TheOnLineCitizen forum. It is a great piece of write up that would put all other write ups of Singaporeans to shame. The contribution by Farquhar and Raffles were truly great.

And with the definition of citizen a little changed, with PRs regarded as locals, all the ex governors should easily fit the bill. I can recall names like Shenton Way, Cecil Street, Robinson Road, Nicol Highway, Smith Street, Stanley Road, Cavenagh Bridge, Anderson Bridge, Fullerton Building, Collyer Quay etc etc.

I would like to suggest building a series of bronze statues of them to line the new museum in City Hall. That would give a nice touch to our colonial past.

Don't agree? OK, OK, never mind. Take it that I have not said anything. Pass.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Woon the romantic

A few months back when Chan Sek Keong spoke to the young lawyers, he raised the problem of pay and shortage of lawyers. And as expected, he in a way suggested that the solution is to pay them more, a time tested and no need to sweat the small stuff type of solution.

Yesterday Walter Woon made an appeal to young lawyers to work with him in the name of altruism, to serve with a sense of public duty. He wanted 'to attract lawyers who will look beyond financial gains. For saying this, he must be totally out of synch with the great Singapore mentality.

Where got smart people work not for money? And lawyers are smart people. But I like this fellow. After so many years in the establishment, he has not been seduced by greed, that money is everything in life. In a way he is a romantic inside, a little like me.

It is refreshing and healthy at this point in time to still be able to find such a man in public service. I thought they were extinct. A little idealism and romanticism is good for the soul. Anyway he need not worry that no young lawyers will join him. A big pay rise is on the card and coming very soon.
sesame seed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Easy to Talk Altruism. Reply with quote

Easy to Talk Altruism When You Already Have the $.

For people who have already made it, they can easily talk about altruism.

However, for most people, including the young lawyers just coming out to
earn their first buck, money is the most important in this materialistic world.
This is especially so in the little red dot, where the political leaders are using
dollars and cents to motivate themselves and their own kinds, led by the
most seasoned master mind of manipulations.

I can also talk big if you put $10 million in my bank account.

All that glitters is not gold. I would not be bought by sales talks that easily.
Especially in this Make-Believe World of Complacency.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebrating the Civil Service

The Civil Service as an entity deserves special mention as the backbone that holds Singapore together as a nation. Not only that the Civil Service is the storehouse of talents, not many in Parliament can match the academic and intellectual talents of the civil servants, it is also the longest, continuous surviving organisation in the history of Singapore.

Political masters and politicians come and go, the Civil Service will stay and continue to serve the people, through the politicians. Without the Civil Service, the politicians will be more like a bunch of magicians pulling white rabbits from a hat. It will simply be magic for a show. It is the civil servants that turn magic into reality.

What is important and vital for Singapore is for a Civil Service to remain politically neutral, not beholden to anyone or political party, to do what it should do, as the non political govt organisation, looking after and managing the country's affair. An independent Civil Service shall be there to provide the continuity of govt as govt will change overtime. And it is this independence of people and mind and purpose that will ensure its legitimacy and continued existence, traversing different govts.

A Civil Service that has compromised its independence and neutrality will only see to its own demise whenever there is a change of govt.

Singapore should count itself lucky to have maintained the Civil Service as an independent institution of govt, uncorrupted by politicians and the swing of political powers. The sanctity and independence of the Civil Service must be protected and the tradition preserved for the long term viability not only of the Civil Service/Servants but also of the nation.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand by your man.

Many people did not know who she is. Many would not want to know her or speak to her. And in the list of honours for National Day, her name will be missing. This is a mother of two children who has given up the a normal and comfortable lifestyle of an academic and bring up children in a family friendly environment. She stood by her husband, no matter what his beliefs and pursuits, and soldiers on in virtual disgrace and humiliation, to stand by her man.

These are virtues that not many women are prepared to live by in this materialistic world when success is measured in how much is the man's pay packet.

Dr Huang Chih Mei is the wife of the infamous leader of an opposition party, Dr Chee Soon Juan. The latter's political experience and antics have made life very uneasy and uncomfortable for many, and was at the wrong end of the political justice. He has been named with all kinds of unfavourable and undescribable adjectives. He has been tarred, feathered and paraded on the pages of the msm. He has lost a decent and respectable lifestyle and the opportunity to bring up a family like any high income earners in paradise.

This role is now left to this dutiful and loyal wife. Under many circumstances a weaker woman would have bowed out and take on a new life. Huang Chih Mei did not, and strive along despite the many material and financial disadvantages, and social ostracisation as well.

Her qualities as a woman, a wife and a mother, are all that family virtues can ask for. And if anyone is deserving of an honour during the National Day, she deserves to be one. She is not in politics though her husband is. She confines her roles as the other significant half of the family.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wee Cho Yaw and the Wee Foundation

The Wee family has set up a $30m foundation for charity, to help the less privileged, to promote the Chinese language and culture, to foster greater community spirit and social integration. The Wee have joined the other prominent Singaporean families like the Lee of Lee Rubber, the Lien, the Shaw and the Tan of Tan Chin Tuan Foundation.

These are the contributions of people who have succeeded in their enterprises and returning something back to society. But what is more remarkable is not just this act but for a man who builds a business that has 500 offices in 18 countries. And he did it on his own, his way, without needing foreign talents.

Wee Cho Yaw has proven that you don't need foreign talents to do what he has done.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chew Hua Seng

In a way Chew Hua Seng is more remarkable for the amount he has donated to his foundation. $100m! His is new money that he has made recently. And he may not be as rich as the old rich. But his $100m foundation is a handsome sum of money relative to his wealth.

Cheers man.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lien, Tsao, Shaw and Khoo

The Straits Times also listed the above families and their foundations for charity and it is only rightful to mention them here. Dr Lien Ying Chow donated almost half his wealth to the Lien Foundation.

And Khoo Teck Puat was reported to have 'left 30 per cent of his wealth or some $2 bil to the foundation after his death in 2004.'

And the old great philantrophist like Tan Kah Kee who donated practically all his wealth to education, building of schools and universities here and in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: