Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Celebrating Singaporeans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redblood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by redblood on Thu May 22, 2008 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slapping incident is just a Singapore fairy tale that will eventually be told and retold and gain a legendary status.

It will be something like our Merlion myth. Good for story telling. Choktong was telling it as a joke and nothing more, and also to confirm that it never happens.
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am the Prince, I should know better than you, right?

A myth can only be a myth if someone had deliberately wanted others to see it as a myth.

A truth is a truth even if many people are trying to hide the truth.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ok. A tooth is a tooth in the eyes of the beholder.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howe Yoon Chong

He was not suave, charismatic, nor did he look like a TV star. Maybe more like Deng Xiao Ping. He was the unglamorous man that got things done. This is another pioneering leader that helped to build what Singapore is today.

Would anyone put up a statue of him beside the foreign worker to honour his contribution?

He was famous in Mindef. Heard stories that when he called up officers into his office, they trembled in their pants. And when he was scolding them, you could hear his voice at the other end of the corridor. Did I get my stories right?

He was something like Goh Keng Swee, a doer that got things done with no nonsense. I did not know him as a man of humour. But he did joke. 'My hobby is getting some rest.'
redblood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Last edited by redblood on Thu May 22, 2008 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howe Yoon Chong's last words

He may not have said it. But his death at 84 is a clear message that not many will live to 85.

Don't bet on it. Enjoy it when you can. Money after 80 is practically irrelevant to many.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho Ching

The East is getting redder. That's what Mao said in his heydays. Yes the world is changing and changing so rapidly. Of the 3 women that were voted the most powerful or influential in the world by Forbes, two were from Asia. Wu Yi, a deputy premier of China is ranked number 2. And Ho Ching, a private business excutive, CEO of Temasek, is number 3.

Wu Yi is from the world's most populous nation, and moving fast to become an economic power. And Ho Ching, from a little red dot, one of the tiniest nation. She even out ranked Condolezza Rice and woman Presidents and Prime Ministers.

Her achievements even outshine LKY and Hsien Loong in being ranked in the top three by Forbes. LKY and Hsien Loong have never been in the top ten.

She is not only a giant in a little red dot but in the international community. Wow!
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Yam Kok Weng

A not very noticeable name perhaps. He is a dental surgeon with a clinic in Ghim Moh, Perfect Dental Clinic.

What is so exceptional about him? Tell me how much it will cost you for a visit to a dental clinic? $50 or $100 for a filling, plus a $50 X-ray which most people don't need etc etc.

I was recommended by an aunty that his charges are very reasonable. My last visit, with 4 fillings done, I was prepared to pay at least $120.

The bill, I was a bit shock. $40!

It is such unassuming people that can help to unmask the myth that all cost, especially medical cost, can only go up, one way. We need more of such professional people who practise their trades without chopping off an arm or a leg of their patients.

Charges for Filling in polyclinics

Normal-amalgam
$12.80 to $21.80

Closer to natural tooth colour
$19.20 to $32.70

Dr Yam's rate is as competitive and at times cheaper than polyclinic rates.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sim Kee Boon

Another stalwarts of Singapore passed away. He was 78. So far not one of these pioneering leaders have survived the magic number of 85. In the next few years we may see more of them leaving the scene forever.

What drove these men to do what they did for Singapore, and were paid much less than their present successors? They were paid well, no doubt, relative to other Singaporeans. They could easily buy several landed properties. But their preoccupation was not money. They were driven by a mission, by the challenges ahead, and by good leadership. And they strove to build a little paradise from the swamps and jungles.

What were the motivations of today's leaders and men in similar positions?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Hui Kok Pheng

Singaporean doctor answered SMS call and rushed to KL to save life of 17 yr old Foo Chuan Wing who was in the ICU suffering from lung infection.

And he charged only a fraction of the market rate for his service which was actually an out of the normal call of duty. I think money was never in his mind except to help save the boy.

Who said everyone is motivated by money?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goh Poh Seng a cultural medallion recipient

I read with a little sadness, the anticipated return of one of our cultural and artistic pioneers later this month. Goh Poh Seng was in the thick of the infant art scene within our shore. He was everywhere when arts and culture was sprouting up and breathing on this infertile ground. I remember his jazz cafe lounge where one could have a drink and participate in poetry or music, in a warm, joyous and uninhibited atmosphere. Imagine that this kind of activities were frown upon! What kind of mentality was there, then?

Unfortunately that could be one of the key reasons why he had to leave this island that he called home. The air then was stale and suffocating. Breathing was difficult for artists like him. He left on self exiled to Canada where the cold artic air were fresher and allows him to live a freer life, unrestrained, undisturbed and nothing to fear.

But he was disturbed, emotionally, and spiritually till these days. He has finally taken steps to come to terms with the past and is willing to walk down memory lane, to meet new and old friends once more, in the island he called home, once.

Actually, he left, but never leaves....
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noreen Chan and Dover Park Hospice

The Hospice has withdrawn from the Medifund scheme. The reason as explained by Noreen is that the philosophy of Medifund is in conflict with the Hospice. Its practice 'has always been to subsidise needy patients from its coffers before they reach such dire straits,' said Noreen.

The practice of Medifund is 'typically (have) to produce documentation to show that they and their familymemebrs have little or no money left in the Medisave and bank accounts.' This is when Medifund will cough out some subsidies. In practice, none of the Hospice patients have reached such desperation to benefit from the Fund.

What really is the problem is that you must be really in deep shit and dying before you get a little help.

I salute Noreen Chan and the Dover Park Hospice for taking the wise and humane decision to back out from such draconian conditions. Where is the compassion for the desperados?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added Dr Seet Ai Mee in this celebration. She is the force that is the deciding factor for Dover Park Hospice to dissociate from the Medifund.

If people want to be kind, compassionate and generous, it is very easy to do so. It is time to use the heart and not the head. To put people under more stress and to dehumanise people just to receive a few dollars of help is mean. We cannot treat the downtrodden this way. If one wants to help, just help, wants to give just give.

It is very wicked to strip people naked to see if he still has a dollar stuck in between his butts.

The money to charities and charitable homes are given out of human kindness. Given freely and to be received freely. Turn them into a machine, and we will become senseless machines.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgriFood and Veterinary Authority

This is the organisation that keeps Singaporean fed without having to worry that the bottle they drink or the canned meat they eat could be poison. And they have done such a good job over the years that their words are as good as gold. They said you can eat means you can eat. We just take anything from the shelf and know that it is safe. Thanks to AVA.

The AVA has reached such a high standard of quality control and consistency that Singaporeans should not only be grateful to them but also be proud that such an organisation exists.

The latest case of food poisoning at Prima Deli is the outstanding proof that the people have great confidence in AVA. Once AVA said clear and business is back to normal. No fear that there will be a repeat. No doubts at all. That's how good AVA's reputation is.

We have good people in the right places to make this island ticks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: