Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
World class public transport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERP coming to MRT? Huat ah!

Some times back I wrote a tongue in cheek piece on ERP in MRT. Now looks like this is going to be a possibility. This time it is to stagger people using MRT instead of cars using expressways. As a money making concept, this is simply brilliant. Yes there are many ways to skin a cat.

Let me quote a few phrases from the New Paper.

'In Adelaide, too, public transport fares are 25 to 45 per cent cheaper between 9am and 3pm, compared to earlier and later peak periods.

Ms Tammy Tan, spokesman for SBS Transit, which operates the North-East line, said a staggered-fare system is possible in Singapore. She declined to elaborate.

But SMRT, which operates the North-South Line, said it prefers to cut congestion by increasing the frequency of train runs.'

Maybe we are safe with SMRT for the time being. As for the North east line, pray hard.
sesame seed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, boycott NE line. Seems like it is not making money sufficient to the wish of some people. So, perhaps, it is beginning to become desperate.

If it were to implement such measures, then I guess it may backfire.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic parking guides are up

Electronic panels showing the number of parking spaces available in the Marina centre area are up. Nice. Wonder how much they cost and who is paying for it, plus maintenance.

They forgot to provide a viewing area on the side of the road for motorist to park and check which car park has available lots. This would be more convenient and avert any slowing down of traffic or accident when drivers have to look at them.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More trains running

MRT has increased the number of trains running and reduced the waiting time for the next train. This must have brought some relief for commuters as the trains should be relatively less jam packed and there will be more air to breathe.

With the increase in frequency and the same number of commuters travelling, the cost will definitely go up relative to revenue. And if MRT cannot generate more revenue from its other sources of income, eg rentals and advertisements, the profit will definitely go down, or may not rise as much in percentage term. And if the company must register growth in profit to satisfy the shareholders, and to pay more bonuses to its staff, what is the next logical development?

Commuters must be prepared for higher fares for sure. There is no magic formula when the trains are operated for the primacy of profit first and national service second. It is not like national service pay where a NS men can be paid a few hundred bucks and if not enough, go back to parents for more pocket money.

The public transport is a private business organisations and does not have a duty to perform national service, just like restructured hospitals. Soon schools too will not be doing national service. And many ministries may go along the same concept.

Sit tight and enjoy the ride while you can. I am also being proactive, looking ahead.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans afoot to ease Jalan Kayu congestion

This heading was followed by a letter from Yam Meng Keng, Chairman, Jlan Kay CCC/EUP Working Committee in the Today paper. He thank George Pasqual and Jayandran Sandra Alison for their letters on the condition of Jalan Kayu Estate. It seems that the estate is also faced with congestion problem and this will be resolved soon.

Who knows, ERP gantries could soon be erected in Jalan Kayu. For solving traffic flow problem, nothing is more effective than ERP.

I would not dare to complain about congestion in my estate. It could be an invitation for more ERPs.
sesame seed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERP = Endlessly Robbing the Poor.

also,

ERP = Eternal Ruling Party.

That is why someone is so sure that he still can be PM in 13 years time!
maxxter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: tv mobile Reply with quote

hi guys, pls support the petition against tv mobile.. http://www.petitiononline.com/tvmobile/petition.html
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maxxter.

Welcome to the forum. Will take a look at the petition.

I have no strong views on the mobile tv. What I am concern is that they will pass the cost of intalling and maintaining the equipment to the commuters. So far I think the revenue is not covering the cost especially those screens they installed on the train. The commuters are paying for them for sure.

Cheers.
maxxter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyyas, thanks Smile not only is tv mobile blatant profiteering, and at the expense of general peace and public decency, i dont think being inundated repeatedly with mediocre screaming shrieking programs do much for anyone, especialy after a long day's work.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMRT profit soars to $150 mil

Full year profit soared despite higher fuel and operating cost. Profit rose by 10.7% due to higher ridership and other incomes.

So will fare price come down? I don't think so looking at oil prices. I think more increases are likely if the mindset and past precedence are to go by. And the reasons of the past can always be pushed out again and again.

And don't forget that they are answerable to the shareholders to bring in ever increasing profits.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to do a little national service

Or maybe put it another way, time to reciprocate and return some profits to the commuters. This is what SMRT and Singapore Bus should think of doing. The govt is working so hard erecting ERP gantries and raising ERP charges to pressurise motorists to take public transport instead of driving. And the results can be seen by the packed trains and buses at all hours. All these through no effort of the public transport companies but the govt.

Public transport companies' profits are going to soar with such heavy usage and instead of trumpeting their huge profits, why not help their loyal commuters a bit huh?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bus rules

Some bus lanes are full day, some are only for certain times. Fantastics. I think all cars must be fitted with a bus lane detector device to tell the driver which is which. With so many traffic rules, where got ERP gantries and when they are operational and how much to pay, it is going to be very troubling. Then got to remember where got traffic cameras just in case you go a bit faster.

Now buses are fitted with cameras to capture errant drivers and each fine is $130. Wondering how much is each camera costing the bus company and how much it costs to maintain the system. And who is paying for the increase in cost? Obviously not the bus companies.

Next cameras to catch littering in HDB estates? Cameras in foodcourts to catch smokers. Please include the lifts also.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to catch the bus/train cheats

Public transport companies are going all out to catch these petty thieves for cheating the transport giants for a few cents or a few dollars per trip. These are big monies to lose and it is estimated that the total amount lost is $9 mil annually. At $1 a trip cheated, that is 9 mil trips or roughly 25,000 trips daily. Either we have so many cheapskate buggers or cheats, it is still no good. Cheating is cheating, even for a few cents.

It is now like a war against these petty thieves, and manpower and all resources, including satellite technology will be harnessed to save the $9 mil and to teach these useless buggers to be honest. People who have to cheat for a few dollars are not worth living.

And worst still, there is a higher justification for the huge amount of money going to be spent to tackle this cheating problem. If not because of the cheating, transport companies need not keep on raising transport fares. So the cheating hurts the majority of the honest fare paying commuters. All fare paying commuters must be grateful and should lend a helping hand to catch all these cheats.

And when the problem is solved, they can expect fares to be lowered. Or at least there will be lesser fare hikes.

The moral of the story is that if these people want to cheat, they must cheat big and in style. And they would not even be called cheats if they are smart enough to do it. They will even be respected for being able to collect hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars without anyone knowing what is happening. The real and big cheats always get away and it is the small petty thieves that are caught and embarrassed.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRT adds 700 more trips weekly

MRT has added more trains to alleviate the congestion in trains and lessen the waiting time. Commuters interviewed hardly noticed any difference though some said the trains were slightly less crowded. With 700 trips a week added and the impact was hardly felt. It can only mean that the trains were still travelling in full capacity.

What is interesting is that some(two spoken to by the media) commuters expected a price hike for the additional trips and welcomed higher fares. MRT has commented the additional trips would cost another $5 mil annually. Would this be a reason to raise fare given the $150 mil profit it earned last year, and could be more with increasing ridership? The additional $5 mil cost could turn in more profit rather than lost as more people switched to take public transport.

My view is that a price hike is good. It will force those who cannot afford the fare to give up taking public transport. They can walk to work. This will help to relieve the jam in the trains. For those who can afford to pay more, it will be a blessing in disguise as they will be able to travel in more comfort with lesser passengers to squeeze with, more free space and fresh air.

Geeze, I am getting wicked, talking like an elite. My comfort comes first and I will pay for my comfort. Those who cannot afford to pay is their problem. They are not fit to be around. They should work harder and find the money to take public transport. And it is so cheap. How can they said they cannot afford to pay? And cheat some more! TParadise has no place for the unfit, lazy and untalented.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more ERPs!

Yes, believe me, ERPs are obsolete. With the price of petrol shooting to the sky, casual driving is out. Driving to work is also out for many drivers. The road congestion problem is solved. There will be fewer cars on the roads.

Now comes the big headache. How to find alternative revenue to replace ERPs? Congestion in car parks! Car parking fees to go up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: