Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
World class public transport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERP needed in MRT stations

While there is this push to get the richer Singaporeans to take public transport, the people who are so used to the comfort and privacy of driving their own cars, more thoughts are needed to make sure that travelling in MRT and buses are up to their expectations. At the moment taking public transport is a filthy, smelly and unhealthy experience.

The trains and buses are clean, but not the commuters. Despite all efforts to make the facilities world class, spick and span, the commuters will stride in in their dirty and smelly working clothes and to rub them against your clean while shirt or expensive blouses. They take great pleasure in doing that.

Then the smelly ones. You have to exchange your Colgate Mint breath or your expensive mouth spray breath with their smelly breath. You breathe out, they breathe in. They breathe out, you breathe in, at close quarters, exchanging breath.

And of course the sick, those with flu or whatever, sharing everything they have with everyone in the confined space of a train or bus.

How would the richer Singaporeans tolerate such stuff when they are used to some personal hygiene and cleaner air and better smell?

Maybe the first one or two train carriages should be cordoned off with ERP gates and commuters having to pay extra to get in. This will provide some separation for those who wants a little space and comfort.

Such segregation is not new. The airlines, trains, hospitals, express buses etc are doing it. But just don't call it first class or any snobbish name. Maybe call it express trains or ERP, Express Room Passengers!

It is unthoughtful to force the richer Singaporeans to take public transport but failing to provide a higher level of service to them. It is unthoughtful to provide a world class service standard to all commuters knowing that now all can or would want to pay for it. Have a standard service and a better service for those who want to pay more. Huh, paying more sure rings a bell.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comprehensive changes to improve transportation

It is a major overhaul of the road system and the changes are very well thought of and should make our roads freer not from no need to use but unable to afford to use. For those who still need to use the car, they will just have to pay more. For the casual drivers, they can jolly well park their cars at home. For those who really need to drive for some reasons but cannot afford to pay, just too bad. This point may hit hard on essential driving and casual driving for those who can afford to pay. Got money can travel, even for the fun of driving everywhere.

Maybe the Raymond may want to consider allowing a $10 upfront free usage for all motorists as a kind of gesture for those who may need to drive on some important or urgent matters.

A second point that raised my eyebrows is the provision of electronic info for carparks 400 metres away. This is a sheer waste of public fund and technology. When use in a car park it makes sense. Putting such information on the road at quite a distance is, to put it kindly, rubbish. How would it help when 20 cars see the info and rush for a parking lot?

One development from all these changes is that many will have to park their cars at home. That will provide a new opportunity for car parking business. HDB car parks can be spruced up, carpet the carpark, cameras to allow owners to view their cars in their homes, car washing facilities in every floor, private lots for owners to print their names on the floor etc etc. Aircon the carpark so that owners can read books sitting besides their $100k cars.

These additional services will allow owners to happily park their cars at home. And a small circuit can be provided for the owners to drive their cars in circles to warm up the engine. Otherwise there will be starting problem from lack of use.

Car parking business will be changed dramatically.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Public Transport Month

In view of the traffic congestion, Singaporeans should drive less. We should support Raymond's initiative by taking public transport to work or play.

Let's make February 2008 a 'Take Public Transport Month.' For the month of February, everyone should leave their cars at home and try taking public transport for a month. If we can do that, we may change our habit of travel and free the roads for the rich car owners.

Hopefully, when the public start to take public transport, the transport companies will not find the excuse that they cannot cope and thus have to raise fares to stop people from taking public transport. Can the Raymond promise that this will not be the case?
Grunt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRT has only 1 track to run.
same for Buses, only 1 lane to ply.

Taxis are for the luxuries seekers and emergencies.

Don't forget we are getting more masses as the population
boom that is what stretching and packing the seats.
Aside, today annouced foreigners shares of job allocation
increases while locals decreses and they say it is good for
Singapore !

So, what is there to argue when there is so limited space and
resources but to wait for the reckoning of sound increases ....
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money everywhere

With ERPs as another great source of revenue, there is money everywhere. And motorists are also 'encouraged' to use public transports, the bus companies and SMRT are going to laugh all the way to the banks. They may be crying, that they can't cope with the volume of people traffic. They would not cry because of the revenue they are collecting.

Now, where are these money from the ERPs and the commuters taking public transport going to? The shareholders of transport companies must be the great beneficiaries with the govt helping to promote their services. Shouldn't some of these profits be ploughed back to the people in some ways? The increase revenue is due to govt effort and policies, not because of the effort of the transport companies. What kind of private business can get this kind of booster from the govt?

Is it too much to ask for some kickbacks to benefit the commuters in reducing fares? Or are we expecting fares to go higher because of increasing demand?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great planners

The thing that Singapore excelled and did very well is estate planning, infrastructure development and driving the economy, and many other things that planning can do. We have planned everything, and anything that can be planned, we have thought of it and planned ahead.

But one area we have failed miserably, that is transportation. We have let the problem grow for too long, and not because we cannot afford to solve them. And this is weird.

Of all things, transportion, the roads, vehicles, and population are all numbers that can be crunched easily. Dealing with numbers and being able to manipulate the numbers to a high level accuracy is our forte, what we do best.

Can I say that these problems are predictable and could have been forseen and solved progressively instead of the gridlock we are talking of today. Luckily now we have Raymond Lim to look at it closely and to do something about it, quick and fast.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam packed MRT

Whichever idiot ever suggests that it is a good idea, a bearable idea, to be jam packed inside a MRT train should first be put through the process and experience what it is like to be sandwiched between two smelly commuters. If he can stand the smell for 3 minutes, he is qualified as a super pig.

For only pigs will be accustomed to such smell from a pig sty.

Who is lauding the great Tokyo squeeze as something that we must get use to? What kind of world class standard is that?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERP, pay according to usage

Thomas Koshy has some great suggestions in his article on ERP rates in Today. The principle he relies on is that the more one crosses the gantry, the more one pays. And for those who cross more, the rate will also be higher.

At the other end, I like this best, is infrequent users will be given a kind of waiver for the first time they cross a gantry. The fees not collected is compensated from the high users.

As for those in the transport business and need to transport goods and people, try to use buses and MRT to save on paying more ERP charges. And for those unfortunate poor buggers whose travel patterns require them to cross ERP frequently, or have an ERP outside their homes, maybe they can introduce something like a frequent travellers or mileage rewards like what the airlines are doing.

Very interesting suggestions, the same principle as using water. The lesser water people used the better. The lesser people use the roads, the better.

Why do we need to build roads and rails?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call for govt to take over public transport

Ng E Jay wrote to the ST calling for the govt to take over public transport as privatisation does not lead to more competition and efficiency. Has Ng E Jay forgotten that only through privatisation can organisations become more efficient?

Taking over by the govt, according to our conventional wisdom, is a step backward, and public transport will become less efficient. Only through privatisation can public transport become efficient. And that is the tooth.

Are Singaporeans gullible or unthinking?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improving public transport - Taxi bus

The bus and MRT system will now be boosted with a taxi-bus system. Taxis will now operate more like buses and MRT with designated stops to pick up and unload passengers. Maybe the next step is to charge taxi fares according to the number of taxi stops and have regulated taxi routes.

I hope the little convenience which used to differentiate taxis from buses and MRT, like bringing passengers to their doorstep, will not be missed. And for the lost of such a convenience, taxi fare can be lowered to meet the new level of service.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taxi bus fumble

Say what you like, claim whatever you like, the taxi bus concept is another bungling concept that needs to go back to the drawing board.

Why are we getting this kind of half baked solution from super talents?

I better not say too much or people will be very angry.
panter92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taxi drop off problem in the CBD is being looked into as I type.
Grunt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said so many times

.... they are just digging one hole to cover another blindly !

First, they want to encourage Taxis to ply into the CBD area by
increasing fares as well as the on call and CBD charges.
(Why the hell they do not reduce the bloody rental charges -
No devil is asking !)

Afterwhich, the outside CBD parameters left neglected nobody want to
pick up for every taxi harry going in the CBD for the kill.

Now, they say it congested and for the safety that all taxis need to pick
and alight passengers at Taxi Stand ! ..... duh ....................................

What other lame and stupid U-Turn remedy can those not taking
Taxi policy makers going to implement next ?

And WE are paying this ID10Ts Millions not to see this coming and
wasting good public money in building new taxi stands and signages !

Meybe, they loved challenges !

Oh forgot it's not theirs in the first place and they had a very large
surplus after the GST hike huh ..................................................

In the name of Safety, what bloody bullshit excuse can they come
up with. How many accidents concerning Taxis in the CBD area
against outlaying areas that warrant such a concern with regards
to taxis swerving in and stopping suddenly to pick up customers ?

Insofar, none appear important or fatal to be highlighted or reported
in the MSM till date.

Right, Bus Lane - those buses are god protected saviours !

Will see what they come up with next .... else ...........................

Employ me - I have the cure ........
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic woes in Tiong Bahru

A letter from Ng Sze Wai inthe MyPaper complained about the traffic woes in Tiong Bahru.

Have no fear. It will be easily solved if a few ERP gantries are elected. Don't worry, a piece of cake.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4 passengers per sq metre

Is this an acceptable standard in our MRT? No doubt many countries even use a higher figure than us. Just because there are people being sardined, does not mean that it is acceptable. We need to define what is our own acceptable standard.

We have been encouraging our people to drink sewer water, or put it bluntly, shit water, urine water. Hmmm, is this really our standard of well being?

3-4 passenger per sq metre, if one is to include space taken by seats, that could reduce the capacity, the density is much higher. Maybe we are ok if we consider the fact that we are smaller and more petite.

What is important is to find our own standard of comfort and not blindly quote other people's standard to determine what is good for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: