Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Join me to give TOM(The Old Media) a run for their money
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redbean Soup
Tonic for the soul

This is a collection of essays and satires posted in http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg by Chua Chin Leng aka Redbean

My book is off to the printer. It would be just about 200 pages but only managed to squeeze in 54 articles. I thought I could put in 100 articles but with an intro appetiser to each article to bring it into context, it is the best I could do.

Think should be able to get it out before this month. Waiting for confirmation from printer on date of delivery.

Thanks folks for the encouragement.

Redbean
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Singapore become a mouthpiece of the US?
The bashing of China and North Korea is fair game in the West and in America especially during the Presidential Election. The West and the Americans have vested interests to want to do so and attacking foreigners and foreign countries in the name of freedom of expression is another American exceptionalism backed by military might. They need to create fear and tension to sell their weapons of war. Without an enemy to fight for, there is no need for countries to buy more weapons from the Americans. By creating an enemy, it was the Soviet Union, now China and the Axis of Evil in Iran and North Korea, the Americans and the West are dividing the world and dragging them along, telling the daft who are their enemies, and the unthinking daft keep nodding their heads to go along unconsciously making China and North Korea their enemies.
In the case of China, a peaceful and stable world would allow China to get richer and stronger in the long run. There is no need for China to want a war to destroy its pace of economic development. Only countries that depend on an unstable and troubled world to sell weapons want to create tensions and war, to benefit from chaos and destruction, supporting insurgents in the name of resistance forces, agitating and inciting wars, raising tensions all over the world.
In the case of North Korea, it is a hermit state and has nothing to do with any country other than its political differences with the divided South Korea. Why is the rest of the world, especially stupid people in Sin City so disturbed and angry with the North Koreans? Why is the sending up of a satellite seen as provocative and with the intent to start a war when the Americans are in possession of WMDs, 7,000 nuclear warheads that can destroy this world several times over, with 11 aircraft carriers and more than 70 submarines with nuclear capabilities, military bases in all corners of the world, are seen as weapons of peace and not of war? How silly can the Asians be when a gangster is in charge without them knowing?
What is silly and ridiculous is that the local media is splashing anti China and anti North Korea propaganda written by westerners on its pages daily like these two countries are enemies of Sin City? Has Singapore become a mouthpiece of the Americans in an anti China anti North Korea coalition? The daily publications of such negative and biased views by the Americans would over time create a very negative image on the readers of China and North Korea without them knowing why. Just look at the hate the bananas have of China and North Korea and you will know why and the outcome of such reporting. Growing up and a life time of reading such western craps would turn the bananas to think they are Americans or westerners and seeing the world with the western world view and western agenda. How to comprehend why the media would indulge in such rhetoric and propaganda reporting against foreign countries as if it is the right thing to do? Does the govt or MDA have a role in monitoring and managing the neutrality and objectivity of news reporting in the media?
How is Hsien Loong going to explain to the Chinese and North Korean leaders when they meet about these daily barrage of anti China and anti North Korean western articles in the local media? Freedom of the press or we are doing what the Americans and the West dictate to us? Why are we antagonizing the Chinese and North Koreans daily as a normal affair?
Can you believe it, ‘Beijing tensions fuel S$748b arms race in Asia Pacific region’, not because of the American provocations in the South China Sea? So, there will be no arms race if there is no China in the South China Sea? Why are the Asean countries buying arms, to fight China? And what about this, “China’s actions ‘raise chances of conflict significantly’”. Who is raising tension in the South China Sea? Is China claiming islands belonging to some Asean countries or the US? Or are some Asean countries claiming islands belonging to China?
And what do you think the US warships and war planes are here in the South China Sea and not in the Carribbeans where they belong?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese media needs to extend its international influence
By Chua Chin Leng (chinadaily.com.cn)Updated: 2016-02-24 17:43

President Xi Jinping made an important date with the Chinese media industry immediately after the Chinese New Year holidays. Fresh from the Golden Week break, President Xi visited Xinhua News Agency, People's Daily and CCTV in an event widely covered by the Chinese media, a sign that the President is launching another major initiative for the Chinese media.
The Chinese media industry is likely to see a major policy shift with greater central government support to play a bigger role as major international news providers on the world stage crowded by other big media players.
Chinese media are entering the world of news reporting and communication as a late starter. The Western media have been dominating the world news for more than two centuries, telling their stories and influencing the minds and views of their readers.
Western media have many advantages on their side, from being the first movers, being first on the world stage and carving out their sphere of influence, and also the advantage of the English speaking world.
News reporting has been one sided, seeing and reporting world events and news from a Western perspective, particularly in media platforms where English is the main language of communication and a willing and ready audience of English speakers.
Chinese media has a lot of catching up to do in talking to the world, in news reporting and the coverage of world events. They are competing for readership against many very well established Western media that have attained certain level of reputation, familiarity and acceptance over the years.
China Daily, Global Times, Xinhua and CCTV are doing a decent job in presenting news from the Chinese perspective. But they are talking to an audience of converts, people who are interested in China and events in China. World news is still dominated by Western media by virtue of their extensive coverage and an army of journalists and reporters worldwide.
How could China with a limited number of news agencies that are reporting mainly to a domestic audience win the readership of the world, to compete successfully for readership with the established Western media? There is no need to reinvent the wheel in news reporting. Chinese media could learn from what the Western media have been doing for years, investing in news agencies, in journalists and reporters, in commentators and academics, to present a different world view that is favorable to China, to tell the Chinese story.
The Western media is still hostile to China and presenting China and news related to China in a negative way, stereotyping and with a Western biased agenda. There is no short cut towards erasing or changing the worldviews of China presented by Western media and their hordes of journalists and contributors on world events.
China would have to adopt a wide ranging strategy across all forms of media, from news reporting, journals, magazines, TV, movies, pop cultures, sports and new media. There will be short term and long term strategies to consider.
China could tap on the pulling power of celebrities in the media, in the industries, in the movie and pop culture industries, to harness their influence to change and improve the perspective and perception of China and the Chinese Civilization.
Cultivating brand names by acquisition or promoting popular domestic brands in the international arena, promoting China's brand of pop culture and pop idols to promote soft power.
In this regard, China could tap on the established celebrities and brand names in Hong Kong, Taiwan and the overseas Chinese as part of the ascendance of the Chinese Civilization. CCTV has been doing this very well and more effort and resources could be committed towards this direction.
Winning the hearts and minds of the peoples of the world, changing world perception of China and the Chinese Civilization are not an easy task. And this is made even more difficult when the Western media are doing all the damage they can to paint China and the Chinese Civilization in a negative light for over two centuries.
It is an uphill task but over time, with great effort and perseverance, the world would see China and the Chinese Civilization in a different light.
Chinese media have a very important and urgent task to play to change the way the world sees China after what the Western media have done to China and the Chinese Civilization. It is just the beginning of a very long journey and with many obstacles ahead.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMRT accident – So difficult to state the facts?
Reports in the Today paper on 23 Mar stated this, ‘However, SMRT Corporation chief executive officer Desmond Kwek maintains that the two victims were walking behind their supervisor and the 15 member team were walking in single file on the 0.5m wide walkway…They were 50m away from the location of the signaling equipment at the time of the tragedy.’
My contention, if the team was walking in single file in a path for maintenance personnel, the path should be safe enough to walk on, passing safety guidelines. The train would go pass them, with a bit of squeeze, but safely. The fact that the supervisor was in front of the single file, he would be the first to be hit if the train could hit the two behind him. What supposedly happened, the train missed hitting the first man, but could hit the second and the third, and missed the rest behind the third man. This was only possible if the train jumped track after going pass the first man, hit two men, then jumped back to the main track. Of course this was highly unlikely, impossible.
Today’s reports on 24 Mar have a bit more detail, with timeline of what happened but still left a lot of blanks to be filled. It went with the 15men team walking in single file, and ‘SMRT said before the team was allowed to step back onto the trackway it had to coordinate with the station’s signal unit “for oncoming trains to be brought to a stop and to ensure that no trains enter the affected sector”. “Our records do not show that this procedure took place.” SMRT said.’
So, were the men crossing onto the track to the signal equipment or 50 meters away? The above statement suggested that the men or some of the men were crossing the track or on the track near the equipment. It was only in such a position, on the track that they could be hit by the oncoming train.
What is strange is that the report did not say whether they were on the track or otherwise. What was also strange is that it was a procedural lapse, never get permission to cross onto the track.
Remember, even if there was no permission requested or granted, 15 men were at the scene. Did anyone see or hear the train coming? Did anyone shout for whoever were on the track to jump off the track? All the 15 men were blind and deaf? No one see the train coming? How does a chicken cross the road? Wait for the traffic light to turn red. Then look left, look right, all clear then cross. Would anyone in the middle of a road, or in this case in a train track, would be oblivious of oncoming train, no need to pay attention to look out for on coming train?
What is the true story? Were the men on the train track? Did anyone see the train coming? Did anyone shout to those on the train? Silent movie?
Oh ST quoted one of the men saying they were crossing onto the track and saying, “We didn’t realize that there was a train coming towards us…After I put my foot over the rail, my senior technical officer behind shouted: ‘Train is coming! Train is coming!’” This is about as complete as you can get. Still a question goes abegging. Why no one was assigned to watch out for oncoming trains in a ‘live firing’ area?
The train cannot hit anyone on the walkpath. If it could, it would hit the first man and the rest of the team unless it came to an immediate halt.
Even if the procedure was not followed, no record, there were 15 pairs of eyes and ears to see and hear the train coming? It was dangerous, but could the accident be avoided if the eyes and ears were open?
What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Wei Ling – Welcome to social media

‘Lee Wei Ling: I will no longer write for SPH’ This has appeared on 1 April after Wei Ling posted in her Facebook that she would no longer write for SPH. Yahoo News quoted her saying, “I will no longer write for SPH as the editors there do not allow me freedom of speech. In fact, that was the reason why I posted the article on LKY would not want to be hero-worshipped.”

Initially many thought it was another April Fool’s joke. Since April 1 has passed and no clarification has come forward, this must be true. This must be the biggest slap the SPH ever got from someone renowned and from the establishment, and from the family. What does it say about the SPH?

I think Wei Ling has quite a big following when she was writing for the SPH when they gave her the attention due. It would be a pity that her followers and Singaporeans would not be hearing her version of the truth any more. I think many people would like her to keep on writing about the things that no one would write about and from a privilege insider’s view, someone who is in the loop.

Perhaps she could consider penning her thoughts in social media. Someone has suggested that she should write to TRE to express her opinions now that the main media is taboo to her. She is definitely welcome to post in mysingaporenews. I would be glad if she could be a resident contributor in my blog.

My blog is not about anti establishment as some low thinking insects would want to make it to be. It is about controversial policies, thoughts, ideas and views, not about individuals, good or evil. In a way it is about the force and the dark side.

Wei Ling will be most welcome to say her piece here, with no editorial restrictions or curbs. I personally guarantee that, freedom to write as she wishes. She must speak up when necessary, for her conscience and the good of the people. The social media is at her disposal. But of course she has her Facebook to tell all.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Articles on LKY in social media
Many articles on the commemoration of LKY were posted in the social media and their contents were mostly negative. These articles would not have appeared and the fond memories and dignified final journey would have been etched deeply in the minds of the Singaporeans forever. The appearance of these articles is starting to cast doubt and prompted people to question the contributions of LKY as a pioneering leader of Singapore. Like it or not, the debate would definitely create distortions in the minds of some and make some converts to rethink in their beliefs.
The articles appearing in the TRE, ‘Lee Kuan Yew was only human, should not be revered like God’, ‘Hard truth that PM and sis must obey’, ‘Lee Wei Ling kena Davindered into sllence’, ‘Lee Wei Ling versus Janadas on Facebook’, ‘Lee Wei Ling: The editors in SPH are too timid to disobey’, ‘Why doesn’t Harry’s daughter objected to this?’, ‘Be wary of nimcompoops and sycophants’, ‘Are Dr Lee’s concerns about ‘Pa’ being venerated?’, ‘Ho Ching apologises for ‘rude monkey’ posting’, ‘LKY glorification is not about LKY but about those who try…’, all invited a lot of comments and many from negative to very negative about LKY as the founding PM of the island.
There are many more articles floating around in other sites in the social media, and mostly did not have much good things to say about LKY and with ugly commentaries. All this is so unnecessary, the consequences of the ‘ground up’ exuberance to want to commemorate LKY’s first anniversary in a big way. Like Wei Ling said, the memories, all good, were still vivid in the minds of many Singaporeans, but now so many articles have been written about the event and tarnishing an otherwise fine ending to a long and good journey of a statesman.
What a pity. Doing so much for so little, and some turning out so bad. In politics, a good feel of the ground is very important. Never listen to eunuchs.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straits Times took a shot at social media
Jumping on TRE’s error that the TRE had already apologized, the ST’s editorial on 15 June took a jab at social media in general and TRE in particular for being unreliable. Below is what it said.
‘Reliability is not the mainstay of social media of course, as it is essentially an online variant of coffee shop talk, amplified by the echo chambers of cyberspace. Hearsay, half truths, opinion masquerading as information, and ideological propaganda are feral features of this domain. Yet, if those behind sociopolitical websites made little effort to uphold even basic tenets – for example, opinions are free but facts are sacred – a collective slide to the bottom will be inevitable. Ultimately, it is the reading public that can help determine the directions of social media in Singapore.’
This is the Straits Times talking, the epitome of correctness and accurate reporting of news free from factual errors and propaganda, only the truth and nothing but the truth. This quality of the Straits Times and main media is unchallengeable given the resources and the number of professionals and editors editing and editing their articles before printing. The puzzling part is that The main media here is ranked something like 154th in the same category as 3rd world and dictator regimes and dysfunctional society. Given its sparkling credential for reporting only accurate news free from propaganda, it should rightly deserve a place among the top few most credible main media in the world. Coincidentally Donald Trump has just bumped the Washington Post for being dishonest and put it under his blacklist. This may be an exception, a leading newspaper being accused of dishonesty. It speaks only of one main media newspaper. The rest of the main media are just honest reporting news agencies. Their credibility is unquestionable. And Washington Post has replied that ‘The Post will continue to cover Donald Trump as it has all along – honourably, honestly, accurately, energetically, and unflinchingly.’ Between the two, one of them one must be lying throught its teeth and dishonest.
Readers who want to get the truth, honest news, no propaganda, must go to the main media. I am puzzled why there are readers who gave up their subscriptions of main media and went to the net and social media claiming that only in the net and social media that the real news and truths can be found, in the midst of half truths and untruths. Readers of social media know that there are many untruths and half truths in the social media and are wary and skeptical and very discerning. They are always on their guards against misleading news and half truths.
Can’t say that of the main media readers. They read the main media expecting to read the truths, not half truths or misleading news and thus would whole heartedly believe what they read, believing them to be the truths. If they are cheated, like reading the Washington Post, they only have themselves to be blamed for not raising their guards against dishonest news and propaganda. They expect the main media to tell the truth and thus are vulnerable should a main media prints dishonest and misleading news, even propaganda.
Would it be necessary to warn readers of main media to be on their guard against half truths, misleading news and propaganda in the main media? One thing for sure, if they are reading the ST, they can be sure of honest and uncoloured reporting, free from propaganda, only the truth and nothing but the truth.
What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the main media play rogue media?

Many readers tend to assume that main media are responsible institutions run by responsible people, the editors, the journalists and reporters, to report news as factually and truthfully as they are as responsible people. By now, many readers must have learnt the truth, that many truths in the main media, particularly the western media, were anything but truths and many were outright lies. The main media has done the dishonourable thing, to discredit themselves by telling fabricated news, lies and half truths to mislead and to misinform to serve their agenda and political interests.

A very good example is the South China Sea dispute case. It was very obvious that the Arbitral Tribunal in The Hague was a private and commercial organisation set up specifically for willing parties that voluntarily elected to seek the Tribunal to mediate their disputes but not a compulsory organisation of the UN. The institutions of the UN are the ITLOS and the ICJ. But since the Arbitral Tribunal made its one sided decision on the South China Sea dispute, the main media, especially the western media or those that have vested interest to want to toe the line of the American/Japanese camp have consistently and continuously been reporting that The Hague was a UN backed institution. What does this UN backed institution mean? Is it a representative of the UN? Obviously not. The UN has its own legal institutions and the Tribunal in Hague is not one of them. So why and what is the purpose of harping this line of thought in the main media when it has no legal purpose?

The main objective is to create a false impression in the minds of innocent readers that it is backed by the UN and thus authoritative and not abiding by its decision is violating international law or not respecting the UN. The truth is far from it. If it is so, the UN would have made official statements to demand that China respect the rulings of the Tribunal. The UN has taken an unusual silent stand on this issue, nothing to do with it. That speaks a lot about the legality of the Tribunal and its so called "UN backed'' status.

What is mischievous about the main media is how they glossed over the biased, unfair and unjust constitution of the Tribunal and the whole process. The main flaw is that it is an arbitration court of choice by the parties in disputes and must be neutral to both parties, agreed by both parties, before it would be accepted to arbitrate a dispute.

In the South China Sea dispute, China did not agree to the Tribunal as the arbitrator or mediator. This alone would rule out its role as a court of choice. The second important point is that both parties must choose and approve the constitution of the court, ie, appointing the judges that they have confidence to be fair and just. In this case, the judges were appointed by a Japanese unilaterally without the consent of the other party. And it was clear that the process of picking the judges was to ensure that the judges would rule in favour of the camp appointing them. And the judges were also paid by one side of the camp in the dispute.

How can a court constituted in such a contrived manner be fair and fit to arbitrate between two parties of which one is unwilling? The main media chose not to expose this fraud and played on as if nothing was wrong with the whole process and the appointment of the judges by one party and paid by one party. This totally exposed the evil scheme of the main media and the parties behind them to mislead its readers to believe in a scam. This is an insult to the intelligence of the readers and an injustice committed by the main media, a very shameful act for an institution that is built on the foundation of trust and honour.

The main media has lost all its credibility, integrity, trust and honour in the shameful way they conduct themselves in reporting distorted and one sided truth to mislead its readers. It is despicable for the main media to think it can continue to tell lies and half truths to its readers and to be able to get away with it. They could if the readers are unthinking and chose not to question the half truths in the main media. Anyone that cannot see injustice, unfairness, and fraud and go about shouting that it is right, just and fair got to have his head reexamined.

The main media have not stopped its untruthful reporting and are still reporting the rulings of the Tribunal as legally binding and backed by the UN despite the unfair constitution of members of the court. When the main media chose to report a kangaroo court as an honourable and fair court, it subjects the integrity and credibility of the main media to question and public scrutiny..
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Day Rally – Reliving the scary moment
The NDR was just another routine ritual every year and Hsien Loong was doing his part to deliver his lecture to the people on the state of affair of country and what lies ahead going forward. Everything was going fine and Hsien Loong was in his normal self injecting some humour into his speech now and then.
After the Malay and Chinese version there was a break before he came on again to deliver the main speech in English. It was nearing the end of his speech when he was talking about the third reason why there was a need to change the Presidential Election that it happened. He paused, glared to his front, both eyes wide open. Then his body lowered and tilted to his right. The camera was quickly switched to the audience that gave a silent and stunt expression. The mike was not switched off and you could hear a tumble. And then there was silence.
The audience looked really anxious. A murmur could be heard saying, ‘Hope he is alright’ coming through the TV. I too was shocked and worried. What was happening at the rally was serious and not looking good. The worse thing that could happen happened right in the midst of a ND Rally speech and the audience saw the PM dropped right before their eyes. Homeviewers must be equally troubled by the event.
When the camera scrolled back to the audience, several of the VIPs including Ho Ching and the two deputy PMs were not in their front row seats.
TRE was quick to post a pic showing Eng Hen supporting Hsien Loong who was then back on his feet. Chee Hean and Chee Meng and a few aides were up on stage next to the rostrum. He seemed to be well. Then there was an announcement for the guests to go for their reception.
At the 10pm news Tharman was heard saying that Hsien Loong was fine, no stroke. And a crawler appeared saying Hsien Loong would be back to continue his rally speech and he did, to finish the last portion of his speech, though shortened.
For those who are looking at signs and trying to make sense of things and events, the timing of the fainting spell, when Hsien Loong was touching on the changes to the Presidential Election must be telling. Was that a warning not to tinker with the Presidential Election process? If it was, then it was like someone trying to say, leave the process alone. Man propose, God dispose. Or God propose, man cannot dispose. Was it divine intervention? Of course this is nothing scientific but just a belief, an occult happening.
Whatever will be will be. Whoever shall be the next president of Singapore, he shall be and no one can stop that.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly bananas thinking like the West
I read this Bloomberg report in the ST titled ‘China’s investments changing its neighbours’ on 8 Dec. The main part of the article described the big investments China put into Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar and how the Chinese investments have boosted their growth rates to 7 or 7.5% that many countries would be salivating. China is investing in everything in these countries, from railroad to real estates and also shifting its low value factories into these countries. And Chinese imports from these countries more than double in the last five years. Should not these developments be good?
Here comes the punch line. All these are bad. Why, too much dependency on China and also the factories are at the bottom end of the value chain. Ok, ok, fair enough, putting all the eggs in one basket is bad. These countries must diversify, to trade with the rest of the world, to trade with Europe and America. Wait, wait, can these countries afford to purchase the over expensive products of the West? Or would the West want to trade with these countries and buy their agricultural products and raw materials? If no, then how, don’t trade with China and wait for the West to come calling? What about the 7% economic growth, 3% happy or not, good or not, if don’t trade with China?
And those low end production, why, tell China they don’t need them. Ask China or the West to transfer their high value production to these countries? Oh, sorry, Trump wants his factories back. And Europe will not be bothered to send their high value add factories to these developing countries. By the way, that was how China started, how Singapore started, with low value manufacturing, gained the skills and expertise and move on. Should these countries do away with low value manufacturing and leapfrogged China into high value add manufacturing? Do they have the skills, the technical people to be in the next level of manufacturing?
Why am I asking embarrassing questions? The western experts and bananas that think like the West are denouncing Chinese investments in these countries and transferring their low value add factories to them as bad. Should advise the govts of these countries not to trade with China?
Is that the solution? What is the alternative?
‘The biggest risk for frontier Asean economies is that Chinese inflows create “extractive” elites who entrench themselves in power,’ said Mr Song Seng Wun…’ May I add my piece of advice, stop all investments from China, and wait under the coconut trees for the coconuts to drop. Never mind if ‘These countries are getting a lot of money and opportunity from China…’ True, stop all investments from China, don’t trade with China. Go and trade with the West, the benefactors of these ever developing countries since the days of colonialism.
These kind of silly stories originating from the West have nothing good to say about receiving investments and trades with China. They would rather these countries remained under developed or not developing than to grow at 7% and getting a lot of money from China to raise the livelihood of their people. The solution is to remain poor and not be solely dependent on China. Just wait for the West, their former colonial masters to return to help them to extract all their natural wealth while keeping them poor as colonies.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind the headlines, looking inside the skulls

How would Trump deal with a trigger happy North Korea? Jeremy Koh

To tackle social and political issues, return to 'honest politics': DPM Tharman

Above are two headlines in Channel News Asia on 8 Jan 17. In the first headline, the mindset of the author, Jeremy Koh, is that Kim Jong Un is a trigger happy man, or the North Koreans are. How did he come to this conclusion? What did the North Koreans did to be branded as trigger happy? Did they go to war, commit terrrorist acts? Or they were testing their missiles and nuclear weapons? If testing missiles and nuclear weapons are considered trigger happy, would the USA be branded as trigger happy, the most trigger happy as they have tested the most missiles and nuclear weapons and possessed the most and threatened to use them in the most occasions? Or is conducting military exercises considered trigger happy? Which country is conducting war games all over the world? North Korea?

What about countries engaged in wars under the slightest provocations or fabricating false information like WMD, would they be considered trigger happy? Which country has been conducting wars all over the world? Not trigger happy?

Or North Korea is trigger happy because the Americans said so? A little critical thinking and common sense would easily identify who is the real trigger happy country. No prize for the correct answer.

Singaporeans are not called daft for no reasons. Their daftness is legendary.

The second question is an eye opener. Returning to honest politics. Who have been indulging in dishonest politics and who needs to return to honest politics? See the halo over my head?

Ok, let’s not engage in speculations, allegations or name calling. Let those honest people engaging in dishonest politics to start to change to honest politics. No need to ask them to own up and confess that they have been engaging in dishonest politics. That would be asking too much.

All those engaging in dishonest politics please kee chiu.

Thank you Tharman for saying the darnest thing. I know that you are referring to the international players and this is not meant for domestic consumption.

PS. Any cat wants to declare it does not eat fish and wants to turn vegetarian?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crumbling credibility of western media
Many English educated Singaporeans and Asians used to swear that western media are authoritative, objective, credible and unbiased in their news reporting. Names like the New York Times, Washington Post, BBC, CNN, etc etc were held in high regards and must read to get to the truth. They say, no lies no print. The rise of Donald Trump, the revelations by Wikileaks and Snowden, must have broken this myth that western media are worth reading and trusting.
The credibility of western media is crumbling to bits except in the heads of the stupid Asians that refused to believe that they have been fed a lift time of lies and western propaganda. Now the most powerful man in the world, Trump, is rubbishing all the western media and all his intelligence agencies as liars, telling untruth, biased reports and fake news. Still refuse to accept this hard truth?
Trump only believes in his twitting as they came out direct from his mouth, no editing or misquoting. This is about the only truth he could get. Look at his barrage at the media for reporting that only a small crowd turned out at his inauguration. Trump claimed that there were millions out there but the media was mis reporting. Who is telling the truth?
In the Today paper on 23 Jan 17, the front page photograph of the turnout at the White House was big. But the inside pages printed two photographs trying to prove that Trump was lying and the media was telling the truth. Yes, the picture of the turnout for Trump was not even a tenth that of Obama’s. And the media said the photos did not lie. Photographic evidence! This reminds me of the reported numbers of the Hong Lim crowd during the Population White Paper protest. Who got the numbers right, who was reporting the truth?
Coming back to the two photographs, first impression said the media was right, Trump was wrong. How many agree to this conclusion? I agree that the photographs were telling the truth, but a selective truth. Ask, when was the photographs taken? Could it be that the Trump photograph was taken early in the day before the full crowd was there, thus the picture looked less than half empty? When were the photographs taken is crucial to tell the truth. The media is using photographs taken at different time to disparage Trump. A cheap trick, like they used age old photographs to show famine and poverty in North Korea.
I took many photographs at the Hong Lim Population White Paper protest. And I could show you an empty field, half empty field and a fully occupied field, depending on what time I took the pictures.
Get the message? What is the truth, who is telling the truth? How reliable is the media and their reporting? You decide for yourself. Still stubbornly or stupidly want to believe that western media are telling the truth, authoritative and credible?
Trump is attacking them for spreading misinformation and lies. New York Times reported this, ‘I have a running war with the media, Mr. Trump said. They are among the most dishonest human beings on earth…’ It is your choice to believe in them.
Would the WOGs adoration for anything western continue unabated, untarnished and continue to go down on their knees to worship the western media as their God that could do no wrong and unblemished by the recent revelations?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kishore - China bashing has to stop
Finally, after a year of absence, there is life in the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy to air an alternative view from the Rajaratnam School of International Studies. The China bashing must stop. Singapore is a price taker, so stop deluding yourself that Singapore could dictate the direction in international relations, to punch above its weight, to bash China happily thinking it is something that is untouchable by China. Kishore did not say it this way, that China bashing must stop but it is as good as it is in his article in the ST on 11 Feb 17 titled Treat China and Trump with respect in 2017. Oh, in case someone got ultra sensitive, in Kishore’s article, China bashing is done by the Americans, not Singapore.
Kishore started off by quoting an asshole in Washington by the name of Peter Navarro with his idiotic and psychopathic comment on China. 'The Chinese government is a despicable, parasitic, brutal, brass knuckled, crass, callous, amoral, ruthless and totally totalitarian imperialist power that reigns over the world's leading cancer factory, its most prolific propaganda mill and the biggest police state and prison on the face of earth.' No dignified man in public office would utter such stupidity but this man is the head of the New Trade Council in Trump's office. This is bad upbringing.
Anyone who knew what the Americans have been doing to the rest of the world would find his remarks an apt description of what the American Empire is today. It fits perfectly like a glove, a despicable parasitic country living on debt by borrowing from the rest of the world and trying to print fiat money to erase its debt, brutally killing Arabs leaders and their people using brass knuckles, crass, callous, amoral and ruthless in the murdering of the Muslims and Arabs, not counting the slavery of Africans in the past and the genocide of native Americans, and reigning the world with unspeakable prison camps without trial and abusing the prisoners that have not been proven guilty in a court of law with all kinds of evil and cruel tortures. That is the American Empire that this idiot Navarro refused to see and admit but pointing the finger at China.
The westerners, especially the likes of Navarro, chose to turn a blind eye to their crimes against humanity by misleading the world that all the problems of the world are caused by the Arab/Muslim worlds and by China. And I quote Kishore, 'Few in the West are aware that the West is responsible for aggravating turbulence among the more than two billion people living in Islamic and Chinese civilisations. Instead, conjuring up images of the two Asian hordes that Western minds fear most - two forces that invaded Europe, the Muslims and the Mongols...(The Mongols are not Chinese but invaders of China).
Kishore is using this quotation printed in the Guardian, a western media, as proof of the ugliness and untruth being churned out daily to feed the dumb and unthinking readers of which Singapore has plenty to go with, the so called bananas who would swallow such swill from any western media as the gospel truth. No need to question and see further than the words in print. Kishore said, 'Singaporeans are particularly vulnerable to be influenced by these negative Western biases against china since our newspapers reprint many articles on China by the Anglo Saxon media, without noting or highlighting that these articles are inherently biased and unbalanced...'
Kishore added, 'Anybody in Singapore who believes that the Anglo Saxon media is fair, balanced and objective in its reporting on China should have his head examined. It is biased against China on many counts.' If redbean were to say this, it is understandable that the daft bananas would swear at him and call him commie. I would like to thank Kishore for saying this out loud, hopefully a few bananas would wise up and clear the shit between their ears placed there by western media for ages and not resort to calling Kishore a commie as well. Again, stupidity cannot be cured and the stupid would stubbornly hug onto their stupid thoughts to their graves. For the uninformed, misinformed and the ignorant, it is time to know the truth. Go and read what Kishore has written on Saturday and do yourself a big favour, to be enlightened and to remove the blinkers placed over your eyes by the western media. Go google Kishore’s Harvard lecture on the topic When China becomes Number One to get a better appreciation of how the whole has changed.
Now that Kishore has spoken, would the content of our local media be different, to educate the readers fairly and objectively and not to blind them with cut and paste western garbage passed off as reliable news? Oh, would the MFA also change their tact in dealings with China, to show some respect as a small country, independent or not is subjective and irrelevant.
PS. Today’s media are flooded with articles about the fear of North Korea testing an ICBM as if the North Koreans are going to attack everyone, for what reasons I dunno. And the Americans and Japanese are crying wolf and wanted to take actions against the North Koreans. Would anyone want to ask why the Americans have an arsenal of more than 7,000 nuclear warheads with thousands of operation ready ICBMs? To save the world, to hug in bed? What are these missiles and nuclear warheads for if not to destroy the world many times over. Why no protest or screaming hell that the Americans must destroy their weapons but all the crying out loud when the North Koreans are testing a single ICBM and barely possess a handful of nuclear weapons? This is the kind of biased and shitty reporting that Kishore is talking about.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump making Singaporeans angry

It is not what you are thinking. No it has nothing to do with the killing of the TPP. Trump could not do much to the believers of the TPP as the TPP is still alive in their scheme of things. The believers of the TPP would soon change tack and be very nice to Trump as they are hoping to be in Trump's good book. Abe has been trying to cosy up to Trump and got himself invited to the White House twice in less than two months hoping to gain Trump's favour and revive the TPP in whatever form.

Now what did Trump did that is making so many Singaporeans fuming? Let me give you a clue. Kishore said that anyone who believed that the western media is objective, fair and unbiased got to have their heads checked. Kishore refrained from calling these mindless unthinking creatures twits.

Neither did Trump. Trump just said simply that the western media were selling fake news, even the most reputable ones. The more reputable they are believed to be, the greater are their lies and fake news.

What has this got to do with making Trump a hated person in Singapore? Many did not know or took it for granted that the Singaporeans are well educated and well informed and thinking people. In some way this is true. But there is a catch. Many Singaporeans are brought up with a diet dished out from the western media, from their days in schools, their breakfast, lunch and dinner, even teabreaks and supper, are all western, potatoes and hamburgers. Their minds are now filled with potato chips and hamburgers. They believed every word, fullstop and comma printed in the western media. They will swear by the truths printed in the western media, without question, fear to question as if they are questioning the bible. How can they question the words of the white gods?

And now Trump is telling the Americans that the words of the white gods printed in the western media are bullshit. Oh my god, how could this be true, that they have been fed with bullshit all their life and swearing by it, without noticing the stench? Now they are supposed to vomit all the shit out. Trump has done the darnest thing, to make these dumb twits to want to throw out. But no, they would not throw out. They would say it cannot be true. What they were told were the truths, the western truth, the white gods told them.

You can imagine how mad they are with Trump for waking them up from their delusion and knowing that they were so stupid to believe everything the western media said but was fake. How could they take it other than hating Trump for exposing their stupidity? Trump would not know that he has thrown a stick into the hornet's nest. He is now their number one enemy, for telling the hard truth they did not want to know but so gullible to believe in their entire life as silly adults.

Trump better don't visit Singapore or he will need more security guards to ward off the rotten eggs and mash potatoes.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52% support budget, 32% support water hike
According to Reach, 52% of the people support the budget but only 32% support the 30% water hike. Put it in another way, 43% was against the water hike, 24% neutral, 32% for and 1% dunno. How to put these numbers in a simpler form when there is a 24% in the neutral category? This is like a 35% Elected President, which did not look or sound good. Saying 43% against can also mean less than 50% against or can give the impression 57% was for it if the details were not given. On the other hand, saying 32% support could give the impression 68% was against. Luckily the numbers for neutral and dunno were also given to prevent the confusion.
Talking about confusion, when it was reported that 52% supported the budget, does it mean that 48% were against the budget? Was the survey conducted using only for or against, with no neutral or dunno? If that was the case, then it is understandable. If neutral and dunno were included, then the 52% for could mean a few things. One, no respondent ticks the neutral or dunno option. So it is a clear case of 52% support. Or it could be like 24% neutral and 1% dunno, leaving only 22% against the budget.
If this was the case, then there is no need to fear that support has fallen from 70% or 80% to 52% since only 22% was against. Wondering how they could get a 70% or 80% number in the past. Apparently from the reports in the media, it is likely a case of for or against type of survey, no buts and ifs, and 52% was for and 48% was against the budget.
It is not easy to use statistics to tell a clear story, like half full or half empty sometimes. Statistics are meant to make things easy and clearer to understand but turning out to be a tool for magicians to amaze or to wow the audience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: