Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Join me to give TOM(The Old Media) a run for their money
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we progress up the social and economic ladder, as we become more well read and informed, as we become more aware of the our role and responsibilities to ourselves and our people, we no longer want to sit still and be fed with whatever news people think are fit for our consumption. We want to decide and judge for ourselves what is good or bad, right or wrong.

News reporting is no longer a one way street where the reporters and journalists regard all readers as captive peking ducks to be force fed with whatever they deem fit. News reporting has to change. It is interactive and responsive to the needs of the readers. The readers now demands what they want to hear and know.

This is where Cyberspace comes in. Only Cyberspace can play this kind of role of news as there are and not news as the MSM want them to be. And when the news are biased, not up to expectation, the readers are there to change them, correct them, rebut them and present their own version of the the news.

Everyone here can and should play a part in this new development. The fact that you are all in Cyberspace is enough evidence to show that this is the trend. The only thing that is holding many people back is the apprehension, the self doubt that people may disagree with your views. It is time to remove the apprehension. As for self doubt, this is a natural expectation and there will be people who agree with you and those who disagree. We are all different and see things differently. No one is absolutely right or wrong.

There is a growing trend for the young and restive to want to say their peace. This trend is unstoppable.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information the average number of unique visitors in both redbeanforum and mysingaporenews is more than 800 daily and more than 1000 monthly.

And these are the interested and highly educated people or they would not be in the net. If only 10% of them take the effort to post their thoughts and views, we will have a very vibrant forum and blog here.

I am counting on more of you to put your thoughts into words and share your views on how you look at things and issues.

Cheers
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youth reporters

I was enthralled by the quality of the student reporters on TV. Occasionally we could see the news broadcast divided into two sections, the adult news presentation and the young student news presentation. And they were good, equally objective and factual and professional in their news and presentation.

And these school children have all the latest gear, and have been trained under professionals from the media industry. Some even went on overseas stint to experience what on the spot reporting is all about. I have seen them reporting from Beijing.

Now this is the most revolutionary trend in Singapore. The essence and freshness of youth. And Media Corp should be given an award for being the Most Forwarding Looking Media Organisation. This children reporting is not kid stuff. It can be for real!

After all, reporting in Singapore is factual presentation of news and events. And these kids would just do that in its purest forms. No need to waste expensive resources to send brilliant scholars overseas to expensive and ivy league universities, and to pay them the salary they should be commanding if they can be replaced by young children. Why not, if reporting is just plain reporting. No need much analysis. Or analysis not required.

Media Corp would have a huge saving in wage cost as children would not need to be paid that well. And quite easily to manage compare to oldies. And they have all the energy to run around gathering news.

What an interesting development.
Green Peas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is MSM?
Monopolised Singapore Medias?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monopolised Selective Mouthpiece? Laughing
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you bloggers and forumers

That is what the govt would like to say but would not say it after hearing Hsien Loong’s speech at the PAP Party Conference. He had addressed all the concerns raised by the bloggers and forumers in cyberspace. The main issues were of course all the concerns about the GST, the poorer Singaporeans and the recognition and the need for a clear distinction between Singaporeans and non Singaporeans. Even the hiphop that was not hip were not missed.

The gripes that PRs and foreigners were receiving the same or better treatments than Singaporeans were put to rest in a way, hopefully. And these were issues that no main stream media would dare to raise, or if they did, in a very cursory form. Only in cyberspace that all the fires and brickbats were hurled daily to make the issues an urgent issue not to be ignored. Hotel Singapore was not mentioned directly but it was clearly denied that Singapore was a hotel for all the fair weather travellers and freeloaders.

There is a saying that the people who complained the most, who made the most biting remarks are actually your teachers. These are the people that meant well and if carefully listened to, they have a message to tell. Compare this to all those that only say good things and praises, the end result can be disastrous. It is like no warning signs and suddenly death struck.

Bloggers and forumers, you are heard. And you have an important role to play. The MSM cannot do what you are doing. They only sing praises. And without the kpkb in cyberspace, all the concerns that Hsien Loong addressed may not be addressed at all. With MSM and everyone saying only the good things, the PAP may have just go along with what it was doing happily.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggers, this is your time

For seizing the reins of the global media, for founding and framing the new digital democracy, for working for nothing and beating the pros at their own game, Time's Person of the Year for 2006 is you.

Times Magazine voted the bloggers as the Person or People of the Year. The role of bloggers and citizen reporting is playing a very significant and increasingly important role in writing and commenting about events and news, and is getting the recognition of an important international magazine.

With millions of bloggers in cyberspace, the amount of information generated is unbelieveable and they will present a serious challenge to the main stream media when news and information are expected to be packaged in an expected manner.

Three cheers to all bloggers.

Last edited by redbean on Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this quote from Eleanor Wong

'Having something to say that might mean something to someone, change how they see things, or at least make them ask different questions.'

That's what writers or bloggers should try to do.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all in the mind

While I am calling for more bloggers and forumers to join cyberspace, while all the bloggers and netizens are named the Person of the Year by Times Magazine, the battle for cyberspace has begun. Three snipers entered www.mysingaporenews.com and started to challenge my postings. It just shows that mysingaporenews is worthy of reading.

But how worthy and how good a blog is is all in the mind. When the mind is good it will see good things. When the mind is bad, it will see bad things. When the mind is big it will think big. When the mind is small it will think small. Then comes the clever element. A clever and good mind will think very big. But a clever and small mind will think very small and think very bad.

In the drawer of a CEO, there will be two books. One is for good and honourable people and one for small and sneaky people. Both are very useful to him. The good and honourable people will be groomed to take over important positions. The small and sneaky people will do the sneaky jobs. And that will be their lives in the organisation, to do sneaky things. And the CEO knows very well that only such sneaky people can do such jobs. But never will he use them for good and honourable jobs.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs Blogger's Code of Ethics?

Below is an article calling for a code of ethics for bloggers, posted in Singapore Patriots, assuming that bloggers are the culprits for some of the mess in blogosphere.

However, in my blog, which I do not attack anyone in particular, nor do I use vulgarities, maybe some exceptions, there are a few pests that have obviously been sent there to disrupt my blog with their personal attacks.

Now who needs a Code of Ethics? Who are behind these pests?

In support of a Singaporean bloggers' Code of Ethics - Part 2
Dharmendra Yadav's TODAY article calling on bloggers to self-regulate continues to draw mixed reactions from local blogosphere. Aaron, Yuhui and I generally support the suggestion. BL agrees that blogs should self-regulate, but doubts the feasibility of implementing the idea. Other bloggers, including Dr Huang, Cowboy Caleb and Elia Diodati feel that it is unnecessary and impossible.

I don't think Dharmendra and Aaron were calling for a formal blogger's association which will censor or censure its members who do not toe the line. That is not only undesirable but also impractical—bloggers simply won't join the association. There is also no intention to muzzle the "last bastion of truly free expression", as Dr Huang colourfully describes blogosphere. "Censorship" is as much a bad word to bloggers, as "welfare" is to the Singapore government.

Rather than any type of association, whether formal or informal, I would prefer a Code of Ethics that the majority of law-abiding bloggers would willingly agree to. This Code should be concise, localised to the Singapore context, simple to understand, easy to adhere to, and non-binding. Its function would be symbolic rather than regulatory. It would be somewhat like the our National Pledge. The Pledge, penned by our first foreign minister S Rajaratnam, is a short and straightforward, yet deeply meaningful statement. Almost all Singaporeans from all walks of life and political persuasions agree with it. The Pledge itself has no legally binding requirements, but those who choose not to adhere to the statements set forth in the Pledge are likely to find themselves contravening some laws of our land.

redbean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyber Pests in my blog

There are a few cyberspace pests helping me to generate traffic into mysingaporenews blog. I am not sure whether to thank them or to curse them. Their presence has definitely raise the ratings of my blog, except that their intent was just to disrupt and hurl abuses.

The age of professional thugs in cyberspace has arrived. Elfred has a new opening now, to be paid to disrupt blogs and forums. Laughing

Another business that may sprout out from this is bounty hunters. These will be hunters out there hunting down such pests and bring them to court for a reward.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should The Singapore Media Or Culture Be Shot First?
by Let Children Breathe Your Smoke

I mean seriously, don't you guys have better stories or issues to discuss? Blogs? Seriously? Blogs are what you have to talk about?

I copied the above from Singapore Surf. And today, Sunday Times devoted an entire Editorial Page on Blogs. Two third of the page was on an article by Carolyn Hong, Malaysia Correspondence, titled 'Bloggers rising to the fore in Malaysian politics.'

And an editorial comment on the negative impact of bloggings with the title, 'Bereaved Netties.' And I quote some of its comments:

'A scan of blogs and random postings would suggest the national IQ has not risen (how patronising), but then the sober, sombre types are not in the habit of sharing their thoughts. (They are most heroic after wine and good food at house parties.) Attacking under the belt. Has the Net goaded famously guarded Singaporeans into the habit of venturing opinions? Political parties' research depts are the people to ask, as sounding off on public affairs is a reliable measure of a society's engagement.' in bold are my comments.

Then it went on about Net and effect on marriage, Social Development Unit and Cupid and dating agencies.

I think it is the last part that it is really interested. There seems to be a conscious effort to refrain from mentioning the names of Singaporean blogs and forums, especially the political ones. I don't believe that professional journalists whom we were reminded by Andy Ho that they did a lot of research before writing an article, would not have known the existence of many quality blogs and forums by Singaporeans.

I am still waiting to see a major article on Singapore blogs and forums, not the food, hobbies, travels type of blogs/forums or blogs about who dating who and who is the most well dressed teenager in Orchard Road.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'You're powerful...very powerful

Media expert Henry Jenkins say the Net's so potent that it's changing the world in many ways, but people are not prepared for this.'

This is the heading of an article by Cheong Suk Wai in the Sunday Times. Jenkins, a professor from MIT, says that people are still trying to blindly figure out how to use the new power given to them by the Internet.

'The world has suddenly developed a printing press for every person on the planet,...' Henry Jenkins.

The issue is how to use this power sensibly and make it useful for society and humanity. Many are still wasting their precious time and effort hurling abuses at each other in many blogs and sites. Presumably those indulging in such callous behaviour are the unthinking kids.

What you say and post is important as somebody is going to read it and be influenced by it. They may agree or disagreed with you, but whichever way, it will make an impression.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One interesting thing that came out from the NFK Showdown recently is the number of ghost letters, or letters written by people other than the names on the letters, appearing in the MSM forums.

Now we got to be very cynical and sceptical about public opinions when even the names of the writers can be forged.

And people complained that bloggers or netizens used anonymous or nicks. What is so different when names purported to be the real writers were not the real writers.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAP moves to counter criticism of party, govt in cyberspace.

This is the headline in the Straits Times today. Now, cyberspace is shaping up and is shaping ideas and viewpoints. And PAP is taking it very seriously. The ST said, 'The PAP is mounting a quiet counter insurgency against its online critics.'

Wow, counter insurgency, the choice of words could send jitters throughout cyberspace. Insurgency is the new dread word replacing Communism. Communists were sent to jail. Insurgents are dangerous especially of the terrorist kind. Would cyberspace critics and commentators, bloggers and forumers, be treated as insurgents?

Then the paper added that the PAP has sent members to forums and blogs to rebut anti establishment views and putting up posting anonymously. I have a few anonymous bloggers in my blog, www.mysingaporenews.blogspot.com, displaying some characteristics that I am getting suspicious. But then again it must be my imagination or ego to think that my little blog will invite such interest.

Further, they were there not to rebut but to post cynicism without any justifications, and personal attacks. So I shall rule them out as little brats. Definitely they don't deserve to be members of such a distinguished outfit for they don't rebut intelligently and came through as mindless little boys.

Rebuttal by PAP in cyberspace is healthy and a move in the right direction. They need to explain their actions and to dispel any false accusations or allegations. Otherwise, falsehoods, if repeated too often, may be taken as truths, or at least to the gullibles or casual readers.

But certainly they need to start out first by cleaning up YPAP forum. That is the most humiliating piece of advertisement paid and run by the PAP to discredit itself. It is the most nonsensical thing to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: