Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
medical cost: health net that was not there
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for nursing homes
There is this kopitiam talk that nursing homes will go out of business when Medishield Life is in operation. How so, the oldies are now working their feeble minds on how to capitalize on this piece of ingenius legislation. Most of them would not be able to pay for the costly nursing homes and the medical fees that they will incur. Medishield Life is a life saver that comes right on time and would be something to celebrate for during SG50.
You people still wondering what I am talking about. See, the Silver Brigade may be retired, but their minds are still functioning well, though a bit slow. With a few days to contemplate on this compassionate and caring scheme, they have worked everything out and are now smiling. They are going to say a big thank you to the govt and the committee members for coming out with this wonderful scheme.
They are going to tell Redbean that his thinking is all wrong. They will go to see their MPs on this scheme but would want their MPs to vote for the scheme lock, stock and barrel. They would want the Parliament to pass this bill especially on the part of jailing those who refuse to pay. And they would object to Redbean’s suggestion that there should be a cut off age where seniors need not have to pay. There shall be no cut off age and seniors shall continue to pay until they die, with no subsidies.
And when the bill is passed, all of them would not have to pay a single cent for the Medishield Life. And they will be invited to stay in the big bungalow in Changi, free lodging, food and medical, for life. With high cost of living, housing, medical and security, Changi Resort is the ideal abode for the Silver Brigade. Why waste such a big real estate on the criminals? Boon Wan would have his nursing homes problem in JB solved instantly. In fact he would have to build a bigger Changi Resort, an entire estate, for the Silver Brigade, half a million of them at least.
How come I did not think of this? And all their children will visit them regularly to show them their tender loving care, without having to pay for their Medishield Life premiums and no need to feed them, clothe them, house them and no need to pay for their medical bills.
Changi will become a famous resort for the Silver Brigade to retire, another Jewel in the making. With the money saved, the children and grandchildren will have more disposable income to shower luxuries on their parents and grand parents when they visit them in Changi. And they will be so grateful to the govt that they will only vote one way in the next GE.
Sorry opposition parties, you would not stand a chance with this Medishield Life Scheme. The PAP is going to sweep every seat and GRC at stake. It will be a walkover! Brilliant, just simply brilliant and deserving of every million paid to them.
Who needs nursing homes anymore? Where can you find nursing that is so safe, with 24 hour security services and doctors and psychiatrists in attendance, and preachers telling them stories about heaven and paradise?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity the Man in the Sandwich

While the young men all over the world are striking out to make a career, to make their pot of gold, our young men are struggling and beating around the bush and straggling in the river, preparing for a role that would see them putting their lives on the stake for the sake of country. And better still, foreigners, plus young men of their peers, were brought in to do the jobs they were supposed to do and eventually become their bosses to order them around in the country they have pledged and trained to die for.

Next change, a new law is being passed to add a new burden to these Men in the Sandwich. Our young men are expected to get married and bring up a family. He is expected to bring up his children to the best he could to be the nuts and bolts of our economy. Now he has to pay for their medical insurance from birth. Gone were the days when a civil servant or a soldier would have the medical needs of his family paid for by the govt and the services. Now the Man in the Sandwich would have to carry the full burden of bringing up his children for the country, to be NS men to keep the machine turning, and to pay for their medical fees to be healthy and alive, from birth.

Another burden, who do you think would be paying for the seniors, the Silver Brigade’s Medishield Life Premiums when they have no income? No prizes for the correct answer. The Man in the Sandwich will have to pay for them or they would be sent to jailrock. How could they not be paying for them when no one else will? Looking from the positive angle, this Man in the Sandwich is likely to be a magician and can pull a lot of money from his hat whenever he needs it. Have faith in the Man in the Sandwich to pay for everything.

In SG50, let’s celebrate this Man in the Sandwich. And if he is unlucky, he would lose his job to foreigners before he is 50 and expecting his children to pay for his Medishield Life Premiums in some cases. And many could look for a very long and rewarding career of plenty as security guards and taxi drivers. The latter is protected by legislation for them, a privilege exclusive for citizens.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinkie – The Naked Man
Singaporeans have been increasing been stripped of their clothing and many are as good as walking around naked, or in the Emperor’s new clothe. For the poor or those needing govt subsidies or financial assistance, they are familiar with being stripped naked to a stranger who wanted to know everything ‘under’ their clothing before granting them the privilege of govt grants or subsidies. The Mean Testing in hospitals and similar schemes many ministries are infamous for asking very embarrassing and personal questions of the applicants. They would want you to strip to your underwear or turn out your pockets to make sure they are empty.
Mean Testing is meant only to the poor and desperados, so humiliating them is acceptable. We have something that makes Mean Testing looked very tame and friendly. The new powers given to the Medishield Life Scheme to put everyone under the microscope is like a futuristic nightmare comes true. There is nothing left that is called personal and private. Your body and private parts are not private anymore. Your money and your bank accounts are no longer private and out of bound to the govt.
The bill that is waiting to be passed allows the authority to look into your medical files, to review your medical conditions at will. The bills allow the authority to dip into your bank accounts, to take from your pay cheques, to imprison you for not paying a forced so called ‘National Medical Insurance Scheme’ to provide the people with a national health coverage. Who is providing to who? No, the people are legislated by law to provide themselves with a national health insurance scheme with their own money and cannot say No. And for the privilege of being a member of this compulsory scheme that would not declare its mission as Non Profit Making, you have authorized the authority to strip you naked if needed to, to prove that you deserve some mercy to be spare the jail for not paying the compulsory premium from cradle to the grave.
This would be a good theme to celebrate in SG50, The Naked Man. What used to belong to a Sinkie, his body and money, are no longer private and personal, accessible to the authority, to see and to touch and to take, perfectly legal when the bill is passed.
1984, George Orwell anyone?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medishield Life – What is so comprehensive about it?
This is touted as a comprehensive national health insurance for all Singaporeans and PRs, a ‘health care safety net that leaves no one behind’. The only thing comprehensive, other than including all Singaporeans and PRs, is the collection of premiums. Here no one is left out, no one is left behind even if you are 100 years old. You PAY ok! And if you are working overseas, you PAY ok! Whether you are paying another insurance premium overseas that is mandated by the host country of your residence, you still must PAY. Any exceptions? I have not heard of any.
I will talk about what this Medishield Life is NOT comprehensive in another article later. So, what is the real intent of this Medishield Life other than the broadcast altruistic mission of providing every Singaporean and PR with a national health plan? Anyone wants to guess? And mind you, the govt provide the national health scheme, you PAY!
Oh, the govt is contributing $4b in subsidies. When is the subsidy money coming from? Where is the subsidy money going to? Anyone wants to guess? It would be more exciting and look more generous if the premium is jacked even higher and the subisidy, instead of $4b, make it $40b. Again, ask where is this money coming from and going to? Definitely not a cent goes into the people’s pocket.
Think what this Medishield is to you, what it means to you and your pocket. Who is the real beneficiary of this scheme? Must be You right? The answer is so easy.
The bill was passed after the mandatory and expected routine of asking questions but nothing change. The bill was passed lock, stock and barrel. The MPs may ask 100 or 1m questions, they will remain as questions. Period.
Would anyone want to know why the govt does not say it out loud that the scheme is a NON PROFIT making scheme? Is it so difficult to assure the people that this scheme is all about providing health care to the people and not to make money from the people?
Does anyone want to know why people must pay and pay until they die, if they are so ‘heng’ or so ‘suay’ to live to 100 or 200 years old?
Does anyone want to know why Sinkies must be made to pay for two insurance premiums if they happen to work in another country?
Does anyone want to know if excess premiums be ploughed back into the scheme to reduce the burden of the people or would it be, like excess S&CC be dumped into another dark hole, as reserves, and people continue to be made to pay happily ever after?
What is the assurance that medical fees are allowed to spiral uncontrollably, by ‘market forces’ and nothing can be done about it, like HDB property prices?
All the MPs are so happy about this scheme that they must be popping champagne to celebrate a job well done. And the people must also be so happy and grateful for this scheme. Any more great schemes in the pipeline?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medishield Life – Not a comprehensive health plan for sure
When Medishield Life was mooted, there were a lot of expectations that this is it, a comprehensive national health insurance scheme to replace all the bits and pieces that did not fit together, with a lot of gaps and a lot of unnecessary overlapping. Here there is, a newly cocked up, oops, I mean cooked up plan to take care of everyone from cradle to grave, no one will miss out.
And yesterday it was passed in Parliament in the second sitting like a miracle cure all drug. Everyone in Parliament is elated, so proud of being part of this process to bring this baby to life. A great achievement that would go down in history, a historic moment that everyone wants to be counted in. No need to read the fine prints.
So, is it really that fantastic a scheme? What does it seek to achieve or to replace? Let me think, I thought, yes I thought, it would replace all the schemes in the CPF and those private insurance. I thought it would replace the Medishield A and B plans. And I think that’s it. Someone was asking me, you mean this comprehensive, national, compulsory and mother of all insurance scheme that was praised sky high by the MPs only replaces the CPF Medishield Plans?
What about the Medisave, what about the Medisave Minimum Sum Schemes, still existing in toto, still got to put money in them like before, still increasing every year? So what, does it mean that the Sinkies would now have to pay for this comprehensive national health plan, and still got to sink in money into the Medisave and still got to have their money locked up in Medisave Minimum Sum, and the amount keeps adjusting upwards with inflation, with no age or time limit?
Wah lan, what is happening? Cover head, cover bottom, cover front, cover backside. The only thing that is not covered is the people’s money, keep going out into all the schemes.
So, are the Sinkies better off? Sure, except that their money in the CPF may not be enough for retirement. And for those who are not working, the jobless and retirees, got no money to put into all these schemes, maybe they would get some subsidies to help them pay for all these schemes.
Did Sinkies ask the govt for it? Did Sinkies ask the govt to help them? Never mind, the govt will help even if the Sinkies did not ask the govt to help them and then point the finger insisting that the daft asked for help, asked for it. It is another entitlement thing, the govt is entitled to come out with any schemes and make the people pay. Sinkies are also entitled to govt help for all kinds of schemes to make life better for the Sinkies, except Sinkies ended up paying. Sinkies must be very grateful for all the help from the govt. What a blessing.
Want the govt to help some more?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard choices on healthcare?
We are so rich today, probably with trillions in our reserves. No one outside the govt really knows how much is there. Only a very privilege few would have this access. President Ong asked for it but did not get the answer. And after so many years have passed, the answer is still not forthcoming. And the Govt is so proud to declare that only 1.6% of our GDP was spent on healthcare.
When the country was poor, barely anything in the reserves, we were able to provide free healthcare to our citizens, rich or poor did not matter. I have weekly dental treatments at the Institute of Health all for free in the late 50s and early 60s. My God how did they do it? They even sent a big and comfortable coach to fetch the students for medical treatments, extraction, fillings and fixing dentures. All free! The Govt was poor but caring, with priorities in the health of the citizens. Who would not vote for such a Govt? The Govt had good solid support from the people for at least 30 years. Today some fools were chastising the pioneers for voting the PAP then.
Today we have a better healthcare system that is more like Frankenstein. You don’t want to be treated. You can’t afford to be treated and be given a deadly bill that may kill you instantly. It is right for Hsien Loong to remind the people, ‘But every dollar spent on healthcare is a dollar “taken from taxpayers, and one dollar less to be spent somewhere else, whether it’s on education , on healthcare, on housing, on defence or on the personal needs of our people.’
Fully agree. A very wise and prudent statement. I would like to add, every dollar spent on foreign students, or $2 billion dollars on last count, is money taken from our taxpayers that should rightly be spent on the children of taxpayers. Tiok boh? And if $2b and still going up, if this could be cut off from funding foreign students, maybe the choice for healthcare need not be so hard. And if we stop spending on the extravagance, parties, education trips, ego trips, helping countries that don’t need our help, I think our health choices could even be easy, or at least easier. No one is asking for a return to the good old days and the good old PAP days when health care is practically free. If we save a few dollars here and there instead of wasting on monuments, vanity projects and building monuments for other countries, I think things would be very different. We need wise leaders to spend our taxpayers’ money wisely. Knowing prudence and to talk about prudence is the beginning to wisdom. Get the priorities right!
What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic Healthcare Scheme – The straw that breaks the camel’s back

Some Singaporeans woke up yesterday morning and thought they had a pleasant surprise when they read the main media headlines. Medisave Minimum Sum Scheme scrapped. For the self employed oldies, no longer need to top up until they reach 100 years or older. The good news was proven not to be. It was like the devil and the deep blue sea. In place of the Medisave Minimum Sum, with a current ceiling of $43,500, a new scheme has been introduced, called the Basic Health Scheme with a limit of $49,800. Your money in the Medisave Minimum Sum account would be transferred there. And those below 65 could expect this sum to go up and up over the years. Whatever in your Medisave Minimum Sum would not be safe. You can kiss them goodbye.

This BHS is supposed to be better designed to cater for the oldies’ medical care in old age. It also means that the oldies would not be spared from paying to the Medishield Life Scheme even when they are jobless, without any income and dying. Oh, no worry, the BHS would pay.

When a Govt thinks it is alright to make the oldies pay with their coffin money, their life savings, when they are old and jobless and have no income, the Govt lost its moral right to govern. When they would not spare the oldies and think it is alright to take their last few dollars in the name of looking after them, it shows a callous and ruthless mindset completely devoid of compassion and human decency.

There is no point talking about this anymore. Opposition parties better quickly get their acts together, offer an alternative that does not rob the oldies of their life savings. Fleecing on the old and helpless and jobless is ethically unacceptable for whatever farcical excuses. The opposition parties must come out with a plan to provide free coverage for the oldies, not necessary the whole works to keep them alive, hooked to a machine, or expensive surgery and drugs that would cost a bomb. Just provide basic medical care in Class C wards free for the oldies to pass away in dignity, with minimal pain, and with no fear of money not enough and hoping for charity. Many are wishing a quick death when they have nothing to keep them going. Stop the crap that the oldies want to live forever. Only those with millions in their savings would want that. Those that want to live forever would be to afford anything. No need to worry about them.

Oldies 70 and above are mostly in full retirement, some already retired by their mid 50s when they became unemployable due to the FT scheme. Many would hardly have anything left to live by. Many would be dependent on their little savings or children to take care of them. Spare them from the burden of paying medical insurance premium and to live in peace, to be respected and honoured as senior citizens, not to be troubled by having to find money to pay medical insurance.

This is the minimum expected from a caring and people centric govt. This is expected of political leaders that rule with a heart, not those with bad hearts, not mechanical hearts that cannot feel. Vote for any party that would look after the old and helpless, not parties that would want to rob them of their coffin money when they are old and feeble and money no enough.

This is the last straw. It reveals the kind of outrageous values and thinking in sick heads. When they say they got good hearts, don’t believe them. Very likely mechanical hearts or transplants from animals or clones.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MERS coming, are we prepared for it?

The hospital said so, Hsien Loong also said so. This is a true sign of being prepared for it. The hospitals are all well prepared and equipped with all the protocols in place. MOH has also started to screen passengers from South Korea.

With the rapid spread of MERS there, we know that they have fouled up badly. We cannot do less than them. We have our experience with SARS and know exactly what to do.The govt is well prepared, are the people and commercial organizations well prepared as well?

This MERS thing is not just the job of the govt. One thing for sure, the SMRT is the most well prepared for MERS, to spread like wild fire if a MERS infected passenger happens to be in a jam packed train. The tightly confined cabin with the recycling of little air in them makes it a perfect contraption for the spread of MERS in the shortest possible time. Our shopping centres and all airconditioned environment are ideal breeding grounds for MERS to spread.

What about the people? Are the people equipped to defend themselves against the spread of MERS? The haze season is still a few months ahead and there is no need to issue protective masks to the people yet. With a more deadly and contagious disease like MERS that will come, only a matter of days, could be the next hour, why are the masks not issued to the people? Are the people told to start buying masks and start to wear masks or to wait until an incident strikes?

When should the people be prepared for this attack since it is a matter of time before it arrives? The preparedness of the govt and hospital is only a small part of the equation.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deadly curse of the Medishield Life
How many of you could afford to pay premium to the Medishield Life when you are 70? How many of you could still pay premium when you are 80? How many of you still got money to pay the premium when you are 90, 100, 110?
How many of you could lose your jobs at 55, 60, 65 and could not find a job or retires permanently? Or if you are lucky, find a job as a cleaner and earning enough for 3 meals and think you still got money to pay for the premium?
If you have a lot of money in your CPF and minimum sums account to pay, good for you. If you have children to pay for you, good for you, but sorry for your children.
How many Singaporeans working overseas for years and still must pay for this Medishield Life premium when they are also paying for the medical insurance in their country of residence? Would all the PRs in Australia, NZ, Malaysia, UK and US and other countries, still holding Singapore passport, be expected to pay for this premium?
How many of you think this is fair and equitable for the oldies and Singaporeans working and residing overseas to pay for this premium? Why should they be paying when they are not consuming and using the medical facilities here and still have to pay premium in two countries? What is the difference between this and extortion? This govt does not see this as something wrong and unacceptable. They only think in terms of power logic. They think they are right or what they think is right and they will do it because you elected them to be the govt. And it is done for the good of your interest. They think Singaporeans are stupid and helpless and cannot do anything about it. They must be taking the GE for granted or just a formality. Sure elected to form the next govt and to do the ‘right’ thing for the Singaporeans.
Why are jobless retirees with no income, the ah kongs and the ah mahs, be forced to pay for Medishield Life premium for life? What can a govt or country with so much reserves do to help this group of people?
Some kong cums think it is right and ok for the oldies to keep paying and paying when they have no income and when the premium will keep going higher and higher as they grow older.
Pure hearts, hearts of gold, caring and compassionate? My foot!
There is an urgent need to review this scheme. It must not be a profit making scheme. Any surpluses must be ploughed back to reduce the premium. There must be transparency in the computation of operating cost and fees.
The premium for the oldies should be borne by the govt. A committee should review this and stop forcing the oldies to keep paying and paying. Alternatively the oldies should be allowed to opt out of the scheme. If not, many oldies would not be able to pay and would end up in jail with whatever savings in their CPF emptied. Heard of robbing the grandpas and grandmas?
Singaporeans overseas who are paying for their respective medical insurance schemes need not have to be forced to pay premium for Medishield Life here. Why pay for double coverage?
PS. Would Singaporeans who are PRs overseas and still have CPF accounts be made to contribute to the Medishield Life, especially those quitters coming back to scrounge for free meals? : )
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medical care when we were Third World

We are in the First World with an equally advanced medical care industry to match. We have the best medical professionals and the best medical facilities to take care of the sick. We could even extend lives by the quality of our medical professionals.

How far we have come from the days when we were in the Third World, when our medical services and facilities were a far cry from what we have today. But are we better off today than when we were in the past? I will just relate some personal experience to highlight the great differences between then and now for comparison.

In the 50s and 60s, medical care for the citizens was as good as free. Though they were not of the same quality as what we have today, there were good relative to the countries in the region and around the world. I was fortunate to be the recipient of generous dental care provided by the Institute of Health and without having to pay a cent for it, for fillings, extractions and dentures. Every week without failed, a gleaming coach would arrive at the primary school to fetch all the little children who needed dental treatment. A nurse would go from class to class to round up the children and bring them safely to the Institute of Health, not even have to pay for transportation. And the dental surgeons would be there waiting for us, to serve us.

The dental surgeons would plan our next appointments according to our dental needs, at their own initiative, happily without the children paying a cent. If they did not bother, none of the children would bother with the condition of their teeth and would not step near a dental clinic. The govt were the caring parents to the children, meticulously pandering to their dental needs with no concern about cost, about whether the children could afford to pay for them. The govt paid for everything. They did not plan for a long series of treatments for a syndicate to prowl on the poor patients like vultures on a wounded and hapless prey.

The people took care of their small illnesses and cough and colds. The public hospitals provided free medical services as well. Unbelieveable! For those who could afford to pay $15 or $20, a medical doctor would be on call and would drive himself to the homes of the sick, making house calls. If no injection is needed, the medical fee could be lesser, with medicine included.

The people were not underpaying the medical doctors then. With the $15 or $20 collected per patient, to cover medicine, consultation and transportation, the doctors still could live very well. Practically every one of them could afford to live in landed properties and making home visits in their Mercedes Benzes.

When my missus was conceiving our first child, I was then a young officer in the Air Force, I was entitled to A Class Ward in govt hospitals. And for pre natal consultations we had the services of the top gynaecologist in Senior Consultant Christopher Chen, plus delivery. And you would not believe this, everything was free then. I did not have to pay a cent for the regular monthly consultations and delivery of the baby, including meals in the hospitals.

And there was no need to make appointments months or years in advance. There were enough doctors and specialists for everyone. That was the kind of medical services we had then, when we were Third World. No need to buy medical insurance, no need to have medisave account, no need to have Medishield Life, no need to go bankrupt because of medical bills.

I am grateful to the kind of medical benefits that citizens enjoyed then, even as a junior officer in a ministry. Could not have asked for more, could not expect a more caring govt. There was no worry about medical care and affordability and no fear of falling sick. There was no mean testing. There was no one year or two year appointments in govt hospitals. The hospitals were there to serve the people, to make sure the people were healthy, the children were delivered at no cost or little cost for private patients to their happy parents. Come to think of it, those were the good old days, now gone forever.

Are we better off today?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGH hit by hepatitis C outbreak – 4 dead
It was quite normal to hear the Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew saying he was upset and disappointed with the breakdown and disruption of train services. Education Minister Heng Swee Kiat also had to brave himself up to say the same thing after the Kota Kinabalu quake when several students and teachers died. Today, the Health Minister said the same thing in front page news. According to Mypaper, Gan Kim Yong said, ‘I am gravely concerned and disappointed with the occurrence of the cluster of hepatitis C cases in SGH. My thoughts are with the affected patients and families.’ The CEO of SGH was also quoted to share his concern and apologized to the families and patients affected.
The medical fraternity was shocked. It has never happened before in our world class hospitals staffed by the best medical professionals and with the most modern facilities and equipment. Hepatitis C is rare in Singapore and can only be transmitted by intravenous blood transfusion. It is not easy to get transmitted though the hospital had reported an increase in infection rate from 2 to 4 a year. In SGH, there were 22 cases within 3 months and leading to 4 deaths. And with the long incubation period, there could be more walking out there.
This is a very serious outbreak that should not happen in a first world country but it happened. The 3rd World must be having a good laugh. The hospital is doing a thorough investigation to uncover the lapses if any and is reviewing its procedures all over to make sure that it would not happen again. Let’s hope it would not be like the Transport Minister repeating it over and over again when the trains kept breaking down. Someone must be turning in his grave for this to happen in a country that is ranked very high in medical standard and services.
Where to go from here? Best facilities, best medical professionals, best equipment, best procedures, where is the weak link? The patients? Cannot be, hepatitis is rare in Singapore.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work place exercise
There is a saying, if you love your work, you don’t have to work a single day. These words are becoming truer today just be a little tweaking in the work place and helping employees to do their work differently. Read in the media that Sheng Siong, the supermarket is teaching its staff how to live well and how to work well, how to stand, how to bend, how to carry things the right way. This reminds me of the elderly woman that picks cardboard for a living and in the process she is doing some exercise at the same time. This is killing two birds with one stone, working and exercising, or like not working but just enjoying an exercise regime.
It would not be a bad idea if organizations with manual workers redesign the way they work, how to carry things, lift things, put things up and down or moving around and turn them into an exercise routine. The staff could be strutting around in style, or doing short sprints in the warehouse or supermarket. There are plenty of space to do such exercises. Maybe change their uniforms to sports gear and instead of dragging their feet, they could be jogging or sprinting. These routines are good for health too and can keep the staff happily engaged in positive thinking, not working.
And yes, add in the music to go with it. The organizations would have happy and jovial people, physically fit and healthy, working and exercising at the same time. I am exercising the joints of my fingers at the moment. I also practice exercising my eye muscles by looking at the screens. I also exercise my mind to prevent dementia setting in. How nice, doing so many exercise at the same time punching the keys on the keyboard.
Now is this not thinking out of the box, turning boring routines in the workplace into exercises and the workplace a nice gym for the staff?
Oh, if there is a train break down, make a public announcement that it is exercise time. The commuters must be told to lug along their jogging gear. And they can change into them and start jogging to their destinations and can thank the MRT for the opportunity to jog. It is all in the mind. Get fit, go green ya?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB and contagious diseases in the most expensive city in the world
The govt is so generous to offer free TB screening to those living in Ang Mo Kio around the cluster block. With medical cost so high and unaffordable to many average Singaporeans, what if those infected refused to seek treatment as they cannot afford it? And this can apply to other infectious and deadly diseases here. When there is an outbreak, and many people are affected but chose not to go for treatment as they could not afford it, what would the govt do? Arrest them or give out free medicine?
A sick patient is a sick patient. A sick patient with contagious disease will spread the disease if not treated. What then if the patient could not afford to go for treatment?
The free screening at Ang Mo Kio so far has not turned out any more cases of TB. But 9 cases have been referred for more checks. Hopefully nothing untoward comes out from any one of them. The second part is, what if one or two is found to be TB positive and cannot afford the treatment? Those who can would not mind paying for it. But there will be those who would not, cause they could not afford to? Would they be walking around with the disease and with hospitals, govt, private, private public and public private hospitals saying pay up first, no free treatment?
Would such things happen sometime, someday, somewhere in a corner of the island, with people with contagious and infectious diseases walking around, not wanting to be treated or no hospital wanting to treat them?
This is the price to pay for turning medical services into a commercial enterprise, pay for the service, no money no service.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas cheaters discussed in Parliament
Dunno how many millions have been sponged by the cheats from the Chas scheme. And the cheats are the medical and dental clinics run by highly trained and professional people that are likely to be in the pool waiting to be picked up to run as MPs in the next GE.
Actually I don’t blame them with a system that is so flimsy and full of holes that a herd of elephants could waltz through. How not to want to take advantage of a scheme asking to be taken advantage of, you ask me lah? But in Parliament some doctor did not think so and did not think the problem is so big and so serious. Seah Kian Peng cannot tahan and was heard saying it is big money, big public money. And it is only the tip of the iceberg. Not his exact words but something like that.
When asked to enforce the medical and dental clinics to itemize the bills, Lam Pin Min was reluctant until an angry auntie blew up. ‘Why is it so difficult, given so many feedback on overcharging?’ Dr Lam, the current Minister of State for Health then replied that the MOH is ‘seriously considering making it compulsory’. ‘Seriously considering’ only mah. To do or not to do still dunno. Maybe auntie should shout at the top of her voice to be heard. We need more fierce aunties in Parliament to get something serious done. Auntie Bee Wah should call on the support of uncles like Seah Kian Peng to make sure things are not forgotten and swept under the carpet. Oh, now I remember the exact words Seah Kian Peng said, ‘These are serious monies that are going out, taxpayers’ monies.’ Did MOH think so and agree with him? This part not reported in the media.
You people out there, you think this Chas cheating thing is serious enough or not? Say leh, must say then they would say got feedback from the people. If not they may think not serious enough and the not so straight medical and dental clinics would continue to be very happy with this Chas scheme. Maybe they will set up a COI to study study first then make the final decision, to itemize or not to itemize.
Being doctors and dentists also chiat lat. Rental so high, how to cover cost? This Chas scheme is really a gift from God. The Chas card holders and pioneer generations would be swarming the clinics for free treatments. Who cares about itemized bills or no need bills, free ok leow. This is the best system so far. Win win for everyone.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My adventure into alien territory
It took me a long time to decide on this adventure, to venture into alien territory on a Saturday morning. I have never done this for decades and whatever memories of this place were from the time when I was a kid. Finally, with much reluctance, I bravely trotted into this corner of Singapore that I have never treaded for a long time.
I arrived just about a quarter to 10 in the morning. I was a bit lost with the geography of the land and had to ask to get to where I want to be. I was shown this queue machine and got my Q number. There were quite a lot of people and also ample staff to guide the new visitors like me. I waited for 10 minutes before my Q number flashed on the big screens. I registered and the customer relations officer was all helpful and friendly. What a pleasant start on this adventure. She even explained to me the procedure to save waiting time. I could make an appointment from home by logging into the system. She apologetically said I would have to for an hour before my appointment for just walking in.
To me, recollecting on my childhood experience, an hour of waiting was fair game. I went for coffee and still had a lot to time to take a look at the waiting area and the Q numbers called. Wow, another 100 numbers ahead of me. Now how to kill one hour of time doing nothing? Ok, visited the restroom. My, another big surprise, spanking clean, dry and odourless, as good as home. Because it was so comfortable, because I had one hour to spare, I took my time. I thought I had more than half an hour and strolled out casually only to find I just missed my turn. Spoke to the customer relations officer and she took up my case and yes, I was called immediately to see the doctor.
I have this blurring or clouding of vision on one eye for a couple of years. After the preliminaries he asked which hospital would I want to get the cataract done. I told him to get me the cheapest. He broke into laughter. Ok, the most convenient is Ng Teng Fong Hospital. What about the fees? Not to worry, they charged the same rate. It was a quick appointment. And I also asked for some medicine for my flu and cough. All over in less than 5 minutes.
I went to the Pharmacy and collected my medicine in less than 5 minutes and happily wanted to leave the place. Then I remembered her saying to go to the counter behind. Oops, I got to pay for my medicine. I could have just gone home without knowing that I got to pay for it.
At the payment counter the cashier said three eightty five. I said, uh, so expensive. She was apologetic and explained that I had two kinds of medicine. Ok, gave her $10 and got my change of $6.15. There was GST but absorbed by the govt, ie not GST.
My next stop was for an appointment for my ops. The cashier said go to counter 10 and press 3 on the machine. A bit puzzled but just did as told. Found the counter, found the machine, and yes there was a button for 3. Press it and was wondering what’s next. Oh, a Q number. That was wbat the button 3 was for. Took the Q number and wait. This time waited for 15 minutes, the longest wait in the whole process.
When my turn came, the customer relations officer entered my particulars and said Ng Teng Fong Hospital would contact me for the appointment. And that’s it, all over in less than an hour, without making an appointment in advance.
This was my adventure to a Polyclinic on a Saturday morning. It was simply not the same as decades ago when waiting time was long and waiting unnecessarily was the norm. Everything was so organized and befitting for a first world experience. I could not find any fault with the organization, the set up and the staff. It was clockwork precision, too efficient that I almost missed my appointment when I thought I would have an hour to wait but actually half an hour.
Every staff was professional and courteous, and, you don’t believe this… I thought I was entering alien land, at least that was what I was told. If I am not mistaken, all the staff, including the doctor, was Singaporean. At least their names and the way they sounded when they spoke. No aliens!
Whoever reinvented the Polyclinics, the organization, the processes and procedures, and the staff operating them, one could not ask for better. This is the standard to be copied by all the ministries. My adventure was in a way a very pleasant experience and a very comfortable one, for $3.85, inclusive of consultation and medicine.
This is my Singapore, the Singapore Singaporeans are proud to call home, the efficiency and quality of service that made Singapore a hallmark and model for the rest of the world.
Please keep Singapore this way. I must say I was happily surprised that the Polyclinics are still Singaporean territory and in tip top condition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: