Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Uniquely Singapore to Beyond Words
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instant citizen, instant wealth
This must be the best slogan to attract PRs and foreigners to take up Sinkie citizenship. It is not only a very attractive choice, to live in the world’s riches country with jobs aplenty, there are also many advantages to being a citizen. Education subsidy, medical subsidy, govt hongbaos, priority for children education etc etc all comes attached to instant citizenship. But all this pales in comparison to the instant cash to be made in housing subsidy. But that is not all. Getting a flat directly from the HDB and selling in the resale market after 5 years is as good as being guaranteed a return of at least 50% to 100% of the purchase price, more likely to be more as prices of HDB flats have proven to go up in 5x, 10x, 15x and 20x.
The new citizens got the govt to thank for for this great opportunity to become a Sinkie and with instant monetary rewards in the hundreds of thousands, not $300 or $400. The govt has made it so easy for them to buy a flat at market subsidized price. The govt also ensures that there will be demands for these flats at market prices which often are several hundred thousands more. The PRs have no choice but to buy from the resale market. Then the silly Sinkies who were too hurried to sell for a small profit, and after two bites of the cherry would now have to buy from the resale market.
The most pathetic group would be those disqualified by the govt from buying direct from HDB. This group would have to pay more than double the price in the resale market for being citizens of Sin. And the new citizens must thank the govt for it, for this group of Sinkies to have no choice but to buy from them, to make them rich.
Instant citizen, instant wealth. Unfortunately some Sinkies will be intant poor, or robbed to pay for flats in the resale market. How not to attract the best FTs into Sin?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Olivier Desbarres, Barclays Capital’s Head of FX Strategy in Asia, is accused of going on a rampage outside his home and terrorizing workers early last month, The Times has reported.
In the video which has emerged online, a man that resembles the banker can be seen approaching the workers and screaming obscenities.
“I’m gonna go after you. I’m gonna burn your f**cking house down,” he shouts.
“You have no respect. You know what? You’re f**cking animals. Chinese f**cking animals… I have a life. I have a family. You break that, I will find your f**cking family. I can find it very easily – I’m a man with resources.”
Dressed in shorts and sandals, he is then seen grabbing up a large sheet of zinc panel and hurling it into the construction pit, narrowly missing two workers.'

I copy the above posted in TRE. I can only have great praises for this ex colonial master for putting the ‘Chinese f**king animals’ down in their proper place. And his bank, Barclays Capital has sacked him which is very unjust. He should be promoted to be the CEO. He has done the bank proud by standing up for his rights. And the low down workers deserved to be spat on for disturbing his peace.

Only in Sin could such ex colonial master relive their past glory and strut away with his ego intact. Their former subjects would take anything from them without protest. No wonder Sin is a top choice for foreigners.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know why Malaysia refused to introduce National Service?

I think we all know the answer. No country will train and arm people who are suspects or potential enemies of the state. The Japanese had an immaculate and ambitious long term plan to conquer the world by sending their people as migrants overseas, to China and Southeast Asia and as far as the USA. They took several decades before they called on these Japanese in their new countries to rise to serve their Empire against their host nations.

I dunno whether we are too smart to the verge to becoming stupid, or too gullible and trusting to foreigners that we welcomed so many with our legs wide open and waiting for something to shaft into the hole. Foreigners are given citizenships so easily and so happy to make them serve in our armed forces. We lost two of our brightest boys in Sydney in the hands of a new citizen.

The latest, we want foreigners, PRs, to serve in our volunteer army, to be trained to handle weapons and taught the art of war, believing that they would not turn against us. They could be many sleepers now in the armed forces, all appearing so loyal and obedient, perfect new citizens. Some may even be in positions of high commands.

We are truly unique in our psychic, so naïve and gullible of foreigners, the unknown elements, like the daft citizens welcoming strangers into their homes to look after their young and old. So many families have met with tragic ends. Is the risk worth taking, so foolishly? We do not believe is guarding against strangers. We want to integrate them to be one of us. I think training and taming the tigers would be a safer bet.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insanity of the rich Singaporeans

Yes, Sinkies are rich, high income and high spending. Many are worth half a million or more just be housing alone. But one thing the Sinkies did not bargain for or fail to realise, the money in their pockets, savings and bank accounts flies away faster than the money of their peers in the neighbouring countries. Our money cannot be kept for too long and keep flowing out and many would have serious problems on retirements, selling houses and flats to get by.

Our neighbours may not have big incomes, but the money they have somehow stay with them much longer. And when they look forward to retirement, they have no fear of losing their homes, the homes they bought and lived for their whole lives, just to have some money to get by.

Be careful with your money. They are here today, gone today. One can have hundreds of thousands wiped out without knowing what is happening. This is going to be the shocking reality that rich Sinkies would have to come to terms with. The bulk of the ‘rich’ sinkies, notably the average living in public housing, will realise that the equation will come to nought when they reach the end of their life journey. In a way it is a zero sum game, every cent planned to be used for just this life time. Nothing left in their CPF or savings, not even their HDB flat when it is game over.

The ability to plan to such details to perfection is really an amazing art of ‘gum gum ho’. The precision is an engineering feat unmatched anywhere in the world.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to programme the unthinking to think the way you want them to think

Heheheh. I think many people would not like what this statement implies and would not think they have been programmed to think by other people. The pathetic truth is that many have been programmed unknowingly, unconsciously, and are not aware of it.

Let me just quote one simple example. Singaporeans like to complain, like to kpkb. So the top talents turn around and said, if you want to complain, please come out with a solution. It is so easy to complain, but no one wants to offer any solution. So the buck is passed back to the complainant. You see, just because I am paid several millions, it is not my job to solve your problem. It is you the complainant to solve your problem, if you want to complain. Passing the buck is a carefully honed skill you know. Now the monkey is off their back and back on the back of the complainants.

And this is what unthinking Sinkies have been programmed to accept and think it is right that the people who complained must come up with a solution, if not just shut up. It is not the responsibility of the people who are paid millions to do his job to come up with the solution. And the silliest of it all, you are a nobody, you come up with a suggestion, and you think it can get implemented by a ministry or a stats board? You think as a nobody, people will listen to your solution, you have the in dept knowledge to get a problem solved? If it is so easy for a layperson to offer a solution, it would have been solved long ago. In reality, many solutions are simply rejected for the right reason or wrong reason or because of other vested interests. Not that they are not good, not that the super talents did not think of it. It is just not in their interest.

Now where did I get this idea that unthinking or daft Sinkies are being programmed to think like this, cannot complain unless one must have a solution? I was listening to the Talk About programme hosted by Kenneth Liang, and this kind of thinking came out from a young man. That was exactly what he said without knowing that this kind of thinking was planted in him by people in authority. He must have heard it many times in many reports in the media and in parliament as well. So it becomes a part of him, you want to complain, where is your solution?

See, it is so easy to get such silly ideas in the minds of unthinking Sinkies and it becomes part of their psychic and mentality. And they unconsciously believe that this is the right thing to say. They did not know that no one would take them seriously, maybe some lip service like ‘good idea’, and next please… if they really and stupidly come up with a solution.

They did not bother to know that these people are collecting millions and are supposed to solve national problems, not create national problems and ask the grumblers to solve the problems themselves. Weird? No, just uniquely Singapore. We are brought up in a system of falsehood and false reasoning without knowing what is the better truth or better quality reasoning. They think it is alright and very clever for someone who is paid millions to ask the layperson not paid a single cent, not a professional or expert, to solve the problems raised.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Jewel to save Changi Airport
There is an editorial piece in the ST stressing how important the Jewel is going to be to save Changi Airport as the preferred aviation hub in the region. Changi is facing competition from KL and Bangkok and needs a game changer to stay in the race.
Now, what is the race about? Are travelers choosing to fly into Bangkok and KL or Singapore because of a shopping mall or a shopping mall that is dressed up as a jewel? I will be equally thrilled to know that those travelers will fly to Changi when their destinations are Thailand and Malaysia just because they want to visit the Jewel. So, after visiting the Jewel, they will then fly back to Bangkok and KL? I am still scratching my head over this kind of logic.
I think the only big difference that the Jewel can make is to replace Paris and London as the fashion and shopping centre of the world. Now how to do that when a shopping mall is a shopping mall and when a fashion centre is not just a shopping mall? I think the Jewel can be different by pricing all its goods out of this world like our minister’s salary. So all the rich travelers who just want to buy the most expensive luxury goods must come to the Jewel and no where else. It is another kind of branding, the most expensive city with the most expensive expressway and the most expensive shopping mall. And all the goods bought will have a Changi Jewel tag as a statement that it is the most expensive caused it was bought at the Jewel.
Other than this most expensive branding, what else would make the difference for travelers to fly to Changi just to be in Changi to be in the Jewel when their destination is Bangkok or KL?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snippets on the MCE

On Monday morning it was like the sky opened up. No it was not pouring rain. The sun was out there though a bit hazy. And the haze got worse when all the cars, buses, lorries etc caught in one of the most massive traffic jam in our recent history started to pump out more gas into the morning air. Getting stuck in this jam for more than an hour was considered lucky. Some got stuck for 2 to 3 hours, enough time to get to Malacca or KL.

Criticism of the most congested or massive congestion expressway was widespread, spontaneous and furious. $4.3b were spent on this great piece of maze that transformed a straight expressway to a crooked and longer one to help motorists to reach their destinations faster by 2 to 3 hours more. Some were shaking their heads that we need to spend $4.3b to replicate the jams in our neighbouring capital cities. Surely that must not be the intention unless it is done to show the people what bad govt is all about. Just hope it is not the outstanding contribution of our FTs.

Maybe the jam was a fiction of one’s imagination as some eminent motorists were claiming that they reached their destination in much shorter time driving through the MCE. Maybe that was the truth, the MCE was smooth flowing. The jams were on the surface roads after exiting the MCE and got caught by some choke points.

Several recommendations were put up by the netizens. One, since MCE is free and smooth flowing, the LTA should remove the ERP charges. But this suggestion is bad if no alternative sites for ERP are erected to recover the $4.3b construction cost. Actually there is no lack of roads for new ERP gantries. All the exit roads after the MCE are ideal locations for ERPs as these are the places that the jams occurred.

Some also suggested having more electronic signboards along the MCE, like those for car parks, to tell motorists which exits are free and which exits are jammed. Motorists would then be well informed on which exit to take to avoid the jams.

Some were wondering why the traffic planners and experts did not conduct computer simulations on the new traffic pattern with such major changes. If they have done so, more pro active measures could be taken to avoid the once in 50 year traffic jam.

One more recommendation, maybe LTA should reconsider the closing of existing stretch of ECP to give motorists more options and expressways to drive through. Driving in a straight expressway must be shorter than driving through a crooked one. This principle must be made know to the road designers so that in future when they design expressways they would not attempt anything crooked.

Those who were stuck in taxis in the jams are asking the LTA for a refund as the $16 fare could go up to $50 or $80. Can refund or not? They must be paying for sitting on the most expensive expressway in the world.

There is no need to worry about complaints that the MCE would become a white elephant if the closed section of the ECP is reopened. The MCE is already built and the money spent, water under the bridge. Just make a few explanations and life will go one. The final result must be lesser congestion when there are now two expressways instead of one.

What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All clear on the MCE
From my window the sun was bright and hazy as usual. In the distance, the surface road parallel to the MCE that was clogged up on Monday morning was a totally new sight to behold with traffic flowing smoothly like a miracle. The vehicles were staying about 50m apart. It is quite puzzling how on earth could the 3 hour jam could happen on the first working day of its operation and now everything is so smooth, with so few vehicles on the road.
Let me venture a guess. It was typical of Sinkies to head for something new on the first day of the MCE’s operation. Everyone wanted to experience this new wonder. They may want to be the first on the MCE or get their names in the Guinness Book of Record for travelling on the first day in the most expensive expressway, and now with the added 3 hour jam to remember. They must also be encouraged by news on how it would shorten travelling time plus the novelty, let the herd heading the same way. And the choke points on the surface roads only compounded the problem further. Maybe they should not have blow the trumpet so hard. This could be another reason for the big jam.
Today is the beginning of a new year and a new excitement. But there is no excitement on the MCE anymore. It is all routine. No need for red faces too.
Let me hazard another guess why this is so. Most of the office workers are likely to be back to work and traffic volume is expected to be high. But looking at the number of vehicles on this road, one wonders why there are so few cars on it. The no jam picture is likely due to the series of remedial actions taken by LTA to reduce the choke points and installing more traffic signs along the way, thus making driving easier. The motorists too will be more familiar with the new roads by now.
Some are still cynical and think that it is likely due to the large number of motorists avoiding the MCE altogether. With the greatly reduce traffic, sure the MCE will be like a free way for Formula One racing.
Whatever, it is a good start and people will gradually get use to this MCE and things will be better in times to come. Tomorrow will be better. Some people can breathe a sigh of relief that the $4.3b are well spent.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I like the MCE
The MCE is now flowing smoothly, thank you motorists for avoiding this expressway so that I can push my car to the limits without the congestion. It is now like driving in a Formula One circuit with the foot flat on the pedal. Whoosh, great freeway.
I also like to drive in a tunnel and enjoy the tunnel vision. In a tunnel, all you care or see is a little light at the end of the tunnel. Now I know what that means. Driving over and across the Benjamin Sheares Bridge may have a lot of beautiful sights to behold, the great scenery, the open space and the fresh air if the window is down, or for those with a soft top. But who cares, I just love the tunnel and the feeling of being in a well. Oops, I mean inside a tunnel. The only misgiving is to miss the sight of that multi billion awful fake garden, or is it a blessing?
And why not, now I can tell the world that I have driven on the world’s most expensive express way, the 8th Wonders of the World. The feeling is damn shiok, a wonderful feeling really, honest. For every metre of road travelled is like moving on a pile of money equivalent to $860,000! The sensation is really good, the money under my feet or wheels feeling. And I don’t mind the longer distance with more time to enjoy this great feeling. Lagi shiok. Never mind more tyre wear and burning a bit more gas. It is worth it, every cent of it.
Many Sinkies may not be able to afford the world’s most expensive cars. Not they can afford to drive on the world’s most expensive stretch of road. The feeling is just as good.
Funny, why do I have this great sinking feeling?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.9m – do you have the people’s consent?
The 6.9m issue is not what 77 MP/ministers think they are big enough to decide. It affects every Sinkie today and into the future. Do they have the consent of the people? Definitely a big NO. Do they want to ask the people for their consent? Another big NO. Do they think they have been given the right to decide for the people on this issue. They want to think so.
The people are saying NO. Would they listen? NO. They are simply snubbing the people, an act of defiance against the people. They know the people are against it and they stubbornly and arrogantly want to go ahead with their decision against the will of the people. Why? Why would they want to go against the people? Is this 6.9m something that must be done and if not something very serious will happen, more serious than losing the vote and confidence of the people that the PAP rather offend the people than not doing it? Did they know something that the people did not know?
This is a democracy, mind you. And a democratically elected govt thinks it can ignore the people, disregard the people’s wishes and still believes confidently that the people will elect them to power, to rule the people, no need to listen to the people, to control the people and to snub the people.
This is definitely uniquely Singapore.
What can the Sinkies do? Absolutely nothing. Come election they will still elect the same people to power and pay them out of this world’s salary and can only pray that the same people will be kinder to them. It is like the govt knows that no matter what, they will continue to be in power somehow. Very eerie.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance schemes – When conscience pricks

Han Fook Kwang politely asked a few questions in his column with the title, ‘Insurers should treat customers better’. He just received a notice by his insurer that the premium for his medical insurance would not be double to keep pace with the changing landscape of medical insurance. The Medishield Life, before even being implemented, is already showing its true colours and claiming its first casualty. Everyone, got money no money, life worth living or unworthy of living, healthy or unhealthy, young and old, there is no where to run. Get your cash ready to pay and pay for your medical insurance.

Han Fook Kwang wants the insurers to explain why should be the premium be raised and doubled. He expects a little civility like informing the payers and talking to the payers. He only asked to be treated better.

Wait a moment, is he compelled to pay for his private medical insurance? In a way, since he has been paying for several years and changing an insurer is not the convenient thing to do so for people with the money to pay. His main worry is the road ahead. How often would this doubling of premiums be done as he ages and when he retires and there is no income? He theoretically has another 30 years to pay and each doubling of premiums can be awesome. And mind you, Han Fook Kwang is no ordinary average Sinkie. If he is concerned, the average Sinkies with no sayings, no jobs and no income are going to have an interesting time paying for compulsory Medishield Life. They can avoid the private insurers but not the one that would use the law to force them to buy insurance and to pay for it.

Now the bigger question, can anyone, even the govt, force the people to buy and pay a life time of insurance premiums? Do the people have a choice not to buy medical insurance? They are people who do not wish to live another day longer and a medical condition is welcomed to take them out of the drudgery of a meaningless and moneyless life.

Han Fook Kwang asked the rights of the insurers to suka suka raise premiums. But he has a choice to stop his medical policy if the price is not right. Do the rest of the people have the choice to say no? Why are the people being force to pay against their will for something they do not want?

Did the people vote for a govt to compel them to buy medical insurance for life, for a life not worth living and when they don’t have any income or savings to pay for?

Does anyone see anything wrong with this concept of forcing people to buy medical insurance? Next time they may even force you to buy your coffin beforehand or pay for your cremation and a place at the columbarium.

This is the only country where an elected govt, not a dictatorship mind you, could suka suka decide how to spend the people’s money, to compel them to buy things that they did not want or wish to. And it thinks it has the right to do so. Anyone understand the meaning of daylight robbery?

I think it is kind of a habit. When the people get used to it, when the govt gets used to it, it becomes a new normal, to make things compulsory for the people to pay. Not paying becomes an offence or a crime. All those who cannot pay will become automatic criminals, violators of the law.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sane person can breach our checkpoint security
With the tight security checks at our checkpoints, particularly at Woodlands and Tuas, it is insane for anyone to think of slipping through the checks and getting away. It could be done by foot as proven by a Took. But to get across in a vehicle is unimaginable.
Well, a Malaysian woman motorist did just that and was lost in our concrete jungle for 3 days. Our network of cameras also failed to locate her despite an island wide alert. She was only caught when she did another tailgating job into the Ministry of Foreign Affair, intentionally I supposed, to prove something. Why she did that is still puzzling. It seems that she was trying to prove to the security officers that she could do what she like and there is no way for them to trace her unless she offered herself, like driving into the MFA compound voluntarily.
The police should interrogate her intensively and learn a few tricks from her. Never mind if she is insane. The divide between a genius and an insane is only a thin line, so they said. This may be the Achilles heel of our security system, that only an insane person can breach it in an insane way. If the woman is sane, there is no way for her to get through and run free in this tiny island when there was no attempt for her to change cars, number plate or camouflage the car.
She simply drove the same car everywhere she wanted. Cool man. Insanity is our weakness.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Miserables – A Singapore musical

The latest talk in town is about the two musicals commissioned to write about the life of LKY in time for the 50 year celebration next year. This has created a buzz unseen and unheard of in the arts scene for a long time. Even the winning of several awards by Anthony Chen with his Ilo Ilo movie pales in comparison. I just fill like dabbling and smoking about this new fuzz, oops, I mean buzz, and Sunday morning is about the best moment for just an intellectual or artistic pursuit or whatever you call it.

No, I don’t think I am up to it to write a musical. It is Greek to me and you need to be very talented individuals to do such a piece of work. Maybe Anthony or Jack Neo can have a go for it. Wait a minute, Jack Neo is Channel 8, so will be out of contention for sure unless the musical is to cater for the Chinese educated audience. That would put Ivan Heng a top contender for such a luminous project for his Channel 5 viewers.

The plots for the two musicals may have already been scripted by now. There must be plenty of plots and sub plots in the life of LKY to interest the audience. His life is the history of modern Singapore. Let’s hope the producers are not going to write about the founding of Singapore like they have done in every National Day or about the multi racial society. Have something new and novel. They are after all a musical and some fictions and dramatisation would be acceptable.

I think a musical in the likes of Les Miserables, Singapore version, on how LKY fought to liberate the people from poverty would be a nice one. We can see him taking to the streets fighting alongside the Hock Lee bus drivers or the port workers and with a finale showing how the lives of the workers have improved and become millionaires. And we can have Fish humming his favourite tune, ‘Do you hear the people sing’, with gusto in the background.

Did I hear ‘No’, I can feel so many people shaking their heads and giving me a dirty look. Why is that? Ok, ok, let me try another title, ‘Showdown at the Cul de sac’. How about this, LKY taking his opponents one by one and coming out triumphant every time. We can bring in Donnie Yen or Sammo Hung to choreograph the fight scenes. The pinoy pacman would be in awe to see how the opponents were taken down and KO for good, while some simply fled the scene.

What? No good? Too much violence? I thought violence sells. You people are hard to please. Or you prefer more mushy stuff like how he courted his wife and the never ending romance?

Ok, let me attempt another title, Fist fights in Parliament? This one would have historical values and history students would have a chance to see all the parliamentarians battling out in Parliament House. We can add some pepper and salt by introducing some fictional scenes of brawls and chairs throwing ala Taiwan style. Our celebrity MPs and ministers could also chip in, like Zorro with his whip or sword. Won’t that be dramatic and with a little comical distractions and reliefs?

Oh, the objections for this old is not so violent. Looks like I am getting somewhere. I hope the musicals would not make LKY looks too wussy or less macho. Talking about this, I am sure the crying scene would be a must have. How to weave this into the plots? Should be no problem if the time frame goes back to the days of Malaysia. Can even include the singing of Negara Ku since musicals must have a lot of songs.

The possibilities and the amount of material available are so immense that two musicals would not do justice to this great leader. This reminds me of another possible title, ‘Dear Leader’. Ouch! Don’t you people have any sense of humour? Musicals can have many themes, sad, joyous, comedy, satirical, historical or simply a musical with a lot of good music and theme songs.

I can still hear Fish singing, ‘Do you hear the people sing, singing a song of angry men. It is the music of a people, who would not be slaves again…’ How nice if LKY and Fish could sing this song together in the musical before the curtain falls.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore’s Painful Chapter

CNA aired a half hour documentary on Konfrontasi and the bombing of MacDonald House last night with the above title. Among those who were interviewed were Shanmugam, Barry Desker and Bilveer Singh and the family members of the victims of the bombing.

The main points that came out from all of them were that Indonesia must be sensitive to its neighbours, meaning us, and our feelings in whatever it does or did in this case, the naming of the frigate after Usman and Harun. It was all about us and our sensitivities and after a while one got quite embarrassed by the repetition of these few points in isolation, one incident perspective. It was all about us, and never about them, the Indonesians. The Indonesians must take note of how it would affect us as if we were angels.

When I mentioned the word angels, many of you would know what I mean without further elaboration. I would advise CNA not to repeat airing the episode if we don’t come out as arrogant, ignorant and insensitive to Indonesia and demanding sensitivity to be a one way traffic.

Good neighbourly relations must be based on mutual respect and reciprocity. We are standing on very weak grounds to harp about this single episode to rub in a point. It shows how naive we are in a complex and tricky relationship with Indonesia, how daft we are and how we failed to look at things from the Indonesian perspective. We are actually begging to be slapped real hard by the Indonesians and without knowing why. Can you believe it?

There are so many things that are best left unspoken and to let this chapter come to a quick closure, the faster the better. We must not come across as aloof, full of ourselves and thinking that we can do no wrong to our neighbours and this is a great opportunity to show how righteous and honourable we are, with a halo over our head.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Red Dot kpkb
There are several articles on Konfrontasi and the MacDonald House bombing in the ST today. Winston Choo also chipped in with a long article about ‘Hard won relations, so quickly forgotten’, and reminded Sinkies of the vulnerability of being militarily weak. He did not discuss the threat of a country with nearly 50% of foreigners invited to work and also living in the homes of our people. This is another issue that a strong military will be meaningless against a totally different kind of threat aka The Trojan Horse.
Let me quote Winston, ‘A small country like ours will face situations where others do not take us into account when they make decisions. If we do not have a strong and capable SAF, we leave ourselves open to being cowed, intimidated and vulnerable to pressures from larger states.’ This motherhood statement is valid in most cases but must be taken in right spirit, with the right perspective and the state of relations between states at a moment in time.
So we have kpkb about the naming of the Indonesian ship, then what? Have we changed anything? I think we have handled this very abrasively and in the most inappropriate way and if we don’t stop kpkb now, we are going to be hit by brickbats. Kpkb is only effective up to a point, and only necessary when other more amicable means failed.
For states to use the loud hailers against each other like the Koreans is not the best instrument for diplomacy when relations are good. If restraint is not imposed it can quickly degenerate into a mess with each side upping the ante. Unless there is a bigger agenda and kpkb is only a little introduction of more unpleasantness to follow, then we can just sit back and watch the story unfolds to its natural ending and finale.
Are we behaving like an arrogant spoilt brat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: