Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Uniquely Singapore to Beyond Words
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Uniquely Singapore to Beyond Words Reply with quote

What happens when Uniquely Singapore does not work? I am only presuming. Maybe it does worked. Maybe it works but not enough. Maybe it has passed its time and a new catch phrase is needed.

Now Singapore is Beyond Words. I am not sure how much it cost Uniquely Singapore and whether it gets what it was worth. And I am not sure how much it costs to develop Beyond Words. I hope it will be effective and productive and the cost is not beyond words.

When Uniquely Singapore goes Beyond Words. Laughing

What's next? Speechless Wink
Matilah_Singapura

Location: LAND OF SMILES & INSTANT GRATIFICATION, of Delightful Exploitation...and a true Buddhist spirit!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Uniquely Singapore to Beyond Words Reply with quote

redbean wrote:
What's next? Speechless Wink

What always has been, and always will be... the immutable, everlasting, inescapable prophecy:

MATILAH SINGAPURA!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been wondering, with some painting a glorious picture of Singapore in the future, bright and extremely bright.

On the other hand the doomsayers predicting its demise, no future, matilah.

Who shall triumph or who is the better fortune teller?
Matilah_Singapura

Location: LAND OF SMILES & INSTANT GRATIFICATION, of Delightful Exploitation...and a true Buddhist spirit!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where your perspective is relative to your own "world view".

When S'pore goes belly up (matilah) there'll be truck loads of opportunity for the rational, well prepared and courageously positioned privateer.

I intend to be one of those people—a small player perhaps, but a player nonetheless.

Crisis = Danger + Opportunity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'In Parliament' - the most popular Singapore TV Serial

I am going to be glued to the TV soon. So will all the Singaporeans and even foreign workers. Singapore parliament will be more colourful if the parliamentarians have their way. I am not talking about Lily Neo's elegant Beijing cheongsam or Ho Geok Choo's Versace. Neither am I referring to Eng Hen's Zegna or Mah Bow Tan's yellow and blue jacket. Parliament is going to be very colourful with dialects.

Imagine Choktong saying, 'Lin peh pah si buay chow.' And Low Thia Khiang interrupting him saying, 'Tee ah, aga aga thio hor ah.' They will be so popular with the Ngee Ann Kong Si and Hock Kien Huay Kuan that these associations will start Teochew and Hokkien classses for their members. And Mah Bow Tan will not want to lose out by delivering his HDB speech in Hylam. He may engage Ngiam Tong Dow to be his private tutor to brush up a little on his mother tongue. All just to please his Hylam Clan. And Hsien Loong would be pressured to prove to his Khek Association that he can speak Khek as well.

Then Inderjit, Jayakumar and Vivian will have to speak in punjabi or Tamil or whatever Indian dialects that are their mother tongues. The Malay MPs will have an easier task. I think Malay is the only dialect maybe with a little slangs from different parts, but basically Malay.

And Singapore Tourism Board can promote visits to Singapore Parliament. Now Jack Neo, please move aside. When the talents speak dialects, your dialect movies will not be able to compete.

The good thing is that there will be more jobs for translators and interpreters. And while the mother speakers were enjoying themselves in their nuances and flair of their dialects, no one will be able to understand them except listening through the translators. Parliament will thus have extended sessions to cope with the extra time needed.

Now that will be Uniquely Singapore. And China will follow suit to abolish Putonghua and Shih Huangti will turn in his grave. And no sweat. China too will become a more colour nation with 2367 dialects to be spoken across the nation.

Wow, Singapore is going to set a world trend, speaking dialects and mother tongue. And India will ban English in its Parliament.

Last edited by redbean on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Matilah_Singapura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey its a wonderful world isn't it? Diversity of tongue, and dress.

I'm all for people getting together in their finery to chat and interact....as long as 2 criteria are satisfied:

1 That I'm not forced to pay for their get-together

2 That they do not have any POWER whatsoever to affect my life, with "ideas" which may spring up and out of their bacchanalian soirées

I mean, do you or other decent folks you know, get together, discuss things...and then go out and FORCE your ideas on people?

Of course not.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Best Business

There are two businesses that I would consider to be the most lucrative and worth investing in. The consumers are plenty and all cash rich and all scratching their heads on how to use their cash hoards. Many businesses are good but there is always a problem of debt collection or bad debts. In these two biz, there is no bad debts. How good can it get?

I am referring to Hospitals and the Last Rites. As we walk towards the future, all the oldies here will be so rich and probably die with all their money unspent. With a minimum sum that is going to exceed $100k and a Medisave Account that will shoot pass the $30k limit, most of the oldies will have more than a $100k in their CPF account, and untouchable except for the little ration that they will receive monthly. A shrewd businessman should be able to unlock this money and transfer them into his revenue account.

One package is hospital retreats. Develop hospitalisation packages for the oldies to spend their holidays in 6 Stars hospitals, with all the spas and fine food and wine and pampering thrown in. A little creativity is needed to use some medical terms to qualify these oldies for their escapade, spending the money that they might not live to see.

Another package will be for the finest hour, The Last Rite. The oldies can select a package to invite all their friends and relatives for their last party. They can decide on the venue, menu, the trimmings, order the Mercedes or Rolls Royce to go with them, etc and the guest lists, the best bands etc while they lay in peace.

Imagine a $100k party or more, depending on how much is left in their Retirement Account, all to go at one go to make a memorable departure from this world and to feast all their friends and relatives. It is a way to make a big bang as one exits from this world. Otherwise the money will just go to the state.
Matilah_Singapura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are still hanging around and have the funds, then they deserve to be screwed. People are too vain about their physical bodies and the fact that the body DIES at some point. Fuck them lah. They make their own fear, and since they own it, they are welcome to the consequences.

However, nothing beats the "facility" of having a second (or third or fourth) passport, or PR in as many other countries as possible.

redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we invite foreigners to our homes and allow them to insult us and tell us to get out?

This seems to be the latest development in the game of foreign talents and welcoming more people to our shores, as citizens. Many well meaning people have been singing praises of foreigners and how important they are to our survival in the future. And this message has sunk into the heads of many foreigners and Singaporeans alike, that we need them to save us. And they believe so. Some Singaporeans also believe so. And foreigners are even telling us that if we are uncompetitive, want high salaries and less work, then we should ship out. They are willing to come here to work harder and for less. The remarkable thing is that some Singaporeans do agree wholeheartedly to this kind of argument.

There are Singaporeans who are working overseas as foreign talents and understand how tough it is competing against the locals. And they have achieved some success in doing so and can empathise with the foreigners working here. They understand the logic that more work and less pay is the only way to fight the competition. Singaporeans can no longer rely on the stupid idea that they must be paid first world salaries when others are willing to work for less.

Admittedly this reasoning is logical and true. There is no pleasant alternative in a globalised world. Singaporeans must work more and be prepared to earn less. Would there be any profession where the incumbents dare to say they are over worked? Or after being given more perks and increments, have the audacity to ask for less work and responsibilities?

Now that this new living mantra is the accepted conventional truth, it can only be expected that life will be a bit tougher for the lazy or less talented Singaporeans. So what can we expect them to do? Are they expected to tighten their belts and fight with foreigners for jobs here, asking for lesser pay? Is this a fair equation? Foreigners are hungry, have no stake or responsibilities here. They can live with less. Should we allow them to proceed to compete with our own people for jobs on unequal terms?

The other alternative is for talented Singaporeans to rough it out like our foreign talents. Go forth and seek for new pastures. And there are jobs galores overseas. Singaporeans are in high demand as foreign talents and logically will be getting better pay in foreign lands.

Strange isn't it? Why are Singaporeans in great demand overseas but not wanted in their homeland? Or is this a game of musical chairs? We export our unappreciated talents overseas and welcome foreigners to take their places. Would we reach a stage that the more able Singaporeans will be found living overseas and their homes rented and occupied by foreigners? If this is the likely development, what kind of nation or society will we become? Citizens of the world?

The Filipino and Indonesian maids went overseas to earn foreign exchange and left behind an empty nest. Some returned to find their nests occupied by strangers and they were no longer wanted or could not fit into the new equation. Would we pay the same price if this happens to us? And very likely the price will be much higher. For instead of the women folks being abroad, our able men folks are the one that are missing from home.

A home without a man or a nation without its men or talented men can have unimaginable consequences. This is our home. This is our land. What would it be like if our homes are now overseas and our land becomes the homes of foreigners?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite wallpaper in mobile phones

Linkin Park, Beckham, F5, Sun Yanzi? Or is it Rain or Jacky Cheung? Who's face would be loaded in the mobile phones of thousands or millions of subscribers?

Who is the most recognisable face in paradise and even the world today? Step aside George Bush or Barack Obama. No fight. Today we have a new celebrity, an instant fame. Infamous to be exact.

For the PR and commercial organisations, an instanty recognisable face will sell anything. Even aunties and uncles will recognise this face, more famous than the male lead in Winter Sonata.

I think he needs a manager right now, or many people are looking for him to be his manager.If Edison Chen is welcomed in Hollywood, Mas Selamat Kastari would be in Hollywood with a bigger appearance fee, and Bollywood, Hongkong Movie Town, and an instant hit in the Middle East.

If he is smart enough he should walk out from his hideout somewhere in Caldecott Hill, probably disguising and lookinng like one of the newsreaders, say thank you for all the publicity, denounced whatever he was thought to be, and live the life of a celebrity, rich and famous.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so many charities and help schemes?

We are doing very very well economically. Full employment, huge national reserves, money pasting everywhere, money throwing everywhere, our banks have so much money that they have problems lending them out.

Then our favourite past time is charity, setting up charitable organisations, organising charity events to raise funds, begging on the streets, setting up public help shemes and schemes and organisations.

And officially hundreds of millions are spent to help the poor, if there is any, and unofficially millions and millions were collected from the public, also to help the poor.

Why should a super rich little island with only 3 million citizens so obsessed about helping the poor? It is a strange phenomenon indeed.

Where are the poor, 3,000 of them I heard, or where are the money? Oops, better clarify on this point. Are the money reaching the poor? Or if there are so few poor, why the need for so much money?

Really what is causing the hardship to those who are struggling?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore delegation visits Marshall to discuss poverty issues
Thursday, March 13, 2008
By RACHEL HARPER/Staff writer

Nine representatives from Singapore visited Missouri Valley Community Action Agency in Marshall Tuesday, March 11, to learn new and creative ways to address poverty.

"We are extremely pleased you decided to come to Missouri, we are still flabbergasted," said Missouri Association for Community Action (MACA) Executive Director Elaine West. "We hope this will be a beneficial experience for you and us."

I copy the above from Sammyboy.com. Singapore is really going places. We went to Japan to learn how to look after our aged. Now we are in America to learn how to look after our poor. We will definitely be better off in looking after these two groups of people.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People's Elected Representatives or Walkovers

In a democracy like Singapore, we have a system to elect people's representatives as Members of Parliament. We even have an elected President.

How many elected MPs are there in Parliament? We have 1 Non Constituency MP, a handful of Nominated MPs, some, yes, some elected MPs and a lot of Walkover MPs. Walkover MPs are supposedly elected MPs but walked into Parliament for lack of contest, no one contesting against them.

In some countries, an elected MP must be an elected MP and walkover is a no no. How can a walkover MP claimed to be elected when the people did not elect him?

We have been tinkering with many system to ensure that Singapore continues to exist into the future. Maybe it is time to tinker the electoral system to ensure that elected MPs are elected MPs and not Walkovers.

When the system accepts only elected MPs, then the rules and regulations will have to be redesigned to facilitate more people coming forward to be elected. The punishing election fee, the unfriendly culture and intimidating system where political candidates faced have to be made more friendly to encourage participation. Or we will have to cry crocodile tears for lack of political talents.

We cannot go on with an electoral system where the candidates are waiting to be recruited for good behavior and found to the likings of political parties. Such a system does not breed politicians but employees out looking for a job.

Politicians and political leaders are a different kind of people. They use to call them 'people with a fire in their belly.' Now that fire is simulated like computer games. We need true politicians to step forward to serve the people. We need a system that can ensure that and not one that inhibits or frightens away would be politicians.

Some may make cocky remarks that if one does not have the guts to go into the arena, then they are not made of the right substance to be political leaders. But any reasonable and a little wiser man will not step into a cul de sac and slip on his knucker duster when he knew that the odds are extremely unfavourable.

We need elected representatives with the mandate from the people and a system that will ensure that every MP is elected by the people. Walking into Parliament by default is not a healthy system. We need more credibility to believe that elected representatives are really the people's choice.

Likewise, if we want an elected President, then he must be elected and not another Walkover.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ministerial jobs are too easy

This is the impression I had everytime I see more appointments being loaded onto the ministers. I thought being a minister, running a ministry, on top of all the MP and constituency matters would be enough to bog down a man for all his 24 hours. Apparently this is just a misperception from on ordinary bean. Either the jobs are simply too easy to handle, or the ministers have more than 24 hours a day and the biological constitutions to keep them going.

Chee Hean and Tharman have just been appointed as the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the National Research Foundation(NRF), a high level organisation that gives grants and directions to the R&D in Singapore. These appointments are not for people who simply sign off millions or billions of dollars without thinking. They are serious appointments.

Both Chee Hean and Tharman are deputy Prime Ministers, and Chee Hean is also Coordinating Minister for National Security and Minister for Home Affairs. Tharman is also Minister for Finance and Manpower. I think Tharman is also in GIC or Temasek. Both must have several other very important portfolios to watch over.

They would not have become such supermen if they were just CEOs of some private sector companies. Now their super talents are fully tested, to work super fast, to grasp complicated matters in diverse ministries and issues they have no inkling of what they are before, to work super long hours. Being a minister sure can turn ordinary man into superman.

I have no doubt that a minister’s job is a serious job and a complicated job with huge responsibilities. And equally, all the other appointments they are holding are just as demanding on their intellect and time. Really admirable people, at least for their staminas. Walking from one ministry to the next is already quite energy absorbing. It is simply amazing how they can coop with their jobs and without shortchanging the people in time and details.

Wonder if they still have a life other than official duties, like a little quality time for the family?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching the second wind
The sheer thought of the second wind is invigorating. Singaporeans are so lucky. This is a pleasure that only Singaporeans are blessed with. With life expectancy reaching 80 or 90, life begins again for Singaporeans at 60.
The first thing for those hitting the 6 big zeros, is to think about schooling, just like when they were 6. Go back to school to learn a skill, like the ITE. I am still wondering why old dogs need to learn new tricks. Nevermind, after a year or so, and armed with a new certificate, it is time to write the resume. The thought of going for the first job interview is exciting, adrenalin is gushing through my veins. Must get the white shirt nicely pressed.
In the meantime register to join a gym. Got to get the muscles toned and the skin taut. The face part is not a problem, just go for Botok. The eyes, ok, lasik surgery is so common now. In fact go for the full course, the hair, the denture, the manicure, it is a new life man.
Looking ahead, getting a new girl friend, courtship and perhaps marriage. And there could be little children running around too. And soon got to think of choosing the best primary school again for the little ones. May even have to do some voluntary work for a good primary school. These are the things that make one thinking, and feeling young once more.
With a fresh list of responsibilities and challenges, buying a flat, getting insurance and all those things, and preparing for retirement in another 20 years, things cannot be better. With the experience gained before, the second round can only be better.
I hope Boon Wan would let these first timers get their HDB flats. Yes first time seniors. Only after 60 can one qualify as a first timer once again.
Creak. What’s that noise? Uncle, you can have my seat. No thank you. I am 60 years young.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: