Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Punggol East SMC by election
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Punggol East SMC by election Reply with quote

PAP under siege
The opposition parties are hovering over Punggol East like vultures sensing the presence of a carcass for a good meal. It is not the case of a prize possession that belongs to the ruling party anymore. Thanks for the generosity of Michael Palmer, it is like a well timed Christmas present. But the ruling party is not going to give it away so easily. They know that the opposition parties are ready to snatch it away and it has to hold on to it tightly.
This is the state of the political game today. Gone were the days when the ruling party will strut around taking every loose seat available with great confidence. It was chionh all the way. The game has changed and it is a case of trying desperately to hang on to whatever it got. And the opposition parties are closing in for the kill every time a little gazelle breakaway from the herd. It is quite helpless. It will be taken away to fill the hunger of the hunters.
The ruling party is under siege and weakening in all fronts. There is no one in the party that could command the awe inspiring presence and leadership to win a single seat or even a GRC today. The last GE has exposed the weaknesses of the ruling party and the infallibility of every minister. Every one of them looks lame. And the last few batches of MPs were found to be wanting in many ways and many would not be able to hold on their own in a contest, without the GRC. Many were outright failures in the eyes of the people and many voters have regretted their decisions in the last GE. It is that bad.
The strength of the ruling part was in their pro people policies. These have done well for many years but strains are showing. Good policies are turning bad and unsustainable, like a big rock pushed up the mountain, the weight bearing gets heavier by the day and waiting to roll down, crushing everyone and everything below. Come to think of it, every policy is about to come tumbling down. Cannot think of any that is good or barely good today.
In the absence of good men and women, in the absence of good and pro people policies that are sustainable, what else is there for the ruling party to offer the people to keep them in power? This by election is only to confirm the hard truth that it is game over.
Maybe I am too pessimistic. Maybe the people are still strongly behind the ruling party. The joyous and buoyant celebration and the confidence shown in the last party conference told a different story. The party is on a roll. Everyone was looking so well and wealthy. The party will go on and on. The truth will be seen in the decision to hold or not to hold a by election. A party that is confident of winning will have no apprehension of taking the bull by the horns and will call a by election without hesitation. Any wishy washy excuses will be a sign of weakness, a party under siege, having little confidence in holding on to the seat in Punggol East. The siege mentality is all there for everyone to see.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East - A scramble for the spoils?

I wrote about the congregation of the vultures awaiting the ageing lion to fall. Every vulture is hungry and wanting to have its share of the meal. Would there be a mad scramble for the carcass or would each take its turn for a bite of the morsel? If they do it in an orderly manner, each will have their fill and more could come their way. If they go on a mad rush, the dying lion could walk away to live another day.

Lina Chiam of SPP, Hazel Poa of NSP have spoken. They would not be engaged in the foray in Punggol East. They would wait their turn as it was a battle field of WP and SDA in the last election. This sets up a gentleman's agreement on the pecking order in the opposition camp for the rest to follow. Would the others abide by this protocol, or would they defy the existing order and behave like when fools rush in?

Some parties are taking an ambivalent position at the moment with reservation that they could jump into the fray. Some quarters are openly encouraging all the opposition parties, or some parties to move in, 3 corners or many corners fight is irrelevant. Their intent could be simply a genuine interest in wanting their perceived favoured party to have a go at this seat. For some, the intent is nothing to hide, to agitate the opposition parties to strangle themselves and deprive themselves from a good fight.

The memory of the last Presidential Election is still vivid in the minds of the electorate. Some are cursing at the missed opportunities for their chosen candidate. Some are cursing at the spoilers. Would there be spoilers in the making, for whatever queer or make belief justifications, that they must be in the ring to split the votes of the opposition?

In a straight fight like Hougang, the chances of victory against the ruling party has been proven to be very high. So, would Punggol East be another Hougang or another multi corner fight that makes the opposition parties look like a bunch of unthinking and selfish hyenas, and ended with nothing and losing their credibility, and be the cursed of the electorate?

Should there be a multi party contest, the electorate could still be the deciding factor. They could despatch the spoilers into shame and losing their deposits as well. The electorate are no longer easily conned and a spoiler will be seen as a spoiler and will not be getting much sympathy votes. They would be rudely dismissed and their intent exposed.

Punggol East is staged like the last fort, the last resistance. Should Punggol East fall this time, the writings will be on the wall. There will be no stopping of the tide and a tsunami may follow suit to clear up everything in the way.

Hougang was a watershed. Punggol East could be the Waterloo. Would there be spoilers to throw shit in to muddy the water?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By election Laws, the spirit and intent of the law

Since the last interpretation of the spirit of the law in the Hougang by election, the govtís position is that a general election is to elect a govt. When such a govt is in place and when a MPís seat is left vacant for some reasons, it really does not matter as the govt is already elected. So having a by election or no by election is not of much importance as long as someone else is looking after the constituency on behalf of the MP. A stand in, a MP on loan from another constituency, or in the same GRC, or a CCC Chairman or any appointee could really fill the seat legally in accordance with the provisions of the Election Laws. This is what I have heard to be the official position and I stand corrected. The govt can always correct me if I am wrong and educate us on the correct interpretation, the law, the spirit of the law, the intent of the law, or the convenience of the law to be interpreted to whoeverís advantage.

If the above premises are true, and if the judgement by Judge Pillay is the absolute truth, that the PM has full discretion to decide to hold or not to hold a by election, then the constituents of any single member constituency may not be served by an elected MP after a GE. Anyone or any appointee would do.

I choose to disagree as a citizen and as a constituent. And I would also like to interpret the spirit of the law, the intent of the law to my advantage. As a constituent, I demand as my right to be represented by an MP that I have elected or have a say to his being my MP. No substitute is good enough. No part timers or part time MPs from other constituency to part time in my constituency. I demand a full fledge MP elected by my fellow constituents to represent me in Parliament and to take care of my problems. There is a direct quid pro quo in the case of a properly elected MP who promised to serve the people and the people duly elected him. Anything else is no good. It is a short change.

What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawning Bread thinking aloud on by election candidate
Yawning Bread did a bit of introspection as to the problem facing the PAP in finding a suitable candidate for the Punggol East by election. He ruled out Ong Ye Kung and Desmond Choo as possible candidates for obvious reasons. One has left politics and one a two time loser in Hougang. It is going to drain on him emotionally and psychologically to stand up in an election with so much controversies and negativities.
But there must be many candidates in the PAPís reserved list. One thing for sure, the new candidate is likely to be put under the finest comb to be whiter than white, and more proper than a priest or a nun. And very likely, the candidate would have to declare in public that there is no misconduct in his record, in the past or in the future. The demand for such a candidate is going to be very stringent and PAP cannot be found not to have done its job in making a thorough screening for any flaws that could surface during and after the by election.
I can imagine the PM or DPM standing on stage to guarantee the moral virtues and integrity of the chosen candidate. It must be the most perfect candidate the PAP has ever put up for an election. The voters can be assured of a very fine and flawless candidate to serve them.
The opposition must take note of this and may have to offer another equally flawless candidate this time round. They had the experience of Hougang and should find this a familiar situation.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East a circus or a walkover
The news today, 5 parties will be contesting the Punggol East SMC when the by election is called. The parties announcing to be in the contest are WP, SDA, SDP and Reform Party, and the incumbent party PAP. The news is immediately met with a roar of ludicrity. Four opposition parties competing against each other and against the PAP would be as silly as it could be. The Presidential Election did not seem to teach any of the parties any thing.
In a tight contest of one versus one, any opposition party would still be in a tough position to think of winning. Are the parties real, in announcing that they all want to be in, for what? Are they thinking of a circus for entertainment or are they serious in thinking of winning and dislodging the PAP from Punggol East? At face value, it is just too clownish to be true except for SDA.
The other possibility is that Zhuge Liang is at work again. It is as real and as unreal. Everyone will be kept guessing. PAP will be kept guessing as well. Only on Nomination Day will the truth be out as to the number of parties will be contesting. Letís hope reasons will prevail and sensibility will be the order of the day.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAP clean sweep in Punggol East by election

The prospect of a 5 corner contest in the Punggol East by election led me to take a peep at my crystal ball. And the result is a clean sweep for the PAP with an unbelieveable victory of 90% of the votes. The opposition parties lost their deposits, everyone of them. No, this is no fluke. There is no hint or sign of fraud that led to this scintillating result for the ruling party. It is the best endorsement for the PAP and a thrashing for the folly and silliness of opposition parties that rightly do not deserve any support from the voters. The people decide to kick their silly asses to wake them up.

The thinking goes like this. What are the opposition parties trying to do? It is clear as day light that going on more than a straight fight would put their chances of winning very low. 3 corners are as good as losing outright. Anything more might as well forget the trouble, save the money and effort and donít waste the peopleís time. All they could gain, perhaps, is some cheap air time, some cheap publicity, to say a few angry words to the people. What else do they seriously think of achieving in a 5 corner fight? To prove their stupidity?

The other thinking is that there are moles present in the opposition parties that want to deliver the seat to the PAP. But the people would not know who is the mole, or how many are moles. And knowing that the outcome is going to be a PAP victory, might as well deliver the votes to the PAP and teach the clowns or moles a lesson. This could be an explanation of the final result. And there is no need to curse and swear for the missed opportunity just like the President Election. There is no point in blaming the other candidates that they should have pulled out of the race.

When opposition parties are thinking of having a wild party in every by election, to have a good time at all cost, they are not going to get any sympathy vote from the people. The people may be daft, but not silly. If the opposition parties are not serious and wanting to make every by election counts, why should the people take them seriously?

Under the present circumstances, with 5 parties contesting, my crystal ball is crystal clear who the eventual winner will be. No need guessing.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SINGAPORE: A by-election will be held for Punggol East Single-Member Constituency (SMC), after Member of Parliament Michael Palmer resigned over an extra-marital affair.

Nomination Day will be held on 16 January 2013. If more than one candidate stand for nominations on Nomination Day, Polling Day will be held on 26 January 2013. Polling Day will not be a public holiday....

The above is announced in Channel News Asia.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East by election has to be one on one
This is a truism that everyone knows. Anything other than this is a waste of time for the opposition parties. Are the opposition parties really going to go for a 5 corner fight or 3 corner fight?
I believe they are sensible people and will not let selfish interest, pride or ego get in the way and make a fool out of every one of them. And the joke will be on them if they do so. The other theory is that the moles will appear to do the most damage possible as this by election is going to be another big step for the opposition should they take another seat from the PAP.
How would it end up on nomination day? All the posturing and chest thumping could be just that and sanity would rule and a proper and real contest will be set up on polling day. That is what everyone wish to see, everyone who wants to see a good fight.
We will have to wait and see.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East welcomes MP Koh Poh Koon
In the event of a 3-corner or 5-corner fight, the outcome needs no guessing. For an opposition party to win in a multi corner contest is like a one in a millionth chance. Though the result is as good as a foregone conclusion, the possibility of an upset is still there no matter how slim. Taking the rational and objective view, the PAP should win hands down just with its core 40% support, or even 35% at worst. It is as good as a walkover with the opposition parties thinking and believing that they were really in the race. Koh Poh Koon is as good as the new MP for Punggol East.
The interesting thing is if there is an upset. If against all odds, the WP wins, I am ruling out the rest as they are in no position to do better than the WP based on their track records, what will be the implications? For one, it will propel WP to the status as the party to win the next GE. To win in a multi corner fight against the PAP is no mean feat. It will also be a message to the other parties that they were just a bunch of jokers and may no longer be taken seriously in the GE. It will also send a loud message to the PAP that its days are numbered. I donít believe SDP is serious to want to negotiate with WP to give way or go into a multi corner race. It will completely destroy the SDP for good, especially Chee Soon Juan. It will also send a loud signal to the professionals waiting on the sideline that the WP is the party to be with. It will also send a signal to those still wanting to join the PAP bandwagon to rethink, should they join a sinking ship.
This is going to be the kind of thinking should the WP win a multi corner contest. The whole political landscape will change in favour of the WP. It will be the dragon slayer and the party in waiting to govern the country.
What if, after all the hustling, it ends up with a straight fight and WP wins? This scenario is less dramatic as the outcome could be expected. At most it will be a small dent to the PAPís armour and another pawn for the WP. In the bigger picture, it will show a PAP that is losing its ground and is likely to lose more ground in the next GE. As for the rest of the political parties, they will look pretty good as serious contenders that would not mess their chances when offered, not reckless but disciplined enough to make compromises and bid their turns. They will likely to gain more goodwill and a better image from the voters. They will be taken more seriously for acting responsibly.
How this game of political chess is being played is still anyoneís guess. Is it a well planned and orchestrated game being engineered by a Zhuge Liang or just an ordinary game of wild chances is still unknown. It can be either. The people will not just be watching the PAP but all the opposition parties as well, to measure them up. The opposition parties were seen as reasonable and respectable parties in the Hougang by election. Would they confirm this impression, or would they show hand to tell the voters that they are just a bunch of bankrupt jokers and cannot be depended on to run the country?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East and the lunatic fringe

The three letters sent by SDP and its contents are out in the media. The SDP called it a win win win proposal. They believe it in. They believe that it is a brilliant proposal. I think only lunatics will believe so. It is right that the WP ignored this madness completely and not to waste time on something that bothers on pomposity and self delusion. It is simply rash thinking bordering on hallucination. I could add a few more silly comments about this proposal. It is frightening that the SDP think it is their best shot, a work of genius. With this proposal I think SDP has written itself into history. I donít anyone will take this party seriously any more. SDP has nothing to prove anymore.

In the last GE there was a certain understanding, a common purpose, to get more opposition party candidates into parliament. And they worked at their very best to prevent a three corner fight. The opposition parties were praised for doing just that.

In the Punggol East by election, it is now about helping the PAP to get its candidate into parliament. The opposition parties are trying their level best to prevent the WP candidate from getting into parliament.

In an article written by Kor Kian Beng, a News Analyst from ST yesterday, he floated the idea that the opposition parties are wary that the WP will be getting too popular and strong for their own good. They need to bring down WP or hold it back so that they too would stand a better chance in the GE. Now they fear the WP more than the PAP.

This I think is a tongue in cheek comment. The opposition parties, other than the WP, could not even get themselves elected. What is there to fear the WP? They need to make themselves credible and elected first before thinking of undermining other opposition parties. Maybe Kor Kian Beng is right. The mentality of the opposition parties is just so shallow that they could not see anything further than the tip of their noses. So, in this by election, the target is the WP. Bring down WP at all cost.

What a hilarious bunch of clowns!
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East, a case of wild ambition and rash men

The by election in Punggol East was meant to be a serious and well considered affair. The residents will have to decide to elect a representative to parliament. There was a certain understanding based on past practices and agreements of the opposition camp that it would be a WP contest against the PAP. Everyone has that kind of expectation. What has happened is something that is shocking beyond belief, that it is like a mad movie from some third world country, with every bum thinking that it is party time, and everyone wants to be invited.

We would expect the potential candidates, those aspiring to be national leaders, to be calm, cool and calculative, men of depth, of wisdom, to think about this matter seriously before they make any move or statement to contest the election. Other than SPP and NSP, two parties that are looking sensible and looking more sensible than before when other parties are looking not only foolish but moronic. We have heard of the two bizarre proposals by SDP and Reform Party to WP that they want a piece of the cake, with heads I win tail you lose terms. And they seriously believed that it is a fair and good deal.

What are these two parties thinking in the first place? Do they really think they are so important, so relevant and have the support of the people that they could dictate their wills on the most credible opposition party, making one sided demands as being fair to all? This thinking is at party level. The comments by the potential candidates from these parties are equally clueless. They are all ready to charge over the cliff. Do they really think they have any ounce of chances to win against the ruling party in a multi corner fight? And these are supposed to be sensible and intelligent men, to lead the people and to represent the peopleís interests. Can the people support such men when they are coming across as reckless and mindless individuals with only wild ambition in between their ears? They are just there to tikam tikam, even knowing that their chances of success are as good as zero. They simply donít care. Can such men be reliable and dependable to make reasonable and logical decisions when needed to when voted into parliament? Or would they also adopt the same tikam tikam mentality on national issues?

The frightening part is that these men could not see their own folly, and they are strutting around like gladiators, so proud and happy that they are the best to offer to the voters. Can they be taken seriously? The people of Punggol East, and the people of this country deserve better and more sensible men to represent them in parliament and as national leaders. If what is happening is going to turn to reality, that wild and reckless men with little brains are going to be elected to parliament, then the people really deserve to be screwed. But this need not be the case as the voters today are not as daft as the pretentious politicians to be. Just because fools and idiots joined a political party and have the money to lose, it does not mean that the people will be as foolish as them.

It is really an eye opener to see the true persons behind the hustling and the quality of their thinking. I should say the lack of quality in their thoughts. Even before the real hustling has started, it is looking so disappointing. Every one is nothing but a joke.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East Ė The battle of internet
Two more days to nomination day and internet is in a flurry of activities. The Opposition camp, particularly those that wanted a multi corner fight to undermine WPís chances are getting a bollocking from the netizens. Nothing much heard in the main media on this matter. And now with straw poll an offence, no one is going to know what is the true ground feel.
Then there is the internet brigade in full force charging around everywhere trying to support a multi corner fight. Some specifically support one or another opposition party to compete against the WP. This gives the impression that having a multi corner fight is perfectly ok. It could also be read by the shallow minded opposition candidates that the ground is really rooting for them to come forward. And it looks like they are taking the bait, that they have supporters urging them on.
So it is likely that there will be at least a 3 corner fight. Luckily the thinking one like Benjamin Pwee has withdrawn, knowing what the odds are and the real situation on the ground. We need more sensible opposition leaders like Benjamin and those in NSP and SPP to hold the fort with the WP to launch a serious assault on the invincible fortress.
The voters must also read the mess of information and misinformation in the internet carefully and not be misled.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Li Lian to represent WP in Punggol East
Lee Li Lian was the candidate for Punggol East in the last GE and garnered 41% against Michael Palmer. She is now standing again to take on Koh Poh Koon in the by election. It must be a tough decision for WP but a very sensible one. She had walked the ground and is not new to the voters. She only needs a 5% swing to win this race.
And this is a very critical by election for both the WP and PAP. It will signal where the wind will blow in the next GE.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chee Soon Juan the new Zhuge Liang
Chee Soon Juan said he knew that his proposal would be rebuffed by the WP. And he sent his proposals to the WP three times and was rebuffed three times. This was similar to Liu Bei visiting Zhuge Liang three times in order to show his sincerity. Liu Beiís sincerity was accepted and Zhuge Liang went on to serve him. In Cheeís case, the WP did not accept him.
The brilliance of Chee is shown in this instance in that he knew well in advance that he would be rebuffed. I think not many people are so talented to know of the future, of an act and its consequences. ĎWe knew all alongÖí So why would he go on and on to send the proposals to WP? To show his sincerity not to the WP but to the voters that he had tried and was sincere to want to negotiate with the WP in a win-win-win situation? One thing for sure, to the WP, his proposal was a lose-lose-lose all the way. I think this part Chee did not know.
Now maybe Chee could tell us if he knows what would be the result should the SDP contest this by election. He must know too, I think. And since he is going to send in the SDP candidate, very likely he would have known that the SDP would win. Otherwise there is no point wasting so much time and effort, and maybe even losing the deposit.
Is the SDPís plan to contest this election a win-win-win-win-win for all the candidates?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punggol East Ė A straight fight

By now everyone would have known that the SDP has withdrawn from the by election. This is the best news yet for people who want a straight fight between the PAP and the WP. And yes, it will be a straight fight. No? You mean there are two other possible parties like the SDA and the Reform Party standing as well? Are you sure they are political parties and are you sure they will make any difference? I am quite sure both will lose their deposits if they dare to stay on to fight. Anyway, they are inconsequential, just some side shows that no one needs to pay any attention to.

The SDP could pull in some serious number of votes that will weaken the chance of the WP. That is what the SDP could do if they contest the by election. But it would not be like winning a battle to lose a war. SDP will not win this battle and their participation will cause them the war in 2016 as well. It is better to save the money for the war that is coming. The decision to withdraw will put the SDP in a better state comes the GE. Thanks to their Central Committee, they have saved themselves from a major disaster that would have finished their chances in 2016.

While the whole picture of the by election has changed, the biggest winner is the cyber citizens. They have put enough pressure on the SDP to withdraw. And this is through a concerted effort of reasons and logic that convinced the SDP that going against them would be a great folly. Internet has never been such a powerful and persuasive tool in any general election. In this instance, the persistence of netizens and their forceful logic have forced the SDP to do the rightful. The internet is real and the voice of the internet is immediate, and to be ignored at their own peril. Without the internet, such vital feedback would not come about. The SDP took heed to save an otherwise embarrassing and costly by election.

The other internet brigade has also been very active trying to throw reasons into disarray and advocating a multi corner fight, appealing to the egos of individuals in political parties to try their luck. If this disinformation prevails, a multi corner fight would be inevitable. It seems that the people could not be easily swayed and those trying to support a multi corner fight had lost. Though there were a lot of contradicting views, the stronger view of reasons emerged to rule the day.

What the internet could do, the power of the internet, is much more superior to the main media. The internet penetration is much wider than the main media in a political situation like this. The main media would not be able to do what the internet could do, fresh and constant news or views straight out of the oven. The internet is now a game changer and no amount of internet brigades could distort the picture and the views of an enlightened population of netizens.

Should the WP win this by election, it has the internet to thank for. At least a multi corner fight has been avoided. No need to waste time on the jokers that are willing to throw away $16,000. The voters are smart enough to dismiss them as rubbish. Maybe by the end of the day, both could also withdraw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: