Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Kopitiam Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your heart beats with the rhythm of the drum
This phrase from the French Revolution song strikes a cord to many oppressed people around the world for decades and will go on to drum the heartbeats of more oppressed people in the future.
When your heat beats with the rhythm of the drums in The Miserables is like the mass consciousness coming together to think like one and act as one. When the consciousness of the people becomes one, an uncoordinated thought of the people somehow becomes the thought of everyone in the masses, it is a kind of mass awakening. It is a rare event, but often happened in the historical pasts to move a people in a common direction, with a common purpose, for a common goal.
The actions of the unruly and uncoordinated masses gelled together with an unconscious consciousness of what is best to do and what is the right thing to do. No one could envisage what really went on in the minds of the people in the Hougang and Punggol East by elections. No one was there to tell the people how to vote for the best result for the interests of the masses. Even if someone tried, the people would not necessarily do as told.
The strange thing about Hougang and Punggol East was that they all thought and acted in the same way, as one people in a calculated move of sophistication. The way the masses came together to vote in a similar manner, as if they were thinking as one, was a very powerful force. It was like the force was with them and they were the force.
When the unconsciousness of the people is one, their hearts beat with the rhythm of the drums and they move as one, act as one. The unconsciousness is emerging and becoming clearer as the people becomes one people. Some call it people power. It is here and growing, a strange phenomenon that arises like being guided by the invisible hand. The force is here, you can feel it in the air. The moment has come for a momentous change.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost of land of HDB flat
Roy Ngerng wrote in his latest article claiming that the cost of land of an average HDB flat is about $200,000 for a $300,000 flat. This will be raised in the 3rd ‘Return Our CPF’ protest rally at Hong Lim on 23 Aug. I am not sure how Roy derived at this number. Taking it as a good estimate, presuming Roy has done his homework, let’s see what this figure means?
Assuming that Roy is talking about a 1000 sq ft flat. And assuming that the block is 24 storey high. Now multiply that $200,000 by 24, it will give $4.8m. It will mean that each sq ft of the land will cost $4,800. Is this a reasonable sum to pay for a 99 year lease land on which a 99 year lease flat is built on? And the figure will be a staggering $6,000 per sq ft if it is a 30 storey high block of flats, and more if higher.
How much is the land cost in the private sector? Looks like Roy’s number is too high, or is it another undiscovered truth that Roy is going to talk about?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Day Protest Rally at Hong Lim
Topic: Should we unite to build a fair and just society for our fellow Singaporeans?

A protest rally will be held on National Day organised by Han Hui Hui and her friends.
Below are a few of the examples that speakers will talk about on 9 August, 4pm to 6pm at Hong Lim Park:
Foreigners taking our jobs
Lowest public healthcare spending as a percentage of GDP in the world
Lowest real rate of return amongst pension funds in the world
Most expensive public housing in the world
30% of households spend more than what they earn
Hardly any real wage growth
High cost of living – Most expensive city in the world
The speakers include Leong Sze Hian, Patrick Low, Benjamin Matchap, Tay Kok Weng, Pek Chee Yong, Roger Caleb Chua etc etc.
For those who are not attending the NDP at Marina Bay, this is another event that they could attend without the need for an invitation.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return Our CPF – 23 Aug 4pm @ HLP
The speakers for 23 Aug 4pm #ReturnOurCPF – HLP will be as follows:

4.00pm – 4.15pm Mr. Patrick Low
4.15pm – 4.30pm Mr. Jeremy Lim
4.30pm – 4.45pm Ms. Janet Low
4.45pm – 5.00pm Mr. Shawn Lee
5.00pm – 5.15pm Mr. John Ng
5.15pm – 5.30pm Mr. Leong Sze Hian
5.30pm – 5.45pm Ms. Han Hui Hui
5:45pm – 6:00pm Mr. Roy Ngerng
For the information of those who are interested.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A caricature of the Hong Lim Protest Rally
Last week end was the 3rd Protest Rally on the Return Our CPF series. This is going to be a monthly affair and the next protest rally is scheduled to be held on 21 Sep. As usual, as expected, the turnout is not going to be as good as the first Rally when more than 6000 turned up.
Last Sat my estimate was about 500. Some were happy to chirp in, see so little people turning up, so interest is fading. This may be so and may be not. Many have gotten the message and understood the issue involved. Not turning up does not mean giving up. And it is not cheap to attend a rally when transport cost is so high. The important thing is that the issue is being kept alive, burning.
The other stark observation is that the Return Our CPF Rally is turning out to be a strictly people’s affair. It is not organized by a political party and political parties are clearly absent in these rallies. If they would care to support, each party could send a couple of hundreds of supporters to fill up Hong Lim. No, it is the people and their money and the govt. It is non political in this sense. It is the people demanding for the return of their life savings and the govt would have problem if it tries to pin it down as a politically motivated affair.
Why the political parties are staying away from Hong Lim and Roy and associates is puzzling. They could at least show some support to the people’s cause and unhappiness. Their absence is so glaring. Are they abandoning the people to fight for themselves against the govt? What would they have to say in the next GE when the people asked, why were you not there to support us and fight for us when we need you? Why are you leaving us alone and let Roy, Hui Hui and Leong Sze Hian to lead and stand shoulder to shoulder with the people, and you are not around?
The Hong Lim Rally has its good points. I can see how Roy, Hui Hui, Leong and a few of the speakers getting all the training needed to speak in a political rally. They are being honed, and getting better and better. They would be crowd pullers in the next GE, if they stand. They have gained stature as the leaders of the people. No one needs to bestow them or crown them as leaders. They are natural leaders and have stood up when the people needed them. They are not paper leaders but real leaders of the people. They sing and cry with the people, selflessly, and not getting a single cent for it. In fact they may have to pay if the donations did not come in for the rallies.
Who are the leaders of the people? Where are the leaders of the people?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candle Light Vigil on 13th September at Hong Lim Green
There will be a Candle Light Vigil for Roy Ngerng on September 13, to express support and solidarity for his High Court hearing.
It will be held at Hong Lim Green from 7 pm till midnight. You can bring your own candles, ground sheets, umbrellas and light refreshment for the evening.
As Roy will be facing the biggest trial of his life it is incumbent on all of us to come forward and lend him the moral support that he needs,
He has done us proud by raising an issue which was left dormant for so many years.
We will mark the evening with music camaraderie and communion on our country’s future.
Please come with your friends and loved ones and spend an evening under the stars
Thank you.
Convenors: Patrick Low, Teo Soh Lung

The above is a release by the organisers of the event. For those who would like to show their support for Roy Ngerng, this is a good opportunity to do something. It is not just about Roy, but also about opposing the methodology used against the critics by the rich and powerful. We have witnessed in the past how the rich and powerful have used the courts of law to force their justice onto the weak and poor who could not afford the legal fees and had to swallow injustice against them.

For those who have contributed to Roy's legal fee fund generously, this would be another way to show your support, in silence, in the darkness of Hong Lim, with a little light.

For those who are fighting for the return of their CPF money, they could show a little gratitude to this young man who have valiantly fought alone, on their behalf, against a mammoth machinery. Show Roy that you care and are deserving of his sacrifice. Show the rest of the Singaporeans that as a people, you are united behind Roy and would not abandon him at a moment when he needs your moral and physical support most.

The last thing is for Roy to walk alone in this difficult part of his journey, with the people he was fighting for walking away from him.

Would you be there? Do you care? Is there anything that matters to you for you to want to be there with your candle light?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Roy Ngerng mean anything to you?
Here is the programme of the vigil on 17 Sep at Hong Lim Park. If Roy means something to you, if Roy has done something good for you, hope you will be there to reciprocate, a show of support at the very least to Roy for speaking up for your CPF.
Program for the Candlelight evening:
7.30 pm People gather for a short welcome speech
7.35 pm Lighting of the Torches at the mound
7.45 pm Singing “We Shall Overcome”
“How many roads must a Man walk down?”
“ When we walk through a storm………..”
8.00 pm Well wishers light up their individual candle and plant it along the white carpet walkway, near the mount or the tent. After that they can sign their good wishes on the cloth banner.
8.30 pm Light refreshment of moon cake, chai tow kuay and tea
9.00 pm Sing or rap to your heart’s content:
“To dream the impossible Dream”
Songs from “Les Miserables”
Midnight: Goodnight farewell we hate to say goodbye.
We hope you will use the occasion to get to know each other better and share your hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow.

Convenors:
Teo Soh Lung
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotland’s referendum – what does it mean?
The Scots are going for a referendum to decide to stay or to get out of the United Kingdom. It is a decision for a people, to want to be on their own to decide their own future or to let the Englishmen to decide their future. It is about breaking away to chart a new destiny by a people for a people.
We had a referendum to decide our future as a people in 1963, to give up our independence, to be part of Malaysia, to allow leave our destiny in the hands of the Malayans, to be part of another country. Given the frail nature of a small island with little natural resources, there was fear that we could not survive on our own. Conventional wisdom was to hook ourselves to a bigger land mass, a bigger country with a bigger critical mass and population.
We voted to be part of Malaysian, to surrender our rights to determine our future to another people. On hindsight it was so risky, treacherous and dangerous. So many things could go wrong and we could be forever under the domination and oppression of another people. We were lucky to get out of the arrangement to be our own master. It was also lucky that we did not a referendum to get out like the Scots. We would not be able to get out if a referendum was needed then unless the referendum was to be decided by the original Singaporeans and not by other people.
Today we have this policy of increasing our population by bringing in foreigners, sanctioned by a PWP in Parliament. What does this paper ultimately mean to the original Singaporeans? It is another merger of people, a merger with other people, to own this island. When the foreigners are small in numbers, we are assimilating and integrating them into us. If it is the other way round, we will end up assimilating and integrating with the foreigners. It is like merging to become part of Malaysia. In this case the original Singaporeans, if it becomes a minority, will be merging with a bigger foreign population, to be part of them.
We are going to bring in so many foreigners to decide our future, our destiny. Get it? This is another major change to our country and identity. But most important of all, we are going to hand our future to other people to decide for us, to decide our future, the future of our children. Think about this carefully. What is the difference between what we are doing with this PWP and being a part of Malaysia? Why are the Scots going to a referendum to want out of UK, to reclaim their country and their sovereignty and the right to determine their destiny?
Does the PWP that is going to change our life, our country and our destiny, deserve or warrant a referendum? This is no joking matter. This is no masak masak, child play. The implications and consequences are very serious and can be very adverse to our life and our future. Such a big change cannot be decided by a handful of people surely.
So far the good things about a high influx of foreigners were simply about economic growth. What about the other side of the coin? What is the price the people of this island are going to pay to give half of the island’s to foreigners? The foreigner’s share could be bigger if the number is bigger? No country in history ever did such a thing willingly without force. What are the negative and adverse effects of this change? What if the foreigners are not as generous and kind as us and want the island to themselves when they are in majority and ruling the island?
What do you thing?
Do we need a referendum? Do we want to surrender our country and our future to foreigners on a silver platter?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Lim Protest Rally getting complicated- Sat 27 Sep 4pm
Below is an extract of Hah Hui Hui’s letter posted at TRE. The details and comments are available at TRE.
Dear all,
I need you to bring your families and friends to come to HLP on 27 Sep 4pm.
Their (PAP) grassroots will have 5000 people coming to HLP this Sat.
Yesterday, a map which shows the route of the march this Sat was being released. I went to collect the banner for our stage at 5pm today, whistles, vanguard and markers are bought too.
When I reached HLP to meet up with the contractor to finalise everything, three tents were being built to block the path of our march.
4 grassroots leaders came out and negotiate with me. They were trying to persuade me not to organise any event.
Their event was supposed to be on Sat 10am, they said their tent will be demolished only on Sun. But if I were to insist in holding an event this Sat, they will change the timing to 4pm and ferry 5000 people down. They also showed me their generator and said that they will get more loudspeakers than us….
Han Hui Hui
According of one commentator JayF, there is an event organized by YMCA and the Guest of Honour is Teo Ser Luck. The timing of the event is from 2pm to 8pm.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘Heckling’ at HLP – What would Ravi say?

Looks like Ravi is going have more businesses than he can handle at the rate things are happening. Roy and Han Hui Hui are going to need his help again after the ‘heckling’ incident on 27 Sep. A lot of heat has been generated and a lot of strong words have been uttered in the heat of the moment. In nature when dogs are in heat, nothing goes into the head except emotions and animal lust. Some people are going to regret for saying things they should not be saying. I am going to avoid participating and contributing more vile comments to the situation.

I was there at Hong Lim and without getting ‘emo’ and with the benefit of hindsight, I must admit I don’t have much foresight, at best not further than the tip of my nose, but I would like to pose a few questions that were shared with me by some senior gentlemen. Ok, the seniors may not be too careful and may be irresponsible with their money, but for an event like this, the wisdom of age counts, much better than boys and girls in heat, definitely.

And these are what they said, or the questions they thought Ravi would be asking should he have to appear in court on behalf of Roy and Hui Hui. Ravi would likely be asking the judge, ‘Your Honour, if a reasonable man were to know that there is going to be a mass protest in Hong Lim Park, what would he do?’

The facts are as follows: The Return Our CPF protest had ever attracted 5000 protestors and averaged about 1,000. And from hindsight, such protest can turn violent even if the participants are old uncles and aunties. They are very nice people for sure. But there is no guarantee that their behaviour would be as expected. They could be provoked by saboteurs.

‘Would anyone approve another event involving vulnerable young children and senior citizens that could add another one or two thousand people in the park? Would the organiser be putting these young children and senior citizens in a situation when their safety could be compromise?’ Remember that a friendly picnic at East Coast Park was not approved by the sensible police for fear of unexpected incident, like people rushing to meet the MP. Here we are talking about a mass protest, not a picnic.

‘A second question your Honour, would it be so easy and appropriate to inform the second party applying to hold their event that the park was already booked for another mass event?’

Would someone think it is wise, if Han Hui Hui was the subsequent applicant, to tell here to book another date? There was no strong reason for her to die die must hold it on the 27 Sep to clash with the other event. Did someone bother to tell her that the other group were vulnerable people that could even be scare of big crowds and loud noise? If she were to know that such an event was being held, it was likely that she would change the date of her event.

Or, if the organiser of the event for children and seniors were to know that there was a protest on the same day, would it not be reasonable for them to avoid taking any undue risk and change to another date? Would they think that the safety of the children and seniors are paramount and they could not afford to expose them to unnecessary risk?

I think these are very straight forward and simple questions that Ravi would likely ask if he were to be in court for this ‘heckling’ incident. Ravi does not even need to think like a genius to ask these simple and reasonable questions. If ordinary senior citizens could ask such questions, any reasonable person would be able to ask them as well. And the answers are obvious, and the two events would never have been allowed to be held at the same time and same place, and riskimg some uncomfortable and unacceptable incident to happen.

And Ravi will say to the Honour after asking the questions, ‘I rest my case your Honour’.

Coming back to the wild and mischievous accusations and condemnations, were those people there to know what was going on at ground zero? There were plenty of police officers there and if there see anything going out of hand, they would have stop them there and then and may even make arrests on the spot. And Ser Luck was the best person to give the order. He was right in the centre of the ‘heckling’.

Are the boys and girls with their loose mouths saying that they knew better than Ser Luck when they were not even at the scene? Ser Luck is not a greenhorn politician and must be fully aware of what could happen and mentally prepared to take swift and appropriate actions. He did not and the atmosphere was cordial. You want me to post a few photos of Ser Luck walking around with a smile on his face immediately after the ‘heckling’?

Boys and girls are best to behave like boys and girls and not to cry father and mother without knowing the real situation.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hong Lim Affair – More than Uniquely Singapore
Let me put a positive spin to this sordid affair and turn it into a splendid affair. Too many negative views had been expressed in the media and it is timely that we look at in from a different angle. The two events staged at Hong Lim were incompatible in many ways and no responsible person in his right mind would put the two together. It was light oil and fire, a potent combination for an explosive incident to happen. The beautiful thing about this affair is that all ends well.
Mind you, the little annoyance and the very sensitive nature of the special needs children, and only one needed comforting can be considered a very successful story. Just ignore the noises generated by those with vested interests to say the things that needed to be said, the YMCA event went off almost without a hitch other than the 5 min interruption when the minister arrived at the scene. Even then, there was not pushing and shuffling or any threats of physical violence to anyone. No one feel unsafe or that they were exposed to any danger. The guests of YMCA were children and senior citizens, hundreds of them. And at and around the stage, there were hundreds of eager and excited parents and their little ones participating in putting up dance items and performances.
At the other corner, the protestors were screaming at the top of their voices to get themselves heard as they competed against the sounds from the YMCA event. Many did not notice that at times both parties waited and took turns to speak, alternating, without anyone coordinating and guiding them. There were some sorts of courtesy and sharing of time between them. You could not have a better arrangement anywhere among competitors.
And the uncles and aunties were taking shelters from the blazing sun under the big tents of YMCA. They treaded carefully and avoided disturbing the guests of YMCA in their tents. And YMCA staff accommodated them without chasing them away, out into the hot sun.
The participants of the two events blended together as one, in the same limited space, and no one could tell which event they were attending. With a few thousands of them there, fighting for space under the afternoon heat, no tempers were flared. Come, come, think about it, think about how two unrelated groups could co exist together in such a situation without any trouble?
And when the protestors were marching around the big tent housing the YMCA guests, they did not brush or knock onto them as they went past each other. And some of the children joined the fun marching with them.
Credit must go to the participants of the two events. There was a lot of self discipline and mindfulness with both sides accommodating each other and not to offend the other party. The protestors were noisy and loud as what a protest should be, but absolutely no violence or brashness. The YMCA event was louder but like what a children party should be.
Singaporeans must stand up and salute them for having a party with different agenda together, and both did what they wanted to do and successfully completed their missions. This is the most exemplary act of living in a squeezed city, living in peace and harmony with your neighbours.
Now, why is everyone kpkb about? They better thank their lucky stars that nothing really bad happened in such a circumstance. So many things could have gone wrong and there were so many vulnerable children and senior citizens present. And why? Because no one was there to cause disharmony, annoyance or trouble to anyone. There was no bad intention, no malice.
And because Singaporeans are not violent by nature, Singaporeans are peace loving people, If I am not wrong, the majority of the people there were true blue Singaporeans. That is the Spirit of being Singaporeans.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving Roy

The tag of heckling Special Needs Children has been hung on the necks of Roy and Hui Hui. And it is not only some jokers saying it. The main media are saying it, the MPs and Ministers are saying it. So far no one from the establishment is saying other wise. So, would this tag be burnt on the skins of Roy and Hui Hui?

The social media have risen in protest to tell another story. Ok, I must say that the only person who was directly involved in this ‘heckling’ thing did not say it. There were many eyewitnesses from the social media, the uncles and aunties. There were photos and video clips to show exactly what had happened. And the police are investigating the incident like a crime had taken place. Would it be enough or would a Commission of Inquiry be conducted on this ‘heckling’ incident? Heckling Special Needs Children is now a very, very serious thing in this island, more serious than gum chewing and graffiti I think.

Why is this so? Compare to the Little India Riot, this is definitely a more dangerous incident. First, the rioters in Little India were very nice people and were happy people. In this case, the uncles and aunties were very angry people for they were fighting for the CPF money, their life time savings which that believed must be returned to them. They have a grudge, a grouse to settle. So there was a valid reason to he angry. And Roy and Hui Hui were very, very fierce. Roy was seen shouting until his veins were protruding from his neck and his facial expression was that of an angry young man. Hui Hui was worse. She was challenging and bullying the NPark Director and the policemen not in uniform. How not to fear her? And their voices were deafening, very much louder than those rioters in Little India, with the help of loudspeakers of course. The only thing they did not do was burning police vehicles.

But that is nothing compares to heckling children, and not only ordinary children but Special Needs Children. If this fact is proven, it is going to be ugly. No one is accusing them of heckling the minister. Either this is not true or not important enough.

So, why Saving Roy but not Saving Hui Hui as well? You see, all the uncles and aunties were above 55. So they would be spared the cane even if the crime is ‘caneable’. As for Hui Hui, she is lucky that as a female she is not ‘caneable’. As for Roy, ‘chiat lat’ man. He is a man, and if this serious crime warrants caning, his ‘pantat’ sure ‘pitcha’, open flower.

Now you see why my title is Saving Roy? And if a COI is convened, we have two freshly cooked and very experienced ex judge and ex Police Commissioner with just the right skill sets for this job. Perhaps they may think the Police could have acted earlier, and more decisive to prevent this heckling incident from happening. Perhaps they could tell the NPark that they should have foreseen this possibility and should not have approved the two events to be held at the same place and same time. Perhaps they could tell the parents that they should not have brought their children to a protest site. There are a lot of perhaps that a COI could talk about.

What are the facts so far? The most authoritative person in the centre of this fracas said the protesters were there for him. Would this be enough to say that they were not after the children, to disrupt or heckle the children? The protesters were at least 20m or 30m from the children, shouting ‘Return Our CPF’ and ‘Vote them Out’. The distance was reasonably far away from the children though the sound could reach them because of the loudspeakers. But the two slogans shouted had nothing to do with the children. And from all their actions, were they clear enough that they were not there to heckle the children?

Special Needs Children are extra sensitive. Some have disputed this claim. Autistic children are highly sensitive and intimidated by the presence of crowds. Are those children up on stage autistic children or Special Needs Children that are highly sensitive to the crowd and noise?

One of the childen performing on stage missed a bit. So it must be due to the ‘heckling’ and nothing else? Did they stumble on the beat for some other reasons? Remember, they are Special Needs Children. And another Special Needs Children needed comforting by the Minister. Did the child say he/she was frightened or heckled by the protesters?

Would the evidence from video clips and eye witnesses be enough to save Roy and Hui Hui for this extraordinary and exceptionally hideous crime against the Special Needs Children, called heckling? Would this tag be branded on them for life, as Special Needs Children Hecklers?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protesters at Hong Lim on 27 Sep called up by Police for investigation
Below is part of an article posted in TOC on the investigation by the Police for ‘Unlawful Assembly’ at Hong Lim during the ‘Return My CPF’ protest rally on 27 Sep.
‘Several participants of the Return Our CPF protest at Hong Lim Park on 27 September have been called up by the police for questioning with regards to the event….
In its letter to the participants to present themselves at the Police Cantonment Complex to assist in the probe, the police said it was investigating “an offence of unlawful assembly” committed on 27 September at Hong Lim Park.
The Online Citizen (TOC) understands that at least 5 of the participants were called up for the investigation on Thursday. Plainclothes officers from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had visited them at each of their homes to serve them the “notice to appear” at the police station.
Two of them told TOC that they were served the notice at midnight on Thursday, just hours before they were required to appear for questioning.
“They knocked on my door at 12.20am in plainclothes,” one of the participants told TOC. “My parents panicked and thought I had committed a crime. They are still kind of panicky now too.”…’
A few points in question. 1. Is Hong Lim Park legislated for such protest and demonstration? 2. How did the gathering of protesters at Hong Lim become an illegal assembly of people? 3. Was the permit withdrawn for the protest rally that made the protest illegal? 4. If the Park is legislated for such purposes, does it require a permit or just a confirmation to use the Park would suffice?
Those being called up must have quite a frightening experience to have people knocking at their door in the middle of the night be they strangers or the police. No one welcomes knockings at their doors in the wee hours of the morning. It is so eerie and scary, like being visited by an owl.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Lim Affair – Who entraps who?

There is this theory going around that Roy Ngerng and Han Hui Hui walked into a trap set up for them. I have another theory, that unwittingly Roy and Hui Hui had allowed a counter trap to fall in place and many fell in without know that the hunter is now the hunted.

The first theory was quite obvious to those who saw it that way. There was this huge party for Special Needs Children and senior citizens. These were vulnerable people and everyone should take special care not to encroach into their area of activities to upset or disturb them. And there were all the good reasons to let this party to be held side by side with Roy and Hui Hui’s protest. And it was very tempting, whether in the heat of the moment, intentionally or unintentionally, or being provoked, to wander into the forbidden zone and to be seen to be disturbing the peace, violating the space of the vulnerable. And finally, to irritate and agitate them, the authority appeared at the last moment asking them to move to another corner of the Park when this could be done well in advance.

Roy and Hui Hui apparently fell into this entrapment, marched into the forbidden zone to be seen as ‘heckling’ the Special Needs Children. Now they must face the music.

The other entrapment theory is that both Roy and Hui Hui would go as planned and let the authority mess up themselves in the eyes of the public by appearing as overbearing and intimidating two young persons. The authority would have to handle themselves very well and proper, with decency but without looking like thugs and gangsters bullying two youngsters. It would be a matter of how the law were used and interpreted and how the process of the law was being applied.

Now let’s recap this unfortunate incident to see if the authority has fallen into an entrapment by chance. The verdict would be in the eyes of the beholder. There would be those who would want to look for all the reasons to entrap Roy and Hui Hui. There would also be those who want to see how fair is the authority towards the citizens and whether there is an abuse of power, and to judge how the authority is behaving.

The granting of the two events with incompatible agenda and dynamics has already raised many eyebrows with many yelling entrapment. It was an event that could easily be avoided but allowed to happen for whatever reasons.

With Hui Hui and her party fully prepared with their video cameras to protect themselves, there came marching, a group of men that required serious make ups to look nice and friendly people, all caught in camera, towards a scrawny little girl that was less than 5 ft tall. It was like a scene from a gangland movie. And while some ruled that the little girl was in defiance, some would not look too kindly on the group of men muscling over the little girl.

The flurry of news splashed on the main media, followed with all the condemnations of ‘heckling’ of Special Needs Children, even from ministers and MPs appeared the next day. It made a very strong first impact on the readers. As days passed and more evidence was produced in the social media, this overload of news in a media that has low credibility rankings by international agencies started to turn rancid. No one believes that there was any heckling in the first place and the accusation was overdone and hardly could hold any water. It backfired and supported the conspiracy theory.

Everyone thinks that it would be blown over when sanity returns. But no. The social media is now filled with coverage of the knocking of doors in the quiet of the night by the police to serve notice to some participants at the protest rally, this time for suspicion of being members of an unlawful assembly. Many eyeballs are rolling. This is going to rattle nerves, and if the authority knows, would not go down well with the public. In the past it was easy as there was no social media. Today, everything comes under the glare of a spotlight.

I shouldn’t use any strong or emotional words on how this is being received by the public, especially the netizens. Comments in the social media have been one way, furious, totally negative, uncalled for, puzzling and exasperating. The authority got to be very careful in what it is doing and how it carries out its law enforcing duty. The people are watching and questioning, very cynical and unforgiving, if not very angry over the latest development.

Maybe the feedbacks in Reach are cheering and clapping at how successful was the first entrapment and failing to see the second entrapment.

Looking at the whole picture, has the authority fallen into an entrapment that puts a spotlight on them in a very negative way? If this is what the public/netizens are perceiving, this unwitting entrapment is going to be more serious and more costly to the govt. The govt must not be seen to be harassing the people or turning against the people. The govt is for the people, to protect the people, the guardian of the people. The authority is everything about the rule of law, fairness and justice to the people. The govt has to be extremely careful not to be seen to be bullying the people, or it will fall right into the entrapment.

Now we have this double entrapment theory, or entrapment within an entrapment. How would they turn out and who would end up the loser? Who is the heckler? Who is entrapping who?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Lim Affair – What is the truth?

Han Hui Hui has told her story of the midnight visit by the Police to serve her the notice to assist in an investigation on the Hong Lim Protest. In her article that was circulating in the social media she mentioned that the interview was from 2pm to 10pm though it started at 2.30pm. During the interview she was not given any food or refreshment. Her note book was seized by the Police and they even attempted to take her handphone away.

In the Sunday Times today, the Police replied that they had tried to contact her many times by phone. When this failed, they went to her home at 9.30pm to serve the notice to appear at the Police station. They also said that it was Hui Hui who asked for the interview timing to be changed but later she turned up at 2.30pm. The interview lasted until 9.30pm. During the interview the Police provided her with refreshments and she took several breaks except for dinner. No dinner?

The Police are conducting the investigation as someone had made a police report. The Police did not disclose the identity of the person making the report or the nature of the complaint. It must be important, whether the person reporting/complainant or the nature of the offence. If not, how could the Police justify spending so many resources, manpower and time to investigate this incident? And they took 7 solid hours to interview Han Hui Hui alone. The matter must be real serious.

Would the Police also interview Teo Ser Luck, the NPark Director, the YMCA officials and Police Officers at the scene to get the hole picture? Oops, typing error, I meant the whole picture.

Whatever, now that the two sides have given their stories, and obviously the facts from both parties are miles apart, someone is going to be charged for lying or making false statements. The facts can be easily proven in this case, I think.

I am not going to ask what do you think. Facts are facts and shouldn’t require thinking when the facts are still hot on top of the stove.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: