Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Kopitiam Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggers and netizens unite

All of us should now be familiar with the case of Leslie Chew, the cartoonist of Demoncratic, being sued for contempt of the judiciary. TRE has posted a couple of articles on this and a call for donation to Leslie Chew to pay for his legal fees. There are many reasons offered on why everyone should support Leslie Chew and also why is this very necessary. Some even suggested turning this into a fund for future use exactly for such cases when bloggers are sued for engaging in such ‘nefarious’ activities like blogging on social and political issues that are important to every citizen of this City.

It is only prudent to expect seeing more of Sue and more bloggers needing funds to defend themselves when Sue is now the number one darling of people who are unhappy with what appears in the social media.

Bloggers and netizens must close rank, be united as a people. Only then will they remain strong and can withstand the strongest typhoons coming their way. For those who can, contribute whatever you can to the Leslie Chew’s fund. His POSB Savings Account is 121-32104-1 as posted in TRE. A few dollars from everyone can come to a significant sum to help this unfortunate cartoonist who is also a blogger and a netizen. This is not an issue of legally right or legally wrong. It is just to help another citizen in distress.

Stay united as a people, a country, a nation, only then can the people be strong to face whatever storm and adversities thrown at them. Stay divided, one by one will be taken down in due course. This is a test of the unity of the people, a test whether they share the same values, beliefs and principles, and a test if they are one people, one nation, the people of a nation coming together, standing united to help and support one another in good and bad times.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWP’s last stand at Hong Lim

The turnout at Hong Lim for the Population White Paper protest was deserving of a report in the Sunday Times today. It was 500 strong, much lesser than the first and second protest that saw thousands thronging the field of Hong Lim. Should this be expected? The initial anger aroused by the 6.9m people that will populate this little piece of rock has fizzled out as usual. The internet and the two protests have done their job for allowing the Sinkies to air their frustration. Once that is out of the way, life will go on as normal. No need to say ‘Let’s move on’. It is a natural course of events here.

The Sinkies will be unhappy but just for a while. Once they know that protest will be in vain, they will get on with their lives and there are better things to do, like making more money and churning the property market and aiming for that red Ferrari. The govt can now do what they know best and according to plans. The Sinkies have spoken and all is well. 6.9m it will be.

It must be very assuring and comforting for the govt to know that protest in Singapore is just like that. It is just an expression, nothing more nothing less. No need to send in the troops to quell the 500 people or 5000 people at Hong Lim. Let them enjoy their little moments of feeling important. All protests will die a natural way. Look at the empty ballot boxes case? Forgotten, history! Anyone aiming at anything? Hawker centre cleaning or Rolls Royce bicycles? All forgotten.

Now that this trend is confirmed, I think the govt will be encouraged to loosen the lease and allow it a few feet longer. Let them protest and say what they like. It is healthy. The people will want to protest and the govt will want to do what is right. They may appear to be heading for a collision course, but nay, it is just a public airing, a show of a little unhappiness, like a little sulking.

The govt need not sweat the small stuff the next time Gilbert and his friends apply for another protest at Hong Lim. The govt can even be generous and throw in some freebies like chicken rice to make the protesters happier. Long live the protest spirit in Sin.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boycott of La Fondue Restaurant

Gilbert Goh of Hong Lim Park fame has called for a boycott of the La Fondue Restaurant for discriminatory advertisement against Singaporeans. The offensive advertisment that let to this boycott is here:

‘HIGH SALARY FOR FILIPINO CHEFS ONLY E PASS, PR AND DP HOLDER

URGENTLY NEEDED CHEFS!!!!...We are currently an all Filipino team at the service and kitchen department….posted by oloresisimoroginald@gmail.com.’
Bloggers are up in arms against such a discriminatory advertisement that came immediately after what MOM had said and specifically told employers to be sensitive and to give the citizens a fair chance in employment. Maybe the restaurant did not read the newspaper or did not know of the MOM’s directive.
The next day the CEO of La Fondue, Ravinder Pal, issued a clarification and an apology citing that the management did not know about this and it was the work of an employee and disciplinary action would be taken against him. This did not please the netizens and they are claiming that the apology was not sincere and insulting their intelligence.
This is the first time a boycott has been called against a restaurant by the people, a bottom up initiative. And from the angry posts in the internet, it is not going to go down quietly. It is unfortunate that such an incident occurred.
While the netizens are angry, they should not lose the plot. The main problem at stake is the good jobs that were taken away by the so called foreign talents at PME level. At the lower level and for jobs that the citizens are not too interested, the reaction should be moderated. The employers need to hire and if the citizens are shunning those jobs, some flexibility must be there for the business to exist and operate. Of course in this case it was the outright discriminatory advertisement that is the main issue. No discriminatory advertisement is allowed under the MOM’s directive. It is against the law.
While netizens are right to be angry, let’s focus on the right stuff, the good jobs that PMEs have been discriminated and booted out, replaced by foreigners. This is the crux of the matter. Do not be distracted. Do not lose your focus. Singaporeans want the good jobs.
The fact that such a protest came about is telling a story, a new development in the city state. The citizens are getting increasingly aware of their plight, of their ownership of this island. They would not want to be pushed around by foreigners anymore. And the rude foreigners, the beating of citizens by foreigners, only helped to fan the fire. They are claiming their rights as citizens of the island, they are going to reclaim their country. It is a good sign that the citizens have awakened and politicised, and know that they have to fight for their own existence in their homeland.
This is the beginning of our version of the Tea Party. The people are standing up for their own rights and well being. They are taking matters into their own hands, a bad sign that says the govt has failed them. When they do, there is nothing to stop them. This is only the first step. This is a concrete action oriented move by Gilbert Goh following up on his PWP protest movement. Gilbert could set up his own team of investigators to expose companies that are guilty of selling out the citizens. He could open an avenue for whistleblowers to go to him or his blog for follow up actions. The whistleblowers can be assured of actions from Gilbert and his team. No lip service.
It is action time and more boycotts are likely to be called if the employers continue to flout the employment law and discriminate against Singaporeans. The govt cannot go after the people or Gilbert who are seen as protecting the citizens’ interests. Making things difficult for Gilbert could backfire, as anti Singaporeans.
There is a cause, and a champion is born.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Ngerng needs your help
Hello everyone, thank you for your support and well-wishes. It has been an arduous two weeks. I am doing well so far.
Last Sunday, the Singapore prime minister issued a letter of demand to me for defamation. I have thus far acceded to the requests of the prime minister to remove several of the articles that I had written and a video that I made. I have also offered the Prime Minister my apology…
Raising Funds
My lawyer, M Ravi, will be leading a team in preparation for the hearing. As most of you know, he champions many Human Rights causes, most of which he undertakes without charge. However, he only has a small practice with finite resources. In view of the magnitude of the matter, the amount of resources required and the likelihood that it will last almost a year, I need to raise the legal fees required.
I expect the legal fees would amount to at least $70,000 and this would include:
• Filing fees
• Research
• Lawyer’s fees
If you would like to help me with this, you can make a deposit to the following accounts:
• POSB Savings Account Number: 130-23068-7 Name: Ngerng Yi Ling
Any amount will be much appreciated.
The actual amount of damages, which is separate from the legal fees I am trying to raise, will only be known after the court case is over.
Redbean: Roy needs your help, however small does not matter. It is a show of your moral support. And don’t forget to made a date with him at Hong Lim Park, 7 Jun at 4pm to hear him and Han Hui Hui speaking for your CPF savings.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who’s afraid of Roy Ngerng?

I have several titles in mind for this piece, like Crowd Funding or People’s Power Singapore style. The above title is quite catchy and amusing and had my vote. The gist of this article is not about who is afraid of who but the evolving political consciousness of the Sinkies crawling their way back to become Singaporeans again. There are so many serious issues facing the Sinkies today, once timid and docile to the extent of being daft, but gradually rediscovering themselves and recognising the need to stand up to fight for their rights to live a decent life in a country overwhelmed by the presence of foreigners poised to edge them out of their comfort zones. Many have already fallen victims to this deluge of so called foreign talents or funny talents that their life style and livelihood have taken a serious setback.

The current hot issue is the life savings of the people in the CPF and this is gradually transforming into a grey area when ownership becomes a questionable issue to the detriment of their rightful owners. While the Govt continues to behave smugly and try to explain away their rights to determine and decide for the people in the use of their savings, and when and how much should be returned to them as if the money belongs to the Govt, the docile Sinkies are rising to demand to have their money back as promised. For the moment the Govt is still having the upper hand, holding the trump card of legislature to make whatever it wants to do legal. The Sinkies are not taking it quietly, not going to be pooh poohed away by superficial explanations that even children would not find them funny.

This tussle for the return of the people’s savings has indirectly led to a defamation lawsuit involving a young blogger and the Prime Minister. Roy Ngerng has crossed the line by his comparison of the trial of misappropriation of the City Harvest Church fund and the CPF money and the Prime Minister. The PM is demanding for his pound of flesh by engaging the island’s top defamation lawyer to sue Roy Ngerng.

Many people in the social media are rallying to support Roy financially and morally in his legal battle with the PM not because they agree to his allegation but more because of their unhappiness over the CPF money and also a righteouness to defend the weak against the mighty. It is like the people standing up to the govt. It is like a surge of People’s Power against the Govt. And the people are doing it the Singaporean way, through the legal system, abiding by the rule of law.

To protest or to challenge the Govt, they are not marching in the streets with their feet. They are storming into the courts of law with their money. In one day, $15,000 was raised through anonymous contributions ranging from $2 to $1,000. By end of yesterday, more than $36,600 has been received. Roy is aiming to raise $70,000 to cover his legal fees and it looks that this is not a difficult target to achieve. The People’s Power will be determined by the sum of money raised. No violence, no street protest, no burning of police cars or rioting. It is all about money, the only language Sinkies understood.

No money no talk. No money no justice as the price for justice will not come cheap, at least $70,000 for a start. The rich and powerful can literally drown the poor and weak by unleashing the might of their war chest of money.

Would Roy get the support from the people, would the people rise in tandem like a spontaneous uprising by throwing their money behind Roy? Or would the CPF members abandon Roy to fight his own battle, just like all the pathetic Sinkies? From the donations received so far, there are enough Singaporeans who are willing to put their money behind Roy.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contributions to Roy Ngerng’s legal fee hits $50,000
This morning I read that the donations to the cause of Roy’s legal fee have hit $50,000 in 3 days. This shows that Singaporeans are willing to stand up to fight for a cause they believe in, in this case it is not only about defending a young man but also about the fate of their CPF money.
The contributions are still pouring in and are likely to go beyond the $70,000 target. This is the spirit of true blue Singaporeans, the type of Singaporeans that disappeared into Sinkies but rising and standing on their feet and putting their money where their mouth is. The Singaporeans are standing behind Roy, to support the underdog in a worthy cause.
That’s the way to go. For every Singaporean that contributed, there must be tens or hundreds or thousands also in support of this cause. After all it is their money they are defending. The turnout at Hong Lim this Saturday is likely to exceed those that went to support the protest against the Population White Paper.
It is interesting to see how many would be there to fight for their CPF savings. This could be the Kopitiam Movement that is taking shape, a spontaneous cry of the people never seen before.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Ngerng – More than $70,000 raised in 4 days

This episode started out as a defamation suit by Hsien Loong against blogger Roy Ngerng. To Hsien Loong and his legal counsel, Davinder Singh, it was just a simple case of one person claimed to be wrong and seeking recourse in the courts of law.

Roy Ngerng knew he could not afford the hefty legal fees and sought help from the people. The ferocity and speed that Singaporeans rushed forward to stuff money into Roy’s hands to pay for his legal fees are telling a different story. It is no longer a legal tussle between the Prime Minister and a young blogger. This is looking like the Prime Minister taking on a blogger who is backed by people that did not like what was happening and what they saw. They knew that Roy would not stand a chance against Hsien Loong in this case. They knew that Roy would lose but that did not deter them from throwing their money behind Roy. They knew the money would not win Roy the case. But this is not about winning or losing in the courts of law.

This is no longer about David and Goliath. This is about social justice and more. This is about the CPF money of the people and the ever increasing minimum sums and when they are able to get their money back. It could also be about a people losing faith in the PAP Govt and its style of politics.

Hsien Loong would win the defamation suit hands down and could claim all the monetary compensation he wants. But there is a very heavy price to pay for it. The people are going to bankroll Roy and would pay for his legal fees as well as the damages demanded. There are enough people with Roy, and you can even say against the Govt. A legal victory for Hsien Loong could result in irreparable political damages to him and the PAP that would not be easily undone. It could deal a fatal blow to him and the PAP’s chances of winning the next GE. As a political observer, I think this development is very serious, like a spontaneous uprising, and would affect the fate and viability of the PAP as the next Govt. The lid of oppression has been lifted.

Can anyone feel the ground shaken, like the shift of the tectonic plate? Never in Singapore’s political history since independence had the people been so united, so committed to a cause, to close rank behind a single citizen on the wrong side of the political equation. In the past, such individuals were left to fend for themselves, all alone, and the people watched on the sideline like uninterested spectators. None of their business.

The people supporting Roy are no longer the usually meek and daft Sinkies, apathetic and disinterested, that the Govt was familiar with. There is conviction, there is purpose and there is passion, to pick up the cudgel to see it through in defence of not only a young man but for a bigger cause. Not only they want their money in the CPF back, but more.

Could Hsien Loong and the PAP see what is coming, or would they think this is just another flash in the pan incident that can be ignored? It is only a matter of good communications and everything will be back to normal! Any wrong move on the part of Hsien Loong is going to lead to a road of no return, and PAP may not regain the trust and support of the people for good. This could be PAP’s final act before the next GE. It could be an act that would seal the fate of the PAP.

Is there still time for Hsien Loong to pull back and recoup the losses, change the course and to do some damage control, and hopefully still have the majority of the voters behind him and the PAP? Or is my assessment of this episode too overly pessimistic, too dramatic and there is really nothing to it, nothing political? And there will be no harm to the PAP and to Hsien Loong’s political fortune at all.

Am I reading too much into this? What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest protest rally at Hong Lim
This Sat, 7 Jun, a massive rally is expected at Hong Lim to protest against the retention of the people’s life savings in the CPF. “Return My CPF” or "Return Our Money" is the war cry of many grandpas and grandmas and also from the young. For the grandpas and grandmas, they have not much left in their CPF but still money to them. For the young, the fear of a few hundred thousand dollars of their savings being retained by the scheme is sending shivers down their spines.
The CPF issue gained prominence after a young blogger blogged about it and is being sued by the Prime Minister for defamation for his allegation of mismanagement. Roy Ngerng, an otherwise nondescript health worker, is now in front page news in the social media. International media have also picked up the trails and are likely to be present in force this Saturday as well.
The furious effort of the people in pumping money into the pocket of Roy to pay for his legal fees and damages has taken everyone by surprise. The initial shock of facing a lawsuit from the island’s top defamation lawyer representing the Prime Minister must have put on a lot of stress on this young man. The surge of support by the masses has in a way alleviated his fear and renewed his confidence in his cause to tell the story of the CPF savings scheme.
More than $80,000 has been raised in 5 days through crowd funding and with more coming in. It is a cause that affects every citizen, young and old, and touches their hearts. They are going to turn up in full force this Saturday at Hong Lim.
Would other political and non govt organizations stand up to support this cause kickstarted by a young blogger inadvertently? The issue is not political and transcends all political parties and non political parties. Would they rally their supporters to support a young man championing the aspiration of the people to want their money back? Or would these organizations stay away as if it is none of their business?
Political parties in particular would strike out to the estates and walk the streets to ask the people for their support and votes during election campaigning. The people now need their support in this case. The people may not be knocking at the doors of the political parties. But they are expecting the political parties to come forward to support them. Political parties that failed to answer this call, thinking it is none of their business will have no reason to ask for the people’s support in the coming GE. This is a reciprocal act. It is also something that political parties have been shouting, to fight for the people’s interests. Now it is time for them to show that they are indeed fighting for the people and to come forward to stand, not behind the people, but with the people on this cause.
When the political parties called for support from the people, the people answered. The people are now calling, would the political parties answer or would they hide in their little corners and ignore the people?
Would there be a massive turnout this Saturday when the people are marching in front in the protest, leading the protest? Where are the political parties and the politicians? So far not a whimper is heard from them except for KJ Jeyaratnam who would be one of the speakers on Saturday. Would the political parties fail the people?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the political parties when the people needed them?
The Hong Lim Park protest this Saturday is led by a young man with no political affiliation yet but with the support of many CPF members who want their money back. Would there be any political party showing up with their leaders and supporters to stand side by side with the people in this protest? Would any political party think they should seize the opportunity to champion the cause of the people?
Would it be funny that no political party thinks they should be supporting the people when the people needed them most? Or would it be a case that since it is not the initiative of any political party, then they don’t have to show their support. Let the people go and fight for themselves?
What would the people say when these political parties come knocking at their doors asking for their votes in the next GE? What would the people say to these political parties and their leaders? Would they simply ask, ‘where were you when I need you most?’ Or would they just show them the middle finger and slam the doors?
What are the political parties thinking? Would they be seen to be abandoning the people?

Last edited by redbean on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPF Protest Rally – 2 days to go
Roy Ngerng has made a difference. With several million CPF members with their money held back by moving goal posts and ingenious new schemes and totally hapless about it, Roy Ngerng has come along to take up their case with the Govt. In the course of doing so, Roy is now facing a defamation charge connected to this cause and may face bankruptcy and an obliteration of his career choices here. And Roy is only 33 years old.
Many Singaporeans have come forward to put money into Roy’s hands to defend his lawsuit. Many Singaporeans felt that they owed it to Roy to make a stand, to back him up financially, to protect him from bankruptcy. Many will be at Hong Lim Park this Saturday with their Ovaltine and biscuit tins of money to hand over to Roy. They knew that the damages can be prohibitive and more money is needed to help him ride over this rough chapter of his life.
On record, about 1,200 people have contributed to Roy’s legal fund. That is a small drop compared to the millions of CPF members affected by the changing rules of CPF to their dissatisfaction and detriment. Would these Singaporeans step forward to show Roy that they appreciate what he is doing by attending the protest rally this Saturday? Or would they be the pathetic Sinkies, none of my business, let someone else fight for them and pay the heavy price by being on the wrong side of the political equations?
Professor Christopher Balding, a foreigner, acknowledged that he was writing from the safety of being afar. Roy is here challenging the Govt and will risk facing whatever the Govt can throw at him. There is no shelter or protection. The only thing that can protect Roy is the people, the people that Roy is trying to speak on their behalf. The saddest thing to happen is for the people to leave Roy in the lurch, it is Roy’s battle with the Govt. Nobody asks him to do so.
How many people would be obligated to Roy to want to go to Hong Lim this Saturday? How many would just ignore Roy and go about life as if it does not concern them? Would the people, the CPF members, close rank with Roy? Or would they abandon Roy when he needs their support and confirmation that he is doing the right thing and they appreciate it? It will be a sad day and a big disappointment if the grounds of Hong Lim were half empty this Saturday afternoon.
Would the Singaporeans help Roy to make a difference to their CPF savings? I am not sure how many CPF members will be there. But the international media would be there for sure.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPF Protest Rally - Today is the Day

The CPF Rally is today, 4 pm at Hong Lim Park. Singaporeans who want to know more about what is happening to their CPF savings would be briefed by at least 7 speakers, including Tan Kin Lian, Leong Sze Hian, Vincent Wijesingha, KJ Jeyaretnam, Han Hui Hui, M Ravi and Roy Ngerng. Yahoo reported that Reform Party speaker would be Prabu Ramachandran. He may have replaced KJJ.

These speakers will be talking about the CPF from the people's point of view, like looking at a coin from the other side. The young Singaporeans and those reaching 55 must want to know what is going to happen to their money when they reach 55.

A big crowd is expected today, rain or shine.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPF Dialogue – The people taking the initiative

Roy Ngerng and his concerned Singaporean friends held a protest at Hong Lim Park to demand for more transparency and accountability on the people’s savings in the CPF. Other than demanding the return of the CPF savings, they also demanded for better interest rate, how the CPF savings are being invested, abolishing minimum sums, and a list of other things.

This is the first time the people are initiating the conversation, a public conversation on a very important issue affecting every Singaporean. Would the Govt make an effort to respond to the issues and demands raised by the speakers at Hong Lim? Or would this be another monologue, the people talking to themselves just like the Natcon initiated by the Govt, talking only to the convert? In the Natcon it was like the Govt telling the people these would the things they would do to the CPF. The people mumbled and grumbled and that was it. Last Saturday was like the people rising up to tell the Govt what they wanted, what they agreed and disagreed. It is so funny that we have two national conversations but there were no meeting of minds, like two people talking talking but not wanting to talk to each other.

Did the Govt invite critical views like those from the opposition parties or Govt critics to join in the Natcon? Did Roy Ngerng and Hui Hui invite the Govt to Hong Lim Park to speak as well? Apparently up till last Saturday, both sides are keeping each other at a distance or at arm’s length. There was supposed to be a press conference at the end of the rally. When the media were invited to speak, none spoke as if the media were not even there to cover the event. Were the local media present? The foreign media were there.

Hri Kumar is holding a public dialogue with residents of Thomson and Toa Payoh next Saturday to talk about the CPF. Hri Kumar called his public dialogue ‘CPF, An honest conversation’ and invited his residents to register their attendance.

Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Roy Ngerng and Ariffin Sha were reported to have registered for the public dialogue. It would be an interesting dialogue when the two camps met to have a serious and in dept discussion on this very important matter. I think many people from other constituencies would also like to attend. Maybe I should also register my attendance to get enlightened by the two very informed parties on the CPF issues. This initiative by Kenneth and Roy, to make an effort to talk to the other camp, could address a lot of issues and misconceptions about the CPF. It would definitely benefit all Singaporeans.

The avoidance to meet and discuss cannot go on while keeping on a wayang of talking and listening. A healthy exchange in a constructive manner would be a good start to a real dialogue. Now many have doubts whether such a dialogue would be possible, would really take place. Would Hri Kumar welcome Kenneth, Roy and his friends to this dialogue? Or would they be ruled out of order, not qualified to attend?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hsien Loong versus Roy Ngerng, a case he cannot lose
After Roy Ngerng’s apology to Hsien Loong and his withdrawal of some posts in his blog, the defamation suit is now in court pending a hearing in July. This is becoming a case where Hsien Loong cannot lose and it would be a matter of how much would the damages be for tarnishing his reputation.
The big question in everyone’s mind, and in Hsien Loong’s as well, is whether he wants to pursue and win this case. It is a no brainer to ask when a victory in court is a near certainty for the plaintiff to want to back out and withdraw the charge. Exactly, and it is exactly why everyone is asking. A legal victory in this case could end up as a hollow victory. It is the consequence of a political repercussion that would be troubling Hsien Loong as a politician. He has to seriously consider how this victory would play on his chances and the votes for the PAP in the next GE.
The spontaneous,unconditional and unquestioned support of the people in rushing to Roy Ngerng’s aid, to hand money to him to fight this defamation suit must mean something to Hsien Loong and the PAP. The protest rally at Hong Lim and the high turnout out in Singapore’s context must also be telling Hsien Loong something.
There is a message. The people are not happy with the defamation suit. The people are not happy with the govt’s handling of the CPF savings. The people are behind Roy Ngerng even if it is only 40%. How much votes will be converted as a result of this defamation suit is still everyone’s guess. It would definitely cost Hsien Loong and the PAP some votes, and the fear is that it would be enough to tip the scale. Many seats were decided by a 10% winning margin or less.
Would it make any difference if Hsien Loong shows some magnanimity and generosity to Roy Ngerng and call off the suit? What is the difference if suit is allowed to proceed or to stop it now? It is no longer a legal issue. It is politics, it is constructive versus destructive politics. It is not Hsien Loong versus Roy Ngerng, It is more than that. It is Hsien Loong versus the people. It is PAP versus the people. It is about the nature of politics and whether this will change as the country moves forward, or it is more of the same, the same politics of Sue.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Ngerng was sacked by TTSH
Roy Ngerng the blogger that is being sued by the PM Hsien Loong was sacked from his job at Tan Tock Seng Hospital yesterday. He should have seen this coming. His sacking was a matter of time. The reasons, using office hours to advance his social cause that were not within the scope of his work, and worse, engaging in anti govt activities. He had breached the civil service code of conduct and his terms of employment. TTSH may be a private govt hospital but if I am not mistaken, is still run administratively like a civil service set up.
There is nothing wrong with his sacking. And there is nothing wrong with the PM suing him for defamation. The funny thing is that there is a foul smell in the air. There is unease and eyes are rolling all over like something is not right. Unfortunately everything is right, everything is in accordance with rules and procedures and the law, just like the high ministerial pay and all the political appointments. Everything is done legally and no one can find any fault with them.
Like George Yeo said, everything is so perfect, so right and so proper. Roy Ngerng would just have to find another job that allows him to do what he is doing and to wait for his defamation case in court.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An honest dialogue on the CPF
MP Hri Kumar wanted to have a dialogue with his residents in Thomson and Toa Payoh on 14 Jun. The banner for this dialogue reads, ‘CPF – An Honest Conversation: Public Dialogue with Thomson-Toa Payoh Residents’. I wrote about this earlier that Roy Ngerng, KJ Jeyaretnam, Leong Sze Hian and Ariffin Sha had registered to attend this dialogue.
The latest, Kri Kumar did not accept their registration as the event was only for his residents. Ariffin posted a couple of responses by Hri Kumar saying that he was pleased that residents from outside his constituency were interested in the dialogue.
Netizens are crying foul that Hri Kumar is not accepting residents from other constituencies to attend this dialogue on the CPF which is a national issue. I thought it would be a great opportunity for Hri Kumar to give the govt’s version of the CPF story and clarify whatever doubts raised by the people. And if necessary, Hri could bring in more experts like Indranee Rajah or a minister to assist him in this very important conversation. It would be the first opportunity for the govt to rebut whatever issues that were raised at the Hong Lim Park protest rally.
It is all about communication and explaining govt policies to the people and this dialogue could be raised to a national level and would receive greater publicity than intended. It would be good for Hri Kumar and the govt to say what they need to say to the residents and to remove whatever wrong perceptions they have on the CPF issue.
Why should an MP not willing to engage in a serious conversation on a serious matter with the residents, or a few residents just because they were from different constituencies? This is a golden opportunity not to be missed for the govt to say its piece. Why not? Why abstain when so many doubts and issues have been raised by the speakers at Hong Lim and needing answers?
Should not this be what constructive politics be, engaging the people?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: