Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Kopitiam Movement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Kopitiam Movement Reply with quote

Kopitiam Movement
The Americans have their Tea Party Movement to fight for issues that are important to them. Without trying to reinvent the wheel, we may want to call the fight by netizens as a Kopitiam Movement in general, for the good of Singaporeans. There are so many issues that netizens have raised but are scattered all over cyberspace and often lost in time. I would like to sum up a few key issues that a Kopitiam Movement can stand for and to stay the course.
1. To reclaim the rights of the people to decide the size of the population and new citizens.
2. To reclaim the rights of the people to their money in the CPF and Medisave.
3. To reclaim the rights to have a say in how essential services like transport, medical services and education are run for the benefits of citizens.
4. To reclaim the rights to limit the building and sales of properties to foreigners.
5. To reclaim the rights of every citizen to stand for the office of the President.
More missions can be added on to this Movement in the course of time. I will post a window on this blog as a reminder of this Movement and what it is fighting for.
A Kopitiam Movement does not need an official leader like the Wear Black Movement. The Movement is identified by what it stands for and anyone can push for the cause or add new agenda to the cause. It is a Movement without forms but with certain identifiable objectives.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not ignore us!

How many Sinkies out there feel strongly about the increasing population and more foreigners that are going to be brought into this country without their consent, and despite their disapproval? The voices of objection have been spoken and the 77 men and women have heard it. They don’t take heed. They are ignoring the people of this island that called this island home and wanted to fill it up with more and more people. After creating this life time crisis, they are offering another solution that could lead to a many life time crisis as the only solution.

No, the people, excluding the 77, did not want more people here. No, they want growth but through other means. No, there must be other ways to create growth without having more people. There can be growth without increasing the population. There can also be growth with 5m or 4m people. Whose theory is it that without population growth there can be no economic or GDP growth?

GDP growth and population growth are not inseparable, that they must go in tandem, that without one you cannot have the other. They are not inseparable twins. The people want growth but not the huge population that will be introduced into this little piece of rock. Don’t ignore the people, don’t ignore the more than 5m people.

This Saturday’s Hong Lim Protest Rally could be our answer to the Tea Party Rally, our very own Kopitiam Rally.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/16/2013
Spring in Hong Lim Park
As I drove down AYE towards Hong Lim Park the sky was covered by thick black cloud. There was a drizzle and lightning flashes across the sky. It was quite threatening and I was not optimistic of the turnout for the protest rally. Who is not afraid of rain, thunder and lightning in the open?

I arrived just after 4pm and the Hong Lim multi storey car park was already full. I ended parking right at the top level, and I was lucky as the few empty lots were quickly taken up. I hurriedly made my way to Hong Lim under a slight drizzle. The rain had petered off and no more lightnings. Thank God. Maybe the large crowd already at the wet and muddy field was strong enough to chase away the dark clouds. Umbrellas were everywhere, and the noise, the roar and tremble, could be felt as I approached the field. It was filled to the brim. I have never seen so many people in Hong Lim. The crowd was 10 times bigger than the Gay Rights Event, easily 5 to 6,000 in my estimate.

The drizzle, the wetness and the refreshing air, and a people acting in unison, with one dream and one purpose, it was like spring is in the air. I was busy trying to find some good angles to shoot some pics for the blog. The light was just good enough and can't complain about the rain though a bit worried about my camera. My disappointment was not able to meet up with Fish, but with the crowd it was near impossible. Neither was I able to catch a glimsp of Patriot and the rest of you. Manage to meet up with a few RI mafias who were there too. And yes, took a photo with Dr Wong Wee Nam too.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are Singapore…16.02 to 2016

16 Feb was not the best day to hold a rally. It was still in the midst of CNY festivities and people would be too caught up with visiting friends and relatives and having parties and feasting. And to ask them to go down to Hong Lim Park in black was not exactly a good idea when the in colour was red. Though this would not affect the other communities, it was still a drawback in terms of getting as many people as possible to the ground.

Then the organisers were quite cheap skate too. No packet chicken rice and no free coaches to bring the supporters to the site. And no goodie bags too. I am sure by throwing some money up front the attendance would definitely improve. How many Sinkies would take the trouble to be there when getting there also cost money as public transport is not cheap any more. Then there was the risk of being caught in a train disruption and not even getting there.

And of all things, the sky was threatening. It was raining and could pour dogs and cats. Many would choose the comfort of staying at home, high and dry and continue with their CNY celebration.

And many did not even know that such an event was being held. There was not an inkling of news in the main media that there was a protest rally at Hong Lim. Only the internet savvy Sinkies were privy to this event. And they could do just so much to get it across to their close friends and people close to them. The dissemination of this event was slip shod at best and restricted by having no access to the main media, the newspapers, radio and TV. No neglect on the part of the organisers of course. They did their very best.

But they came, the Ah Gongs and Ah Mahs, the mums and pas with their children, toddlers and babies despite the inclement weather. The young adults were there too. I have never seen so many Sinkies in one place for a long time. At least 5000 were there, or more. And there were many familiar faces. Bumped into several old friends and acquaintances, and practically everyone present a Sinkie. You knew, you could feel it, you felt comfortable, felt like you were back to a time when nearly everyone was a Sinkie.

Where have you Sinkies been all these years and only to show your face in Hong Lim, to be together as one people, one country and one Singapore? We have lost that feeling. We have lost that sense of belonging, that this is our country. Our daily encounters, every one other person is a stranger, a foreigner. And the media and the Govt were talking non stop about these foreigners and how good they were and how indispensable they were to our good lives. We are now a poor and pathetic lot that could not help ourselves and are dependent on these foreigners for our welfare and well being.

When will this country become a Sinkie country once again? At Hong Lim, you could sense that the people were one, together as one people, and wanted to have their country back. They knew something was missing and they had to act to get it right again. Would they have the good fortune to recovering their country and be owners once more, or it is a lost cause. They are now nearly a minority in their own country. By 2030, they will be the absolute minority and may be herded into some reservations for their own protection and their own good, so that they would not become extinct, like the Red Indians. Johore, Batam and Bintang are good sites for reservations for Sinkies by then.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The significance of Hong Lim Spring

Has anything changed after 16 February? Was the attendance at the protest rally loud enough to be heard by the Govt? Did the Govt hear or want to hear the voices of the people, its citizens, the people that voted them to power, the people that voted the MPs to parliament to represent their interests, to speak out for them?

The 77 MPs that voted for the White Paper, did they vote because the Party told them to vote, or did they vote because that was what the people wanted them to vote for? If they are voting against the will of the people, are they going to stick to it and go along with the recommendations in the White Paper? Or would they reflect and want to reconsider their duties to the people in parliament, whether they should rescind their votes and act to have the White Paper thrown out as the people wanted them to do so?

The main issue now is about representing the people or betraying the trust of the people. What would these MPs do? What would the Govt do now that the people have vehemently spoken out against what it wanted to do? Would the Govt continue its deaf frog way, do what it thinks is right and ignore the wishes of the people?

Assuming that the 77 MPs just buat bodoh, no, we didn’t see anything or hear anything, what is Hong Lim Spring or protest all about? Was there a protest? And nothing changes, that they did not want to do anything, what are the people going to do about it or can do about it? Similarly, if the Govt continues to pursue the things it set out to do in the White Paper, what can the people do about it?

Would there be any substantial changes from the Govt following Hong Lim? Would the people rise to the occasion to challenge the Govt not to pursue what the people did not want it to do?

Would things remain the same, things as per normal, business as per normal with the Govt and the ministers and MPs going about their lives as if nothing really happen? The best part is that the Govt could simply ignore whatever happened at Hong Lim, show no respect to the wishes of the people. The Govt not only knows best but has all the power to do as it pleases.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Govt’s response to Hong Lim Spring
So far only two ministers, actually one minister and one ex minister have commented on the Hong Lim Rally. And as expected, nothing flattering. One said the unhappiness to the White Paper was expected but forgot to complete the sentence…would go away after the venting of anger, nothing to worry. Another, just rhetoric, or another way of saying, all sound and fury but no substance. He added, the views were one sided and appealing to emotions.
The PM and DPM have not said anything, or maybe it was nothing important and not worth talking about. What can 5,000 people standing under the rain do? Standing under the rain actually has a very significant meaning. Hsien Loong recalled proudly the National Day Parade when he was a drum major, I think, and how the whole parade, soldiers, working adults and students, stood under a heavy downpour at the padang. So too were the ministers and MPs, and the President, all braved the rain to make a point, a proud nation and a people that would not be subdued by a little rain, a little difficulty or discomfort. They stood their ground as one proud people, united and resolved to face the future and whatever difficulties and challenges there be.
Hong Lim Rally was not a National Day Parade, no national leaders, no parade commander or regimentation. The people were there on their own accord, and could walk away freely. There was no need to brave the rain, no compulsion to get wet all over, with mud under their feet. But they stood the ground to make a point. They were unhappy, angry and wanted change.
Can these people be ignored? Are they alone, or each one has a family and friends that shared the same thoughts? And there must be many more that would like to be there but could not be there for some reasons. It was not 5,000 people that opposed the flooding of the country with more foreigners and a bigger population. There were more.
I am sure the political leaders know that the unhappiness was not limited to those present at Hong Lim. Many who were overseas too wrote to express their support for the movement. How widespread is this movement and how serious are they to want to oppose the White Paper?
My gut feel, there are many more not there that felt the same way. Ignore them if you dare and want to be re elected in 2016. Dismiss them as mere noises, rhetoric, lunatics that thought it was fun to stand under the rain, or plain stupid. Just do that. No need to bother with these lunatics. Less than 3 years to ignore them.
The seed of a new Spring has been planted in the mud of Hong Lim, and watered by the Spring rain on 16 February 2013. It will sprout roots and new shoot, and take a life of its own.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May Day at Hong Lim – A sequel to the Feb 26 White Paper Protest
Gilbert Goh is organizing a second protest on the Population White Paper on May Day at Hong Lim Park once again. The mission of this protest is similar but would include more issues like jobs for Singaporeans, CPF, minimum wage and others. He is targeting a 10,000 crowd this time. This second protest rally will allow those who have missed the first one not to miss it again.
Among the speakers that have been lined up so far are M Ravi and Braema Mathi from Maruah Singapore. He is working to get more civic societies to come on board.
This is looking to be a rally the disillusioned Singaporeans are looking for having missed out on the first one. The momentum and support from the earlier rally in February could make this a must attend rally for true blue Singaporeans. After having experienced the first mass rally, the organizers are likely to be better prepared for the crowd this time.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May Day protest for what?

My article posted here and reposted in TRE received fairly enough comments and generated some awareness of this coming event. Many Singaporeans are rooting to be there and calling for other Singaporeans to be there, to bring their friends as well. Many see the event as a critical moment to determine the future of Singapore and their children. They do not agree with stuffing this island with more foreigners that are mostly a bunch of parasites, the super rich and real talents excluded, here to feast themselves and provide unnecessary and undesirable competition for their children. And the Singaporeans have already been called racists and xenophobes for their unhappiness with all the parasites. It is not a race to the top but a race to the bottom especially for the average Singaporeans. Not many Singaporeans are that talented and not many have parents that are ministers or multi millionaires that could buy a few properties for them to collect rentals and no need to work for the rest of their lives.

The people, at least those who indicated that they are going, and the silent majority, do not agree with the plans of the Govt, or the plans of the 77. Whose wisdom is right, the masses or the 77 is debatable. Also it may not be an issue of right or wrong but a matter of what the majority wants and what the 77 wants. Should the majority give way to the tyranny of the 77?

In the first protest rally, the theme was ‘Say No to 6.9m’. This looks like the natural them for the second protest, a continuation and persistent theme that says the people did not want a big population. Any Tom, Dick and Harry will know that it is fatal if we just rely on increasing population for economic growth. That is an easy and sure path to self destruct. We need growth but through other means.

Many other slogans have been suggested, eg The Day We Say No to 6.9, The Day We Stand Up For Our Children, The Day We Stand Up To Tyranny, Say No To The 77, and many others.

This May Day is important to the future of Singapore and to the children of the Singaporeans. It is about their well beings, their dominant position as owners of the islands. It is also about capitulation, allowing foreigners to take their place, take their jobs and their livelihood. The foreigners are coming for their second chance for a better life. We can empathise with them. But when a better tomorrow for them is a sadder tomorrow for our children, should the parents of our children stand up and say no to this change? Some say it is a kind of genocide, the extinction of true blue Singaporeans, being dispossessed of their homeland, being driven out of their own country by foreigners who come to claim their rights to a better life at our expense.

Singaporean parents, are you that daft or irresponsible to not do anything when you can? Would you Stand Up For Our Children, Say No To Singaporean Genocide, Say No To Our Extinction? I can hear them cry. May Day can be the day Singaporeans close ranks to fight for their own existence and their children’s future. It is idiocy to let in foreigners, give them a pink IC and claim that they are one of us, and to take away food on the table, the food that rightfully belongs to our children. Come May Day, will Singaporeans be fighting for their future, a better future for their children? Quite silly really. Why should they be fighting to claim back their country? Who is the real enemy that is doing this to the Singaporeans? Like they said, ‘With friends like these, you don’t need enemies.’

May Day, May Day, May Day! What does this day mean to you? Were you there or did you walk away?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count down to May Day Rally at Hong Lim
10 days to the protest rally and I have this nagging fear that the rally may not happen. The little activities last week, NPark also involved, so innocuously, advising the organizer to apply for permit, the hints of foreigners at the rally, part of the organizers, not sure if being there as spectators will count, is making people nervous. Would there be a last minute cancellation by the authority that no permit was applied and some members of the organizing team were PRs or foreigners? Or because a lot of foreigners will be at the park, some specially ferried there by tour agencies for a new experience of peaceful demonstration inn Sin City?
The call so far is for Singaporeans to be there, rain or shine. For safe measures, Gilbert may want to add another call, be there no matter what. Even if the rally is cancelled by the authority, Singaporeans can still be at the park, with no speeches or stage or shows. Would there then be a case when the park will be barricaded to keep Singaporeans out? It will be really weird won’t it?
The message from the people against the big population is loud and clear. Would the Gang of 77 hear or get notice of it? Would anyone of them be bothered to say, hey, the people did not like what we are going to do? Let me try to put myself into the Gang of 77 and try to sense or feel what are they thinking, if they do bother to think about it.
In the first place, are all 77 in full support of the 6.9m population? I hazard a wild guess that maybe 50% are not in favour but bo pian, got to toe the party line. They did not see it as a national issue that affects the lives of all Singaporeans and their children and grand children and more. They only see it as a party position. It is what the party wants. No care what the people want.
Actually, how many of the Gang of 77 are in support of it? 10, 5, 3 or 1? How many are really in favour of the 6.9m? Whose idea is it? Who really wants to push through this idea? Is there someone that has the omniprescient power of God to guarantee that this is the only way forward, there is no other way and Singapore will be finished? Or someone really believes that this is the mandate of heaven and his will is the way, all the peasants can kpkb, no matter. My way is the way. What I say goes?
Until today, it seems that this 6.9m deal is already cast in stone. No one would want to take a step back to say, hey, the people don’t want that, or at least a significant number of people are unhappy, shall we go and ask them again, maybe a referendum? Or it is case of ignoring the people as the people’s view are just not important, the people are daft and cannot see the goodness of the 6.9 position?
What does this whole episode say about the Govt? The Natcon is still ongoing, going into stage two. There are still plenty of opportunities to talk about this 6.9m. Or is this something that cannot be spoken about? Why is this issue so sensitive that it must not be discussed further, no room for discussion?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making May Day at Hong Lim a non political event
Nizam Ismail mentioned that his participation as a speaker at Hong Lim somehow has become an issue. I think this is not good for the May Day Rally at Hong Lim which I would like to see it as a people’s event, a non partisan event, a political party neutral event. And after reading Gilbert Goh’s list of speakers, it dawns on me that speakers from one big party are not represented. This is no good.
I would recommend Gilbert to make a serious effort to invite speakers from the ruling party to Hong Lim. That would help to neutralize the image that it is anti Govt or anti PAP. This is a people’s movement and every citizen from every political party should view this as a national event and participate in it freely like the National Day Parade where all political parties are invited, supporters of all parties will come forward as one people one nation.
There is still time for Gilbert to do the necessary to make all political parties happy. How about trying out Tan Cheng Bock or Inderjit Singh? Those ministerial grade would be a bit difficult to invite I think as they will be busy with their May Day commitments.
How Gilbert, you can do it. Quickly send out the invitations and make a few personal phone calls. It will be good for all politicians to be there as they will be seen as championing the cause of the people, speaking for the interests of the people, as leaders of the people. Not being there could be seen in a different light.
Isn’t this May Day Rally what democracy is all about? It is the people having a say of their future and the future of the country. Can this be wrong?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish will be at Hong Lim

Some of you may still remember Feed Me to the Fish and his passion to protect Singaporeans and their children from this questionable 6.9m population that is akan datang. Some are now flying the kite of 10m which will make 6.9m looks small and much more acceptable. We have yet to hear someone knowledgeable or responsible to tell the people the other side of the story, of what 6.9m could mean, the consequences and effects of such a huge population in such a small piece of rock. Nay, no one that is worth something, in monetary terms, will want to say something silly like this.

Fish may have left us for nearly three months. He was there at Hong Lim during the first Rally with his whole family. I am sure he will be there in full spirit to support the call for not going the 6.9m way. Fish is not going away, quietly.

The Spirit of Singapore is in people like Fish and all the Singaporeans who care and are concerned for the future of the island and their children. Would there be more Singaporeans in Hong Lim today or will apathy take over and Singaporeans just resign to their 6.9m fate? I can understand those who think this 6.9m is a good idea for not attending the Rally. For those who disagree and do not want to see 6.9m in the near future, it is their choice and opportunity to make a stand today.

How many will be there? Would Hong Lim bring Singaporeans together as a people that will stand together in a crisis? Or will Hong Lim prove that Singaporeans are a defeated people, waiting to be extinguished and to disappear, to be replaced by new migrants becoming new citizens?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to make out of May Day at Hong Lim?
I was there as an observer, met some bloggers who have followed my blog and listened to the views of Singaporeans there, mostly negative. One thing, the crowd was much smaller than the previous rally, probably less than 3,000. But this time there were more media representations. The other point to note was the predominantly older crowd. The young were less represented, perhaps more busy having a good time while it still lasts.
I must say that despite the smaller crowd, the speakers were more enthusiastic this time and speaking with more vigour. Leong Sze Hian made his often statistics laced speech simpler and easier for the people to understand. And the star speaker must be Ravi, the famous lawyer of the downtrodden. He posed for a photo shot for me. Ravi was simply exciting and witty in his speech. I remembered him saying that it needed a cleaner like Vellama to sweep clean up the Constitution or something to that effect. The crowd loved him. He was furthest from the stigma that he was having some mental problem. I think the people having mental problems are those who think so.
Many issues were raised in the presence of a respectable crowd. The main issue of 6.9 took the main platform. But after all have been said, would it have any impact on the Govt? Would the Govt be bothered to listen and reflect on this big population game plan and tone down on the aggressive ambition? I think the Govt is likely to ignore this Rally totally as if nothing happens.
There was a lone independent speaker who spoke generally about the same issues. He must have felt very passionate about it to mount a little mountain in Hong Lim with his own loudspeaker to speak to the crowd. And beside him was a poster that said it all. ‘You call us noise. We call it truth!’.
To some, what were being said are plain noise. But for the noise makers, it is their version of truth. Who’s will shall prevail? No prize for the answer. Looks like Hong Lim Rally will just be another rally that will soon be forgotten as most Singaporeans are busy making money and have no time for it. 6.9m or 10m, so what, they will take them in their stride.
Gilbert and his team and their hope for a bigger turn out must be feeling a bit dejected though they were not showing it. The Singaporeans that would be affected by the outcome of a huge population were not coming forward to support the cause. The Govt won hands down. The White Population Paper will be executed duly and in good time. Singaporeans should just live with the 6.9m comes 2030.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A support the White Paper Rally
Now, would it be interesting for another group to organize a rally in support of the Population White Paper at Hong Lim? We can use the two events to make some comparisons, the organization, approval/permit application, speakers, turn out etc to see if the people are in support of the White Paper or against the White Paper.
I think organization and approval should be a piece of cake just like the one organized by Gilbert, no interference and everything will go on smoothly. As for speakers, very likely the pro White Paper will have more important and dignified speakers that will draw a bigger crowd. A lot of great names are flashing through my mind. The turn out would likely be at least 10,000, double or triple the protest Rally.
How about it? Would someone like to take on this initiative? It will be interesting, definitely, and we can also see the coverage given to the event in the main media and over the air.
The more I think about it the more enthuse I am over the potential of this event. I may go for the chicken rice or better still if someone will to donate some abalone porridge. And that will be nice.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HongKong - 430,000 protest for one man one vote
The Hongkies were fighting for their rights for one man one vote on the streets. They took this fight very seriously to prevent the gradual erosion of democracy over time by inaction. And this fight is going to be a tough one as the right of one man one vote is a western version of democracy that does not match up well with parent China’s communist system of one man one vote.
Can we learn any lesson from the Hongkies in fighting for our rights? About 5,000 Sinkies turned up at HongLim to stage a protest against the 6.9m population that is seen as suffocating and pressurizing on the limitations of land in the island. The 5,000 was not even a quarter of the 21,000 turnouts for a Gay Party in the same venue.
Mind you, Hong Lim is a safe place designated for such peaceful protest. No one will turn out if it is a street protest like in HongKong. I am quite sure about that. This is best seen by every organizer of events in Hong Lim assuring the people to come as the protest was legal, ie, they would not be arrested. A street protest is illegal, you know what that means.
I think another reason why the number of Sinkies turning up at Hong Lim was so small must be the fact that there are really very few Sinkies left in the island. That must also be the reason why in govt statistics, Sinkies are always lumped together with PRs as locals. I think to really separate the two numbers will scare the wits out of the remaining Sinkies here. How many Sinkies are really left in the island and how many by 2030?
There will be no protest of the size like in HongKong to ever happen here unless it is organized by the Govt of the day, with all the approvals and support, including free meals and free transportation. Maybe there is really no reason important enough for the Sinkies to want to protest as everyone is so happy. Life is only difficult and troublesome when they cannot buy their Hello Kitty toys.
Maybe missing out on Kitty toys could be more nightmarish and a good reason for a big turnout in a street protest. Nothing else could command that kind of emotions and affection.
PS. 17 million Egyptians marched in the streets to demand the resignation of President Morsi. And the march was quite peaceful without rioting. And so was the HongKong protest march, with children and old folks tagging alone.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti mainland Chinese in Hongkong
“They grab degrees, they grab jobs – do HongKongers deserve to be the lower class forever?,” reads the headline of the ad. “We oppose the mainlandisation of HK universities and demand the rights of education and jobs returned to HongKongers.”
“Seventy per cent of students at Hong Kong’s graduate schools are from the mainland,” it continued, “They are allowed to stay in Hong Kong for a year even without a work permit. And they can apply to stay longer once they get a job offer or start their own business!”….
“Let’s look at Hong Kong’s professors – eight out of 10 are from the mainland,” wrote a Facebook user named Anita Wang, “Let’s drive all of them away”…. [Source]: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1250368/hongkongers-raise-money-ad-against-mainlandisation-hk-universities?page=all
The Hongkies are protesting against the invasion of mainland Chinese into Hongkong, taking away university places and employments. This is quite similar to our situation here except that the mainlanders are actually citizens of the same country. If Hongkong were to be swarmed by foreigners like what is happening here, what will the Honkies do?
They would not send 5000 people to Hong Lim like Sinkies do. I think the Hongkong Govt would not last a single day without mass street protests daily if that is the case. Imagine having Indians, Malaysians, Pinoys, Thais, Indonesians, Myanmese and all the Southeast Asian people, Europeans and PRCs in Hongkong, and forming 50% of the population. Imagine the foreigners going in to take their jobs and discriminate against them?
Such thing can only happen in a City where the citizens don’t even think or believe that the island is their country and all only think of is emigrating, running away. And Hongkong did not have national service or nation building to teach the Hongkies that the island is their home. But somehow they know that it is their home and will fight to protect their home and interest.
Only people that have no homes will think of running away from their place of residents. No fighting spirit or dunno what to fight for. Sinkies are really sad, some said daft, some said stupid. When they are being replaced and discriminated by foreigners they can only think of running away. And the foreigners also told them to get lost if they could not compete with them.
The reactions of Sinkies to the invasion of foreigners are expected. They have been told that the foreigners are here to help them. So the more foreigners the better and they have to be grateful for that. And since they are so helpless and cannot help themselves, it is only natural to move out as they are no longer useful or unable to contribute to the City, or unable to make a living in the City.
After reading above you may want to know how contradictory the below statement posted by a blogger in TRE sounds.
• Nathan:
July 4, 2013 at 3:59 am (Quote)
Hong Kong is an inalienable part of China. This is a fact. Their fate is not in their hands. Whereas Singapore is a sovereign state whereby the people have the right of self-determination. We yearn to be master in our own land but instead have been enslaved by our Government. We are determined for real political change but not altogether so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: