Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Be mindful and responsible in whatever we do.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A story of a country - posted in TRE by a blogger called BK
Below is a story of what a country means and what it is like to be a citizen of a country that looks after its citizens.
January 12, 2016 at 1:56 pm (Quote)
Just wanted to share this amazing story:
How a country prioritises the needs and rights of its individual citizens says a lot about how much it values their contribution to society. And Japan is a living example of such a country.
Some three years ago, the Kami-Shirataki train station in the northernmost island of Hokkaido, Japan, was about to be shut down by Japan Railways —the group that operates the country’s railway network.
At that time, ridership at the train station had dramatically fallen down because of its remote location and even the freight service had ended there as well.
However, when Japan Railways noticed that it was still being used every day by a single passenger: A high-school girl, on her way to school, they changed their minds and decided to keep the station open just for her until she graduates.
While it may sound like an unbelievably strange thing to do, according to CCTV News, it was a decision that Japan Railways made in order for the lone girl student to complete her education
The company even adjusted the train’s timetable according to the girl’s schedule.
The train stops there only twice a day — once to pick up the girl and again to drop her off after her school day is over. The unnamed girl is expected to graduate this 26 March 2016, which is when the station will finally be closed.
And the Japanese government’s this act of making education a priority hasn’t gone unnoticed as social media users are all praise
“Why should I not want to die for a country like this when the government is ready to go an extra mile just for me,” one commenter wrote on CCTVNews’s post. “This is the meaning of good governance penetrating right to the grassroots level. Every citizen matters. No Child left behind!”
http://says.com/my/news/kami-shirataki-train-station
PS. This is the type of country worth defending and dying for.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one owes you a living
It is so easy to utter such a comment when one has millions in the bank account, oops I mean many millions and many bank accounts, and many multi million dollar landed properties. Might as well say ‘you die your business’, who cares? KNN, if I have so many millions I might also say such darn things to the losers in life. It is only natural when one is rich and comfortable to shit on the losers. Human nature is like that. Only when they are in the same shit hole then they will say ‘let’s stand together as one and fight together as one’.
Tony Tan in his Parliamentary Speech talked about the threats from the Islamic State and terrorism. And several ministers came out to say Singaporeans must unite and stand together to fight against terrorism. The slight problem here is that the people are so divided by how much they earned and how much they have that they have become water and oil. There are people living in $50m or $100m bungalows and people living in 2rm and 3rm flats that they could not afford to pay and only hope that they could pay up in 30 years if they continue to have a job. Would the rich and the poor think the same, to fight together against terrorism regardless of how many millions they had in their bank accounts or how many dollars left inside their pockets, not enough for the next meal? Or would the losers turn around and say, ‘no one owes you a living’. You so rich you go and fight and defend your millions and your multi million dollar properties?
What about the millions of foreigners that are here taking the good jobs from the citizens and beating up citizens when they are unhappy? Are they going to help out in defending the citizens against terrorism? Or are the citizens supposed to defend, fight and die for these foreigners?
We have a fractured and fragmented society to the extent that to each his own, you die your business are the new normal. No one owes you a living is the mantra of the day. It applies both ways, not just one way.
What terrorism? What have the losers got to defend for, what have they got to lose? ‘Everyone has a part to play to keep Singapore and Singaporean safe’. What is that? And Vivian said, ‘The rise of nationalism, protectionism and the polarization of society in many regional countries have further exacerbated the challenges faced by Singapore.’ But these are other people’s problems. Singapore does not believe in nationalism, in protectionism, we believe in a borderless country, everyone can come here to live and work and to live in harmony. Singaporeans will protect them, their wealth and safety, even if these foreigners feel free to bash up Singaporeans for fun or for whatever reasons.
Singapore is a united people, foreigners and citizens will be protected from harm, from terrorism. Singaporeans will unite and stand together to fight terrorism. Not sure if the foreigners here think the same way.
How many people will be shouting, ‘You die your business’? How many people will be shouting,‘No one owes you a living’? How many people will be shouting, ‘Let’s stand together and fight together’?
Would the electorate vote for a politician to tell them he does not owe you a living? Why would the voters vote for someone to be paid in the millions only to hear him say, ‘No one owes you a living’?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your PC or laptop is hacked?
I had this dreadful experience when this loud angmoh woman’s voice blasted out from my speakers. It went something like this. ‘Please call this number if you want to get your data in your computer back…something like that.’ And a window popped out from the screen with a phone number starting with 800-xxxxx, could not remember the rest of the digits. I quickly switched of my laptop.
This happened last Sat, 25 Jun 16 when I was reading TRE site. Shit! Then the screen went blank. I knew that I was hit. I turned on my anti virus for a full scan and no virus or malware was found! But when I logged on again, I could not access the internet. The indicator went swirling when I clicked on the Chrome icon but nothing happened. Tried several times to confirm what I did not want to know. My photo files were still ok. But my Word’s files were unreadable. A window popped up when I tried to read a file with a Window Word initial and the following sentences. Your Word program needs a converter to read file correctly. This feature is not installed in your system. Please click to install program or something like that. And there were two buttons, Yes and No to click. I refused to click suspecting the worst. My files are held at ransom.
The only thing to do is to seek help. I also bought another PC for immediate use. My friends in mysingaporenews blog were very pessimistic. Big trouble, gone case. Spoke to a computer sales guy. He too said serious and costly.
I asked another guy who told me to reset laptop to factory setting would help. I nearly tried but hesitate as I would lose all the apps loaded. Thought of doing a full saving, lock, stock and barrel, but still hesistant.
Then I tried another way. Eureka, it works. I can now gain access to the net. And I also found a way to read my Word files. Alright, not to alarm the hackers or leak out the secret, I am not going to divulge what I did in this blog. But anyone who wants to know can email me for my solution if they have been hacked. It did not cost me a cent. But I don’t guarantee that it would work in your case but very likely it will.
Redbean – Normal service has been resumed.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great money saving ideas for the HDB
HDB is worried that it will lose $100m a year if it does not raise the parking fees. After writing a piece on it, another blogger, a jjgg, commented HDB should do away with charging parking fees to save money, or at least don’t have to lose $100m yearly. Actually this comment makes a lot of sense.
Let me work out the numbers, the operating cost of running and managing the carparks came to $700m a year. The electronic parking system costs $300m to install not counting maintenance, repair, servicing etc etc, and the total cost of managing the carparks will balloon to a loss of $100m, ie all revenues less all cost = loss of $100m.
Now, according blogger jjgg, if HDB would to do away with running the carparks, no need to manage and charge parking fees, it will save $100m a year, instead of losing the same amount. It would also save $700m on operating cost. And no need to worry about escalating costs. This would work out to a neat saving of $ the carparks and save at least $950m a year. A small sum of the money saved can then be used to beautify the carparks and cleaning. Like that, HDB management must be very happy. Win win man! The residents who have to park their cars in the carparks would also be very happy, parking for free.
And most important, the next GE sure win, 90% majority votes.
What do you think? Isn’t the present carpark system creating problems and cost to HDB, working and doing for nothing? Why go through so much trouble to lose money and to make the residents unhappy? Why start something that loses money when doing nothing can save so much money and make everyone happy?
700m + $100m plus also not having to own and maintain the $300m electronic parking system. While the electronic parking is still new, it can be dismantled and sell off at a discount, would still easily bring in $150m at half price.
See, so simple. Just do away with managing
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore, rock solid partner of USA rewarded
During the heydays of the British Empire, they rewarded their subjects with OBEs, KBEs or GCBEs and a chance to kneel before the Queen of England to be knighted. In modern day diplomacy, Empires still reward their allies and individuals for their contributions to the Empire but in different ways. Singapore has just been rewarded by the USA with a state visit and with the President of the USA hosting a state dinner to our Prime Minister in all pomp and pageantry. Many countries, especially those in Asean would be green in envy for the kind of honour and reception Hsien Loong was getting at the White House.
What is this rock solid partnership all about? It is all about shared interests and common mission for a peaceful and prosperous Asia Pacific and a more secured world backed by the American military pivot in the region, with military bases and weapons to make sure there is peace and security. What have Singapore done to deserve this honour apart from hosting US military personnel and equipment here, like airbase for the P8 Poseidon spy planes and littoral combat ships?
Singapore’s unstinting support for the TPP is another big act that is most appreciated by the Obama regime. Not sure if this would turn bad when Trump or Hillary takes over. Singapore’s support for the US military pivot and the military intervention in the South China Sea need no further explanation. Not sure if Vivian’s absence as the co chairman of the China Asean Summit during the final briefing with Wang Yi is also part of this rock solid partnership. But Singapore’s undying and continuous call for the Americans to remain in the region to balance the growing influence of China is sweet music that the Americans would love to hear, being invited to dominate a region by the countries in the region.
There are many other cooperation and support that Singapore offered to the Americans, like being part of the Coalition of the Willing and sending military personnel to Iraq and other areas of military operations that the Americans are involved, for peace and security of the world of course.
Asean leaders that want to be invited to the White House and to be honoured and feasted like Hsien Loong sure have a lot to learn from Singapore and a lot to do to deserve such a great honour. Malaysia can count itself out for a long time or at least until Najib is removed and a more amicable PM that enjoyed being invited to the aircraft carriers takes over. Philippines would stand a good chance to be the next guest of honour in the White House. Unfortunately the chance has diminished without Aquino. Aquino would definitely be invited after The Hague Tribunal Show and would be greatly appreciated and honoured if he remains as the President.
China too has something to learn from this American diplomacy to honour its allies and rock solid partners. China may want to invite Hun Sen and wife and host an equally big dinner in Zhong Nan Hai with all the pomp and pageantry to reward Cambodia for the behind the door support in the last Asean Foreign Ministers Meeting in Vientiane. Hun Sen would feel better even if he is called a Trojan Horse by those in the American camp. Trojan Horses enjoyed being rewarded when the contribution is significant and to the interests of China. The Chinese must learn to be suave and savvy in black tie diplomacy as well.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore ready for rocket attacks
I read this from David Boey’s blog. David Boey is a military expert and a spokesman for Mindef and should know what he is saying as he is accessible to information Mindef would want the public to know and information that the public did not know. Here is what David Boey wrote:
Response to plot by Batam terrorist cell to fire rockets at Marina Bay
Thanks to steady investments in defence capabilities - some of which have yet to be unveiled - the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) can detect and destroy artillery projectiles such as rockets in mid-flight.

The SAF has amassed several decades of experience operating radars designed to locate enemy artillery positions by tracking shells or rockets to their point of origin. Five types of counter battery radars have been fielded over the years by the Singapore Artillery and, in recent years, by the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF).

The RSAF counter rocket artillery and mortar (C-RAM) radars are operated alongside guided munitions that can be launched in quick succession, in all-weather conditions and at very short notice to intercept aerial threats like rockets. This new capability underlines Singapore's ability to anticipate and respond to a wide spectrum of security threats.

We are heartened by MINDEF/SAF's proactive and resolute stance in defending Singapore.
Posted by David Boey
I remember reading an article about the how the Palestinians attacked the Israelis with their hundreds of $30 homemade rockets that rained into Israeli territories. These were very cheap DIY rockets made from makeshift metal pipes and explosive material plus whatever shrapnel they embedded to penetrate the Iron Dome. Even if the radars could detect them, the Israelis just did not have enough anti rocket missiles to match the incoming rockets.
The Israelis defended these rocket rains with their expensive anti missile missiles that cost a million or more a piece. Fortunately or unfortunately many of the makeshift rockets broke through the defensive shield, or mosquito net, of the Iron Dome, there were just too many of them to take down.
Fortunately or unfortunately, the ISIS cells in Batam or nearby would not have the critical mass to rain rockets into Marina Bay or into other parts of Singapore. It would be a real test of our radar detection system and how many missiles we have and could launch to take them down, and how many would sneak through and give us a nightmare.
It is always comforting to know that our defence is intact and in good hands. Would someone be asking for THAAD? Just a couple of billion dollars only, to protect Singapore from ICBMs from God knows where?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bukit Batok does not want to go away
Remember the rats incident? Remember the by election? Now it is about TB and how children in a kindergarten were exposed when a FT teacher has active TB. Active hor, infectious. Now the children had to be screened and for a few to be infected is very likely.
How many more children will be exposed to this almost non existent disease in this island? How widespread or serious is TB in this island today?
With more than 2 million foreigners here, with many now citizens or PRs, what kind of risk are we exposed to? TB is only one such risk. How many other kinds of biological and non biological risks that would have a long term health effect on the population and is this a fair price to pay for the large presence of foreigners from third world countries being invited here?
There is a price to pay for everything. It is not always free for the benefits we are deriving from them. How to vet the 2 million foreigners here? Were they vetted before entry?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald Trump the only sensible man in the West
This is a report from Germany calling for its people to stock up food and basic necessities in case of a catastrophe. What catastrophe, war with Russia? Read below:
Germany is planning to urge its citizens to stockpile food, water and other supplies in the event of a catastrophe or armed attack.
According to a report by German broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW), citing the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung newspaper, the move would be the first of its kind since the end of the Cold War.
The proposal is reportedly contained in a government civil-defense-strategy document, which says that people should stock 10 days worth of food and a sufficient supply of water, energy, money and medicine that would allow them to stay put long enough for the government to respond.
The mood in Germany has been unsettled recently following a number of horrific incidents. In the latest violence, on July 24, a Syrian suicide bomber injured 15 people at a music festival in the central German town of Ansbach. The same day, a Syrian refugee killed a woman and injured two others with a machete in Reutlingen. Just days previous, an ISIS-inspired attacker was shot dead after stabbing several people on a train in the south of the country.
The huge influx of refugees — Germany accepted more than a million last year — has sparked fears among many Germans that terrorists have entered the country under the guise of seeking asylum.
And they are calling for European govts to take in more refugees knowing what could happen if only a small percentage of the refugees are terrorists in disguise. And many would even call for more refugees to prove that they are not afraid, to prove that they are doing the right thing, to prove that they are simply stupid beyond redemption. This is an inevitable trend of event that would lead to the destruction and an end to the European civilization, the destruction of Europe as a modern, orderly and peaceful place to live and to work in.
Only Donald Trump is sensible enough to know what the hell is going on and how to stop it, to save America.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China misunderstand Singapore? Really?
Tommy Koh wrote a piece titled ‘What China misunderstands Singapore’ in the ST on 21 Oct 16. Before dealing with the content of what he said, let me just take a broad view of what the article is trying to say. My first point, is the author assuming that the Chinese are not that clever and did not understand what Singapore is all about? If that is the case maybe Singapore can loan one of its super talented diplomats to help the Chinese understand Singapore. Even our journalists and political thinkers are all full of themselves and wanting to teach the Chinese how to run their country.
Oh, they did not know that Singapore is a multi racial country and is in the middle of a sea of Muslim states and have different kinds of problems and issues to think about. They did not understand or got no intelligence to understand that Singapore needs the Americans to use might is right to protect Singapore from its neigbours if they turned hostile.
Ok, let me deal with the straw men that were raised to be shot down. I would not deal with every little piece of thing the author said but just a few pertinent points for discussion. The Chinese, because Singapore has a Chinese majority country, ‘has given rise to unreasonable expectations on the part of China towards Singapore’. Now what are these unreasonable expectations and why are these unreasonable? ‘They feel that since Singaporeans are fellow Chinese, we should have a better understanding of China’s policies than other Asean countries. They also expect Singapore to support China’s policies.’ The first expectation, a better understanding of China’s policies, unreasonable? Even without the Chinese majority, any foreign officer or leader in charge of foreign affairs are expected to try to have a better understanding of the policies of big powers. Whether he/she agrees is another thing. It will only be an issue when taking a position. What is so unreasonable about a better understanding of another country’s position?
The second expectation, Singapore to support China’s policies. This would be unreasonable when the policies are against the interest of Singapore. And if it is a case of a tussle between two super powers, it would be unreasonable for China to expect Singapore to support China against another superpower. Likewise it would be unreasonable for Singapore to support another super power against China. Ok, this part is only true if Singapore really wants to be neutral. See, we can see clearly why China is unreasonable but blind to our own unreasonableness. Oh, I forgot, we support US position, or not really support US position, is because we are supporting principles, supporting international laws, supporting freedom of navigation, and these seemed to be the same as what the US is supporting, so we are not supporting the US against China, we are not unreasonable. My eyeballs are rolling. To say this kind of argument is clever is as good as saying snake oil salesmen are very clever.
I do not want to rehash why the kangaroo court is not UN backed and is not about international law or freedom of navigation is affected or someone is more principled and someone is not.
How many reasonable people, principled people, really believe, honestly believe, that the kangaroo court, the way it was set up and the way judgement was passed, is about international law, upholding international law and about principles, justice and fair play?
I will touch on the other 3 ‘misunderstandings’ if I feel exasperated enough to touch on them later, one at a time.
A kangaroo court is a kangaroo court, UN backed or not UN backed. And this kangaroo court was definitely not UN backed. And its decision was nothing binding and nothing about international law. It abused international law by its rubbish interpretation of reefs and islands. Not all international judges are intelligent and the kangaroo court is a good example to prove how silly these people can be.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When racists and religious bigots rule
How sad it would be if this island is taken over by racists and religious bigots that went around attacking everyone and claiming to be victimized and discriminated but the truth is that they are the real racists and religious bigots using racism and religion as a tool to attack the innocent.
These racists and religious bigots are hiding in every corner, especially in social media to attack everything under anonymity. They accused everyone as racists or anti their religion at the slightest excuse and putting themselves as the righteous ones. There are also many cases quoted in the main media of such reckless and wild attacks and the innocent victims that have no intention of discriminating anyone ended up feeling so guilty and having to apologize to these racists and religious bigots.
The govt must step in, take a stand on this, be the main arbiter of who and what are racist/ racism and anti religion. The racists and religious bigots must not be allowed to rule the day and dictate to the people what they think things should. These racists and religious bigots must be taken to task for their wild and spurious attacks against the innocent.
Singapore is the most free from racism and religious discrimination country and must not allow the racists and religious bigots to blow their trumpets as and when they like, like Singapore is a highly charged racist country and intolerable to different religions. No one in Singapore has been attacked and spitted at because of the colour of their skin or their religion.
This menace must not be allowed to spread. The govt has the responsibility to nip this in the bud, starting with exposing and naming the racists and religious bigots hiding under anonymity in the internet and attacking the innocent. If this is not stopped, anyone dying his hair blond could also be accused or racism because he is insulting others for not having blond hair, like discriminating against black or brown hair. The stupidity of racists and religious bigots is beyond your imagination.
Stop racism and religious bigots before they think they could set the agenda for the rest of the people. This scourge is rising and must be stopped immediately. The racists and religious bigots are attacking everyone when they are the real racists and bigots.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Causeway politics – a strategic choke point
The Causeway is like the aorta in our blood circulatory system. A block or choking the Causeway/aorta could immobilized the heart and leading to death. Keeping this Causeway open is critical to both countries. But at some point in time, there are factors that would favour one side and gave the idea that keeping it close, choking it, would be a good thing to do. At this point in time, many of the good things are on the side of Singapore, economics, security, social etc, would favour Singapore even if traffic flow at the Causeway is not optimum, or slow. It seems that choking the Causeway is more favourable to Singapore than Malaysia at this point in time.
The Malaysians want to raise Causeway toll fees, why should Singapore allow the Malaysians to profit from higher toll fees and not Singapore. They jump, we jump, they raise, we raise. This seems to be the mantra of the day.
A decade or two forward, when the Iskandar Economic Zone took off with massive Chinese investment and infrastructural development, when Tanjong Pelepas and Pasir Gudang became more efficient, just to service the factories and their goods in Johore, when KL becomes the land transportation hub for rail and roads to China and Europe, when the Isthmus of Kra is cut and ULCC by passed Tuas Port, what would be the effect of choking the Causeway?
What would happen when the faster, cheaper and more efficient HSR takes over as the preferred mode of transportation to Europe and China, replacing the ships and the sea routes? What would happen when goods from Singapore got held up at the Causeway and unable to catch the land road to Europe and China? When the Iskandar becomes a boom town, like Shenzhen to Hongkong, the poultry and farm produce from Malaysia may not find it necessary to travel further south than the IEZ?
When economic activities shifted to Malaysia, like the factories of Europe and America shifted to China, the Causeway could become a lifeline for Singapore to access Malaysia and the land road up north. Choking the Causeway could cause a heart failure and total and permanent disability for the whole body system. Keep the Causeway free flowing then could mean a life and death situation to the Singapore economy. It be would Malaysia's turn to want to choke the Causeway to its advantage.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 in doubt, Singapore ungrateful
This is as much as one could make out from the comments of Bernie Ecclestone. Singapore is not thinking of continuing to fund the F1 race here the F1 boss is unhappy, claiming that Singapore was just an airport before F1 and F1 has put Singapore into the world map of a ‘happening city’. To quote him, ‘Singapore was suddenly more than just an airport to fly to or from somewhere. Now they believe they have reached their goal and they do not want a Grand Prix anymore.’
Are these the words of an unhappy man? A James Walton from Deloitte Singapore has this to say, ‘To turn around and suggest Singapore is ungrateful, that’s a no negotiation tactic, that’s a jilted person. To me this tactic is burning bridges.’
Ecclestone admitted that Singapore has spent a lot of money on the F1 and benefitted from it. But Singapore has had enough of F1 and not willing to throw hardearned public money on such luxury. How many countries in the world have so much easy money to throw, to waste, for a bit of publicity, for image? Obviously there are not many silly countries willing to throw away so much money and the F1 boss is worried. This proves another point that I had earlier put forward, who needs who more? If it is F1 that needs Singapore more, then it is F1 that is getting the better return than Singapore and should be paying for the right to host in this ‘airport’ city that no one knows.
I hope Singapore organizers wise up and charge F1 for the right to hold such an event here, in this ‘airport’ city that turned out to be the crown jewel of F1 tour instead of paying what they demanded. It is time F1 knows the value of this ‘airport’ city and pay to get the privilege to run their toys on our roads and enjoy the quality of our hospitality and strategic environment and the security and convenience of this handsome city.
What do you think? Should Singapore continue to throw away hundreds of millions of taxpayers’ money on such an intangible and wasteful indulgence or should Singapore demand to be paid for the right of F1 to hold its races here?
The above was written yesterday. Today Ecclestone has moderated his tone by saying, ‘F1’s stand is to hopefully continue in Singapore. Everybody is happy to be in Singapore and (we) don’t want to lose Singapore.’ Malaysia has also announced that it is not going to waste more money on F1. So, should our boys grow up and say we don’t need to play with expensive toys anymore and no need to throw away hundreds of millions of taxpayers’ money to make F1 organisers happy and very rich? If it is their grandfathers’ money then by all means, spend all they want, but when it is OPM, better be more careful and prudent.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ungrateful India booted George Yeo out of Nalanda University

George Yeo was appointed the Chancellor of the Nalanda University in July 2015, taking over from Amartya Sen. The two men were like the twin father of Nalanda. Amartya Sen was appointed the first Chancellor and George Yeo succeeded him after Amartya's disagreement with the Indian govt. On 25 Nov 2016, George wrote in his facebook that he had resigned from his Chancellorship citing lack of autonomy. The Indian govt actually set up a new board of directors, appointed their new men to take charge, all without breathing a word to George. In other words George was non existent, irrelevant. It was better for George to resign or wait for the boot.

How could Modi done such an unspeakable act behind George? Did he know how much George contributed to the success of the University, helping to raise millions from Singapore and Singaporeans to build the University. George was the key driver of the start up and had sang praises of how great this University would be and could be for the good of Indian and Asian civilisations.

And Modi better remember George's other great contribution to India when he signed the CECA to allow hundreds of thousands of Indian professionals to work in Singapore. Many of them displaced mismatched Singaporeans PMEs from their well paying jobs and ended up as security guards and taxi drivers.

George's contribution to India is anytime far greater many Indian leaders with the CECA agreements. Now they treated him like non existent. Poor George, having done so much to help India and Indians, giving many a very good life here, good jobs and good money, now treated this way.

Modi, please be grateful to George Yeo for his great contributions to India. Don't forget that. George the nice gentlemen would just take this rub in his stride. Given some lesser beans, they would tell Hsien Loong to terminate the CECA immediately. How can Modi do this to India's benefactor? Should not he be giving India's highest award to George for creating hundreds of thousands of good jobs for Indians?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘PM’s gaffe is a case of bad diplomacy’
The above is the title of an article posted by a ‘Apologise’ in TRE. I quote a paragraph from the article on the PM’s gaffe and Apologise’s position on the PM’s position as not reflective of the general population.
‘Regardless of our individual positions on the South China Sea dispute, we feel that our PM’s gaffe is a case of bad diplomacy because China did nothing to Singapore to warrant such a response. We categorically state that his remarks does not represent all Singaporeans. We feel that by making those remarks, he is acting against our interest and his actions puts in jeopardy our warm and stable relationship with China that former Prime Ministers, including the father of our current PM, the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew helped cultivate over the years. Its understandable for China’s leaders to feel annoyed. We would like PM Lee to apologise to China and help restore our peaceful relationship, while supporting Singapore’s call for the speedy and safe return of our property.’
There are strong sentiments in the social media that were not favourable to what Hsien Loong had been saying on the SCS and relations with China. I once mentioned about the dichotomy in views and perceptions between Channel 5 and Channel 8 Singaporeans. The two groups are as far apart and divided in their views, aspiration, taste and likes and dislikes that no one should simply take them for granted as a homogenous group. When reading the English media, there is this audacity among the Channel 5 that they represent the Channel 8 people and can speak on behalf of them. The truth is far from it. Channel 5 people must not think that they represent the Channel 8 people and that their views are the dominant views. In reality, at this point in time, the Channel 8 people are the majority in absolute numbers.
Hsien Loong, though coming from Catholic High background, is more a Channel 5 than a Channel 8 type. His world views and cultural biases are thus more western than eastern and his preferences and affections are quite obvious. His latest comment that there is no ‘middle kingdom’ came as a surprise as he jolly well knows what that word mean in Chinese even if he is more Channel 5. China written in Chinese is zhong guo or 中国。Yes, 中国 means exactly what it is, Middle Kingdom. What he said about being no middle kingdom can be interpreted differently by the Channel 8 people and some may not take it lightly.
Perhaps Vivian can explain that Hsien Loong spoke in his private capacity as an ordinary citizen and not as a PM. That may appease some of the Channel 8 people if they did not know what it means by saying there is no middle kingdom.
Is this a gaffe? Whatever, there is no need to demand an apology, especially from our PM. No need to be so childish, everything also demand an apology. It would be quite embarrassing if our PM actually said sorry and China came back saying sorry must also explain.
The situation is bad enough, it is water under the bridge. Let's move on. It is easy for me to say it but would be good if China is to say it, let's move on.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thio Shen Yi - A rare breed

In a rare public display of criticism, outgoing Law Society President Thio Shen Yi said that his clash with Law Minister K Shanmugam over a case where police intimidation led to a suicide of a 14-year-old boy, was a badge of honour....

“If Benjamin had a lawyer present to give advice during the course of the (police) interview, would things have turned out differently? We will never have certainty, but it is not impossible to imagine a different outcome, and if that is possible, then one more question: How then should we act?”

Law Minister K Shanmugam was enraged by the Law Society President’s comments and threatened that his comments may amount to Contempt of Court:

“His statements imply that Benjamin killed himself because of police intimidation. Where the police are wrong, we must and will take action. But we should not allow deliberate, dishonest attacks.”

The Law Minister also slammed online news site TheOnline Citizen for fabricating “deliberate falsehoods to tar the police”.

The government’s state coroner absolved the Singapore Police of all responsibilities over the boy’s suicide and even praised the police and school’s measures taken “commendable”....'

The above was posted in the statestimesreview. Now that the case is closed, would a discussion on the above statement be a contempt of court? How many of you agree with Thio Shen Yi's comment that if Benjamin had a lawyer, the outcome would be different? How many of you think his statement amounted to contempt of court?

My view is standard. I always agree with the govt, especially the Law Minister. When he said contempt of court, be very mindful that he is right. But is does not mean that I agree with the govt or the law minister.

Anyway, I like this man, Thio Shen Yi. You don't find such individuals in the little Red Dot any more, or rarely. I have written a post titled, 'The silence of the intelligentsia' and had posted it earlier. That might explain why I like Thio Shen Yi. I hope saying I like this man does not amount to contempt of court or any funny or contorted or distorted interpretations. Such individuals are admirable in a city devoid of free thinking intelligentsia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: