Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Job Loss Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Singaporeans - Another sad tale to cry about
Below are some thoughts of a Singaporean driven to despair by a thoughtless nation that don’t believe in looking after its own citizens. Why would they, would they know the pathetic tales of Singaporeans being ousted by heartless policies, regardless of nationality in employment? Why would they have time for daft Singaporeans when they are all busily counting their millions? It makes one wonders what the fuck is a country and nation all about when citizens are sacrificed in favour of foreigners.
Those people in MOM must think responsibly, that every employment pass they issued there is one sad Singaporeans begging to be employed. Maybe the MOM is run by foreigners or new citizens who believed that foreigners deserved the jobs as they are better, regardless of nationality? How can a country, a nation, degenerate to such a state when citizens no longer matters and foreigners come first? At least half a million foreigners having better jobs not the they were better but through the stupidity of fools in charge.
And after spending a small fortune to get a university degree, hoping to give the parents a better life as a filial chlld, one ends up earning $9 a day as a temp staff, with a degree to boot.
Ask who you voted for and why you voted for them and what are they doing for you or against you. Read on. This article is in Gilbert’s www.transitioning .org blog.
Thoughts of a fresh graduate who earns $9/hour at a childcare centre
Dear Counselor,
Please pardon me for my incoherent thoughts. I have just recovered from a bout of crying. I have been sleeping late and waking up late the past few weeks. If I remain unemployed… Who knows? I don’t dare to imagine my ending. To cut a long story short, I hate myself for being so STUPID. I have always been the type highly likely to end up unemployable. Now, thanks to my own stupidity, I have made myself unemployable.
I have sent out so many cover letters (customized) plus CV to various companies and job agencies so far. No news!
Thought #1: Why should I work? I want to live a meaningful life by contributing whatever God-given skills/talents/abilities that I possess to society. I want to 孝顺 my parents. I must accumulate $$$$$ in my CPF account, otherwise I will be penniless when I am old and ill. Even if I get rid of all my expenses, I still have to pay insurance premiums. Now then I realize that earning $9/hr beats earning nothing.
Thought #2:After my A Levels, the only temp job that I managed to secure was fast food crew member. I performed so badly that I received lots of screaming/scolding and not even one single compliment. I quit after three weeks and spent the rest of my post-A Levels break volunteering every Saturday at BLAHBLAHBLAH. I love BLAHBLAHBLAH so much that I told myself that I won’t quit it unless it asks me to leave. (Yup, I’m still volunteering at BLAHBLAHBLAH.) You might be wondering why I haven’t asked any of my fellow volunteers for job opportunities and so on. Reason #1: I doubt that they are able to help. We are acquaintances, not friends. Reason #2: Pride. They are highly likely to view me as stupid and incompetent if I tell them that I’m currently unemployed.
Thought #3: During my 1st uni break, I secured a temp job through 100% luck, although my preferred explanation is that God had answered my prayers. My dad’s colleague quit her job so my dad brought me into the company as a temp while the company was busy searching for a permanent replacement. However, soon after I left, the boss revised company policy—no more 裙带关系. By the way, this company is now struggling to survive. My dad’s own rice bowl is at risk, therefore I ought to work!
Thought #4: Oh, please don’t ask me which uni I graduated from. I don’t feel like blaming my joblessness on it. Let me give you a clue… In 2011 (the year I entered uni), a girl committed suicide allegedly because she was sad that the only uni acceptance letter that she received was from this particular uni. I feel sad whenever people say that my uni teaches useless stuff. Sometimes my dad discusses work-related stuff with me. He says that my insights are good. I always tell him those good insights aren’t from me, I’m merely parroting what my uni modules have taught me.
Thought #5: During my 2nd uni break, I secured a temp job through a job agency and yet another temp job through “cold e-mailing”. I can only secure jobs through the abovementioned means because I have NO friends. I’m bullied/hated/ostracized from kindergarten till JC, no wonder I’m friendless. I 独来独往-ed in uni. (To be fair, I do have seniors/peers/juniors who were nice towards me and teachers who doted on me. My JC classmates who hated me throughout JC 1 softened their stance towards me in JC 2 without rhyme or reason and started treating me very nicely. However, I’m so traumatized by my experiences that I deleted all teachers’ and schoolmates’ contact numbers. I almost committed bullycide in primary sch and later in JC.) I have lost count of sources stating that most jobs (at least 80%) are secured through friends. I have no friends, how to secure anything good?!
Thought #6: I slacked throughout uni while slipping in and out of depression. I recovered from depression in my 3rd year, but I still slacked. Stupid me.
Thought #7: I have lots of horror stories involving counselors. However, several years ago, a call that I made to SAMH hotline restored my faith in counseling. I forgot everything that the SAMH hotline counselor told me, I only remembered that she saved me from losing my sanity completely.
Thought #8: When I was studying in uni, I was very sure that I would pursue WSQ PDECCE (Childcare) upon graduation. Stupid me. I can’t sing or dance or play sports, how to educate children in these aspects? Oh, when I applied through ABC Institute, somehow I managed to receive SMSes about job interviews but not e-mails containing the details. I found out from its staff that my e-mail address always bounces its e-mails back. Hmm, maybe God is stopping me from becoming a childcare teacher. Anyway, I was already working at XXX when this Institute contacted me. When I was temping (illegally) as a childcare assistant at one particular childcare center after “cold e-mailing” various childcare centers in my neighborhood, the most senior teacher there (plus every member of her clique) hated me to the core. The childcare center fired me for losing my temper at some of the children. You see lah, I don’t even have the aptitude to become a childcare teacher lah, so stupid.
Thought #9: I fantasize about working as an Admin Executive But I lack relevant experience, so I ought to secure an Admin Assistant position first before working my way up, right? Why no news? I suspect that one reason is that when employers see my degree, they wonder why this particular person is applying for a position that she is over-qualified for—she must be blindly spamming CVs. (I happily accepted my $9/hr six-months temp job at XXX after uni graduation because I wrongly assumed that I will be converted to perm one day and then I can start working my way up.)
Thought #10: My responsibilities at XXX were so niche that I doubt that my job there involves any transferable skill.
Thought #11: I’m very stupid. I made many mistakes at every single job that I have ever held. Let us take XXX as an example. On the surface, I exceeded targets for Quality, Productivity and Attendance every month. I was 100% punctual, lol. In reality, I was a slow learner (my OJT spanned three weeks whereas my predecessors’ OJT spanned two weeks at most) and careless. I’m so slow that the only way for me to finish my tasks within SLA (service level agreement) is to stay behind and work for free. My colleagues (especially my IC) urged me to seek clarification whenever possible to avoid more mistakes. I took their advice. My dad told me that my IC was probably secretly annoyed with me because I sought clarification from her so frequently. OMG, I want to be employed, but it seems that I’m doing society a greater favor by remaining unemployed. Why my weaknesses outnumber my strengths? For example, my handwriting sucks. It is babyish when I write slowly and illegible when I speed up.
Thought #12: I started job-hunting after my final uni exams. Two weeks later, I secured my XXX job through a job agency. ABC Institute was dreadfully slow in contacting me (as previously mentioned in Thought #8.) Several days after I accepted XXX’s offer, I declined a $1.6k offer from a 三人 (two men and one woman) company that interviewed me before XXX did. Its location was very far-flung. I was supposed to replace the woman. Once the woman has finished serving her notice period, I will be left alone with the two men. Quite dangerous. (Wow, I digressed.)
Thought #13: Even though I’m UNDER-EMPLOYED, I appreciated everything that XXX offered except the low pay. As far as I know, I think that I managed to get along with everybody in my dept. (What an achievement! I think that I even managed to get along with my fellow trainees who were subsequently deployed to various depts.) My parents urged (and my “shifu” who gave me OJT) hinted that I should job-hunt while serving my six-month contract at XXX, but I ignored them. I wrongly assumed that even if XXX doesn’t want to convert me to perm, at least it will renew my contract as a temp.
Thought #14.1: Due to automation, my dept’s workload was reduced by 66.6%. When my contract expired, I told my boss that I was interested in staying on. According to her, her boss instructed that I will continue working in my dept (and receive my $9/hr pay from the job agency) while waiting for my temp contract to be renewed three weeks from the original contract’s expiry date. I verbally accepted XXX’s decision to transfer me to some other dept (the dept having the highest turnover) once the new contract is signed.
Depressed
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sell out of pathetic Singaporeans continues unabated
Another sickening letter appeared in the Today paper today. Forum writer Chua Kim Choo wrote about the plight of her daughter’s search for employment. She got a masters degree to boot. Her child sent close to 1000 letters before lending herself an entry level position. After a year she moved on to a regional job in another company of 30 staff only to be replaced by the 24th foreigner the company employed.
Since last year she has been trying to get re employed but in vain. The point here is that this is a qualified Singaporean, young and not expensive, just like the 500,000 foreigners here who don’t have to write 1000 letters to get a job. Probably someone would give them the rope or a helping hand to get a better job than this Singaporean and happily enjoying working here, and some even have the luxury of venting their frustration when they did not get their way to fuck this country and people.
The forum writer said that employers are demanding that young PMETs have enough experience for the job. She did not know that this is a standard lame excuse to reject Singaporeans like her child from employment. If experience is what the employers are looking for, our senior PMETs would not be driving taxis or be retrained to be semi skilled workers.
The sell out of our children continues unabated with the influx of foreigners continuing to replace our children. With half a million of these foreigners here and with more to come, there is no place for our children. Don’t be stupid when you go to the ballot box the next time. Vote for a govt that put Singaporeans first instead of their stepchildren from other countries.
I have one suggestion for the forum writer. I worked in MBFC and everyday I see many young professionals looking just as raw as her child, happily employed by the banks and financial institutions here. Looking at them you know that the experience they had would be no more than 10 years. If these foreigners can be employed in herds in MBFC, there must be something very wrong and very sick in this country that our young cannot be employed in MBFC.
If nothing is done to put a stop to hiring all these little boys and girls from other countries, these little boys and girls are going to get all the training and experience they need to become the CEOs of the banks and financial institutions in MBFC, not Singaporeans. These young foreign boys and girls are going to get the best training that this country can give to become the future top bankers of this country. They don’t need the training and retraining put up by NTUC and other local training organizations to become waiters and salesperson or semi skilled workers or taxi drivers and security guards.
What would Singapore be going forward? What would happen to our young PMETs going forward? Is this what we want for our children, unable to find decent jobs in our own country that provides half a million good and decent jobs, even top jobs to foreigners that have dubious backgrounds and even fake degrees?
Singaporeans must wake up and take back this country for their children’s sake. Don’t sell out the future of your children or allow anyone to sell out the future of your children. Thinks of what you can do to help your children and the young of our fellow citizens. Remember, this is your country, not the country of foreigners. This country must be for Singaporeans not for foreigners.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Tay – the only voice to the PMET’s plight
Is there really a problem that Singaporean PMETs are running out of jobs and hitting the wall? It is no joke in this most expensive city in the world to be unemployed and at a critical age when the financial burden of bringing up children and housing loan are at their peaks. And after this stage, the twilight years are not going to be a bed or roses when the children could not get a good job even with a degree and savings for old age are not enough.
How many of the elected leaders are listening and seeing the problems faced by the PMETs who voted them to power and would want to look after their interests? Don’t seem to hear much from the political leaders about this, maybe they have more important things to do than to worry about the PMETs becoming unemployed or under employed.
For those who took notice, the recommendations are hardly of any help and often very demeaning and undignified. The funny training courses that the PMETs have to put up with are quite insulting and a big waste of the talent and experienced that the PMETs have acquired for a whole life. The rubbish brought into the country to replace the PMETs are anything but rubbish and glossed over as valuable talents.
The lone voice calling for something to be done for the Singaporean PMETs came from Patrick Tay, supposedly responsible for workers welfare, not PMETs, but understood how serious the problem has become. Many of these PMETs have another 20 or 30 years to get by.
So what’s up Patrick? Short of ideas other then training and retraining? One simple suggestion, go to Parliament and tell them to stop the ministries and stats boards from employing foreigners for the interim years and get them to hire the PMETs. And foreigners mean PRs as well. Get the problem of unemployed Singaporeans solved first, and this include young graduates, before relaxing to hire foreigners. Is this so difficult to do?
Another thing, get the MOM to freeze issuing EP and SP passes until things get better for the PMETs and young local graduates.
Is the welfare and interest of Singaporeans going jobless not important enough for the govt to have a new policy to hire Singaporeans first? And watch out on those GLCs that are still hiring foreigners, especially those that hired foreigners to run their HRs.
Patrick should go to Parliament and shout like auntie Bee Wah. What is so difficult? Singapore must be for Singaporeans. Singaporeans must come first. Hire Singaporeans first. MOM, please stop issuing those EP and SP passes so freely like Santa Claus to foreigners.
Who is in charge of MOM?
The best scheme so far that could offer the PMETs a more respectable option after being replaced is the trading courses proposed by IE Singapore this morning. But all the measures are not addressing why PMETs are being discriminated and replaced by foreigners and companies continue to do so with easy access to EPs and SPs issued by MOM. Who is the cock that allows this sad state of affair to continue unabated?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do with the taxi drivers?
Singapore is testing the use of driverless taxis this year when a fleet will be launched to ply the streets. If successful, more will be put on the road and they could be a hit among the commuters. Socially and security wise driverless taxis would be the preferred choice than walking into a taxi driven by a stranger. And if unlucky, bad things could happen, not talking about some rude and nasty ones.
If this driverless taxi project is a success, where would all the taxi drivers going to find another job? This is a new competition and eventually driverless taxis will be replacing those driven ones. The change could mean several thousand of taxi drivers going out of job, or at least a majority would be out of jobs, leaving only a few diehards to serve those that could not use mobile apps.
Are we looking at a game changer, a new lifestyle to getting use to? Whither the last bastion of jobs for Singaporeans? Hurry, think of more training courses for the taxi drivers that would be looking for new jobs, or to retire for good. Upgrading courses should be aplenty as taxi driving is not that much high skill compares to PME’s jobs. It is not easy to design skill upgrading courses for experienced and highly trained PMEs and to convince them that after upgrading their skills they can look forward to a low paying job that may not pay enough for their day to day living. For taxi drivers, any job would be a skill upgrade and could be paying more.
With driverless taxis, the taxi driving vocation could join the dinosaurs or the dodo birds.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$150k pay check – Should feel sorry for him or not?
Cynical Investor wrote a piece appearing in the TRE quoting Gilbert’s post of an unemployed Singapore talent. Here is the quote:
‘Someone wrote to Gilbert Goh saying that he lost his 150k a year job to a FT prepared to accept 40% less. Losing my job was brutal for me financially since I am paying for 2 properties and a car.
I also have a S$100K unsecured loan debt which I took on to pay the deposit for my second home. My wife isn’t working and I have school going children. The first thing I did was to adjust my salary expectations up to 50%. Within 1 week I have applied to almost 500 jobs but none of them successful or called for an interview’.
Cynical Investor was asking whether we should feel sorry for him. Many in TRE were asking who did he vote for in the GE. Who do you think such successful, highly paid Singaporeans would vote for? Given their high income, good jobs, good pays, landed properties, cars, my guess is that they must be very comfortable with the system and would not want to have any change. To them the govt have done a marvelous job and giving them a Swiss standard lf living.
No need to ask or guess who they voted in the last GE. And many would continue to vote the same way until they hit a hard wall like this guy and came crawling to Gilbert to vent their frustration and desperation. But what can Gilbert do other than to lend them a listening year?
The few places they could hope to be helped in the job banks started by MOM or to go to NTUC for more skills upgrading so that they can become a waiter or something like that and be very grateful for being helped.
I bet many of these high earners would sneer and shrug it off as one bad luck case as they go about getting their fat pay, until they ended up in the same shit. Life is too good for the high earners that they would not think that this kind of things could happen to them. Not to worry, it would be someone else, never ‘Me’.
How many PMETs must be grounded, driven to despair before the walking dead wake up and say no more? How, big earners, would you be next to write to Gilbert? For everyone that went crying to Gilbert there could be 10 that resigned to their fate, remaining jobless or underemployed. There would also be another 10 or 20 going to attend skills upgrading courses conducted by NTUC so that they could get a new job paying 10 or 20% of what they used to get.
Mind you, this is the career path for many high earning Singaporeans. It is only a matter of when will be their turn. 不见棺材不流泪
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uniquely Singapore – or another fiasco?
There are more than 2m foreigners in the island of 3.5m population. Several hundred thousands of these foreigners from half past six countries and half past six universities are gainfully employed, happily employed, replacing the supposedly better qualified Singaporeans in their jobs. And the Singaporeans, the experienced and well qualified, the young graduates, are crying for jobs. They are unemployable, underemployed, they are mismatched!
And all we heard of is that it is all because of mismatch. And these jobless
Singaporeans are told to go overseas to find their rainbows. Not in Singapore. They are mismatched, they are misfits in their own countries. Their hundreds of thousands dollar education and degrees are useless, cannot eat, cannot find a job. They are only good enough to compete overseas, forget about in the US and Europe if they can’t even find a job in home town, unable to compete with half past six degree foreigners. They should go to third world countries to sell their skills and earn cheap currencies. And don’t think of coming back, don’t think of earning and saving enough to be able to survive back home. The cheap currencies they earned will become cheaper when brought home to spend in the world’s most expensive city. They are failures in Singapore and how could they expect the third world countries to hire them and pay them well? Even if they wanted to, they could not afford to.
Singapore is not for Singaporeans. Singaporeans are only good enough to work in third world countries. And the govt knows that and are helping them with a lot of courses and training programmes to equip them to survive in third world countries. Probably they will teach them how to lower their expectations, how to live life in a third world countries, how to get use to third world standard of living, how to tighten their belts.
Singapore is good only for foreigners, especially those from third world countries. These are the highly skilled and trained talents Singapore needs, with half past six degrees. Though they came from half past six universities, they have no mismatch problems. They matched beautifully with the needs of this first world city. The proof, a few hundred thousands of them are already here, employed in jobs that mismatched Singaporeans cannot do.
Did anyone say Uniquely Singapore? With so many silly mismatched PMETs, what more proof is needed to confirm that Singaporeans are daft? The daft Singaporeans don’t even know why they are unemployable, why they became mismatched, misfits. The only thing they know, is that they are told that this is the reason. And everyone accepts this silly reason with no further question asked. Several hundred thousands of half past six foreigners are fit, not mismatched and taking over the jobs of the misfit Singaporeans. To laugh or to cry?
And we are boasting about having three of the world’s best universities run by foreigners, the bulk of the academic staff and administrative staff is foreigners. I am waiting for the Parliament to be taken over by foreigners and pronouncing that Singaporeans are misfits to be in Parliament and should go elsewhere to live. This is only a matter of time.
Where is the real mismatch?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald Trump is a mismatch
How could Donald Trump be the President of the USA, the most powerful office in the world when he does not have the training, qualifications and experience to be one? I am saying this by using Singapore’s perspective of what is right or good, of what would make a person qualified for a job. This may be the reason why the US is failing, with poorly trained presidents elected one after another while Singapore is a glowing example of a successful state. The trick, our PMs are well trained. Chok Tong was trained by LKY for at least 10 years. Hsien was trained by LKY and Chok Tong for more than 10 years. Obama, Bush and now Trump have had zero training to be the President.
Trump may be over qualified if we apply the Singapore’s EP criteria on him. He is rich, super rich, definitely has experience running a more than S$500m company. But if we apply the job market criteria on him like we applied the same criteria on our jobless PMETs, Trump just did not have the experience or right fit to do the job. A mismatch, no training and experience to do the job of a president.
Oops, our EP criteria assumed that one that has run a S$500m company is good enough to run a little island like Singapore. If the criteria are extrapolated to a huge country like the US, maybe it would demand a US$5b company. But of course Trump would still qualify. Let me clarify a bit of confusion here.
There is a difference in looking at the criteria and qualifications for a candidate’s suitability for a job in the market and that for the office of the Presidency. The criteria for the EP may be stringent, but its main factor is about managing money. The criteria for a job could be more complicated though not about money. That is the reason why so many of our PMETs are mismatched in the job market. Trump too may be a mismatch in the job market if he applies for jobs that are lower than his current job as CEO or Chairman of his business empire. He would definitely be a mismatch for a smaller managerial job and would need retraining to fit him into the job. Definitely needs training if he wants to be a taxi driver or security guard.
What about job training to fit a person into a job? Many fresh graduates would not fit into any jobs offered as they don’t have any working experience to fall back on. All will be mismatched as the universities did not train them for any specific jobs unless they took professional courses. The organization must be prepared to train them on the job, and that was what they were doing before, like the civil services and also the private companies. The more I try to reason this mismatch thing, the more confused I become. Come to think of it, many people are mismatched in their jobs but are doing quite well. Some exceedingly well and earning millions in their jobs, even becoming CEOs and Chairmans.
Maybe this mismatched Trump would do a good job or a better job than Obama.
What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unemployed Singaporeans – Mismatch, no skill, no experience?
The problems of Singaporeans losing their jobs and unable to find reemployment is reaching a critical point. The senior PMEs have long given up hope, resigned to their fate that the govt is not going to do much for them except telling them to go for retraining to take on low paying jobs.
What is frightening and unacceptable is to find out that under 30s are also unable find gainful employment, fresh from polytechnics and universities. In many countries there will be riots on the streets and the govt will be brought down. Here we have the govt trying to explain away the problems. The reasons cited by the MOM for the unemployment of Singaporeans, ‘the belief that there is no suitable work available, employers’ discrimination or the lack of necessary qualification, training or experience’.
As a result 1,200 young and discouraged workers, under 30, were reported, up from 700 last year. This is only known statistics. How many more not accounted, not reported. And the total number of discouraged workers is 9,900, up from 8,700 last year. As if a consolation or an achievement, it was down from the high of 11,300 in 2009. What a relief.
If the reasons quoted by MOM are the real reasons, how come there are more than 500,000 foreigners here gainfully employed? They did not believe there is no suitable work available, the employers discriminated in their favour, they have all the necessary qualification, training and experience that graduates from our top polytechnics and universities did not have? Who is kidding? Or our polytechnics and universities are so hopeless, useless, cannot produce graduates with the right qualification, training and experience that third world rubbish bin universities and polytechnics and schools could do better?
Please, what is the real reason for such a big number of discouraged workers that are unemployed, not counting probably much more that were not in the statistics? If there are so many Singaporeans that cannot find employment or proper employment, why is the MOM still issuing so many thousands of WP, EP and SP to the foreigners and they are still arriving in huge numbers daily?
Is the lax issuing of WP, EP and SP the real reason for Singaporeans being unemployed or under employed? Has CECA got anything to do with the plight of these discouraged Singaporeans and those that have given up all hopes?
This is what Gan Kim Yong said at the Teochew food and cultural Fair,
‘Speaking at the event in Mandarin, Minister Gan Kim Yong said that Singaporeans should understand their culture and stand united during difficult times. Below is a translation from States Times Review:

“The understanding of a common culture can unite Singaporeans during difficult times. Every Singaporean should promote the kaki lang (Teochew for my family) spirit to be united and overcome difficulties.”’

The first thing that came to my mind was the follow up phrase. But I need not have to waste time trying to figure it out. A James Bong replied,
‘Kaki nang, ka chern sair tang, pa see bor siang kang!’

Is this what is happening to the discouraged and unemployed Singaporeans? ‘Kaki nang, pa see bor siang kang!’ Though the millionaire ministers are having a good time in all seasons, the discouraged or unemployed or under employed Singaporeans are really having a bad time. Anyone think these are kaki nang and need to be helped, deserved to be employed instead of the 500,000 foreigners?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaner is another choice profession
Other than security guards, taxi drivers and hawkers, the next choice profession for Singaporeans looks like cleaners. There were several reports in the main media about steady increments and bonuses for this profession. A cleaner can look forward to $1,400 per month or $1,600 and with bonuses some more. So, for those professions that are getting less than $1,600, it is high time for them to switch profession and join the cleaning force.
The attractiveness of being cleaners is that entry level is low. There is no need to have a degree, no need to sit for courses and pass professional examinations, no need to take courses on anti money laundering, no need for character checks, no need to declare non indebtedness, and no need to attend annual upgrading or refresher courses. And there is no authority to watch over the cleaners like a hawk as if you are a crook, a cheat and can be called up to ‘lim kopi’ for minor mistakes.
If these are still not attractive enough, cleaners can wear face mask when working to conceal one’s identity for those that are too shy to apply. And for some organizations, cleaners used the fireman or delivery lifts for more privacy. Think about the annual increments and bonuses as a cleaner. Better than being self employed, with no increments, no bonuses, no medical benefits, no staff benefits, and no financial risks.
After posting these benefits I am getting convinced myself that being a cleaner is not a bad idea. When a cleaner finishes his cleaning duties, he can go home without a worry.
Singaporeans that are jobless, underemployed, wrote resumes and got no reply, need not worry anymore. They can just apply to be cleaners, the next choice professions for Singaporeans that are displaced by foreigners, or the so called young and discouraged Singaporeans that no one wants to employ.
There are choices, and being a cleaner would soon be a lifestyle choice. Ph Ds, Masters degrees from world best universities that cannot compete with backlane degrees, this is a new employment opportunity. Don’t be choosy. You are lucky to be employed.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vicious cycle of the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed

Singapore has had 50 years of good fortune, with good leaders in the past planting the right trees to provide shade and bearing fruits for today's generation to benefit. The regional countries were not so fortunate and many of their people were unemployed or underemployed, ie unemployable for one reason or another. But they were lucky that they saw a rainbow with a pot of gold at the other end. And the rainbows all ended up in Singapore.

So all the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed took a flight to find their rainbow's ends and came to Singapore. The Singapore govt was and is very generous and employed all the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed of neighbouring and far off countries. Millions of jobs were given to these unemployable, underemployed and unemployed.

What the govt did not plan for is the creation of a Singaporean class of unemployable, underemployed and unemployed in the process. As time goes by, with the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed of other countries flooding here, the number of Singaporean unemployable, underemployed and unemployed increases proportionally. So the govt do the same thing, tell the Singaporean unemployable, underemployed and unemployed to go overseas to look for jobs like the foreign unemployable, underemployed and unemployed did by coming here. The solution looks so simple and neat. The unemployable, underemployed and unemployed can easily go overseas to find better employment and Singaporean unemployable, underemployed and unemployed should do the same and should not have any problem.

Unfortunately things are not that simple and straight forward. There are many obvious reasons, the govts of other countries are not so talented to know that foreign talents are good for them and their economies. They also did not have so many jobs to offer to the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed from Singapore, and they have many other good reasons not to do so.

So, while Singapore happily goes about hiring the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed of other countries, the Singaporean unemployable, underemployed and unemployed, though much more talented and well qualified and full of experience have no takers. The end result, Singapore ended up employing other countries' unemployable, underemployed and unemployed, but no one wants to employ Singapore's unemployable, underemployed and unemployed.

It was supposed to be a virtuous cycle, we take other countries' unemployable, underemployed and unemployed and other countries should be taking our unemployable, underemployed and unemployed. The realities did not turn out the way it was expected. If it does, it would just be a vicious cycle where we give better paying jobs, good jobs to the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed of other countries and do not mind them giving lower paying jobs to our unemployable, underemployed and unemployed. The end result is that it is a one way traffic. Singapore ended up providing all the good and high paying jobs to foreigners that were unemployable, underemployed and unemployed in their countries, but not to Singaporeans. The unemployable, underemployed and unemployed did not end up with anything but remain the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed Singaporeans..

A vicious cycle where Singapore exchanges its unemployable, underemployed and unemployed for the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed of other countries is already bad enough. Now it is worse, the other countries did not want our unemployable, underemployed and unemployed.

What a sick joke. And Singapore even prepares and trains its unemployable, underemployed and unemployed to accept lower paying jobs, lower level jobs, and cheap currencies and a less hospitable environment and lower quality of life style to work overseas, to replace the unemployable, underemployed and unemployed who came to Singapore to work in better paying jobs, strong currency and a better environment and better quality of life.

Whose silly formula is this? Or whose clever idea is this?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer Granholm – Ignorance is no blessing
The ex governor of Michigan, Jennifer Granholm, has told Trump to look at Singapore as a role model for creating jobs. As they said, ignorance is bliss but not when national policies affecting the livelihood of Americans are concerned. The recommendation by Jennifer to use Singapore as a role model is at best out of ignorance, a lot of superficialities, and at worst, shallowness.
The situation and conditions in Singapore are so far from what she thinks they are. She came to the conclusion by talking to a few ‘business roundtable of CEOs’ that recommended Singapore to her. I would agree if I were an American or foreign CEO looking for a job in Singapore. The point is that Singapore is so lack of top talents that anything that walks on two legs, and is foreign, is good to become CEOs in Singapore. And many foreigners are enjoying this fascination and attention in Singapore. The Pinkerton Syndrome is thriving today with renewed enthusiasm in the heads of boys and girls in charge. It is thus only natural that Singapore is a goldmine to these CEOs.
The realities in Singapore are very different. Other than the silly obsession with anything western or foreign, Singapore is creating good jobs for foreigners to the tune of more than half a million managerial, executive and professional positions but with its own people increasingly losing their jobs, especially the Singaporean PMETs to foreigners. The myth that foreigners are here to create jobs for Singaporeans is receiving all the cynical comments by the thousands of Singaporeans losing their jobs and ended up as taxi drivers.
Is this what the Americans want? Is this what Trump wants, bringing in more foreigners to replace Americans and making more Americans losing their jobs? Didn’t Jennifer know that Trump rose to the Presidency promising not to bring in more foreigners and to create jobs for Americans? Is she recommending to Trump to follow Singapore, to bring in more foreigners to take jobs from citizens?
A little knowledge is dangerous. This is a case of superficiality out of ignorance and talking to the wrong messengers. Trump would blow his top if this recommendation is put up to him, together with TPP is good for the Americans.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surbana Jurong – Termination, Dismissal or Retrenchment?
The terminating of 54 staff, I presume are Singaporeans, just one week before the Chinese New Year is very badly executed. Some are calling this act as callous, lack of compassion, inconsiderate, heartless and right down insensitive. The 54 staff, assuming many will be celebrating Chinese New Year, will not be celebrating and their families as well. What a cruel timing!
The social media is angry. Many are questioning if this is actually a retrenchment in disguise to avoid paying retrenchment benefits. The case is now being handled by the MOM.
From a HR perspective, the first question arising is the termination, a management right to terminate employees without reason, just like an employee’s right to resign without the need for any reason, or is this something else? The media reported that Surbana Jurong said the employees were terminated for poor performance. This immediately raises a red flag in HR practices.
Before an employee is terminated for bad performance, it is only fair that the employee would be put on notice that his performance is unsatisfactory. The management is duty bound to inform an employee that his performance is not acceptable and given a chance to explain and to improve. This is not only proper but also ethically and morally a right thing to do. Employers cannot sack an employee overnight, like springing a surprise, without letting the employee know that his performance is a problem and a sacking is on the card if he does not improve.
Has Surbana Jurong management done the due diligence and process to talk to the employees, counsel the employees, telling them of their shortfalls, how to improve to meet management’s expectation and to buck up? In all good HR practices, the employees must be given a chance to know what is coming, to know that they must improve and sacking is ultimately done if the employees still did not improve after counseling and warnings by the management.
Another point to clarify, what were the performance records of the sacked employees? Were they good, satisfactory or consistently bad? If the sacked employees had been consistently bad, then management would have a better case of sacking them, but still must go through the due process of trying to get the employees to improve prior to their sacking. Were the employees given any warning letters earlier?
I did not have full details of the employees’ performance and unable to comment on whether the sacking is properly conducted. One thing for sure, once the management confirmed that the employees were terminated due to performance, it is dismissal or termination due to bad performance. There is thus a requirement to go through the whole process of counseling and warning letters etc before the firing. This is not only good HR practice, it is also a requirement by MOM and ethical and humanly to do so.
As a govt linked company, Surbana Jurong and all GLCs have a responsibility to set a good example, to follow good HR practices for others to follow.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore doing all the wrong things
Singapore is still thinking it is doing all the right things and there will still be a prosperous Singapore to celebrate SG100. The writings on the wall are saying everything is failing but some jokers are claiming everything is number 1, we are the best. Has anyone really looked at the things we claim to be the best and know what they are, best in what, best in the wrong things?
Look at education, just a few days ago the ST gloated that Singapore is in the top four ranks for universities by Times Higher Education. Superficially it looked like a big achievement, like the headline 99% passed GCE with at least one pass. What is this fourth ranking about? It is about how many foreign academic staff and how many foreign students in the universities. These are things that can be bought by money. Just keep throwing tax payers money to these foreigners, the more we throw to them, the higher will be the ranking. We can even be number 1, just like throwing money to buy table tennis players and the silly dream of winning the World Cup by buying foreign talents.
And almost daily we have heard gloating about how good our education system is, how great our universities are, only to find that employers did not want their graduates and prefer graduates from third world countries, from dilapidated schools that have poorly qualified and poorly trained teachers that could not boast of having to paying thousands of dollars to get a place in kindergarten or the university.
And the sickest thing of all, everyday harping about training our retrenched workers, many with good degrees and experience and are displaced by third world half baked degrees or degrees from degree mills. The big question, why are these third world country products so super and no need further training, but the best workers from a first world country, spending more than 20 years in formal education to get a degree, supposedly the finest if not the most expensive, and all inept, misfit, mismatch and unworthy to be employed, and need more training, life time training? And third world products are perfect matches and no need any training? Heard of anyone demanding or recommending training for third world products?
Are we doing all the right things or doing all the wrong things but pretending that we are doing all the right things? Stop this silly shit about retraining and retraining when lousy half baked third world pariah education graduates, many not even graduates but fakes, could be happily employed here without the need for retraining.
Stupidity has no cure. Just listen and follow blindly.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What India done right

What India done right and Singapore failed miserably is the emphasis on IT. Singapore seems to have lost a generation of IT programmers/analysts/software specialists through its neglect in teaching these subjects in schools, polytechnics and the universities. Everyday I am reminded of the army of IT professionals in MBFC. My whole floor is flooded with these IT people from India, a testament that India has done right in foreseeing the future, planning and educating a whole generation of such specialists for the industry worldwide. How could we have missed this boat?

The dearth of IT specialists is seriously felt in the banking and finance industry and they have no choice but to go to India where they are armies of them waiting eagerly to be hired. If only Singapore's education has done it right, today all the IT specialists being hired to work in the banks would have been Singaporeans and not foreigners. Our university graduates would be gainfully employed and not be dumped into taking up part time jobs or unrelated contract jobs earning a pathetic pay not enough to live on.

This is what careful planning and doing the right thing is all about at govt level. They called it foresight, the ability to look into the future like the CFE is doing. This is also proof that the govt's proactive and crystal ball gazing ability is greatly lacking.

How I wish the number of IT specialists employed in MBFC are Singaporeans and not foreigners and our graduates need not waste their time and money to study irrelevant courses and ended with degrees that cannot be eaten.

Please learn from India and start to educate our graduates in useful and relevant courses and not courses that no employer wants. I feel so sorry for our graduates and their parents that foot the bills for their education whenever I see the happy faces of the foreigners here. These faces could be the happy faces of our young graduates.

Where is the clever thinking and planning for the future? Would the recent CPE end up 10 or 20 years in the future with more pathetic problems like what we are seeing today when a whole industry needing an army of IT specialists and has to import them, unable to find any local to fill the vacancies?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOM taking 50 firms to task
MOM has taken 50 firms to task for not giving fair opportunities to employing Singaporeans and another 250 firms put on the watchlist. Is this enough after letting in 500,000 foreigners, so called talents to take away jobs from Singaporeans and still happily employed while many Singaporeans PMETs are unemployed or underemployed or resigned to early retirement? This pathetic situation has been going on for the last 10 to 20 years!
Think of the pain and suffering thousands of Singaporeans have gone through. Think of how many families got into financial trouble or even broke up. Think of the emotional suffering of Singaporeans seeking jobs but got rejected and rejected or not even called up for an interview. Think of the number of dejected cases, depression cases, Singaporeans losing confidence in themselves, some even became IMH cases. Think of the disappointment of parents for raising their children and putting them through the expensive education system. Think of the disappointment of young Singaporeans after spending their parents’ life savings and unable to find a decent job, some were lucky to end up with part time job but not enough to feed themselves, how these young people felt, unable to repay the kindness and generosities of their parents, wanting to be filial but unable to, and feeling ashame and useless.
Are the MOM and the govt doing enough to help the Singaporeans suffering because of the 500,000 foreigners here and depriving Singaporeans from getting a job to feed themselves and to have some pride and dignity as an individual? Oh MOM is partnering foreign agencies to look for jobs for Singaporeans, where, overseas? If Singaporeans could not find jobs in Singapore, how are their chances to finding jobs overseas, to be what, cooks, gardeners? Seow!
What is wrong with this bloody system? Why are Singaporeans being forced out from their homes and country when there are 500,000 foreigners happily employed here? I look around Raffles Place and MBFC and at the young foreigners and cannot believe my eyes that what they are doing cannot be done by Singaporeans? There are easier solutions to helping Singaporeans to find a decent job than trying to send them overseas. Please stop doing nonsense and get the basics right. There is no need to teach million dollar ministers how to do their job unless they are unworthy of their million dollar salaries. It is time to be serious and do the necessary and the due diligence. If they still cannot think out of the mess, just think of immigration passes and quotas will do. It is not difficult and it is only a responsible thing for the govt to do. I have wasted so much breath talking about this issue while so many Singaporeans are suffering and some people are happily tweedling their thumbs counting their millions and acting innocent.
How much more must Singaporeans suffer from this fate due to govt policies to bring in more foreigners at their expense? Singaporeans mismatched, misfits, foreigners from little villages with funny degrees are better fit and better matched?
Stupidity has no cure. Forsaking the Singaporeans is a crime against Singaporeans.
If no serious and immediate action is taken, if the govt is not going to provide the opportunities for Singaporeans to be suitably employed, Singaporeans will end up without the relevant skills, without the experience to move up the corporate and skills ladder for higher appointments. Singaporeans would become skill less, less experiencede and unemployable with foreigners getting all the on the job training and experience to boot in their CVs.
A good example is the CEO positions. Why give them to foreigners to gain the experience and not to Singaporeans? Soon no Singaporeans would be good enough to be CEOs, even in GLCs.
This is tragedy in the making and Singaporeans would become the dodo birds of the 21st Century, in their own country. This is another kind of ‘Sook Ching’ in a way.
I read somewhere that Lim Swee Say was so emotional in Parliament when talking about the unemployment of Singaporean PMETs. Some were saying that he was shedding crocodile tears. I hope he really felt the pain and suffering of the unemployed or under employed Singaporeans and understood how ‘chek ark’ 折悪is such a policy of giving hundreds of thousands of jobs to foreigners but leaving Singaporeans in the lurch, in despair. I also hope that those MPs and ministers sitting in the Parliament also felt the same and would quickly start to do something to help Singaporeans instead of talking cock, to help the people that voted them into Parliament. They owe it to the voters not to foreigners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: