Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Cost of living Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The angst and pain of being Singaporeans that assholes cannot understand
Below is a post by a commenter called Tham in TRE. If you can’t feel the pain and the frustration of this Tham, and the many filial children that shared the hapless feelings of Tham’s son knowing the financial problems they caused to their parents, you are inhuman. Read on to share the plight of being average parents in this extremely expensive city and trying to make ends meet. I just have to share this post to let the world know what the average Singaporeans are going through. This is the norm.
Tham: Readers out here, do share my grief; do share my agony; do share my anger; do share my frustration, when :
My son was graduated in NUS in year 2012 and the graduation ceremony was held in middle of July 2012 whereby more than 700 fresh graduates were waiting for their turns to be given the University Degree Certificate on stage…!!!!
As parents, both myself and my wife attended the grand convocation together with my daughter on that very evening.
There were thousands of parents serving as audience attended to this event held on that very day’s graduation apart from the volume closed to a hundred of convocation ceremonies held before this said date and immediately thereafter.
From the mother tongue these huge pool of audience attended to this ceremony alone, more than 70% are from PRC…!!!!
As a matter of courtesy and carried with joy witnessing the graduation of our children is something great…!!! We did not hesitate chatting freely with all these PRC parents who were there as audience giving their cheers and support to their children…!!!!
What really frustrate, angered and antagonized us is that parents of these PRCs were saying :
1) Ooooh, this Singapore PAP Government is very kind and generous in giving out FREE EDUCATION, FREE TUITION FEE, FREE LODGING & FOOD AND EVEN MONTHLY POCKET MONEY FOR THEIR CHILDREN TO STUDY HERE WHICH THEY CAN HARDLY FIND IN THIS WORLD….!!!!
2) Even a BOND is required to be signed as a formality so that after their children are graduated and comes out to work, they will have this revenue source to repay back whatever Educational Loans so far extended to them BUT AT ANY TIME THEY CAN FLED BACK TO CHINA WHICH IS VAST ENOUGH FOR THEM TO TEMPORARILY HIDE THEMSELVES UP AND THEREAFTER GO TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO SEEK FOR A HIGH SALARIED JOB WITH GREAT PROSPECTS…!!!!
From here we need to ask ONE VERY BASIC SIMPLE QUESTION :
Why aren’t our own True Native Born Singaporeans being privileged with all these Benefits when they are eligible to enroll for a seat & their parents have been all along over the past contributed towards the building of this Nation…???
My son, a True Native Born Singaporean; served the two & a half years of Full Time National Service in the Army; his parents are both also True Native Born Singaporeans who have contributed for the past decades in serving this Nation and myself too served the Part-Time National Service for 12 years with 5 years in the Army and 7 years in the Police Force…!!!!
WHY ARE WE NOT PRIVILEGED WITH THIS BENEFITS FOR OUR OWN CHILDREN TO OBTAIN & RECEIVED THEIR TERTIARY EDUCATION FOR FREE WHEN OUR CHILDREN ARE ELIGIBLE TO ENROLL THEMSELVES FOR A SEAT IN THE UNIVERSITIES…????
As a filial piety son, he was reluctant to take out borrowings from my CPF money to pay for his University school fees and tuition fees in view of my health & age, among others…!!!!
My son worked full time during the day as a simple technician and with his lean income, he saved hard to ensure he can afford to pay for his semester fee and tuition fee when falls due during his course of study at NUS…!!!!
Far 5 years back when my daughter studied at NUS, she borrowed from my CPF to pay for her semester fees and tuition fees…!!!!
AND THERE WAS COMPULSORY NEED FOR HER TO SEEK FOR A GUARANTOR WHO MUST BE A WORKING SINGAPOREAN BEFORE SHE IS APPROVED TO TAKE UP THE BORROWINGS FROM MY CPF ACCOUNT…!!!!
We (our whole family) together with our relatives, friends and colleagues whom are acquainted with us do share this : UNFAIRNESS AND ABUSIVE POLICIES OF THE PAP GOVERNMENT OVER ON HOW THEY HAVE ILL TREATED ALL OUR TRUE NATIVE BORN SINGAPOREANS….!!!!
Least but not Last or Last but not the Least, rest PAP can be assured that from all those within our known circle who knew about our predicament will NEVER VOTE FOR THIS PAP FROM THEREON IN EACH GENERAL ELECTION…!!! Thank you very much…
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why George Gascon, photographer of LKY, going home?
It was reported that the Gascon, personal photographer of LKY from the ST, had returned to the Philippines to be a farmer despite LKY persuading him to stay on as a citizen. Why would a person reject the good offer from LKY to stay in this first world city?
Let’s do the number game and see why this guy preferred to go back and be a farmer, owning his own farm and probably a big land and house to his name. If he stayed, he would likely be retired by 60. Assuming both he and his wife were professionals, they would likely to own a 4 or 5 rm HDB flats and each would still have about $100k to $200k in their CPF accounts after 20 years here. On retirement, both would receive maybe $1000 each monthly to live forever and the flat fully paid. They would survive but no frills, no cars.
By choosing to return to the Philippines, they would cash out everything. The flat could fetch between $400k to $600k. And the CPF would have to return them maybe $300k in total. Their net cash would be roughly S$1m or 32.5 million pesos. A flat in the Philippines costs about 1/10 the price in Singapore. He could get a very big house in the rural area for $100k and maybe a big farm for another $100k. He could buy a decent car for $30k. And he would be left with $650k cash or est 20m pesos in his bank savings, not stuck in a CPF kind of savings that he cannot touch.
With the cost of living that is roughly 1/10 of Singapore’s, he would be a very rich man! And he could send his children to the best schools. And if they need a good job, send them to Singapore to go through the same cycle and to return to the Philippines later as rich men one more time.
Why would he want to retire in Singapore with no cash except those stuck in the CPF, untouchable except for the monthly stipends and waiting to pay a medical bill that he cannot afford to, no cars and only a HDB flat? He is now a very rich farmer and very comfortable with his savings.
Gascon is definitely no daft Sinkie.
PS. I am assuming that he had a flat to sell with big profits. Many Pinoys and those from neigbouring countries would be doing the same when they retired. Sell everything and go home very rich.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khaw Boon Wan - HDB Lease Buyback Scheme a success

‘Through the Lease Buyback Scheme (LBS), the elderly living in HDB flats can use the tail-end of their flat leases to fund their retirement plan, without leaving their flats. Since LBS was launched in 2009, we have taken on board public feedback and made several enhancements to the scheme.
The latest enhancements took effect on 1 April 2015. We extended LBS to 4-room flats, raised the income ceiling from $3,000 to $10,000, offered varying leases, and allowed households with two or more owners to get more upfront cash.
The enhancements were well received. Over two months, 450 households applied for LBS. If all are successful, this will be a 50% increase over the 965 households currently participating under LBS.’ – Boon Wan
I cannot fault the Govt for all the schemes they have crafted to help the people that needed help to survive in the world’s most expensive city of millionaires. Some may find it strange that the Govt would have to come up with all kinds of things to help the millionaires and half millionaires to get by, including selling the only piece of worthy asset they have. And this LBS is getting more successful by the day with more and more half millionaires hooking up to the scheme.
I am sure all the generous schemes to help the poor millionaires are also very successful. The queues for free abalone porridge or free chicken rice must also be very long and very successful. The queues for handouts must also be very long and a good thing to celebrate, another successful govt aid scheme. Last night the queue at MRT stations for a $50 top up was so successful that MRT stations were packed and some scenes were quite chaotic with the oldies frantically pushing to get their $50 in case they missed it.
From another angle, I look at these successful schemes as a failure in our society, where people are in desperate needs for help, all kinds of help that the Govt can offer. I would rather celebrate when all the Govt assistance schemes failed, made redundant, in the sense that the people did not need them, that the people are wealthy or comfortable enough to be on their own, without having to depend on Govt assistance schemes. The more Govt assistance schemes available, the more successful they are in terms of recipients and people hoping and needing assistance, the more it is a sign of a failed society.
Why would a city of millionaires and half millionaires be seeking Govt assistance schemes and willing to queue in public to tell the world that they need handouts, charity and assistance, that they are failures in life? In this sense, I hope to see that all the Govt assistance schemes are not well attended and not well received or even rejected by the people as the people are comfortable enough not to have to beg and queue for such schemes.
When all these schemes are successful, it is not something to crow about, to be proud of, not something to cheer about like winning gold in the SEA Games. It is a sign of failure to improve the well being of the people, to spread wealth and affluence to the people.
When the pawn shops are doing roaring business and more new pawn shops are sprouting up the HDB estates, it is bad, it is not something to claim credit for.
Am I crazy to say this?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Political manipulation of the unthinking mind
How to raise property prices? So simple, don’t build or don’t build enough. Then blame the people. Blame those who earn a bit more, not million dollar salary type, for competing with the lower income to buy public flats. Yes, blame the higher income earners. And the lower income will be stupid enough to believe you and also blame the higher income earners for not getting their flats.
Ok, daft sinkies, you see the logic and the moral of the story? Con the stupid, they are very easy to be conned and to do the fighting. See how angry they are when the higher earners, not million dollar salary type, who try to be prudent to save for retirement wanted to buy public flats? They get cursed and cursed when the people that should be cursed should be the people that refused to build more flats. So simple, can understand or not? If not, blame your own stupidity for being misled.
How to force people to use expensive hospital wards like A and B1 wards? Don’t build C Class wards or build only a few for show. Then make it difficult for those who want to go to C wards to wait long long. Tell them queue very long, not enough C Class beds. Let them wait in the corridors.
If this is not enough, do mean testing so that the ‘gian png’ type, got a bit more money, but not million dollar salary type, would be forced to use B1 or A Class wards and pay more. And let those lower income unthinking people to scold them and blame them for wanting to stay in C Class wards. And when they spent too much on higher medical bills in A or B1 wards and not enough for retirement, blame them again for spending beyond their means. Tell them must be prudent!
See, so simple. Don’t build C Class wards and blame those higher incomes, not million dollar salary type, for creating demands to deprive the lower income from their C Class beds. The problem is passed to the higher income, not million dollar income group type, to bear the brunt of the anger of the unthinking lower income group. Just say not enough C Class beds and point the finger to the higher income, not million dollar income type, for taking away C Class wards.
Does the lower income group understand who caused the problem for shortage of C Class beds? Can understand the logic of supply and demand or not? What is the moral of the story?
Think, think, think. Don’t be deceived and conned into believing that the higher income, not he million dollar income type, is the problem. Can see who is creating the problem?
It is so simple!
PS. I used the term stupid not because I think the people are stupid. They are made to look stupid, not by me, to blame the higher income, not million dollar income type, for all their woes.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heng ah! Transport fare down by 1.9%

Where in the world got transport price decrease one? This can only happen in Sin City, the country runs by the best super talent money can buy. Another miracle!

It really pays to pay super talents millions to show mercy to the commuters, the average people who earn just enough to get by in life, to get a fare cut. The net amount of savings per trip will vary from 1c to 4c with the majority saving 1c or 2c per trip. The Sinkies are now feeling so grateful and so ‘heng’. Imagine if they have not given the PAP a 70% majority vote, this thing will not happen, maybe even a price hike.

Some ungratefuls are still complaining that the price of oil has gone down by 50%, how come only 1.9% cut? Some even pointed out that in April there was a hike of 2.8% even when the price of oil was already down more than 30%. So, give you fare cut you still not happen ya? Be grateful man, be very grateful.

Now with such a great gesture, it is time the people should reciprocate and reward the ministers with a little pay hike as well. How about a 1.9% hike for the ministers? Why so little? Let me see, a million dollar salary, a 1.9% hike will mean how much? $19,000 only! Ya too little. To be meaningful, maybe 5%, not too big, not too small. After all for three years the minister did not get a pay hike and times must be hard on them. A 5% hike should come to $50,000 or about $4,000 pm. Not very much, but it will be a good gesture in return for the 1.9% fare cut.

What do you think? Got come, got go, they give you some, you give them some. Win win.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore a fine and smart city
The govt is turning the city state into a wonderful, fine and smart city of the future. We are going to see all the space age technology being introduced to make life so convenient and so wonderful. Everything will be at the finger tips, with the push of a button. You want to know when the next train or bus will arrive, whether it is full or empty or how many empty seats are available and at which corner, just push a button in your mobile phone or at any terminals provided at the station. Everything is so smart. The citizens can even park their brains at home and move around without thinking. All the thinking will be done by the computers they carry around or strapped to their bodies. All the buildings, homes, cars etc etc will be smart like hell too.
The catch, can you afford it? The $600.000 bill to transform the National Stadium from football mode to athletics mode is a case in point. The stadium is fabulous, state of the art architecture. It is available for use to the buyer who can afford its clever and useful facilities. This time is looks like the Athletes Association cannot afford it. So sad. How so? Doesn’t the association know that good things, quality things, don’t come cheap. You want style, you want cheap, cannot right.
This prohibitive fee by the National Stadium is going to be the new normal. Singaporeans must get use to live in a fine, smart and futuristic city with fantastic sci fi facilities. Just make sure you can afford it, like $100 taxi fare. How many people earn less than $100 a day?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing in Singapore is affordable!
Really, housing in Singapore is really affordable. The HDB and the govt have been saying this almost everyday. In 2010, Mah Bow Tan said that ‘more than 80 per cent’ of new flat buyers in the same scenario, ie, ‘were repaying their housing loans using their CPF and did not have to fork out cash’. How to disagree when the govt and then minister for housing said so? Housing is affordable. It depends on who is saying and using what numbers, and who you want to believe.
Then why are the property professionals saying ‘what they would like to see from the authorities is more data, such as the number of years needed for households to pay off their flats, or the ratio of the flat’s price to household income tracked over a period of time.’ What these professionals are saying is that they don’t believe in what the govt and the minister said. And the reason is simple, so simple. It depends on so many things that are so hazy and subjective that anyone can claim anything they want by nitpicking on what they want to use as the data.
Let me point out a few misleading facts. The above comments about affordability, 80 percent paying using CPF and not having to touch cash, therefore affordable? And another number quoted is that ‘they are using a quarter of their monthly income on average to repay their housing loans’. This is below the international affordability benchmarks of 30 to 35 percent. Don’t forget, the CPF contribution is 17 + 20 percent! Using a $2000 monthly income, the total is $340 +$400 = $740 or 37 per cent if one is using all his monthly CPF contribution. What about those having to top up with cash? The bottom line is 37%. How did they get the number of 25 per cent or a quarter of their income? Ok, maybe got to deduct for Medisave etc.
And income is household income, not individual or one income. And the affordability is about HDB flat at the bottom, 2rm or 3rm flats. What about bigger flats, what about private properties, 3m, 30m, 50m? Should Singaporeans be happy and contented that 2rm flats are affordable?
What about retirement? How much is left for retirement after paying for affordable 2rm HDB flats? What about the number of years to repay? If one needs 30 years to repay, how many years left for one to save for retirement? In reality, many would be paying and paying for their entire life as they are not stopping at the first HDB flat. This means no time to save for retirement, nothing much left for retirement.
Can anyone ask why until today, when everyone has been kpkbing about housing affordability, there is still no agreement as to what is the acceptable formula to measure affordability? Simple, because everyone wants to use data to suit his agenda to tell the things he wants the people to know. In other words the truth is selective truth, biased truth, distorted truth, nothing but the truth.
Some analysts are suggesting using the mid range of the average Singaporeans with $3k or $4k household income and the price of a 4 rm flat to be used as the average data for the average Singaporean, not the data of the bottom feeders as the national data. Or there could be different sets of data, for the 2rm, 3 and 4 rm, 5rm and above, private condos and landed properties to show the different grades of affordability.
Using a figure, those of the lowest income and with govt subsidies and grants, is not a fair measure of affordability. Who is kidding who? Is this a case of statistics lying or people lying?
Did anyone say honest men don't lie?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sing dollar very big or very small?
Singaporeans are so happy that Sing dollar is appreciating against the ringgit, S$1 to MR$3. This is very good news for those spending money across the causeway, those who frequent the shops and restaurants and recreation facilities in the north, enduring the long jams and hours wasted in the queue, going in and out of Singapore. To some it is worth it, so some, the little savings does not justify the time wasted in the jams. And there are others buying properties in Malaysia. The properties are getting cheaper with the stronger Sing dollar. But what is the bottom line, did they make money from their property investments or end up losing more despite the advantageous of a stronger Sing dollar?
Strong Sing dollar mainly benefits those who work here and remit their money back home, convert to their home currencies and spend on things that are cheaper due to their lower cost of living, buying properties, cars, and whatever. The Malaysians working here are the biggest beneficiaries to the strong exchange rate. So are the Indians, Chinese, Myanmese, Pinoys, Bangladeshis and others.
How many Singaporeans really benefit from the strong Singapore dollar? If they spend their money here, actually their money is getting smaller and smaller, not bigger. When citizens of other countries could buy a car for $10K or $20k equivalent, Singaporeans need to pay more than $100k to buy a car, a few hundred thousands to buy a bigger car. This is how small the Sing dollar has become to the Singaporeans. And this same principle applies to all other purchases. A $500k ringgit is good enough to buy a landed property of more than 2000 sq ft in Malaysia. A $500k Sing dollar could only purchase a 4 or 5rm HDB flat at most, for 99 years. That is the purchasing power of the Sing dollar. Don’t be conned, the Sing dollar is losing its value at home. A Sing dollar today is worth very much lesser than yesterday in purchasing power. A $1 bowl of noodle is now $3.50. Public transport used to be less than a dollar, now $2 or more daily. Taxi fare used to be less than $10, now can be $50 or more.
This is how big the Sing dollar has become. So, are Singaporeans benefitting from the strong Sing dollar? Only if they spend it outside Singapore. The majority of the average Singaporeans are not benefitting from a stronger Sing dollar but a Sing dollar that is losing its purchasing value.
So, should Singaporeans be happier with the higher income they are getting today? It used to be pretty comfortable living with a $1000 household income. Today, a twin income of $4,000 is struggling to get by. Definitely cannot afford a car, maybe a bicycle for the new quality lifestyle.
While the paper income is more, but the purchasing power is so much lower today than yesterday. Imagine a $3,000 pm income and how much luxury the family could afford to buy then and how a $3,000 income today is making ends meet?
Is the Sing dollar bigger or smaller today?
Now the Malaysians would be laughing and saying, my $500k ringgit can get me a landed property, what can your $500k Sing dollar get you? My $30k ringgit can buy a car, what can your $30k Sing buy, a motor bike? Can’t even buy a piece of paper called COE.
Singaporeans who can afford it, would enjoy a few trips overseas to spend their strong dollars but will return home to spend their shrinking dollar at home for the rest of the year.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar Tax – More happy solutions to Singapore’s problem
MP Chia Shi Lu is asking the govt to consider imposing sugar tax on food with high sugar content to fight against diabetes, heart disease, stroke and certain type of cancers. Sugar is a main cause to the rise in obesity. Imposed a sugar tax is a very good solution. All food and beverage with a sugar content shall be subject to a sugar tax to cut down on sugar consumption.
And do not stop at just sugar, fat is also dangerous. A fat tax should also be considered. But Chia Shi Lu also expresses concern that ‘such taxes may raise prices and disproportionately affect lower income Singaporeans who spend more on cheaper processed foods. See, poor people cannot afford organic food or better quality food that are low on sugar, fat and low cholesterol and whatever to be healthy food. So how? Can give them more subsidies or not?
Some say eat rice also can get cancer because all those cancer patients also eat rice. So can consider a rice tax as well? And this is a timely reason to raise more taxes on wine and alcohol, all got sugar content, ice cream, cakes, sweets etc etc.
To protect the health of the people, more taxes must be imposed to reduce their intake of food.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water shortage, drought, Linggui water level lowest
There is a new awareness that there is a water shortage among the Singaporeans. Some are showing signs of panic and are demanding for more severe austerity drives from the govt. Make the people feel the pain! A few forumers are parroting these same unthinking lines that the people must be made to feel the pain, make them pay more to know the value of water. Well this kind of stupidity is now in the DNA of daft Singaporeans. And they even quoted half baked foreigners to support their stupidity, wanting to pay more for the water they are consuming. Someone is quietly smiling in the corner, knowing that his million dollar paycheck would come in time with stupid people so happy to pay more taxes.
Didn’t these clowns know that Singapore is planning to double its population to 10m? If Singapore can afford to double its population to 10m, how can there be shortage of water? Do these people really think the govt are fools, not enough water still want to have 10m population? Cannot be right?
Now stop crying out loud for more restraining measures to control the use of water. Understand how much is needed per person first. Don’t anyhow shout about the average and people must use less than the average. I bet the average for the foreigners are lesser, because they don’t bath like daft Sinkies do. They no need expensive shampoo and scented lotion to go with it. They don’t mind smelling like they are and daft Sinkies like that too. Once you get use to the smell you may ask for more, and not having them may have withdrawal symptoms and side effects.
This may be a good thing that the foreigners can teach the daft Sinkies, use less water by not bathing and get use to the smell. The pigs are very happy with the smell in the pig sty. They will ask, what smell, where got?
Oops, I digress. Come to think of it the daft Sinkies are really daft. There is a real need to increase the population to 10m. This will improve our water resources. Instead of 5m people peeing, we have 10m people peeing into our reservoir to provide more liquid for our Newater. Such liquid is independent of rainfall. Got rain no rain, they would still pee. Daft Sinkies are just too daft and cannot see further than their nose and the long term plans of the govt.
Last year new citizens increased by 20,815, PRs by another 29,955, netting 57,700 more head counts, plus our 30,000++ babies these will give a total plus side of nearing 90,000 in a year. The govt is meticulously and conscientiously working towards the 10m population goal to increase our water supply. Not to worry, everything is planned for the good of the people. When the population is 10m, our water problem will be solved. No need to panic that we would not have enough water. No need to worry. No need to increase water fee. Trust the govt.
Be smart, don’t be stupid. But if you are stupid enough and want to pay more for your water, go ahead. No one is stopping you.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore is getting to become a very exciting fine city
Parking fees going up in December or HDB will lose $100m yearly despite a report that the two agencies, URA and HDB ‘earning a total of $667 million from their carparks in their latest financials for 2014/15. This piece of information is in the mypaper on 5 Jul.
Now why the fear mongering that HDB is going to lose $100m yearly? Maybe the $667m were mostly made by URA and not HDB. Maybe HDB’s share of the $667 was negligible or miserable and easily wiped out by the increasing cost of managing and maintaining carparks. Actually HDB’s share was $595m and URA’s was $62m, total added up $657m, $10m missing from the $667m.
The report also said HDB’s operating cost was $700m. Can it then be concluded that the total revenue for carpark operation was $700m + $595m or $1,295m? And HDB claimed that it would lose $100m if the fees or revenue did not go up. What does this mean? Operating cost will increase so much to wipe out the revenue of $1,295m and ended with a loss of $100m? So the total operating cost will be $1,395m, tiok boh? I not accountant or finance expert, can only make simple deduction.
HDB operates 2,000 carparks and recently installed electronic pricing equipment and system that cost $150,000 each to save on manpower cost and to be more efficient in collecting more money. This works out to $300 m in initial capital expenditure. Then the savings from carpark attendance walking the car parks would be transferred to hiring more technicians and software engineers to maintain the $300m system. Not sure the savings from terminating all the carpark attendants would be enough to pay for the technicians and engineers. Very likely not that is why HDB is talking about losing $100m a year with the new equipment and system.
And who should pay for this capital expenditure and new hires, the carpark users? Did the carpark users have a say whether to invest in this costly equipment that would raise the cost of carpark management? No, the HDB decides what is good for them (or for the HDB?) and how much they should pay for the equipment. Great thinking and great philosophy!
And this is not enough. There is a forum writer, a Francis Cheng Choon Fei, who wrote to the Today paper that increasing carpark fees without increasing parking fines is not an efficient way to manage car population. I am not going to ask if he is a car owner with a deep pocket or someone that could not afford to own a car, so increasing fines does not affect his pocket, but I think many Singaporeans would agree with him. Singaporeans just love to pay fines and the bigger the fines the finer would be their lives.
I hope the govt would accept this ground up suggestion and raise all kinds of parking fines and car related fines to make this a finer city. We not only have to pay for the most expensive cars, but car related fines. Our parking fees are still not high enough compare to the price of car ownership. Let’s go for it, increase all the fines and fees.
My eye balls are rolling because this kind of suggestions is music to the ears of the people that believe in nothing wrong with collecting more money.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How poor or how rich are Singaporeans?
Leong Sze Hian quoted some numbers from the MOM. Let me quote below:
Median gross income of all employed residents (excluding employer CPF) is much lower?
However, if you look at the Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) Yearbook of Manpower Statistics 2016 – the median gross income of all employed residents (excluding employer CPF) is much lower, at $3,125.
407,400 earn less than $1,500?
There were 407,400 residents (about 19.4 per cent of the total workforce of $2.1 million) whose median gross income was less than $1,500 monthly.
After CPF = less than $1,200?
If we deduct the maximum employee CPF contribution of 20 per cent – the net take-home pay may be less than $1,200.
Arguably, most of the 407,400 people with take-home pay of less than $1,200 may be struggling to make ends meet.
47,000 earn less than $500?
I am stunned by a few numbers from the above stats. 407,400 or 19.4 per cent of the residents earned less than $1,500. This is not much different from the pay of our top cleaning supervisors. My God, so many earned the same salary as cleaners! And after less CPF, the take come salary is only $1,200, the salary of ordinary cleaners.
This is jiat lat man. How to survive in this most expensive city in the world, or among the top few most expensive cities in the world? But there is one comfort, the govt has made home ownership so cheap. With $1,000 they can buy a 2 rm flat to stay. At least this is a consoling point, got a roof over the heads. Not sure how much left for food and other necessities.
But aren’t Singaporeans the richest people in Asia? Very high income, asset rich, highest quality of life. Putting the two together, this must be another Singapore miracle. Earning less than $1,500 and can afford to live well in one of the most expensive cities in the world when some complained that their family life would be affected if they did not earn more than millions in annual income. I really respect and admire those earning less than $1,500 pm and living well. I am still wondering how they could do it? They must be switching to eating fish when meat becomes too expensive.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore got poor people meh?
Gilbert Goh posted an article about the 200% hike in rental of a single mum living in a HDB flat. I quote,
‘A young single mum with a primary school-going daughter related to us how HDB mercilessly increases their rent from $61 to $230 during renewal when her new job carries a salary which increases from $1200 to $1500 before CPF deduction.
All the joy of having a $300 pay jump from a new job became a curse when HDB upon renewal of her lease learnt of the good news and decided to increase her rent.’
With a $300 pay hike, after less CPF, the single mum would have a little extra of $250+ to ease her living expense burden. Now with a $169 rental hike, there would be only $89 surplus left. Water fee hike, transport fee hike, hike of food prices and what not, the $89 may end up with only $50 left.
So the employer gave a pay hike to employees but the money goes to who? It would be quite different for people getting a 10% pay hike on a $10,000 or $20,000 salary or more. But a $300 pay hike to the poor, oops, cannot say this word, Singapore where got poor people, should use lower income people, it is a lot but ended up in other people’s pockets.
What to say? Our Robin Hoods are very good at robbing the poor to give to the rich. Oops, sorry again, Singapore got no poor people to be robbed. Robin Hood would have a big problem in Singapore because there is no poor people to rob. All the so called poor people have a lot of money in their CPF savings and these can be used to pay for more compulsory schemes to benefit them. Such lucky people. No need to think how to spend their savings, the govt thinks for them and helps them to spend.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milk powder – Remember, you want quality, you pay
This mantra of everything must be expensive and priced accordingly is
probably the biggest culprit in the milk powder controversy. Actually it is
wrong to call it a controversy. The prices of milk powder, especially the
branded ones, have reached the roof and priced like the Mercedes and Rolls
Royce, like luxury items, to be worn on the sleeve.

How could rich parents not give their children the best, the most expensive
brand of milk powder with some even claiming to make the child more
intelligent? With only one child, many parents would give everything they
have to the precious child. Even the not so rich would be hard pressed to
want to give their children the best formula milk to compete with the
children of the elite. And so goes the merry go round and branded formula
milk keep raising their prices to be better by being the most expensive
brand.

And how to tell the mothers that the most expensive brand may not be the
best milk powder for their children? Is milk powder just milk powder
regardless of brand? How to convince the mothers that cheap is also good
when they have always been saying, you want good stuff, quality stuff, pay for
it?

Maybe the govt must start to sing another song, price does not matter and
price is not equated to quality. But what about the high prices of
education, of medical services, of expensive goods and services, are they
really good or no good? All politicians are politicians, sama sama, $200k
or $3m also politician.

Milk powder is just milk powder? How to tell the mothers to go for the
cheapest brand, the house brands of some super market chain? They are
equally good. This really needs a lot of convincing to do to tell the
people that cheap is good, that cheap can also be good quality.

During my time, many of my generation’s babies grew up on condensed
milk like Blue Cross, Mermaid, General brand, if I could recall. What milk
powder, branded ones some more, never heard of. Then again, maybe that was
the reason why they are so daft today and unable to see shitty situation
they are in. If that is so, there is more urgency and need for branded milk
powder to make the next generation cleverer and able to think a bit better
than their unthinking parents.

What do you think, higher price, higher fees better or not?

This milk powder crisis is another unbelieveable story that went unheard,
unnoticed while the price of milk powder shot through the roof. Perhaps
everyone was thinking, you must pay for quality what. Obviously this has
reached a beh tahan point and there is political anger to demand the
situation be righted before it becomes another dangerous asset enhancement
thing when at the end everything becomes nothing.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Govt short of money?
The slew of taxes coming from the Govt is not a good sign. When a govt is desperately churning out more and more taxes, it is a sign that something is wrong, financially. Why would a govt be raising taxes so often when there is no need to, ie, when it is financially sound, when there is no need to squeeze more money from the people? The most important thing to do in judging the Govt’s financial position is what it is doing, spending more money or collecting more taxes. This is a good guide to the health of the govt’s coffer.
Why do I ask such a question, Is the Govt short of money? I did not follow the ND Rally but noticed that everyone is talking about a sugar tax. I quote this from thestatestimesreview, ‘The Ministry of Health (MOH) yesterday (Aug 22) announced that it is now “studying” sugar tax following dictator Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s National Day Rally speech on diabetes. The MOH has created a committee, “Diabetes Prevention and Care Taskforce”, to implement the sugar tax:’
Diabetes is a health issue. Telling the people not to consume too much sugar is a good thing. And the people will know that this is a good thing and would be most willing to listen to good advice. This is not something like littering and a fine is needed to keep people from littering.
Why is there a need to impose a sugar tax to keep people from taking more sugar? Is sugar a drug, like cigarette or liquor? Oh, maybe it is like water, so subject to tax to make the people know how important it is not to waste water/sugar. No, sugar is a staple food, an essential food that everyone needs, like salt and rice. To think of imposing a sugar tax is outrageous unless there are more to it than meet the eyes. Is the Govt so short of money that it is finding every excuse to raise taxes? If not, which idiot is thinking that this is a good idea? What’s next, too much salt is bad, raise salt tax. Too much rice is bad, carbohydrate is also a major cause of diabetes, so raise rice tax?
What utter rubbish! Everything also wants to tax. So desperate for money? No, no, really? Then what is the real reason behind this thinking on sugar tax? Running out of ideas? Taxing the people is fun yah? May I suggest this, tell the daft people good quality sugar must be priced higher so people would not buy too much sugar because it is expensive?
Why doesn’t the Govt make consuming excessive sugar a crime? Then can impose fine for buying or consuming too much sugar. Make the people wear a sugar counter on their necks to measure how much they take and fine them accordingly if exceeded the limit? Have these people gone crazy, money crazy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 45 of 46

Jump to: