Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Cost of living Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matilah_Singapura

Location: LAND OF SMILES & INSTANT GRATIFICATION, of Delightful Exploitation...and a true Buddhist spirit!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Govt proetected business is merchantalism - or feudalism. It is about the aristocracy, the appointed elites and its power over the common folk.

Laissez faire is about the poor and middle class: If you can make it, it doesn't matter what your socio-economic status is. You play in the market and make your offering. Start small, please as many customers as you can, and who knows... you may end up a tycoon. This is the rise of the NATURAL elites - they can come from ANYWHERE.

Market democracy - everyone has a chance.

However, I'm thankful for small and big mercies. The big mercy here is GLOBALISATION. No govt can protect itself from this forever. In time, they'll be forced to cut FREE what they have "privatised" and attempted to control, because protecting these GLCs and suchlike requires state resources - like tax money.

The cracks are already appearing. Media all over the world is reporting on Singapore feudalism - and the myth is exposed. What myth? That Singapore markets itself as a "free market economy". True in one sense: internationally it is laissez faire. But domestically, it is a tyrannical feudal state run by psychopaths.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Straits Times devoted 8 or 9 pages of today's paper on a subject that was shunned during the election. It was taboo to talk about it then. During the election or prior to the election, all the news that the paper were pushing out were 'good news' or feel good news. The economy was doing well, all the data and indices were up, export up, GDP up, trade up, stock exchange doing roaring business, people doing very well, all prospering and happy. And billions of dollars will be given away. And the Straits Times was telling the truth. There is no doubt that all the reports in the traditional meda were all truth.

But another side of the truth were kept in the dark, not to be spoken as it was the wrong time for them. So today we are reading the dark side, the other side of the truth. Every page is heart drenching, and tugging at the heart string. How could there be so much poverty and sadness in this land of opportunities? How could people be so happy and every thing so affordable, if not, even cheap like hell, when a section of the population is living in despair?

This social disparity must be the fault of those people who cannot keep up with the changes in society. They are the ones to be blamed. If they are not able, or they must be lazy, then they deserved to be in the state they are in. This is the kind of thinking among the smart and able who pride themselves for being so clever, to helping themselves to every opportunities to make all the wealth, and to live in paradise on earth.

Let's throw some crumbs at them shall we? It makes us feel so good, so magnanimous, so generous, to shed a few tears, to help the suffering poor. And don't worry if the prices of public transport are going up, or medical cost going up. They are all affordable....to who? Embarassed
Matilah_Singapura

Location: LAND OF SMILES & INSTANT GRATIFICATION, of Delightful Exploitation...and a true Buddhist spirit!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbean wrote:
Let's throw some crumbs at them shall we? It makes us feel so good, so magnanimous, so generous, to shed a few tears, to help the suffering poor. And don't worry if the prices of public transport are going up, or medical cost going up. They are all affordable....to who? Embarassed

The very first way to "help the poor" is to ensure that you do not end up poor yourself. Then you'd be in a position to be charitable and benevolent.

The next step to take is to allow society to organise itself (no central planning—spontaneous order) within a framework of unlimited property rights.

Many of those who are classed as "poor" have had their property robbed from them by the absolute power of the state. That property includes their individual liberties to resort to any peaceful means to make money.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Not everyone is born equal or equally endowed. Some are handicapped in some ways that would not allow them to function or compete equally with others.

For the religious, some are born to live their karma.

The systems must always take care of those who are very disadvantaged, especially the young who are born into poverty or the old and helpless who have done their part to society.

It is not just a case of creating a conducive environment for people to live as they like. The society has to be tweaked now and then, by people with a good heart and not by clever people with no heart.
Matilah_Singapura

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbean wrote:
Some are handicapped in some ways that would not allow them to function or compete equally with others.

You mean "a minority", when you say "some".

Quote:
The systems must always take care of those who are very disadvantaged, especially the young who are born into poverty or the old and helpless who have done their part to society.

What system? Theft—aka "forced" charity? That diminishes the meaning of "charity". What is "society"? Ain't no such thing in the context you've used the word, dear redbean.

The "society" you refer to are individual men and women. Being poor, helpless of handicapped doesn't mean that that individual—tragic as his circumstances are—has an "automatic claim" on the lives and property of others.

Unless of course you think stealing and extortion is MORAL? Shocked

I state, again: taking some elses property by force or the threat of force is STEALING in the first case, and EXTORTION in the second.

Quote:
It is not just a case of creating a conducive environment for people to live as they like. The society has to be tweaked now and then, by people with a good heart and not by clever people with no heart.

Again, there is no such thing as society. When you "tweak" a society, you forcibly interfere with peaceful individuals.

In my mind, and I hope in yours, that is IMMORAL.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your definition, a nation is a society of organised people. The country or nation is a society.

The people accept or have no choice but to accept the govt and the rules of the games as legislated. Taxation is theft in a way, an extortion in a way, or a price that the organised people have to pay to be organised and regulated.

The poor do not have any right to anyone's money or wealth. Agree. But a organised society with accepted social values and morality, however pretentious, feel or is willing to share some of the wealth of the society with the unfortunate. And that is not robbery. They need not have to and could have just let the weak perish.

That is the conscience of an organised society, or organised conscience as against an unorganised society where everyone has to look after his own survival, like the savannah of Africa.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is bigger than yours

Singapore is planning to build the observation wheel (something like ferris wheel) named Singapore Flyer. The Singapore Flyer is targeted to operate before CNY 2008. Based on wiki, it is 150m in diameter, and 178m high.

Beijing also made the same decision, but bigger. The target is before 2008 Olympics. It is 198m in diameter, and high 208m high.

Several other countries are in this competition too. Anyway, it is apparently the Asia comes to an era to worship technology, to break engineering world record, and build even more magnificent man-made landmarks in the globe. But, remember one thing, the western did this years ago, and they are happy to participate these prosperous projects.

The above article is posted in One Season in Singapore. It may not be an article directly linked to cost of living. But in a way it has some relations to it. The article points to how third world countries and mentality will keep pushing them to spend on things which can glorify and cover up their incompetence to make advances in tangible technological projects and developments. So something like the biggest this and the biggest that will do.

And they employed the Angmohs, sorry I am not being xenophobic here, who willingly recommend to them all the great advances in the western world. And they all laugh happily to the banks.

Third world nations have this ability and propensity to spend on self glorification and to imitate the west. The west have their football leagues and third world nations will want that too. They won the world cup. Third world nation also want to win the world cup at all cost. They climb Mt Everest, cross the Antartic, third world people also want to do the same.

They have the technology to flirt in space. Third world nations who can't even build a car wanted to send men to space too.

What else?
Matilah_Singapura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbean wrote:
That is the conscience of an organised society, or organised conscience as against an unorganised society where everyone has to look after his own survival, like the savannah of Africa.

Here's the recurring flaw in your reasoning: a society cannot have a conscience because it is not a living thing. A "society" is just an abstract communicated as a part of speech— a noun.

BTW if a society is made up of individuals, WHO "organises" society?

Cats? Dogs? Whales? Ghosts? Angels? Shocked

Imperfect humans attempt to organise society. And I'm gald they fail (for my selfish entertainment's sake) Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ok, agree that society is an abstract form and no conscience. I am just referring to it in a very loose sense, that the people as a whole shares some common values and beliefs and this will be made known or reflected in some way.

It is a flaw. My apologies. Laughing
Darth_Revan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rued the day cavemen learnt that clubs were a fine way to move up the tribe hierachy ladder and bashing heads was actually fun....
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you mean by bashing heads with clubs. Heads can be bashed in many ways, without using clubs.

But clubs are swift, fast and effective, like the Sydney case.
Darth_Revan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbean wrote:
It depends on what you mean by bashing heads with clubs. Heads can be bashed in many ways, without using clubs.

But clubs are swift, fast and effective, like the Sydney case.

One way to look at it, is "bashing heads" is the way to reach the top of the hierarchy of a society, and then continue "bashing heads" to keep oneself in power.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following the arguments on mrt fares for young children. The reasoning from mrt is very simple. The adults are cross subsidising the children. So if they are pushed to give more concessions to children, you know what, the adult fares must go up.

Maybe we should the mrt whether they can lose money? Or is there a private business that is guaranteed of profits? If mrt is losing money, not even losing money, if it thinks the next year it is going to earn lesser than this year, they will simply apply for a fare hike.

Where on earth got such a sure profit business?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that the CPF minimum sum and the Medisave limit were raised, $94,600 and $33,000, any excess contributed to the Medisave will be transferred to the Special Account. What this amounts to is that at age 55, the minimum kept in the CPF will be $127,600 plus whatever is in the Special Account. This becomes not disposable income of an ordinary Singaporean.

Why the need to keep people's money of such a huge sum against the will of the people?

Singaporeans will mostly die very rich, with a lot of money left in the CPF.
Grunt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is more than meet the eyes !
It gets better ......................................

By 2013 the changes will be :

iv. Increase in CPF Minimum Sum (MS), Medisave Minimum Sum (MMS) and Medisave Contribution Ceiling (MCC)

CPF Minimum Sum (MS)

From 1 July 06, the CPF MS will be increased from $90,000 to $94,600. The new amount will apply to CPF members who turn 55 from 1 July 06 to 30 June 07. CPF members who set aside the $94,600 fully in cash will receive a monthly payout of $750 from age 62 for about 20 years.

This increase is in line with the announcements made in August ‘03 that the CPF MS will be raised gradually to reach $120,000 (in ‘03 dollars) in 2013. The increase in MS, which includes an adjustment for inflation, is to ensure that Singaporeans set aside sufficient savings for their retirement.

Medisave Minimum Sum (MMS) and Medisave Contribution Ceiling (MCC)

From 1 July 06, the MMS will be increased from $27,500 to $28,000. This amount will apply to members who withdraw their CPF at or after 55 years old.

The MCC will be also raised from $32,500 to $33,000. This amount is the maximum balance each member may have in his Medisave Account.2

The revision to MMS and MCC is to ensure that Singaporeans have sufficient savings to meet their hospitalisation expenses, and have been adjusted for inflation.

If you meet the CPF Minimum Sum, you will need to set aside a Medisave Required Amount in your Medisave Account when you withdraw your CPF. The Medisave Required Amount is set at $8,300 from 1 January 2006 and will increase by $2,500 (in 2003 dollars) each year until it reaches $25,000 (in 2003 dollars) on 1 January 2013.

Basically, by year 2013 when one reaches 55 (if they have not extend
the withdrawal age by then that is) he needs to set aside a minimum
of the undermentioned.

Ordinary + Special Account = $120,000.00
(50% can be from property asset)

Medisave Account = $25,000.00

Total minimum sum = $145,000.00

If they do not increase the sum again because of Inflation or maybe
the cost of living ..... is it not both of them are the same ................
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 2 of 46

Jump to: