Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
singapore, a city for 7-8 millions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overflowing tea cup

The call for allowing more foreigners into this island has not subsided, instead in some corners the voice is getting louder. We must aspire to be a global and cosmopolitan city, with the best of the rest of the world coming here to give it the buzz. Sounds pretty exciting and positive huh, a vibrant and rich city with a rich blend of culture and lifestyle from people all over. In big countries, the rich city is like a centre or heart of the country, a nucleus of sort. In our case, we will be a global city and also a global country, as the country is in the city or the city the country.

Now what is left of the country for the people? Where is the place for the citizens, or what is in it for the people when the city/country becomes homes to foreigners?

Many of these advocates for a cosmopolitan city of foreigners are just talking through their asses. There must be an optimum or desirable percentage of foreigners to keep a city vibrant without the citizens losing their place or right of existence. The percentage of foreigners could vary for cities in big countries to those in small countries and to those where the city is the country itself. A city like New York or London could have a bigger proportion of foreigners and still would not lose its perspective and place as a part of the USA or UK. A city in a small country with a relatively smaller population would be hard pushed to have a big foreign population without undermining the interests and character of the country. A city like Singapore, which in all sense a city country, would be under great pressure to have 50% or 60% of its population made up of foreigners. Pushing this limit to 70% or more is critical and could put the citizen’s interest in jeopardy. Where are we now? State secret?

What is the desirable or optimal percentage of foreigners should this city state allow in to be comfortable socially, politically and with no compromise to our sense of security? Have we already long exceeded our comfort zone and should be culling the foreigners now instead of foolishly and unthinkingly asking for more foreigners to be let in? Though there are some quarters internally that are rooting for more foreigners, the call for the incessant influx of foreigners is mostly from foreigners themselves. They have no vested interests as citizens of the city state and what is good to them is not necessary good for the citizens and worse, often bad, very bad for the citizens.

When the tea cup is full, it is silly to keep filling it up. We are already overpopulated for our own comfort except for the views of people who think it is good and desirable to live like mice in a small enclosed space. We have also exceeded the safe or comfort zone in the percentage of foreigners vis a vis our citizens. We are already a minority in our own country. Is that not scary? The citizens must have the final say on this.

In whose benefits are the calls for more foreigners into our city home? Is it for the general good of citizens, for the good of a small group of citizens, or for the good of foreigners? The people, non citizens, or citizens who treat this city state as a hotel, will be all for more foreigners. They have no stake or interest in the well being of the citizens except for themselves and their short sighted immediate comfort and good. The citizens’ interests can be sacrificed or ignored.

Please, the tea cup is overflowing. Unless we have a bigger cup, a swimming pool, talk some sense and spare a thought for the citizens that are being squeezed out of their island city state. Foreigners should stop prescribing what they think is good for Singaporeans. We know what is good or bad for us.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra’s article 0n 6.9m population in TRE
I pulled this comment out from Cassandra’s article on LKY’s comment on the 6.9m population posted in TRE. On page 223 of his latest book, ‘One Man’s View Of The World‘, LKY said “DPM Teo Chee Hean has put up a White Paper. Let’s wait a few years for it to be implemented, to see if the measures work”.
I feel very uncomfortable reading these two sentences. The govt is going to wait for a few years for it to be implemented. And the govt is not sure if it is going to work. The 6.9m population is still rolling ahead in full steam according to this comment. There is no change of heart and no change of direction. 6.9m is what Singapore is going to get in 2030.
The second part, the govt is not sure if it is going to work. How many in the cabinet or the MPs are convinced that this will work and what does it mean by work? This cannot be a one man idea, pushed through without the support of the team and everyone fiddling their thumbs hoping that it will work. This is a very big gamble on the future of the country and the lives of our people. What if it does not work? What are the grave consequences that the people will have to bear? One thing we need not have to worry is that most of us will not be around to see that day.
Why is there a need to take such an intractable risk of flooding the island with so many people when we are struggling with 5.35m or maybe now 5.6m or 5.7m oredy? Hey, this is no joke you know. This is not masak masak, tikam tikam.
The govt is casting the die, and die die the die must be cast in this way and hoping that the country and people will not die from it. I am beginng to be terrified. Can you blame me for feeling this way?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to conquer the world

Till the Second World War, the world or countries were conquered by the use of military might. It was all about superiority in technology and military weapons. Countries that were relatively small could conquer countries many times their size in land and people. All the European powers were small countries relative to Africa, the two Americas and even countries like India and China. But they ruled the world and built empires that lasted for several hundred years.

After the WW2, the two remaining superpowers of USSR and the USA attempted to continue to rule the world with military might. This time they were not so successful. The East European bloc under the USSR broke up with the breaking up of the Soviet Union. The Americans fought several wars in Asia and the Middle East and were defeated or unable to subdue the invaded countries. The Soviet Union left in defeat in Afghanistan, the Americans held on with some residual forces in Japan and South Korea but were bitterly thrashed in Vietnam, a poor and much smaller country. The Americans are still trying to rule the Middle East and northern African but finding it increasingly difficult as long as the people are willing to die fighting the Americans.

Unable to make further headways, the American’s are shifting their military targets into Asia hoping to fight another war using their allies as proxies. This new development is still work in progress starting with the American pivot and is doing fine with Japan, India, Vietnam and the Philippines happily on board in this bandwagon of war. The story is unfolding rapidly with tension rising and flashed points increasing.

There is yet another war going on quietly, to conquer the world. In this new warfare, it is not about military might and using extreme force and power. It is a sublime infiltration of people, through migration and population. This is a new war conducted by the poor nations, the so called Third World to occupy and conquer the rich and powerful First World, without firing a shot, and with the unannounced acquiescence and compliance of the First World countries. The migrants are invited to populate the rich countries and to eventually swarm and take over the countries by sheer numbers.

The remarkable thing about this new conquest of the world by the poor Third World and apparently helpless and less able people is that it is inevitable. The First World countries are not reproducing themselves and are inviting the Third World people to replace them, willingly though grudgingly and with certain amount of contempt. They, the First World countries, believe that they needed the numbers from the Third World to fill up the gaps and for economic growth, and nothing else. They did not count on the consequences in the long run when they become the minority or the sheer numbers and integration of the migrants would make the takeover of their countries unnoticeable and seamless.

A good example is Singapore, a small island with a small population that can easily be replaced by foreigners. And because of its unique multicultural history of migrants, the new migrants would become citizens and leaving no traces of the origins. And it is only a matter of time when the majority of the island will be new migrants. And the best part, the govt sees this as good, as a new formula to sustain economic growth and the viability of the city state. In one generation, the Singaporean core, the original Singaporeans from the year of Independence will become a minority in the island and in two generations they would probably be lost in a sea of new citizens and be extinct like the dodo birds or like many of the native flora and fauna in the island.

The Third World people will conquer the world and rule the New World without having to fight a world war. They are welcomed to take over by the more intelligent and more industrious First World inhabitants. Europe and the USA will go along in a matter of time, without knowing it.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santos J - Model PR

Santos, a PR from the Philippines, has written an appeal to Singaporeans not to be too harsh on them and allow them to buy HDB flats from the resale market. And he has good reasons to say so. One of the biggest and immediate gain for allowing PRs like him to buy HDB flats is that the Singaporean owners will make capital gains, ie, they are helping Singaporeans to make profits when they buy their flats. I can’t dispute such a sound argument and Singaporeans got to be very appreciative of this wealth creation opportunity provided by PRs. And don’t be envious when they later sell it back to some Singaporeans to make some profits when they decide to go home.

Santos has more to add on his contributions and commitments to Singapore. I quote,
‘Some of you asked about our commitments to Singapore. I can say for certainty that my son will serve NS when it’s time for him to do so.
We are also sacrificing for Singapore.
My wife and I will prefer to remain as PRs because we have a sense of pride being citizens of our country. We were born and raised there. I hope you can understand our feelings for our country just like you have yours for Singapore.
As for my son, he will have to decide what he wants to be when the time comes. He is currently studying at a local school.
I appreciate what Singapore has done for my family.
I ask that you can please think of us PRs who are also struggling to help build your economy and your country. Thank you.

J Santos’
I must say that this is a genuine and passionate plea by a PR for the privilege and right to work and stay here and to help Singapore and Singaporeans in the process. And Singaporeans must take note that he chose to come here to help build our economy and our country. He kind of becomes a quitter of his country and kind of not wanting to help his country and his country’s economy. Now this is a big sacrifice for anyone to make for the sake of Singapore and Singaporeans. If Aquino hears this he will flip and may call Santos a quitter for sure, and a traitor if he stops smiling.
We should embrace such economic mercenaries who came here to help us. It is a pity that he still thinks of returning to the Philippines. If not, he would make an excellent candidate for political office, at least an MP. What a waste, no invitation for tea.
But do not be surprise that he would become the next poster boy, be invited and feasted everywhere he goes. Maybe he will be giving speeches to encourage more foreigners to send their children to do NS. I am simply touch.
If all the PRs think like that, we will have solved at least two problems, more recruits for NS and a growing economy. And not to forget, Singaporeans can make profits by selling their HDB flats to them.
I am going to ask for his autograph. First I must get a copy of his photo then he can sign behind it.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mentality of prostitutes
There have been many comments telling foreigners to become citizens, to be one of us, to do NS etc etc. This is not much different from being invited by a prostitute to become another prostitute in a whore house. Our citizenship is so cheap, so shameless and unworthy, to be given away to anyone freely.
Isn’t citizenship, to be the citizens of a prosperous, safe and rich country something valuable? We are now saying anyone can come and be one of us. Some Sinkies even begged foreigners to be one of us. How cheapo can we be? Our citizenship is actually one of the most highly sought after item among the citizenships of developed countries. And silly Sinkies are treating it like a piece of toilet paper, like the pink (or is it yellow) card of prostitutes? Come, come, come and get it.
The other stupid thing that I am hearing is that anyone can come and serve in our military? Do we know who that person is, what is his agenda, where is his loyalty, and what he can do to the military secrets that he will be exposed to? Do we trust any stranger with our military secrets? Are we so trusting and gullible like prostitutes? Anyone can come here and screw us? Oops, my apologies to the prostitutes. I think the prostitutes are much smarter streetwise and they don’t offer themselves for free.
For goodness sake, Sinkies, have some pride in yourself, in your country and the citizenship. Be proud of them and treasure them and not to give them away like freebees. Stop behaving like prostitutes, with no pride, no identity, no values, except thinking of money.
Our citizenship does not come only with the right to be a citizen and the right to work here. It comes with a lot of perks and substantial monetary values. Getting our citizenship is like striking lottery to many. The HDB flats will bring them instant profit in hundreds of thousands of dollars should they sell it latter. And the innumerable subsidies in education, in national bonuses, angpows, subsidies for hospitalization, for conservancy charges, top up of Medisave etc etc, these are all real monies.
How silly can Sinkies be?
Foreigners should remain foreigners, at most PRs without the same privileges as Sinkies. And only foreigners that met our criteria of what we want may only be granted citizenship. Now we are flooded with all kinds of flotsams floating in the seas. Is that what we want?
We have louts and touts and thugs. I just viewed the video clip of the Ah Tiong threatening a Sinkie in the train. Do we need such aggressive country bumpkins of the 19th century? Maybe there is a reason to import such uncouth peasants to boost our dying and degenerating genes of Pampered, Meek, Effeminate and Timid Sinkies. Sinkies need to be assaulted, beaten, chased around by foreigners, to be yelled at in their own country. The Ah Tiong would not see the daylight if he is in any country where the citizens have some pride in themselves and believe that foreigners have to know their place in their country. In this Sin City, foreigners are here to kick the locals around.
Yes, make more of such talented peasants as our citizens and we will have a more gracious society, with nice people around.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racial relations Survey
Racial relations are taking the limelight again with the Survey by the Institute of Policy Studies. The survey revealed some expected results in a multi racial society that has been subject to some violent rape and assault recently. There is nothing new really and the findings could even be deduced with a little bit of thinking. The Survey only confirmed the situation with the numbers from the respondents.
What did the Survey expect to find out other than the obvious? What is behind the thinking of the people behind the Survey? There seems to be some preconceived ideas or expectations that are deemed to be good and not good. There are some presumptions of what a good multi racial society should be. And one of the good or right things is that all the different races would be hugging and kissing each other everyday. And all of them will be socializing with each other, visiting each other and making friends if not sleeping together. The people are expected to reach out to understand other races and their sensitivities! Are these the expectations? If so, then they will be very disappointed. Is it the responsibility of individuals to make time to understand others when they hardly have time for themselves?
There are many conditions and natural behavior of human beans that would not allow it to be so. Even in a homogenous community, not everyone is hugging and kissing everyone and loving everyone or knowing everyone. There is the limitation of time. In a hot bed society like ours, everyone is so busy trying to make his living better, chasing after that dollar to pay for whatever that is needed. How much time would one have left to go sneaking around other people’s homes and prying into people’s affairs, people who have nothing to do with you or do not matter in their lives?
The days when life was less hectic, when there were plenty of idle time to do what one pleased, socializing, talking shop and playing are over. You can’t rewind the society to those days when living was easy and there were plenty of time to gaze at the stars or making love and raising children.
Then there are the individual traits that may not be particularly social in nature. Not everyone would like to be busybody or poking their noses at other people’s life and affairs. There are many that are more comfortable doing their own things, be themselves and amusing themselves in their private pursuits. What the heck is this thing that everyone is expected to be socializing with everyone and with other races to be seen as good, normal and expected? What craps! Oh, there are people who would want to be around with people, talking and yaking the whole day and night. Not everyone will conform to the same mould and expectation of the social scientists.
People will get together when they have the time and the common interests. People make friends by sharing their common activities in common areas. If the interests are different, how could they be seen messing around with each other? Would the crows and the mynahs be kissing each other or feeding in the same trough? Would one scorn at the crows or mynahs for not associating with each other or for not playing ball together? Would one be unhappy with the introverts, the not so sociable, the not so kaypoh for keeping themselves away from the maddening crowd? Different people chose to have different lifestyles and different ways of living, and people should respect that. Are the people expected to open their doors or go down to the community halls after work to prove that they are part of a community? And why bother to do that in a hotel of strangers? Are the people expected to be sharing their food with their neighbours, greeting and kissing their neighbours along the corridors?
As a country and community, what is expected and important is for the people to feel as one people, to believe in the share destiny and common interests, to have the freedom of choice to live as one chooses, but behind all these, to stand up for the country as one united people when a situation demands it. I think this is already asking too much of the people.
Is the Survey expecting too much? Or the Survey already knows what to expect and any shortcomings would be seen as unsatisfactory?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Dream crumbling, what about the Singapore Dream?

One of the key features of the American Dream is to own a home with a little white fencing around it. This is becoming elusive to many Americans. To make matters worse, they are ‘more than a quarter of all home owners owing more on their mortgages than their properties are worth,’ according to an article in the ST today.

Many Sinkies are smiling, our Singapore Dream is still ok. Many are home owners, never mind that it does not sit on a piece of land or has a white fencing running around it. It is still home in the air. During the last financial crisis, quite a number of Sinkies ended up in the same fate as the quarter of American home owners, with negative assets, ie owing more than the value of the properties they owned.

Is the situation better now? The first fallacy is that the Sinkies think they are home owners when they have a 30 year mortgage to service and all they paid was 10% or 20% of the property. Wise up, get real, you only become a home owner when you fully paid up the mortgage, or for those who have the ability to pay all, or on the last few years of their mortgages, the Singapore Dream of homeownership is there or nearly there. Many are just servicing their mortgages while the ownership of their properties is with the lenders, the banks.

The next fallacy which many take for granted is that it is a lease. Even after paying up the mortgages, the lease would only have a remaining life of 69 years and getting shorter every year. Homeownership of a 99 year lease is a temporary ownership, a lease is a lease.

In another 50 years or so, the first batch of lease owners of 99 year flats will no longer be homeowners. And the pace of disowning their homes will pick up after that when we will see many Sinkies losing their homes unless they can afford to buy another lease at $2m or $3m for a 3 rm public flat.

Other than those living in freehold properties, the Singapore Dream of homeownership is, yes, a dream. It is a 99 year dream and who ever ends up living in the dying years of this dream will have to wake up to face reality.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uneasy population numbers
Our population hits 5.4m according to the latest report. Citizens make up 3.31m, PRs 530k and Non Residents 1.55m. Among the citizens the distribution of the Chinese, Malays, Indians and Others is 74.2%, 13.3%, 9.2% and 3.3%. The actual numbers of the races are 2.44m Chinese, 440k Malays, 300k Indians and 110k others.
Of the PRs and Non Residents, I am unable to get any data on the distribution among the major groups of foreigners like PRC Chinese, India Indians, Pinoys, Indonesians, Myanmese and Europeans. All I got is one number of 400k non resident Indians. This number is as big as the 440k Malays and much bigger than the 300k local Indians and the 110k Others or Eurasians. The local Eurasians alone could be less than 100k.
How big are the groupings of PRC Chinese, 400K? The Pinoys are estimated to be around 200-300K. The Myanmese near to 200k.
What do these numbers mean to our local minorities? Each of these groups can be as big as the largest minority group and much bigger than the Eurasians. The Eurasians are also an absolute minority compare to the foreigners. Soon one might not know that the Eurasians exist as their number is so small and easily overwhelmed, no longer noticeable except in Mediacorp. The India Indians are now more than the local Indians.
What would the picture be in 2030? The Malays and Indians would be absolute minorities vis a vis the foreigners like PRC Chinese, India Indians, the Pinoys and the Myanmese? Their combined numbers are now bigger than the combined numbers of Malay, Indians and Others even today, 1.55m against 850k, almost double the 850k. And the numbers did not include the 530k PRs.
How should we play this number game? Are we comfortable with numbers?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ang Hin Kee – Don’t blame external factors…
And Hin Kee, MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC, said, ‘ I have been to crowded places and seen how people accommodate one another. You have a choice. Don’t blame external factors for our behavior.’ Ang was referring to the anti social behavior of the hooligan who spat at the two female commuters and threatening to hit one of them if not stopped by a SMRT staff. Ang should experience the rush hour crowds at MRT interchange and then ask if the commuters have a choice not to be there.
I would like Ang Hin Kee to read the study on how white rats behaved when overcrowded and the comments by psychologist Joel Yang, ‘that commuters may become “increasingly angrier” and tend to react negatively to minor annoyances as Singapore’s population density increases.’ Yang also added, ‘It has been widely researched in major, densely populated cities that crowding is linked to anxiety, frustration, aggression, and inappropriate social interaction.’
Do Sinkies have a choice on whether the island should continue to get more crowded and not less? Do Sinkies have a choice on the 6.9m population planning number or the unceasing influx of foreigners here?
Ang Hin Kee said, ‘You have a choice.’ Now what this choice? Can Sinkie stop the 6.9m population from happening? Did anyone give the Sinkies a choice? Who should Sinkies blame for the crowded environment? Yes don’t blame external factors. The foreigners can only come here to flood this place because of internal factors. They are invited to be here like swarms of locusts. And Sinkies have a choice to stop this.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to flee the property market
The winds of change are always blowing. This time it has come to take the foreign property speculators away. The sharp rise in property prices over the last ten years was contributed mainly by two factors. One, a stubborn and foolish decision not to build, and two, an even more stubborn decision to let more foreigners in to buy up whatever properties that were left. It was thought to be a good thing, at least for those hoarding a lot of properties, other than the developers. Some smell self interests.
After 7 measures to cool the market and with the last one raising the cost of foreign speculators, it is starting to bite. Boon Wan had disclosed in Parliament yesterday that foreign interest in local properties had cooled. From 1,400 units sold per quarter, it had fallen to 330 units per quarter. The foreigners are starting to flee the property market.
The other factor of not building has also been reversed with a projection of an over supply situation in the next few years after the ramping exercise. The factors contributing to the rise have been reversed. The fall in property prices is only a matter of time and how much will it fall. The other question is how much will the govt allow it to fall and at what level will it be sustainable or ‘affordable’ with a new definition?
Should the buyers of properties start to hold back or start to sell before the impending fall? The dumb explanation that it is all market forces is falling flat on its face. It is all about good governance and about bad governance, about managing for inflation and about managing for sustainability.
Where would the property market head to? What would be the new explanation of a rising or falling property market?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lesson from Saudi Arabia
Tons of rubbish not cleared as foreign workers fled the country. After years of lax immigration and an influx of foreign workers to take over the low skill and manual work that were shun by the locals, Saudi Arabia has started to close the door. The rise of nationalistic fervor and intolerance of the huge foreign presence have led to vigilante groups attacking foreigners, amnesty for the illegals that owned up, while many fled or went into hiding. Many manual jobs were left unattended and the cleaning of the cities went to a halt.
What is happening in Saudi Arabia is a glimpse of what can happen here and worse. The Saudi lost their low level jobs to foreigners, and when they left after the clampdown only the cleaning jobs, low skilled jobs and construction jobs were affected. We too have these jobs taken over by the foreigners. And we also have several industries that have been cornered by foreigners to the extent that they are the new foreigner core, replacing the Sinkie core. Should they leave for whatever reasons, the hole is going to be very big and very damaging to our industries.
The risk of foreigners controlling some of our vital industries is very high given the irresponsible and thoughtless policy of opening our legs without thinking of any protection. Other than the risk of their departure, even if they stayed, the risk of them doing monkey business at our expense is also very high. And there are also the social and health risks with the latter posing a danger that can strike without much warning. We have experienced several health epidemics recently and TB is on the rise. Our compact living and our public transportation will facilitate the spread of diseases much more quickly and very difficult to control.
Saudi Arabia is a lesson and a pre warning to be pro active, to anticipate what is coming. It is a free lesson that must be taken seriously. Can we see what is coming? I have my doubts. The money is good. The GDP is growing. Nothing else matters.
Can a country be dependent on foreigners for all its needs, including essentials, core businesses and security matters?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Master Plan for 500,000 new homes
This new Master Plan is called a draft Master Plan. Well, it is the new Master Plan for the next 10 to 15 years, or between 2023 to 2028. Would it make any difference if it is a draft or not a draft plan? At 4 persons per new homes, this plan can comfortably accommodate another 2 million residents.
The PWP of 6.9m is for year 2030 and for an increase in population from 5.3m, or an increase of 1.6m in 17 years time. So the two plans seem to be complementary to each other. Some may want to quibble why 7.4m (5.4m +2m) in 2028 and not 6.9m in 2030? Let’s not split hair (or split cables) over such a small discrepancy.
Many Sinkies must be salivating at this prospect, looking forward to such great places to live and play. And being public housing, they will definitely be sold at a discount from market prices, or with a generous dose of subsidies. The future is surely looking so rosy. Boon Wan is planning well ahead.
Let me make a guesstimate of the prices of HDB flats in Holland V in year 2023. If the price is going to double in ten years, each unit of a 4rm flat should easily be around $1.2m at least, conservatively. But not to worry, the income of Sinkies should also be double or triple by then, so these flats would definitely be affordable, or the govt will make them affordable.
I can only dream, for by then I dunno where would I be. The fortunate young Sinkies would be the future proud owners of these dream homes and living a great life, gracious living among 7m people.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sampan mentality
The nearly doubling of the population, the hospital bed crunch, the housing shortage, the employment problems of PMETs, the jams on the roads, the overloading of the trains, the crowds of restless foreigners on weekends, are not things that happened like the flash of lightning. They are built up day by day over a long period of time, and often with known policies and intention. All you need is a calculator, no need a computer, to tell you that all these will happen if the population keeps growing at this pace by letting in immigrants.
Why is it so difficult to see these things happening? There is only one reason why all these can be missed. That reason is the sampan mentality. If one keeps thinking that one is in a sampan, one would think that there are only so many people in the sampan and no need to think too much. Everything will be manageable. The problem comes when the reality is more than a sampan. The sampan is ten times overloaded and you dunno meh? Still thinking you are in a sampan when there are more than 5m people in it and could be exceeding 6m if all the transit visitors are included you will be in trouble.
How many people are still stuck with this sampan mentality and going about merrily that the sampan can carry so many people without any problems?
If one refuses to break out from the sampan mentality and think is no problem like before, everything can be seen within arms length, how to anticipate the problems of a population that has outgrown even a cruise ship?
On one hand keeps thinking small but on the other hand keeps having megalomaniac dreams. The two dreams just won’t match. It is like dreaming big and thinking small. The sampan is simply too small and the problems too big.
Please get rid of the sampan mentality. We need an ocean going ship and the space to hold all the people and all the associated problems of a big population in a limited space. We have outgrown our sampan. Don’t believe ya?

PS. Do you know what they do in a sampan? There is always someone with a tin in his hand to scope up water creeping into the sampan and throw it out. Small problem, simple solution.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immigration door closing in Europe
A personal experience by AM Bakalar in NYT and reposted in mypaper yesterday told of the rising misgivings of having too many immigrants in European countries, not only in England and France but also in Poland.
‘You are not from here.’ This was what another Pole told him in his home town. When he replied that he was born there, the Pole said, ‘but there’s something (different) about you’. Bakalar wondered if he was becoming an immigrant in his own country. Don’t worry, many Sinkies are already having that same kind of feeling in the train, becoming a minority in their own little island.
Bakalar accepted that ‘every country has the right to control its borders and the flow of immigration’. But objected to the heightened fear of immigrants. And this was made more stark by Cameroon, the British PM, who introduced several measures to discouraged new immigrants into Britain. The British were horrified by the new immigrants exploiting the public services and benefits systems.
Nothing can compare with the monetary rewards that foreigners are reaping the moment they became Sinkies. Instant cash rewards in tens of thousands from public housing and all the subsidies for medical, education and other handouts from the generous govt that do not think why new citizens should reap instant financial rewards while some citizens are suffering in pain from deprivation of public housing and other goodies.
What kind of immigration numbers is Bakalar talking about that are alarming? The Poles, with 521,000 in Britain, are the second largest ethnic immigrants after the Indians. For a country with 60m people, it is just a drop in the ocean. We have at least half a million PRC and Indians each, a few hundred thousands of Pinoys and Myanmese here, not counting the rest. Half a million against a citizen of 3.5m is 1/7th or 14% of the population of the locals. This is not a small number to be easily brushed aside.
The social and security impact to the foreigners are starting to show signs of stress on the small population in a small piece of rock unlike Britain. When would it erupt into a major crisis is only a matter of time. Only fools will thing it will not.
The Europeans are finding the number of immigrants flowing into their countries getting unbearable and we have fools keep harping on our immigrant history and must let in more immigrants.
There don’t call Sinkies daft for nothing. The ignorance of history be several decades of not teaching the subjects in schools have created a citizenship of ignoramus who did not know when they will be booted out of their country by the sheer numbers of foreigners coming ashore. Would Singapore become a state of China, India or the USA? We have been under the British, Malaysia and Japan before. A change of nationality is not really a far fetch idea. The only difference is the pain of losing it once for all and never having it back again this time round.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the most difficult thing to find in Sin City?

Angels? No, there are plenty of them floating around, including immortals. Money, no, there are so much money floating around that some don’t even where the money is coming from but their bank accounts keeping growing. Talents? No, there are plenty of talents in Sin City, I mean the real local ones. Take a cab and you are likely to be driven around by a local talent who has lost his 5 figure job and could not find another that pays $2000. So they all end up as their own boss, driving taxis.

Foreign talents there are also plentiful, nearly 2 million of them and all happily employed, replacing the local talents. So what is so difficult to find?

Fake talents, foreign talents that have fake CVs and qualifications are a rarity. With 2 millions of them in the island, and many came from countries that are notorious and infamous for fake talents, selling degrees and dilplomas on the road sides, these fake talents must be very easy to find. Statistically, every 10 so called foreign talents, there must be at least 3 or 4 fake talents.

The problem is that these fake talents are so ingenious that they cannot be found. The latest report, a paltry 25 were found as reported in the media a couple of days back. There is another possible reason why they are so hard to find. If they are not so clever to conceal their fake qualifications, then it is proof that Sinkies are really daft that they could not outwit the fake talents and could not find them at all. Another possible answer is that they don’t even bother to try.

But all could be false assumptions and the truth is that there is really a dearth of fake talents in the city. All the foreign talents are real talents and that is why the authority is unable to find the fakes in the city. This may be another case of needing 50 man years or more to find a single fake talent. They are really a rare find.

And we can hear the official view being flouted daily, we need more foreign talents or else we will perish. Have we perished when we were 2m or 3m? Now we are 5.4m and we will perish if we don’t bring in more, 6.9m to be exact, and the truth is that it is going to be more than that. And we have many silly young things being made to write about how selfish Sinkies are in wanting this island to themselves.

We have shared this island with more than 40% foreigners. Not enough? We want them to be 90% and Sinkies become an absolute minority? The bigger countries are already crying foul for having 10% foreigners in their countries. And we are asking for more. Who’s silly idea is this? Would anyone who is so confident that this is the way to go stand up to claim ownership of it? If it is so good, be proud to tell the citizens that it is your idea and claims credit for it or gets shit in the face when things turn bad. Don’t ask naïve little children to say it is good. No sensible people would want to be lectured by little boys and girls on this.

They don’t have this phrase, ‘pai jia zi’ for nothing. Oh it means a prodigal son that squandered away his inheritance by his stupidity. Many rich families turned to dust because of ‘pai jia zi’. Countries too can be taken over by foreigners if it is run in the same way, by ‘pai jia zi’.

The COI of the Little India riot has a lesson that the police learnt the very hard way. Little India was so peaceful, crime rate so low. So they found it not necessary to have the riots police on standby until the very nice and peaceful mobs attacked. The same lesson can be superimposed on the island. All the foreigners are so peaceful and helping to grow our economy. By the time they decided to take over the island all the riot police would not be enough. And the ugly signs of these ungrateful asses and arrogant beasts are showing everyday with Sinkies being abused, insulted, threatened and beaten. And the people that could make the meaningful change are just turning the other way. And the official line is still being pandered by kids. We want more foreigners. We must not be selfish. They don’t even know that they are selling their country away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: