Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
singapore, a city for 7-8 millions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indigenous population growth

We are getting 37,000 new births last year, slightly better than the year before but still not good enough. It is still not enough to replace the attrition rate. We need more babies. Go forth and multiply.

It is easier said than done. How much does it take to bring up a child to adulthood? $250k, $500k? We have many pro family policies to encourage parents to have more children. The question is that how many can afford to bring up children to go through our expensive web of life? Everything costs money and the cost is going up very quickly. It will not come down.

Having more children is easy. But how many will be able to reach a level of comfort, by paying through the education system and quality of living, to say that life is worth living? How many will end up struggling for an existence, a life not worth living?

Come to think of it, it is better to bring in the richer foreigners to supplement our population target than to encourage the indigenous hardlanders to produce more babies and to end up living in drudgery.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open your hearts to foreigners

This statement alone is flawed and misleading. It is a misconception that Singaporeans are hostile to foreigners. Nay, all foreigners are welcomed here. There may be a few personal and individual incidents of unhappiness or irritations, but on the whole we do not exhibit xenophobic behaviour to our guests. Most fit in very well. Some even go around beating up Singaporeans and insulting them for being stupid. And the Singaporeans take in with a big smile. Some even offer the other cheek.

Last year alone we have 63,600 PRs and 17,300 new citizens, nearly 81,000. Our birth rate probably produces 35,000 to 40,000 newborns. With such a huge influx into a small pool of 3 million citizens annually, and to get away with it is a near miracle. But how long can it last? How long can relations and peaceful co existence be maintained? How long can the economy continue to grow to absorb all the people?

Shall we stop at 5.5m or 6.5m or 10m? Whatever number, the number game must come to a stop. I still find it very dangerous to think that our lifestyle and environment will not be affected if we keep on stuffing more people here. We will soon be like goldfishes gulping for air on the surface of an aquariam.

We should stop this foolish thought that we can go on and on with the help of creativity and technology. Just the roads and transportation will kill us. We are entering a stage when people will not leave their little flats as it is very costly. Driving a car to town, petrol, parking and ERPs will easily add up to $30 or $50. For those taking trains and MRT, a return trip is $3 to $5. Hey, these are money that not everyone can spare.

And all the little frills of green lungs and space for a little escape from the rat race will be gone. We may have no place to train our NS men or camps for them to stay.

Yes we can keep building higher and higher. We can build more and more roads and MRTs. For what? For who? For what kind of life and what quality of life? At what cost?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind rising rentals...

Singapore voted best city to live in for expats inspite of complains by locals of rising costs and housing. Looks like the increasing cost is not a problem to the foreign talents.

Time to raise rentals higher as the foreigners don't mind. I think the foreign students also won't mind. After all Singapore is still cheaper than other western countries and these students are probably quite rich. And for those who aren't, they are probably recipients of scholarships.

High prices good. High rentals must also be good. They are paying for quality.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A city for dogs

I wrote earlier about dogs competing for space with human beans. I just come a cross an article in the Today paper reminding readers that it is an offence to abandon dogs. And the fine is $10k. Not a small sum to commit such a crime.

I am wondering whether there is a similar act for abandoning parents or children. Just wondering. While we are going all out to protect the dogs, spare a thought for the human beans that are abandoned.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timebomb ticking

Friday � April 25, 2008

CHITRA RAJARAM
Deputy Editorial Director
chitrarajaram@mediacorp.com.sg

ARE Singaporeans racially sensitive as a society? Do we merely tolerate each other or do we really understand and care about the different races and sensitivities in our midst. While we pride ourselves as one people, one nation, one Singapore; I am not sure there is real depth of understanding at all when it comes to racial sensitivities.

My recent experience with public transport is testimony to this. I drive to work four days a week and every Friday I take taxis, sometimes even in the wee hours of the morning. I have to confess, I have been appalled at the lack of sensitivity by taxi drivers. Why? Every time I had gotten into a taxi, it was to blaring music in a language I do not understand.

The first few times, I kept quiet and endured the "noisy" journey back home. But once, after a 14-hour exhausting work day, I refused to take it any longer. When I told the driver to turn off the music, he told me he had to listen to it because it gave him traffic updates!...

As a Singaporean, I find such behaviour rude and somewhat odd. We have grown up here on the mantra of four races. We have inter-religious organisations (IROs) to build understanding and tolerance. We also have celebrations of the four main festivals....

But my experience is not uncommon in societies where there are predominantly majority societies. The hegemonic behaviours of such groups of people is not extraordinary.

But it is the minorities in these communities who perpetuate this hegemonic behaviour by adopting "paths of least resistance", one of which is silence.

Once the sounds of silence set in, then the behaviours transcend from the personal, to the state and systemic levels. Admittedly, the Government has recognised this and has provided many avenues for us to be sensitive and sensitised to our innate differences.

However, we are products of the socio-cultural systems we are born into and learn these traits in our social context, traits which are not biologically determined. So, we as a society (majority and minority) need to unlearn and reconstruct ourselves.

How? To put it simply, we need to challenge ourselves, speak up when we are uncomfortable and reconstruct the social dynamics of our society � then we will truly be one people, one nation, one Singapore.

Copyright MediaCorp Press Ltd. All rights reserved.

The above article is an early sign of the stresses building up in our society. It is good that it is being aired for if kept unspoken and unchecked, it will blow up in the most unexpected and ugly way. I have personally witnessed a few cases of citizens finding one another annoying in SMRT, and they spoke up, with their fists.

If we cannot appreciate the intensity of this tension, we should expedite it by increasing the population at a faster speed and hit our 6 mil or 7 mil target quicker. Then everything will become real for all to see and experience. Our 40 years of nation building is going to go under with this thoughtless influx of superficial residents that would want their rights to be different in our own home.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature starts its culling

The earth is getting too congested and nature has no way out but to start its culling. Tsunami, cyclones, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, droughts etc are simply nature's way of getting the excess fat away. Those people that perished must be not deserving to live. This is a tough statement to make. For if that is true, and if nature wants them out, why help?

Civilisation also has its own way to cull people. Financial crisis, recession, job losses etc are social ways of letting the less able to go. Yes, these less able people are either of bad genes or lazy or stupid, and do not deserve to exist.

For the strong and able, the rich and mighty, time to cut the crap and hypocrisies, laugh and sneer at those that can't make the cut. They have failed, it is their problems and they have themselves to be blamed. And if anyone wants to give them or show them a little kindness, that is strictly voluntary and they better appreciate it and don't ever demand.

This is the tough and cruel realities. No more niceties. The fittest survives. I think many will live by such principles and truths. No one owes anyone else a living. They have made it and others must or should also make it. If they don't or can't, it is their funerals.

And when nature has started to cull a population that is growing too big for its own good, when resources are exploited to its maximum and used up at a rate that is higher than it is able to replenish, it will lead to doomsday. Better be careful about that silly 6 mil, 7 mil or 8 mil population. Instead of going green, stop producing or increasing the population is the solution.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will they be caught?

The spate of kidnapping scam is getting to the nerves of Singaporeans. It is a traumatic experience for the older folks and those weak at heart. Has any of these bandits been caught? They are thinking that Singapore is Shanghai 1930s or are they going to turn Singapore into one?

The law enforcement officers must work doubly hard to nab them and display them in the Padang for public caning for one week, chop off their hands before deporting them. Don't be soft hearted in dealing with these bandits as the harm they intended is much more than the pains of chopped hands. Need to set a few examples as a deterrent. Let there be no mercy.

They better hurry to get rid of these pests before it gets too prevalent and others start to imitate them. It is a serious social security threat.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changing demographic pattern

'Foreign Affairs Adviser Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury yesterday said Singapore is a good destination for skilled and semi-skilled Bangladeshi workers.' I can add a few more. Singapore is a great place for Filipino, Indonesian, Indian and Sri Lankan maids. Singapore is also a good place for Chinese, Indian, Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi workers.

With Singapore becoming a haven for these third world low talent and low skill workers, the demographic pattern will soon change. I can simply divide them into two groups, the haves and the have nots. The haves will be the elite and the real foreign talents, driving around in their limousines and residing in exclusive suburbs or in the clouds. At the lower and down to earth end will be the hardlanders and the MRT squeeze with our third world workers.

After travelling in MRTs for a while, the ingenuity of nature soon makes one less sensitive to odour and human heat and sweat. Well, got to get use to life in the lower strata of society, taking public transport to work. Mind you, this is world class transport at its best. Imagine if the population continues to increase or when the aircon breaks down. Life in paradise or more accurately living in a third world haven is really great, especially if one comes from the rundown and properly kept public facilities of developing countries. Everything here is like heaven indeed.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality FTs coming

(SINGAPORE) Thousands of job cuts in US and European banks - a fallout of the sub-prime mortgage crisis - are forcing bankers in those countries to seek jobs further afield. And they are showing interest in a region still relatively insulated from the crisis: Asia, particularly Singapore.

'It used to be difficult to get any senior finance professional in the US interested in moving to Asia. Now we are getting way too much interest!'

This is the best news for Singapore. Real and quality FTs from the US are coming here. Let's start to be more selective and pick the best instead of any donkey that carry a foreign passport. This is a great opportunity for the banks to upgrade their mediocre talent pool and transform themselves into real international banks.

As for the not so talented locals or those not so talented FTs who are already here, please make way or seek employment elsewhere. The best are coming.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no mercy

A kidnap scam schemer, Ren Tin Ming, was caught and jailed for a maximum of 9 months. This is definitely too lenient. A kidnap scam is a very cruel crime against the innocents. Be it a scam or a real kidnap, the parents of the 'victim' will suffer the same agony of going through the whole ordeal.

We have placed a mandatory death sentence for kidnapping. The law must be amended for mandatory caning of at least 24 strokes for such crimes. It is not a simple scam. It is very upsetting emotionally, and very traumatic. People can die of heart attack for it.

Cane the bastards! Paradise is turning into a playground for criminals, con men and tricksters. And the victims are mostly its citizens. And the criminals are foreigners. How can we let this go on like this. Make it be known that guests to paradise are welcomed but will be severely dealt with if they violated our laws and turn to crime against the citizens.
Green Peas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always the callous, the gross and the stupid criminals that are caught
and punished. These criminals are usually lowly people who commit crimes
that usually affect a small group of victims.

The refined, clever, cunning, smart and highly intelligent criminals, dressed
themselves in white wools and hide amongst us without even being
noticed. let alone caught or punished. These criminals usually position
themselves at high places, in position of influence, and commit crimes
that usually affect a very large group of victims, sometimes the whole
population as well.

Which is more heinous?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singaporeans must demand brutal public caning

We welcome them to our shores. Open our homes to them, open our hearts to them. Give them our jobs so that they can return home and build a new and richer life. We organise picnics for them, treat them very well, feed them...What did we get in return?

Our young girls got molested in Orchard Road. And now, a young undergraduate, a possible MP or super talent, got assaulted and raped. This girl would never have been assaulted or raped if we have not opened our door to them. Our kindness is being returned by hurt and pain.

We must catch this animal and deal with him brutally, in the padang for all to see. Make him an example for all our foreign guests to know that we welcome them, but breaking our laws and assaulting Singaporeans and raping our women are tabooed. Anyone committing such heinous crimes and hurt against Singaporeans will have hell upon him. Let his cries echo all over the padang.

Let the message go down, loud and clear.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High population a permanent feature

We are now about 4.5m. And the 6.5m target is still valid. Why do we need such a huge population giving the limitation of our land and how the demands of a huge population would stress our system? Is it really good for us? Or is it just to churn our economic growth data, that we are growing economically every year? That there will be no recession?

The high level World Health Organisation who were here yesterday, also pointed to the danger of population growth. But they were probably talking out of their depth. Our supertalents have it all worked out. We will not have any unsolvable problems with higher population. Just raise higher ERP charges, or erect more of them. And the higher rentals or property prices will be good. Water, where got problem. Roads, can built more, up and below, and driving or transportation will just cost a little more.

The more than a million foreigners here, working, studying or living will be a permanent feature. They will not go away or cannot go away. Our economy and social infrastructure will suffer a big blow if they depart. We are now dependent on them for our economic growth and vitality. Just imagine 1 mil people disappear tomorrow? Empty flats and houses, empty offices, empty shopping centres and food courts. And MRT and buses will be half empty. Serious problems.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reasons to welcome more foreign talents

The PRs are helping to drive up the prices of resale flats. HDB owners are going to reap a handsome profit from selling their flats. Those who are not selling can rent their flats at higher prices. A 4 rm flat used to fetch $1000 pm in rental can now fetch $2000. So the oldies can forget about the CPF Life Insurance as they are assured of a $2000 income a month and can even get more. This is shielded from inflation unlike the money stuck in CPF. When inflation goes up, the rental will go up as well.

Let's welcome the foreign talents. The more the merrier. And with HDB prices going up, private property owners can see their properties appreciate as well. Oh, just a little catch. Where are the HDB sellers going to stay if they sell their flats? Would they end up with a bigger boulder tied around their necks when they upgrade to more expensive private properties?
Green Peas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we should all welcome as many foreigners as possible. We should increase our population to 10 million instead of restricting to only 6.5 million. The more the merrier. That would be good for Sinkapore to live up to its upcoming new name, i.e.

SINK-A-POOR!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: