Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Speak Your Mind, Singapore!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Singapore a state of the USA?
The media has reported widely about the corruption case involving Keppel O&M and a Brazilian company. And somehow the US Justice Dept is the authority on this case as if it has jurisdiction over Keppel O&M operating in Brazil or jurisdiction over commercial crimes in Brazil. Below are some details of the case posted by Kenneth Jeyaretnam in TRE.
‘Quietly over Christmas the US Justice Department announced that it had reached a deferred prosecution agreement with Keppel Offshore and Marine. Under the agreement Keppel O & M, a unit of Keppel Corp, will pay $422 million to resolve charges that it paid $55 million in bribes to Brazilian politicians to win business from the state oil company Petrobras, an offence under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
According to the WSJ, “Keppel admitted in court documents that it paid about $55 million in bribes to officials at Brazilian state-owned oil company Petróleo Brasileiro and the then-governing party in Brazil from 2001 to 2014 to win 13 contracts with Petrobras, as the company is also known, and another company. It paid the bribes through outsize commissions to an intermediary, who in turn made payments to the officials and the political party, prosecutors said.”’
Keppel O&M committed an offence under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act? OK, one of the parties involved in the corruption is a US citizen. This person could be charged under US law. Does this mean that Keppel O&M, a Singaporean company operating, maybe registered in Brazil would also come under an American Law, governed by an American Law? How could this be? How could this happen? Is Singapore or Brazil a subject member of the American Empire that an American Law can be applied over them?
I can’t believe this. This is just like the Americans legislating a law to conduct relations with Taiwan and telling China to obey and respect this American Law. Like that the Americans can fabricate all kinds of laws to govern all the countries in the world.
Can other countries also legislate laws to govern citizens and organisations of other countries including American citizens and corporations? Can China, Russia or Singapore come out with their own Foreign corrupt Practices Act to apply to everyone, including Americans?
If the crime of Keppel O&M were committed in US territory, there is no question about US jurisdiction. This offence was committed in Brazil, why would Keppel O&M subject itself to American laws and sheepishly and willingly admit to the crime, accept the fines of an American court?
I don’t see why Keppel O&M should submit itself to American jurisdiction, to be judged by the American courts, with no objection, no protest as if this is a right and normal thing to do, and so happy about it. Are Singaporeans subjects of the American Empire?
The American Empire rules! Singapore has to accept the rule of the American Empire? Singapore and Brazil are sovereign states, not states within the USA.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore - A proud British colony
Singapore is a proud ex British colony, is going to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the colonisation of Singapore by the British in a big way. While many ex colonies have erased everything they could from their humiliating past under the rule of colonial masters, with names like Calcutta, Bombay, Goa etc totally wiped out, Singapore retains and cherishes all the ex colonial trimmings in the island and often glorifies them. Stamford Raffles was dearly embarrassed as the white god that founded Singapore. The statestimereview has reported, "Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also announced that he will be having an undisclosed budget to “celebrate” 200th anniversary of British colonisation of Singapore in 1819:
“We should commemorate this bicentennial appropriately, just as we marked the 150th anniversary in 1969. It is an important milestone for Singapore; an occasion for us to reflect on how our nation came into being, how we have come this far since, and how we can go forward together.”

1819 is indeed an important milestone in the history of Singapore. The colonisation of Singapore by the British that then turned it into its colonial outpost and commercial headquarter for ruling SE Asia was the event that transformed Singapore from a fishing village to a commercial hub, a thriving entrepot of the day. That was the foundation that contributed to what Singapore is today.
Many Singaporeans remember and cherish that day they read in British written history books when Singapore was colonised as a glorious day. The reason must be that without the British landing here to rob the island from the native ruler Singapore would not be what it is today. A point to note here is that Singapore was returned to the native rulers when Singapore became part of Malaysia. The British in a way handed back Singapore to the Malay rulers in 1963 to square the score. The robbing of Singapore from the native ruler ended on that day.
With a twist of fate, the Malay rulers gave their blessing for Singapore to be an independent state to start a new chapter from a clean slate. In 1965, Singapore became an independent country, not robbed or stolen from Malaysia. The leaders of both states signed an agreement without a gun pointing at their heads.
In terms of significance, 1965 is more important to Singapore as an independent nation than 1819 when it became a British colony. Singapore became a free independent country with the blessing of Malaysia, no more stolen by British raj from the Malay rulers. 1819 was a milestone, a watershed in that it was colonised by the British, similar to the colonisation of Syonan-to by Imperial Japan in 1941. They are historical milestones of Singapore's history. Singaporeans should remember these dates, 1819, 1941, 1959, 1963 and 1965 and earlier days that predates to the time of the Sri Vijaya Empire and Parameswara. I hope Singapore would never think of celebrating 1941 just like naming the Ford Museum as Syonan Museum. There are days of glory and days of infamy and both must be treated accordingly.
1819 is controversial. Was it a day of glory to be celebrated in a big way or a day of infamy to be remembered dearly? The white Americans remember the landing of Columbus in America as a day of discovery, Thanksgiving Day, a day to be celebrated for conquering a new land. The American natives remember it as a day of infamy, a day when their forebears were massacred by the Europeans and their land stolen from them. The natives of America would not celebrate Thanksgiving Day. That day their land was stolen by the white invaders and their forefathers killed! They knew their history. They remember the day they lost their country and the massacre.
Singaporeans must know our history from our own perspective, not from the perspective of the colonial masters. The sillies would still have fond memories of singing God save the king or the queen and think affectionately of the times when they were British subjects and longed to be British subjects once again. Wait till they lose this country once again and become boat people, then they will know what it is like to be stateless.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasy story – The elusive secret of winning in sports
Singapore wants to be in the World Cup final. Singapore wants to win Olympic gold medals. Finally one came in the last Olympic Game by courtesy of Joseph Schooling, trained in the USA with the USA claiming the credit. Oops, Singapore is also claiming the credit. Other than this flash in the pan moment, no more golds, no World Cup finals, while other smaller and poorer countries are flashing their Olympic gold medals on their chests and being in the World Cup finals.
What went wrong? Every few years Singapore would brag about hiring the best coaches that would bring in the golds but the story always ended with duck eggs. What is this secret of all secrets that Singapore is unable to decipher, with all the money in its pocket, to win some glories for glory hunger Singapore?
It is reported that Singapore has engaged another great coach in a Stephan Widmer for the swimmers. Hope he will concentrate on training the coaches. He is not supposed to train the swimmers. Hope he would not be involved in political fightings among the athletes and coaches and do the things he is paid for, ie coaching. Better remind him before he starts work or else he would think it is part of his job, to play with local sports politics.
Yes, this new coach has many secret strategies for success, eg, ‘He is someone who has to learn how to travel, how to go through time zones, how to adapt to different conditions as quickly as possible’ or ‘So we sent him to some (Fina) World Cup events last August because the only way to gain this experience is to go through it. You can’t read this stuff out of a book’. Wow, revealing great secrets for success. KNN how come our daft coaches did not know of such great stuff that I also know?
Widmer came with a five pronged strategy, to include athletes, competitions, support staff, parents and coaches. I think this will guarantee to bring in more golds. Privately I know that it would end up just like before, more duck eggs. Oops, oops, should not have said such negative things.
Seriously, what we need is a miracle or a miracle coach. Is this Widmer a miracle coach, someone that can produce miracles? But he is telling so many things that our coaches did not know or previous international hires did not know.
PS. Without the right material, without the willingness and commitment to do three times more than what other athletes are doing, you can only dream of gold medals, even with the most expensive coaches.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia day, what has it got to do with 1819?
Yesterday the white Australians celebrated Australia Day, the day the white Europeans invaded Australia and robbed the aborigines of their land and their culture. The white Australians are damn proud of this day. They would tell you about the brutal massacre of the aborigines when they invaded this land. While the original natives of Australia opposed this day as a day of joy and celebration, the recalcitrant PM Malcolm Turnbull refused to budge, claiming that ‘It’s a day that should unite us…I think Australia Day has become a great national celebration of everything that is magnificent and wonderful and unique about Australia. We should cherish it.’ Were genocide magnificent and wonderful? What about the robbing of the land from the natives? Such insensitive and arrogance of the white Australians were repeated by former PM Tony Abbott who said, ‘What happened on the 26th of January 1788 was on balance, for everyone, Aboriginal people included, a good thing.’ Quotes from an article by Jonathan Pearlman in the ST on 26 Jan 18.
To the aboriginal people of Australia, 26 Jan ‘is a day of mourning and protest’. To them it is a day that ‘marks the beginning of a destructive period with consequences lasting till this day.’ According to an indigenous leader, a Pastor Ray Minniecon, ‘It was a deliberate invasion of our people,…The massacres, the genocides of our peoples from this country and we’re still suffering form the aftermath of that brutal history.’
The celebration of Australia Day, similar to the Americans celebrating Thanks Giving Day or the day Columbus invaded America and did the same cruel things to the native Americans, would never be celebrated by the natives that were massacred and robbed of their land.
Singapore is going to celebrate the bicentennial of 1819 in less than a year. What does this date signify to the people of Singapore? Is it a day for celebration like what the white Australians are celebrating the Australia Day? Or is it a day to remember how the white colonialists came to Singapore and claimed it as theirs? Stamford Raffles proudly proclaimed that he had founded Singapore for the British Empire! Were there massacres of the natives when Raffles landed, or he just took the land as a part of the British Empire?
What would Singapore and Singaporeans be celebrating comes 2019? Some may be thankful to the British for their good life here today. Their poor immigrant forebears were given a chance to live here. But their forebears would not have to be so desperate if the European colonialists did not invade their home countries and looted everything, resulting in extreme poverty and forcing them to leave their mother land. For the few forebears that survived, many perished in their homeland, along the journey in rickety boats to reach Singapore, many died in oblivion while trying to work and to live as decent beans, all because of colonial conquest of their mother land, just like the natives of Australia and other conquered land.
It is important to know your history or you will be worshipping murderers, thieves and gangsters.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Singaporeans were to decide or elect their PM – Tharman it shall be
Below is an extract from a post about the curious case of a wildly popular politician by a Augustine Low posted in the TRE on Tharman.
“Tharman Shanmugaratnam is a one-of-a-kind politician. He has more ardent fans than any other. Netizens have long clamoured for him to be Prime Minister. Even critics of the PAP have heaped praise on him.
Yet Tharman never sought adulation. On the contrary he seemed discomfited by it and has done his best to deflect attention, protesting “I’m not the man for PM. I say that categorically. It’s not me . . . I know myself, I know what I can do, and it’s not me.”….
How cool is that – a poet and a David Bowie fan who became a Deputy Prime Minister?
The supremely smart and brainy side of Tharman is most apparent to people. He has a sterling record as Finance Minister and is the first Asian to chair the G-30 – a prestigious global body of top financial experts. He has also been named Finance Minister of the Year by Euromoney magazine.
For someone who is not attention-seeking or rhetoric-driven, who is in fact diffident at times, he actually has a great common touch and rapport with citizens. In the 2015 general election, Tharman outperformed all others, securing 79.3% of the votes for Jurong GRC….
In fact there are a surprising number of people who still harbour hopes of Tharman being Prime Minister. It may be wishful thinking. But it just goes to show that Singaporeans are not looking for sound and fury in their leader, for someone who is ever generous with promises. Rather, Singaporeans are dying for someone who is smart yet straight talking and sincere, and whose imperfections make him all the more human and relatable.”
If Singaporeans were to elect their PM, Tharman will win hands down. Unfortunately Singaporeans do not have this right to vote and elect a PM of their choice. The PAP elite, the inner circle, or is it one man, will decide who will be the PM of Singapore. Singaporeans have been living with this myth for a long time, that the electoral system allows them to elect the PM. No, never will they be allowed to choose or elect their PM. The PM is not the people’s choice, then, now and going forward under the current system.
In the same sense, Singaporeans did not and will not elect a President of their choice though they think they did. The system has excluded the people’s president and allowed the ruling govt to decide who the Singaporeans can elect as the president in a small pool of you know who.
But if providence would have its way, Tharman looks set to be the next PM. All the factors and schemings are working in his favour. The more they schemed the more likely Tharman would become the PM.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2020 GE is a conscious choice if the people still want to go alonng with the PAP

The govt will raise goods and services tax (GST) from 7% to 9% sometime between 2021 and 2025. This is to help fund growing expenditure in areas like security, healthcare and other social spending.

2021 is the year when the PAP may decide to raise the GST. Why 2021? 2020 is likely the election year and the people will have to decide if they still want the PAP in charge. The 2020 GE is critical as it will affirm and confirm the choice of the people, meaning that the people do not mind the hike in GST to 9%. It will be a mandate for the PAP to do whatever it intends or proposes to do. GST hike is just one of them. The taxes raised, among other things, would be channelled to more foreigners to increase the population and thus more infrastructure needs. Hopefully the compulsory Eldershield, which is likely to be another profit making scheme has not been forced down onto the people and the people also have the chance to decide on this issue.

The PAP is holding back the GST hike to after the GE not without reasons and concerns. Raising the GST before the GE is as good as casting the die and there is no room to manouvre. The people will feel the impact of the hike and will vote according to how the hike affect them. By delaying, the people would still be kept in a quandary, not sure whether it would be raised. The hike would also be an issue in the GE and the PAP would be able to feel the reactions of the people. Despite all the crap talks that the GST is good for the people, all the taxes are good for the people, the PAP is still cautious that this could the bridge too far.

A big vote of approval would mean that the hike is accepted by the people and will be raised. A big fall in popular vote would have the PAP thinking if the hike should go ahead or to go ahead with the risk of losing more votes.

The people are given an option, an opportunity to vote for the GST hike in 2020. It would be their decision and after the GE they should live with it.The PAP is not taking the risk to raise the GST first and hope for the best or come what may. They knew that this is very painful on the people, especially the lower income group as the hike would affect everything and the cost living.

The 2020 GE is a gauge as to how far would the PAP go to raise more taxes, to bring in more foreigners and all the unpopular and extravagant policies and projects.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A deep distrust with the PAP government – and the time to think, act and vote differently

“We have a greedy and insecure Govt that hoards, amasses wealth for its own good. And with a deluded and deceptive syndrome (like a bee in your bonnet) that “there is never enough”, backing reasons like “country with no natural resources” and citing policies “to benefit the poor and marginalised”.
Really! We have gone pass that years ago!
As long as we have our uncles and aunties cleaning toilets, floors and tables in the food centres when they should be enjoying the twilight years, and the complete contrast of high ministerial/public servants salaries, how do you account for that or even justify? Where is the improved livelihood?....
There is now a deep distrust with the pap Govt. It’s time for us to think, act and courageously vote differently at the ballot box.
We must stop the self-deluded and self-destructive excuse that there ain’t enough talent in Singapore, or in other political parties other than the People’s Action Party (PAP). We are Singaporeans, all the same, no different from the other.
Observe closely. We have a Law/Home Affairs minister who continues to conjure up every conceivable law to police our country with its intention to police our minds. Where is this directive from or is he acting on his own?...”
James Martin Aruldoss

The above appeared in TRE. This sense of distrust is growing while those in power are oblivious to it. They did not see anything wrong with what they are doing. They cannot see anything wrong with their compulsory schemes to rob the people of their CPF savings in ‘profit making’ insurance schemes. I will continue to say that the compulsory schemes are ‘profit making’ until the govt comes out to state categorically that they are not and all cumulated funds collected that were not paid out would be returned to the contributors to the compulsory schemes. It is morally unacceptable and wrong to use the law to compel the citizens to buy compulsory insurance policies that are ‘profit making’ in nature.
These are not the only things they could not see wrong. The flooding of the island with millions of foreigners to steal the jobs of Singaporeans and forcing many Singaporeans out of job is good for the people, provide jobs for the Singaporeans, so they claimed. They don’t care. To them the PMETs losing their jobs is normal, acceptable and they are to be blamed. To those who lost their jobs, their families suffered with them.
The wasting of tax payers’ money to fund foreign students in our tertiary institutions is robbing the people’s hard earned money, paid as taxes, to benefit foreigners that have nothing to do with us. This too they could not see anything wrong with it. The sum spent is not just hundreds of millions.
The bullying of opposition politicians to them is being very clever, listen to their clever arguments. The people are saying you know what to such childish antics. They could not see anything wrong with it.
And some jokers even asked how to regain trust of the people! The jokers that cannot understand what is wrong with what they are doing to the country and people would surely not find the answer. Please forgive them for they know not what they are doing. Ignorance is an excuse and good reason to forgive.
The thing is that the trust will get thinner and thinner if they refuse to look at themselves and the big hole they are digging for themselves. I have read in the social media saying that some day some may be put behind bars when a new govt comes to power. How true would this be would depend on how the new govt uses or abuses their power to deal with their political enemies. What goes around would come around. The govt must not set bad precedence for future govt to follow. Future govts can behave like thugs if they think they could get away with it.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanmugam the real PM?
In an article in thestatestimesreview titled ‘Singapore’s real PM is K Shanmugam, not Lee Hsien Loong’, Alex Tan has an interesting read on the political development in Singapore. Of course this is just his opinion. I would take a different view on this, but here are some paragraphs from the article.
‘Like the Chinese dynasty history where rouge Prime Ministers controlled their puppet emperors, Singapore’s Law Minister K Shanmugam has a similar rein over the weak Prime Minister. It certainly doesn’t help with Lee Hsien Loong being ...fickle-minded, but a blanket silence on the furious debates raging in the recent headlines only goes to show the extent of his impotence….
Spend money? Lee Hsien Loong and Ho Ching is there. Raise taxes? Heng Swee Keat will take care of it. Day-to-day government affairs? Leave it to the Law Minister.
This begs the question: Who is then the real Prime Minister?....
Welding two heavyweight ministerial profiles, Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam wrote his own green paper, sat in his own Select Committee and now he is going to enact new his own censorship laws. He went to Parliament calling Sylvia Lim “dishonest” and slithered away when facts proved him wrong. The same snake of a minister wrote new laws allowing policemen to lethally shoot protesters, strip search women, and give himself extra-judiciary powers to ban media and communication.
K Shanmugam is no longer only a Law Minister, his new lawless powers made him the new dictator of Singapore – surpassing the PM and his two deputy PMs. Lee Hsien Loong is only as relevant as Halimah Yacob, his premiership is just ceremonial while the one in full power is the Law Minister.
Lee Hsien Loong may be stepping down, but everyone is asking the wrong question who is the actual one in power. The likely PM successor, Minister Chan Chun Sing, will be just another puppet to K Shanmugam.’

My point that differs from Alex Tan is that what Hsien Loong is doing is about delegation of duties. With all the ministers being paid millions, how can they not be expected to assume full duties and responsibilities in their minstries? And these are not your normal average people, they are super super talents and not allowing them to do their jobs would be a disservice and injustice to their super super talents.
Hsien Loong is doing the right thing by making them work and not sitting on their butts. Shanmugam is seen as doing a lot of work simply because he has two minstries under him. So he has to work harder and the unquestionable talent to go with it.
Of course there would be people who would question the danger of too much power given to one man, in Shanmugam, and the risk that he could usurp his power to be the real or de facto PM. The possibility is there, but Hsien Loong is in full control and would not allow it to happen. The two DPMs knew, and the 4th generation leaders also knew that Hsien Loong is the one calling the shot.
Shanmugam would not be the next PM even if Alex Tan thinks he is wielding too much power as a minister versus his other colleagues, even the DPMs. It looks that way but this is only an impression. What is the real politikings behind the scene only Hsien Loong knows. He is the PM and he is in charge.
OK both views are just opinions. Please don’t label them as fake news. Everyone is entitled to his view and opinion. You guys reading can have yours as well, and very different from the two of us.
I am not sure what those fake news control freaks would be thinking. They all look so innocent and holy. You know a devil when you see one.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hundred Flowers Movement Revisited 百花运动

In 1957, Mao Zedong was so confident in the correctness of his socialist ways encouraged the people to speak out, to criticise the govt, believing that the criticism would lead to more progress and a better govt. Thus the Hundred Flowers Movement was launched with the full backing of Mao himself. Let a hundred flowers bloom. In his own words, Mao said, "Our society cannot back down, it could only progress... criticism of the bureaucracy is pushing the government towards the better." The speech indeed was to encourage the people to speak out, vent their criticisms and frustration as long as they were constructive and not hateful and destructive.

The silent intellectuals, the frustrated intellectuals, and those that opposed the way communism was introduced to run the China honestly believed that Mao was sincere and wanted to hear them, wanted their honest opinions on how best to run a country. They fired away in all honesty and sincerity. Never did they think that the movement was a red herring, a test balloon. The intelligentsia got carried away and the criticisms of the govt went too far and became unbearable.

Mao ordered a crackdown that ran for several years and all those that spoke out were arrested and sent to labour camps to reflect and to correct their errorneous thoughts. Many died in the process. Many were condemned for life.

In all honesty, Mao was sincere when he launched the Movement, confident that he was right and the criticisms would lead to more progress and a better govt. He did not set a trap from the start to lure the innocent intelligentsia to speak out and exposed themselves to be arrested. He did so only when the attack became too damaging to his govt and his authority to rule.

The moral of the story is that when a dictator encouraged the masses to speak out, the masses must speak out but must also know what to speak out and what not to speak out. Say what the dictator wants to hear, not what they want the dictator to hear. They must also know the difference between an honest campaign inviting suggestions and a test balloon to trick them stand up and give themselves away for prosecution and arrest and hard labour. The intelligentsia then were just too naive and were taken in.

People who did not know history or learn from the mistakes in history would be condemned to make the same mistakes and bury themselves only to verify that history would repeat itself with their folly.

Thank you very much for a precious but painful lesson in history.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is National Service and the defence of Singapore still relevant?

Ah Peng Kia:

May 4, 2018 at 8:28 am (Quote)

Gone are the days when we feel pride for our country and are prepared to defend our nation so our families can enjoy liberty. What liberty is there today? You cannot even voice your disagreement without this government trying to character assassinate you (Thum PJ), bankrupt you (Roy Ngerng) or criminalising you (Amos).
What nation is there to defend when the government opens the doors to foreigners to take good jobs, and then tell you you are lazy, unskilled, or incapable?
What country do we have where our hard earned retirement savings are not ours, and can be locked up for longer and longer periods, and worse, get sucked away by all kinds of schemes and rocket high social housing prices?
And the writer is correct, why do MPs and Ministers get to be paid millions to “serve” the nation while our young sons are given peanuts for allowance to be subject to abuse by immature officers, are expected to risk their lives with “realistic training”, and even have their welfare or dignity robbed by this inept conscription system?

The above comment is in response to an article by Benny Chen in a post in the TRE titled National Service has lost its meaning. Benny ended his article with this remark, ''Our local boys are exposed to life threatening risks, low pay and poor compensation while foreigners have it all? Since the country no longer values local is very much pro foreigners, NS should either be paid market rate or be scrapped. We don’t want to risk our lives to protect ministers, elites, foreigners, PRs and new citizens for nothing!!!

Do you agree?''

I was thinking something alone the same line, that with the country being invaded by foreigners brought in by the govt, by now more than 60% of the locals are foreigners or new citizens, what is there to defend? An army is first and foremost to protect the country from being taken over by foreigners, to protect the citizens and their way of life, their jobs, their safety and security.

With more than 60% of the locals being foreigners, the foreigners have successfully taken over the country. They are everywhere, taking over the good jobs from the citizens, even given free scholarships while the citizens have to beg their parents to pay for their education by using their life savings in the CPF or selling their homes. Some have to take loans or do part time jobs to support themselves.

And the safety and security of the citizens are violated and put to risk with so many strangers and foreigners living in their midst in the heartland, with unknown background and character and soundness of mind.

What is there to defend when the country is already taken over, or given to the foreigners? What is NS and citizenship when the word 'citizen' is taboo, not to be mentioned, like a 4 letter word. The new word of pride is 'local', given more rights and privileges than citizens, no need to do NS.

The army and NS is totally irrelevant when a country is no longer a country, when there is no citizen but only locals, a term that includes foreigners that are easily converted to citizens and PRs.

What do you think? I share all the points raised by Benny Chen and the commentators of his post in the TRE. Singaporeans have lost their country without firing a bullet. What is there to defend, ''to protect ministers, elites, foreigners, PRs and new citizens for nothing!!!''
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSR - An undiplomatic request through 'diplomatic' channel
"SINGAPORE: Singapore has requested that the Malaysian Government clarify its position on the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore high-speed rail (HSR) project, Minister for Transport Khaw Boon Wan said in a statement on Friday (Jun 1).

He said that Singapore made this request through "diplomatic channels" following media reports of Malaysia's decision to terminate the project. He also said that Singapore would exercise its rights to compensation if the project was terminated.

"We have informed the Malaysian Government that Singapore is continuing to incur costs on this project as it awaits Malaysia’s clarification, and that in the event Malaysia terminates the project, Singapore will study the implications and exercise our rights (including any right to compensation for expenses incurred) in accordance with the terms of the HSR bilateral agreement," said Mr Khaw."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-asks-malaysia-to-clarify-position-on-kl-singapore-hsr-10315158

The above is the request made by Singapore to Malaysia on their unilateral cancellation of the project, without consulting Singapore. It was a rather rude and undiplomatic way to cancel a major contract between two states, in the style of Donald Trump. Singapore is offended for sure. Not a whisper and just say no and that's it.

To be fair to Mahathir, he was not targeting, Singapore was not his main concern. His has to cancel the project because he was going after Najib. Singapore's reaction in the media, calling it through 'diplomatic channels' is as undiplomatic as the undiplomatic diplomats attacking China openly on the South China Sea island dispute with the Philippines only to back down when China slammed them real hard.

The content in the media is as good as telling Mahathir to explain, and Singapore would not take his one sided decision as final, and would continue to work on the project and billed him should the project be finally cancelled. Is this diplomatic? How would Mahathir react to such a public spat?

Yes, this is going to become a public spat. And the last thing Singapore needs is another public cross border spat with Malaysia. Mahathir has shown his middle finger to the Americans as well as you know who. In this case, Mahathir see no one up and he may simply throw the project file into a corner of his room for the next two years without looking at it. What can Singapore do about it? Go to the ICJ and start another international litigation process?

If Singapore treasures its good relations with Malaysia, it is best to deal with this case between the ministries, and not under the spotlight. What good is it to Singapore to show that it has balls and standing up to Malaysia and Mahathir? Do not be surprise that Singapore may come out and say, for good relations between the two states, Singapore would waive all compensation for the work done on the project and say it would renegotiate with the future govt when things are favourable.

But fighting cocks are fighting cocks and cannot resist a fight. Another show is brewing. Just wait for Mahathir to open his mouth on this. Rubbing up Mahathir the wrong way is not helpful at this point in time. Lim Guan Eng has diplomatically said that the project may be revived in the future. But to demand Mahathir to explain in the media and telling him Singapore would not take no for an answer without explanation is totally unnecessary and provocative.

And this was what Lim Eng Guan advised Singapore, diplomatically.

"Let him (Mahathir) move at his own pace," added Mr Lim. "I'm sure I'll get the necessary directions when it's ready. You don't pressure the Malaysian prime minister."

Mr Lim said that Malaysia "understand(s) the sensitivity ... that the cancellation of these projects has cost to neighbouring countries". CNA
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invasion Day

"Even Australia Day, the national day of the country, is set to commemorate the arrival of the first fleet of British ships at a Sydney port on January 26, 1788, which marks the beginning of Europe's immigration to Australia.

But the white Australians seemed to have overlooked one thing - for indigenous Australians, the day also marks the beginning of an 'invasion'."

Anonymous posted this comment. The British and the other European colonial empires called the day they invaded a country as the Founding Day or National Day or Thanks Giving Day. Christopher Columbus landed in America and called himself the founder of North America and that day is now celebrated unashamingly as Thanks Giving Day by the white European Americans. The native Americans called it a day of invasion and condemned that day. For on that day the Europeans invaded their land, killed them and took away their land. This is the same as in Australia and other European occupied countries like Canada and New Zealand and many others.

Singapore also has such a day that the stupid happily celebrated as the founding of Singapore by Stanford Raffles. In truth it was the day that the British colonialist invaded the island and claimed it as their own.

Would Singapore and all the countries that were invaded by the colonialists marked that day as the Day of Invasion by the colonialists? 200 years ago on that day Stanford Raffles came. This year Singapore govt is going to celebrate that day in a big way, as the day Singapore was founded by the British pirates or invaders.

What do you think? Should that day be celebrated like a National Day, Independence Day or Invasion Day? Malaysia, India and so many Asian and African countries, would they think about the real significance and meaning of their respective 'founding day' and called it as it really was, Invasion Day?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A role model hardworking MP, minister, lawyer
The TRE posted this on Edwin Tong with the heading “Minister Tong: Singaporean will become lazy if we give more.”
“In a state media interview with CNA, Senior Minister of State Edwin Tong said that the government is not giving more to Singaporeans because the people will become lazy:
“I’ve seen the experiences of the Western countries where the more you give, the more one asks and I think that’s really the start of the erosion of the work ethic that Singaporeans have. Once we start giving, we can’t scale back. You look at our country. We have nothing but our people. If we erode the competency of the workforce and we introduce a policy that undermines the work ethic, I think that’s going to be a big problem for us as a country.”
The corrupted millionaire PAP Minister who drew an undisclosed amount from a S$20 million lawsuit defending City Harvest Church fraud pastor Kong Hee, concurrently sat as the Deputy Chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) for Home Affairs and Law. The GPC recommends only a heavier sentencing for senior management of charities after the sentencing of Kong Hee ended. Thanks to his minister-lawyer, Pastor Kong Hee ended up with only a 3.5 years jail term despite misappropriating S$50 million for his wife’s doomed singing career…”

I disagree with TRE on two points. Firstly, Edwin Tong is not a ‘corrupted millionaire’. He is very rich because he is very hardworking unlike the lazy Singaporeans waiting for govt handouts. Just imagine how hard this Edwin Tong is working, being a very busy MP/minister having to attend Meet the People’s Session, Walkabouts and attending Parliament Sessions, he is also a highly demand lawyer with many court cases to attend. And I am very sure he also has tens of hats to wear as heads of this or that company or organisations or association.
Edwin Tong and his kind are role models for lazy Singaporeans to emulate if they want to become millionaires without being corrupted.

Edwin Tong’s ‘millions’ earned from the City Harvest Church lawsuit is entirely due to his expertise and he deserved every cent he earns from being Kong Hee’s lawyer. And he has done well to keep Kong Hee’s prison sentence to only “a 3.5 years jail term despite misappropriating S$50 million for his wife’s doomed singing career…” This is money well earned. There is absolutely nothing wrong with earning this kind of fee. You pay for quality like having Susan Lim as your medical consultant.
If only all lazy Singaporeans could work as hard as Edwin Tong, and be as clever as him, the govt would not need to give them any handouts, and no one would be accusing them of being lazy. They will all be as rich and successful as Edwin Tong. And for his piece of good advice, Edwin Tong has just been rewarded with a promotion to Senior Minister of State.
Those who have will be given more, so says the bible. Stop being lazy and start to work hard and become like Edwin Tong. Then you can also advise the lazy Singaporeans to work hard.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore’s problems are all self inflicted
Singapore is facing a lot of problems that would snowball into a disaster if the policies causing them are not stopped quickly. The serious problems bugging Singapore are high cost of living, high inflation, high property and rental prices, high car prices, high transportation cost, high PMET unemployment, shortage of space, shortage of water, shortage of energy etc etc. The thing is that these problems would not be there if the govt does not blow to high population balloon.
Think about the time of Adam and Eve. They have the whole earth to themselves. They have plentiful of everything, literally did not have to work a day with the wealth of the earth to themselves. No shortage of land and space, no food shortage, no water shortage etc etc.
In Singapore the situation is reverse. 6m people in a tiny piece of rock and more coming in with some jokers claiming that it is good to have 10m, 20m or more. For what I dunno. Is the purpose of a piece of land is to fill it to the brim with people so that they end up killing each other for a bit more space?
Singapore is a tropical island with rainfall all round the year. We used to have three tiny reservoirs in the central catchment area that have enough water for everyone. Now we have more than 15 reservoirs and each is bigger than the 3 reservoirs combined, and still not enough water. And every donkey is braying that water is precious and we need to teach people how valuable and scarce water is and people must be made to pay a high price for water. That is not the end. We even conned the people that they should be drinking shit water because we don’t have enough water. And they have to invest heavily in equipment and technology to recycle shit water for consumption when we have one of the highest rainfall in the world, a tropical island paradise that rains, no, monsoons, water pouring down from the sky like cats and dogs, except for some rare dry seasons. And we have shortage of water? How, why?
There is no reason for Singaporeans to be crying for more water, to pay so much for water that is free, coming down from the sky, and to be forced to drink shit water. There is no reason why we have no space for bigger homes. There is no reason why car prices are so high, and so few people can own cars as a proportion to the population of the island. In the 60s, it was so easy to own a car and so much space to drive around.
All our problems are self created, self inflicted and could only get worse over the years till the day we self destruct by implosion, because of bad and stupid policies of squeezing more people onto this piece of tiny rock. No one can blow a balloon incessantly without it exploding.
Stupidity has no cure.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore China bashing or Kausikan China bashing?
For several weeks the Singapore main media have repeatedly publishing Bilahari’s view on how China manipulates and coerces Singapore to become more pro China in its policies. One comment by a Kesavapany even suggested that this is Singapore govt’s position and Singaporeans should speak out in a similar view to attack China for doing so. The impression given is that only China is the only bad guy manipulating Singapore and other big powers are not, all so innocent and angelic.
The recent spat with Malaysia over the HSR and water agreement is another episode of how Malaysia tried to influence and manipulate Singapore’s policies and decision to favour Malaysia. Or is this not manipulation or coercion? Every state would influence and manipulate another country to its advantage without exception. This is called cultivating good relations or diplomacy.
Reflect a little on Singapore’s actions and policies with other countries and ask the same questions Kausikan had asked, whether Singapore has been influenced, manipulated or coerced to act or speak in the way it did. The Philippines China island dispute case would be a good starting point. Singapore kept saying that it was not a party to the dispute and had no claim to the South China Sea islands but was the one that carried the biggest loudspeaker to lambast China, telling China to accept the decision of the funny private court in Hague and even telling China to obey the rules of law as if China was not. On the other hand, nothing was said when the Americans broke all international laws and agreements, the TPP, Paris Climate Accord, not being a member of UNCLOS.
So, was Singapore coerced, manipulated or influenced by the Americans to say those things, to behave in such a bizarre manner that eventually led to the souring of relations with China when it should have just shut its mouth like other countries? The big question, was it in Singapore’s interest to be the spokesman for the Americans against China? Singapore did it freely, willingly, to harm its own interest? If Singapore did not open its little big mouth then Singapore’s interest would be harmed by the coercive big power and by opening its little big mouth, Singapore’s interest was advanced, protected by the big power?
Another point, why would a little prick like Singapore be so willing to send its soldiers to the Middle East and Afghanistan to fight along side the Americans when all the smart countries in the world would not do so? Was Singapore being forced by the Americans, arm twisted by the Americans to do so and in so doing, stand up like a sore prick and risking itself being a target of ISIS attack? Singapore doing it willingly without being coerced to do so? The Americans did not manipulate, pressure or force Singapore to send troops to the Middle East and Afghanistan? Are Singapore leaders really so stupid to play with fire when they don't have to?
Between China and the USA, who has been influencing and coercing Singapore into doing things against its national interest? Who is the bigger devil and why nothing was spoken against the bigger devil?
You ask me? It is ok to be manipulated and do the biddings of the Americans or what the Americans did were not coercion or manipulation, no, the Americans did not influence our policies and decisions in how we conduct our international relations?
How did Singapore's healthy relations, crafted over decades by Lee Kuan Yew denegerated to this poor state of affairs? Who has or have been instrumental in sowing the seed of hate against China. Where did this hate China agenda originated?
Any Chinese Singaporean with a little ethnic pride and self respect would not take it kindly with such open warfare to bash China. It is so insensitive for Kausikan and his likes to promote such a hate China agenda in a multi racial society paying no due respect to the feelings of the Chinese community. Be he a banana, a chap cheng or a Chinese Singaporean, he has his roots in China. And no self respecting man would ignore or show distaste to his roots and ethnic identity in the face of a loose cannon attacking his roots. The reticence of the Chinese community does not mean that they are taking this kind of attack kindly or condoning it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: