Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Speak Your Mind, Singapore!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing what's right, without fear or favour

This is the article by Lee Wei Leng in the ST today. She encourages people to speak up, speak up when it is right to do so. And speaking up is not necessarily being anti establishment. The fact that she has to say this is very telling. It tells on the stupidity or fear in the mind of Singaporeans, that they should not speak up and the fear of being branded as anti establishment for doing so. Redbean must be anti establishment.

If Wei Leng were to say what she wrote in cyberspace, without disclosing who she is, some of the bloggers will tell her to leave if she is not happy. Some will brand her as anti establishment.

And, would her article be deserving of a place in TOM?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ungrateful aid recipient

Singapore and Singaporeans have been emptying their savings to help the unfortunate victims in the tsunami, in earthquakes and typhoons. The public even donated $660,000 to the Nepalese conjoined twins and a team of doctors and nurses ran a marathon operation practically for free to separate them.

Now Singapore and the surgeons are being accused of breaking our promises and being irresponsible. Dr Basant Pant, a Nepalese surgeon, accused Singapore for starting the operation and not completing the job.

Hahaha. This is what we deserve for being too hasty and eager to help the desperadoes. It is our duty and responsibility to finish the job and raise more funds for it. Actually Singaporeans will do it enthusiastically if the surviving twin, Jamuna, returns for her next operation. And Dr Keith Goh will willingly complete what needs to be done.

But for what this Dr Basant had said, and pointing the finger at us, it has left a very bad taste. Do we owe them a living? Do we need to bother about what happens to a Nepalese child? Do we need to empty our pockets to help this child? Do we need to be accused of being irresponsible and trying to be good samaritans?

I think we should tell this Dr Basant Pant to shaft it and take care of his own people and their own problems.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helping others versus helping self

We have heard that many scholarships were given to foreigners. Many did serve their terms before leaving for greener pastures. Many also decide to stay. Do we have any statistics to show how many we have sponsored and how many are staying or have left.

After so many years we should have enough numbers to decide whether it is a worthy or worthwhile investment. We also need to balance the amount of money given to foreigners and the amount given to our own children. Are we giving more, in numbers of scholarship to foreigners than to our own?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is robertteh?

He is the most prolific forumer in YPAP forum. For several weeks, he has disappeared totally, just like Matilah Singapura in mysingaporenews. What happens, what can happen to him to keep him away from posting?

Matilah may have been finished off in Soi Cowboy in Bangkok, or kidnapped by his lovely companions. Both can be a possibility in such popular tourist hangouts. As for robertteh, the only possibility is that he is sick, so sick that he could not post any more.

Cyberspace has lost two veterans. Good grief!
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give now talk later

In this extraordinary time while many people are still gasping for breath chasing at runaway prices of basic necessities, PN Balji suggested that the govt should consider a new approach, a give-now-talk-later way. During Hsien Loong's ND Rally speech there were a lot of giveaways, but all came with a series of conditions. These may not be good enough when some people need an immediate jab of morphine to be revived.

This formula of giving with conditions, a proven formula to underline the need for self reliance, that nothing comes freely, has worked for some times but needs to be tweaked. It will also show a little more caring and compassion and less calculative. This is only one aspect to look at the govt.

But how could this give-now-talk-later style match up with mean testing? The principle of mean testing is to take as much as you can. Check and see how much he has left for you to take. It also goes against the principle of thrift. When inflation is eroding the value of money so rapidly, when things are getting more expensive by the days, everyone is fearing that his/her little savings may not be enough. But the principle of mean testing wants people to spend and eat sharksfin if they have a few dollars more is really bad.

What the govt needs to do is provide the medical services that the people want and willing to pay for. Not the type of services that people want but cannot afford to pay or services that people do not want but must want and pay.

Somehow it is like take-now-talk-later instead of give-now-talk-later.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real thing - Take-now-talk-later

Balji may have been hoping for a change in the mindset with his call for a give-now-talk-later approach. The reality is that we have been practising the take-now-talk-later method for too long and it is becoming a national habit. And I am very sure many of you understand what this take-now-talk-later means through your own personal experiences. We have been victims of this practice for too long and in many ways.

While on this, one thing that comes to mind is that you should not put your money into someone else pocket. That is the most dangerous thing to do. No matter what assurance the person tells you, it is safer to put your money in your own pocket. Even if you don't spend it, you can feel it, touch it, and know that you can do whatever you want with it.

Once you put it into someone's pocket, you can be very sure that someone will apply the take-now-talk-later principle, and whoosh, your money becomes not your money anymore.

And in times like this, even putting in banks is pointless. Banks can run into trouble too. So there is a risk involved. And for the miserable 0.5% interest rate, it is not worth the risk.

Keep your money in your own pocket. Beware of this take-now-talk-later mentality.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult time, no need for by-election

This is what Nazry Bahrawi said in his article in Today. We are in difficult time, we cannot afford to waste time for a by election. Ooooh, does it mean that come 2011, and if Singapore is hit by a recession, no need to call for General Election? Quite logical really. The Ministers and MPs will be working their guts out trying to bring us out of the recession and cannot spare the time for a General Election. And a General Election is a costly affair too. Save the money for a better day and skip the election.

So, now is bad time, the four MPs can help out. Why waste time and resources for a by election? Did we hear that more and more people are seeking help from the MPs in such time? Would the increasing load makes it more urgent for Bukit Batok to have a full time MP to help all those in need of help?

Let me think about it again. It is a very difficult question to answer.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the roles of MPs?

The electorates vote their MPs to look after them and their interests. Looking after the constituencies, looking after the people and estate, meeting the people, organising activities for the people etc etc are what the people can expect of their MPs. Why are MPs sitting in all kinds of committees that have no direct bearings on their electorates? Is it necessary for MPs to sit as heads of sports clubs or clan associations, religious or cultural associations that are outside their constituencies?

When a person becomes an MP, regardless of his or her background, he/she becomes an immediate expert in everything and are appointed as advisors to all kinds of organisations to provide guidance and advice. Some even become instant business people, sitting in board of directors of companies or even as chairman when they have never even work in a business organisations.

This instant metamorphosis is truly amazing. Unbelieveable that an ordinary person can be transformed overnight into a knows-all. And more unbelieveable is that he or she is able to cope with so many roles within the same 24 hours, including being husband/wife, father, mother, and children as well.

I don't think it is an easy job to be an MP. One must be really talented and have 25 hours a day to live with. The unfortunate thing is that some may find themselves out of depth in these associations or organisations and found wanting. It is a disservice to them and to expect so much from a MP who is afterall another Ah Beng or Ah Huay at one time.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking up in Speaker's Corner

Do we need a Speaker's Corner to speak up? With the internet, would it be good enough? How would Speaker's Corner add up to the right to speak up on Singapore issues?

The first thing that came into my mind is money. No, you don't need money to speak at the Speaker's Corner. But the spectators need money to get there. With the high cost of travelling, $3 average to and fro to listen to someone speaking at the Corner, would it be too expensive? Many Singaporeans are more or less confined to their homes and neighbourhoods unless there is a real reason to spend $3 to take public transport. They will have to think very carefully to want to go down to the Speaker's Corner.

There will be some listeners, the same people day in and day out. Those that happen to stay around the Speaker's Corner, and those lunch time crowd of office workers working in the area. That may be all there is.

And if public transport cost keeps going up, the number of spectators will likely to go down unless there is a hot issue that everyone wants to listen to. Or maybe a great orator will appear to enthral the crowd. Come to think of it, tranport cost is a big factor to decide how big the crowd is.

For the many who have been used to the new media, the Speaker's Corner will be too far away.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to get uglier

600 residents of Serangoon Garden signed a petition against the conversion of a school to house 1000 foreign workers. This is the first time we are seeing so many Singaporeans standing up for their rights. And they have a good and valid reason to speak up. And Lim Hwee Hua acknowledged that it is good that the residents are speaking up. This is the best and most direct feedback coming from the people.

The problem is why can't the govt see the problem? We are too small, living too closely together. Bringing in a few hundred thousand foreign workers is going to eat into our private and social space. And there are all the good reasons for the residents to fear for their safety other tha the general cleanliness and orderliness of their neighbourhood.

We must stop fooling ourselves that we are as big as America and have a lot of open space to accommodate all the foreigners. We are no bigger than JB! The social consequences and price we are paying are too big. Those living in their little palaces may not feel the crunch and the squeeze. But don't forget that more than 80% of the population are going to face these foreign workers and rub noses with them.

I am waiting for the day they run riot and refuse to go home or back to their quarters. We will see how law and order can be restored. This is a sickness of small people with megalomaniac dreams.
Grunt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If succeed it will not be the 1st.

Remember the old Bukit Timah Turf Club, after some unsuccessful
ventures from seafood, furniture then car mall and even tried tennis
centre but all wasted down after the novelty is gone.

Well, the management tried to make the place a hub to for both the
JB - Singapore taxis and buses as Bukit Timah is rather central and
the place was quite spacious to accomodate both and hopefully to
revive that big piece of land.

Well, the suggestion or rather application was turned down and rejected
cause it will downgrade the vacinity area and cause noise and traffic
disruption. Like last time all those businesses do not ?

It just that the fear of Ah Seng & Ah Lian as well as Mat Rock & Lingam
lingering in that area with slippers and market baskets that the
neighbourhood fear and be seen to be associated with !
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gives me an idea. The huge Turf Club complex will be ideal to house all the foreign workers there. Laughing
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we grow older...

As the population grows older and less nimble with age, many things becomes frightening. The old, ing experience for them to walk alone in the presence of young and strong foreign workers and their wild stares. You do not know what is going on inside their heads.

We are growing older for sure. And we have a few hundred strong and hungry young men in our midst. It is a great recipe for more tension and crimes if we are not careful.

We must find a way to deal with this dilemma. We want them or need them, but we fear them. For they can create a lot of potential problems for us. Singaporeans must not be complacent in their thoughts. We are going to become a minority in a sea of foreigners and security and safety will become a bigger issue to face on a daily basis.

It is not just 1000 foreign workers in Serangoon Garden. The clusters living next door or a few doors away, or in the nearby construction sites can be equally dangerous.
Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again the cries of Jurong West residents were never heard let alone
considered !

Just go to Jurong Point and the Parks as well as the markets ......

Most likely Halimah Yacob would say, nobody wanted those Foreigners
to leave Jurong West ...... and honestly the ground had spoken basing
on her grassroots again. Sweet.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The huge complex vacated by the Turf Club in Bukit Timah is the most ideal place to house foreign workers. It is secluded, underutilised until the the govt firms up plans for its redevelopment, and it can also be easily cordoned off. And it is big. Can take in 10k or more foreign workers, no problem.

It is also a way of showing how well we treat our foreign workers and how much we love them. Locating them in district 9 or 10, with Orchard Rd and Holland Rd a few minutes away, and 6th Ave only walking distance, I love the idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: