Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Creating a New Impression
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khairy also ‘beh tahan’
‘The houses with the ‘crosses’ in Langkawi. Now repainted…We waste too much time on stupid issues.’ Khairy Jamaluddin, Youth and Sports Minister of Malaysia.
Former Cabinet Minister Zaid Ibrahim was quoted to be unhappy with the setting up of a Malay Mall operated only by Malay stall holders and a new airline, Rayani Air, that would not serve alcohol, with stewardesses wearing tudungs and reading Islamic prayers on take off, as bad commercial ideas capitalizing on Islam for profit.
I have not made any comment on the above to avoid being attacked by a dog hiding in the corner of this blog to accuse me for being insensitive and anti Islam or anti Malay. I am glad that progressive bumiputra leaders could see rubbish and would stand up to call them rubbish. At the rate these unproductive and regressive protests continue, things would only get more ridiculous and the bumiputras would only get more angry and uncontrollable when they should be directing their energy and time on more productive things to uplift the well beings of fellow bumiputras.
The timely intervention by Zaid and Khairy would hopefully bring a stop to such wasteful and destructive energy. And hopefully they are strong enough and not become targets of attacks for being anti Islam or anti bumiputras. As someone commented, how would the bumiputras deal with cross road junctions? Are they going to demolish them for being Christian in nature? Would all the Cross Streets be renamed to Crescent Streets or something that has nothing to do with the cross?
Malaysian leaders should lead the bumiputras, if they are not interested in the general Malaysian population, towards more productive and progressive pursuits to improve their lives and well beings. They should not be stopping the bumiputras from crossing the streets or any cross over activities or events because they are related to the cross, literally. Please don’t be cross just because I write about it in my blog.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Najib negotiating for his exit?
I read a long report painting a very bleak picture of Najib’s political career and his impending exile but no country wanting to have him or to have anything to do with him. The report even mentioned his in laws in Kazakhstan had turned him down. I forgot the source of this report but it seemed so real, with suggestions that all the crimes of Najib are already on the AG’s table and waiting to be submitted to the court together with Najib in the dock.
In the media yesterday, Najib was all very well, seeking an audience with the Agung to remove the Chief Minister of Kedah who is none other than his nemesis’ son in Muhkriz Mahathir. It was not Najib moving out but the Mahathir’s son, the last of Mahathir’s shadow in Malaysian politics. Najib is still on top of things and in full control of the mess he is in.
This political intrique is getting more interesting everyday. How could Najib being accused of so many wrongdoings and by the most powerful man in Malaysia even out of office, is still standing and kicking around, and kicking asses? In his heydays, a whisper from Mahathir would send everyone flying and the victims kissing dust. Why is it so difficult for Mahathir to remove Najib despite all the evidence he and his men had in their hands? And why is Najib getting stronger by the days and appearing to be the winner in this zero sum game?
Is it the Rosmah factor? Everyone has heard of how powerful Rosmah is and the infamous rumour of her dabbling with the occults. How much truth is there that the occults could have such a powerful influence in the politics and staying power of a PM painted into a corner?
Or are the days of the Mahathirs coming to an end? Could the past excesses of Mahathir be the main factor of his undoings, that the palaces are now more inclined to favour Najib than the man that clipped their wings and now it is pay back time for Mahathir? The ruthless and arrogant disregard of the dignity of royalties, no matter how well meaning, would still be regarded as an affront and an act of disrespect and insubordination. Now Mahathir is not going to get the support that he desperately wants from the Agung and the royal houses. It is game over for Mahathir. No matter what sins Mahathir wants to pin on Najib, no sin is greater than the sin of trampling on the dignity and power of the royal houses.
Now, who is fighting for his life, Najib or Muhkriz and Mahathir? The victor is not going to be kind to the loser this time as the stakes are really high and any softness could prove fatal in a rebound. Who shall walk again and who shall be in exile? The verdict would be out very soon.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Najib is untouchable at home, but not abroad

‘KUALA LUMPUR: The Office of the Attorney-General (OAG) of Switzerland on Saturday (Jan 30) said it will hand a formal request for assistance on 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) in the coming days, according to a spokesman for the OAG.
"The request for mutual assistance will be handed over to the Malaysian authorities in Kuala Lumpur in the coming days; i.e. a representative of the Swiss government will transfer the OAG's mutual assistance request in the coming days to the respective Malaysian authority in charge," said Andre Marty. "This procedure is well established based on international mutual assistance law."… CNA
It is interesting to note why Switzerland, an innocuous and supposedly politically neutral country, is so interested in the 1MDB case. Why the sudden interest in Malaysia and Najib? Who do you think is behind this development and indirectly is telling Najib that he is not going to get away. Someone is pulling the strings and wanting to settle scores with Najib. Is this the prelude to a regime change?
Najib could be safe at home, but out of the country, like his money, there are many vultures waiting to feast on him. Someone or some forces are bent on doing Najib in. This is the price to pay for sleeping with the devil.
Take care. Rosmah would be powerless outside Malaysia.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia is the most corruption free country
Singapore used to wear this badge of honour but now Malaysia is stepping up on the rostrum to be seen and recognized as the most corruption free country in the world. I know that this is a shocking piece of news but I have my facts to prove that what I am saying is justifiable. There is a report in the Today paper this morning about the investigation on Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng’s purchase of a bungalow in Penang. An UMNO MP Shabudin Yahaya asked in Parliament whether Lim Guan Eng’s purchase was below market price. This led to the MACC rushing into action to conduct a thorough investigation.
I don’t think there is any anti corruption agency in the world that is free, willing and transparent, not beholden, in investigating a Chief Minister of a state. I am sure if there is a similar corruption report against the PM or a minister or any MP, the MACC too would rush in to investigate with no fear or favour. And for the MACC to investigate the Chief Minister of Penang, and no other ministers or politicians, it only speaks well of Malaysia as a corruption free country. In the whole of Malaysia, only one Chief Minister is being investigated, and for supposedly buying a property below market price. The rest of the politicians, ministers, PM etc etc are simply incorruptible as the MACC has no reason to investigate any one of them for corruption. They are all clean.
And the MACC is so professional and meticulous in this investigation against the Chief Minister. Both the Chief Minister and his wife had been interviewed several times by the MACC. And in total 65 witnesses had been called up to assist in the investigation. This is serious business and no stone is left unturned. Anyone, any minister or politician that is corrupt would not get away with such thorough and professional work of the MACC.
These two facts, a highly professional anti corruption agency that would investigate anyone, regardless of position and power, speaks very well of the MACC and Malaysia. And the way the MACC went about its duties also specks very well of the MACC. And one more, since in the whole of Malaysia, only one politician is suspected of corruption while the rest are clean, how not to conclude that Malaysia is a corruption free country?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia becoming more like Singapore, the next incorruptible country
Singapore has the reputation of being the least corrupt country in Asia. Thanks to an incorruptible govt and an incorruptible culture. After visiting Singapore so many times and so many exchanges and retreats with Singapore govt officials, something good must have rubbed on to the Malaysians. They are becoming incorruptible, especially the ruling govt.
So far no govt official has been arrested for corruption, not from the ruling party definitely. The only people that are corrupt are likely from the opposition parties and their members. The Chief Minister of Penang, Lim Guan Eng, has just been arrested for corruption.
This is how serious Malaysia is about stamping out the scourge of corruption in the country. And they have set a very good example with the ruling party members all being incorruptible. And they will not be kind to the opposition parties or anyone that is corrupt.
Malaysia is becoming another shining example of a country that is free of corruption and very firm against anyone that is corrupt, regardless of race or position. Now Asean countries have two shining examples to emulate, Singapore and Malaysia, the two most incorruptible countries in Asean and Asia.
Najib is setting a fine example of honesty and incorruptibility.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Empire robbing Najib of his billions
Read in front page news that the Americans are going after the assets of Najib in the US worth more than US$1b. The Americans have unilaterally judged that the assets were illegally acquired using stolen money from 1MDB by Najib’s step son Riza Aziz, Najib’s friend Jho Low and Mohamed Badawy al-Husseiny. The best part, the Americans are forfeiting the money, all US$1b. Najib would now be US$1b poorer.
How can the Americans do that? Najib is not guilty of any charges in Malaysia and has accounted for all the money from 1MDB. The Americans must return the money to 1MDB, the rightful owner. How can the Americans keep the money?
This case is even better than the kangaroo court case on the South China Sea. At least the tribunal put up a show, like everything is legal and the arbitration was fairly done, by their own appointed judges and even convinced the nitwits around the world that it was UN backed. The Americans used the US Court of Justice to grab the money, not an international tribunal, not backed by the UN.
Najib must learn this lesson fast. Do not offend the Emperor. Unless Najib can say, ‘What is US$1b?’ And Najib’s govt is very close to the Americans, supporting the Americans in the South China Sea kangaroo court. Now getting a piece of the same American medicine for good taste. Perhaps if Najib had agreed to go along with another kangaroo court to sue China he may have been let off. Alternatively he could have let Hishammudin send his naval flotilla to chase the Chinese Navy out of the South China Sea and everything would be fine with him and his assets.
How many more dumb Asians, Arabs and Africans are parking their money and assets in the US waiting to be seized and forfeited? This is not the first time it happened. It has happened many many times and dumb Asians, Arabs and Africans, 3A ratings, continue to repeat this silly mistake.
Oh, I forgot, stupidity has no cure. Singapore is also seriously and furiously investigating this 1MDB fraud and has also seized the properties related to … oh, it is Jho Low, not Najib. So lucky or else Singapore would have another tight rope to walk.
Najib better be very careful. If they could do it to Erdogan, it can easily be his turn.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of the RAHMAN prophesy
The RAHMAN prophesy is coming to its end with Najib fulfilling the last alphabet N. For the uninitiated, the alphabets of RAHMAN spell out the first letter of the names of the Prime Ministers of Malaysia starting with Tengku Abdul Rahman where the RAHMAN originated, the following PMs were Abdul Razak, Hussein Onn, Mahathir, Abdullah Badawi and now Najib.
The question is that we are now at the end of the RAHMAN prophesy, then what? Is Najib going to rule forever so there is no need for another formula to replace the RAHMAN formula. And by the look of things, Najib is going to rule for a long time to come. Whatever, Najib cannot be an immortal and it will come to an end. So, what is the next change? Would a new formula be found and how would it take shape?
The short 6 alphabets may be a sign that Malaysia will have only 6 PMs and subsequently there will not be any more PM. It could mean the end of Malaysia, with Malaysia breaking into different states and new countries. This is not far fetch given the artificiality and superficiality of the Malaysia concept. The two east Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak are all itching to break away from the Malay/Islam dominated country. They just don’t fit in given their population and religious profiles. And there is Johore that is increasingly losing patience with the Federal Govt meddling and messing up its development plans. Kelantan and Penang have different reasons to want a different formula or status quo.
There could be another possibility, that Malaysia will become a dictatorship, ruled by a dictator and no need for a PM. The possibility of Malaysia breaking up is high, but a dictatorship, mmmmnn, what do you think? Najib a dictator?
Look at another possibility of the RAHMAN formula being recycled with Malaysia remaining as it is. If this be the case, the next PM would be one whose name starts with the letter R. Tengku Razaleigh’s name came up immediately. Though ageing but still going strong and why not? Who else that are in the political limelight today with a name starting with R? What about newly appointed Economic Minister Abdul Rahman Dahlan, same name as Tengku Abdul Rahman to start a new cycle? He is young, only 50 years old and fit in nicely to succeed Najib in another term. There are two more ministers with names starting with R in Richard Riot Jaem and Rohani Abdul Karim. But both are light weights and unlikely to be PM material.
The RAHMAN formula would rule out many of the close contenders like Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, Hishammudin, Khairy etc. If this formula is going to be repeated, a new R must be found that is very influential and powerful to fit the role of a PM. I have one more R in mind and this candidate has a very high chance of taking over the rein from Najib.
Still guessing? What about Rosmah?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Jong Un, the trend setter of man's fashion

Remember Adolf Hitler's look, I meann his hair and his moustache? He was a class of his own, ann individualist that set his own style. Hitler's look might be different but he did not change the look of man's fashion in any way or not in the way Kim Jong Un did. Kim Jong Un and his awful looking hairstyle is the trend of men all over the world today and has been that way for several years.

Initially I thought only silly Asians or fashion imitators would adopt this ugly looking hairstyle as fashion, as the in thing. Then when I watch the European footballers and now the Olympics, even the Americans and many European athletes are sporting the same awful looking hair style that was a laughing stock during the early days of National Service. The 4 by 2 look would turn heads then, and attract all kinds of humiliating remarks and comments.

Today, this 4 by 2 with greater exaggerations, is cool. Looking ugly is cool. Looking different, weird and out of place, worse than a nerd, is attractive, I think they think so. And all thanks to Kim Jong Un for setting this trend. The barbers and hair stylists have a lot more businesses to do and more hair to cut.

When would the fashion world be honourng this man for his great contribution to manhood, that man need not look pretty, but anything, even ugly, is acceptable and desirable, and welcome him to the Hall of Fame in the fashion world?

I must say some men could carry this unusual, offbeat or obiang hairstyle well. But many just look anything but good. It is a piece of bizarre art on the head and paraded everywhere, in the streets and in parties of the high society and fashion conscious. This is the best revenge Kim Jong Un inflicted on the west and the silly believers that believed his grandfather was mad, his father was mad and he is also mad. Now he made the world mad to wear his hair style to look like him.

Thank you again Kim Jong Un, if the wearers of this hairstyle know where it came from, they might start to throw for their stupidity. It is North Korea! Not the cool Korean wave from South Korea. And it orginates from Kim Jong Un.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return of the Sultans, bye bye Mahathir
Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar has taken a shot at Mahathir for interfering into the affairs of Johore with his typical Mahathir accusation that Johore is splitting the unity of Malaysia while he, Mahathir, is the uniting force for Malaysia. The Sultan has rightly pointed out that the problems of Malaysia, the racial politics and racial divide and the deep seated racial hatred have their origins from Mahathir. Under Mahathir’s rule, it was all about race politics in the name of unity.
Mahathir even attacked the phrase ‘Bangsa Johor’ as divisive, …’promoting affinity to individual states over the country will divide Malaysians’. The Sultan told Mahathir to shut up and rightly pointed out that the seed of division and racial politics was planted and nurtured by Mahathir. ‘Bangsa Johor’ was a foresighted concept originated by the late Sultan Sir Ibrahim Al Masyhur Abu Bakar in 1920, a call to unite all the races under one flag.
The sins of Mahathir have not been spoken and are now surfacing. The Sultans are standing up to defend themselves and their rights as heads of their respective states and rulers of Malaysia. Mahathir better shut up or would not only be told to shut up but could end up in very compromising and uncomfortable position as his fame and stature fade away. He must know that time has changed to his detriment and it is for his own good to disappear quietly to enjoy his retirement in his twilight years. If he insists to take on the royalties and the UMNO that he used to rule, he may be in for a rude awakening.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomson Medical Centre is going big in Johore Bahru. So were many other hospitals from around the world. JB is going to be a boom town, with the best medical facilities without the outrageous charges in Singapore. JB is going to be a threat to Singapore’s medical hub if things go on as planned.

There is really no competition if JB can bring in the best doctors to helm the medical industry and will provide a good alternative to Singapore and Bangkok as the region’s medical hub. It has all the comparative advantages to make medical industry a success in JB. Get the formula right, the quality of the medical professions and the services, and JB will be on its way to replace Singapore. There are conditions to overtake Singapore and it is not a given.

Patients from all over the world would have a good alternative to the Singapore brand at a more affordable price. Singaporeans too would stand to benefit from this option. The only drawback is transportation. Sinai Airport would be pushed to the limits with medical tourist arrival. It needs better connections to other parts of the world, even to/from Singapore.

Singaporeans would have a little problem accessing the medical facilities in JB. In non critical cases, when time is not a problem, JB is a good choice. For critically ill patients, there is a caveat. They may not survive the jams at the Causeway, stuck for a couple of hours or more could be death threatening. Unless of course the JB govt could open a special fast lane for medical patients to pass, otherwise it is no go for critically ill patients to test their fate in the Causeway jam.

The jam and security and the causeway fees are obvious trouble in the way of the medical industry. It would be a pity if everything is in favour of JB, to flourish as a new international hub but be held hostage due to a few silly problems and failed.

Would Malaysia do anything to make JB a success or do silly things to ruin the hopes and dreams of many entrepreneurs that pour in their money to want JB to be the next commercial and industrial centre, including the next medical hub?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Najib behaving like Aquino

The assassination of Kim Jong Nam in KLIA is turning out to be another big farce and Najib is looking like another Aquino in the making while Malaysia is looking like South Korea during the sinking of a South Korean warship Choenan.

The Kim Jong Nam case should be a criminal case where a person was killed in Malaysian soil and the Malaysian authority should go through the due process of their law to investigate the case, try to apprehend the culprits. The body after autopsy should be returned to the next of kin or the country claiming it. This is the first time that I have heard of the demand for the victim's DNA as precondition for the release of the body. What if no DNA is produced, is Malaysia going to set up a cold store to keep all the dead bodies of foreigners? What is so difficult to return the body to the next of kin, or is the Malaysian authority having doubt of the dead person's identity? What is Malaysia hoping to gain or what game is Malaysia playing by making it so difficult to return a dead body after autopsy has been done?

Now this has been turned into a political row between Malaysia and North Korea, from friends to foes so unnecessarily. What is Malaysia up to? Is Malaysia acting under instruction from some outside parties to make things difficult to the North Koreans? If so, how is it going to benefit Malaysia except to be seen as another puppet of some outside powers?

The way the Malaysians went about arresting so many Koreans is not funny. Imagine the resources put in to cover this case involving a foreigner that has nothing to do with Malaysia other than a crime being committed in Malaysian soil? Even those not North Koreans arrested, an Indonesia and a Vietnamese seemed so questionable. Ok, the Indonesian has admitted that she was part of the team that attacked Kim Jong Nam. What about the Vietnamese woman? She did not look a bit like the woman in white T with the LOL logo on it. It is so obvious that they were completely two different people. Today's paper reported that a photo of the Vietnamese woman was posted in her blog with the LOL Tshirt. Is this an after thought that the two women did not look alike so need further proof to convince the public that they were the same person?

And the story of how Kim was killed kept flipflopping, from injected by needle to splashing water on him and then a video clip of a woman covering Kim's face from behind with a towel. Or the latest, they wiped his face with their hands covered with poison. What is the truth?

And so many cctv clips were shown on the news. Accepted that some were old clips of Kim. But the few that were supposed to be of Kim Jong Nam during the incident showed him wearing dark blue jacket and then light blue jacket. And there were reports claiming that the video showed him stumbled to the check in counter and some said he walked calmly to the check in counter after the incident.

Finally the Malaysian authority admitted that they did not know the cause of his death. The poison theory is yet to be confirmed as no known poison was detected. Malaysia also refused to have a joint investigation or let the North Koreans in to at least witness how they investigated the case, just like the case of Choenan.

Just like the Choenan case, all the fingers were pointing at the North Koreans as the culprits with evidence as well. In the Choenan case the South Koreans even fabricated parts with writings from the North Koreans only to be proven false and the case was dropped and closed.

Would there be fabrication of evidence to show that the North Koreans were guilty and subsequently the whole case fall flat like the Choenan case when preliminary evidence and allegations were all against the North Koreans?

The biggest joke in this case would be that the victim is not Kim Jong Nam but someone else. Cannot rule this out if the Malaysians are asking for DNA to prove that it is him.

Talking about fake news, fake reports, false flags and conspiracy? What is this case all about?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Jong Nam - Fake news and alternative truth

In the Kim Jong Nam case Malaysia has come up with its version of the truth. All fingers conveniently pointing to North Korea just like the NOT UN backed tribunal or kangaroo court in The Hague on the SCS dispute. Malaysia is walking around like a cock strutting its stuff. They have all the truths and evidence, like indisputable truths similar to the Choenan Incident. The North Koreans did it.

As more questions are being asked and more information is being produced, more holes are seen and the picture is looking murkier. With the Malaysians refusing to cooperate with the NK whom the victim is their people in the investigation, the NK has to conduct their own.

How did the Malaysians become so clever to narrow it down to VX nerve gas? The NK is demanding that the Malaysians produce the sample and let it be confirmed by an international body which the Malaysians strangely refused to do so.

For a victim to die within a few minutes, then the dosage used must be quite high, high enough to be inhaled by the two women who would thus become victims of the gas as well. The fact that the two women were harmless tells a story that either the dosage was so small or it could not be toxic when inhaled, ie not VX. And if the dosage was big, people around them, the toilet used to wash up would likely to be affected. Where is missing towel or gloves that could be very toxic?

NK has raised a point, that one or both women had made several trips to South Korea. Can this be verified? Sure it can if the SK wants to and if confirmed, what would it say of SK complicity?

SK and the Americans have in many occasions planted false flag incidents to tarnish the reputations of NK to blame NK for all kinds of silly things. This is a fact. Could this case be just another false flag incident hashed by the SK or the Americans?

If you look at the cctv clip, the guy looked like Kim Jong Nam. But his hair, the long shaggy hair behind his head did not. His mannerism and the way he walked did not. And for him to walk around to talk to police officers, to talk to airport staff after the incident did not show that he was a victim of a VX attack. There were not sweating, nauseating or vomiting as what would be expected. A Japanese cult member sprinkled himself with the gas and died only 10 days later in Tokyo.

There are many unanswered questions especially with the involvement of Vietnamese and Indonesians. The North Koreans are known to have little contact with other people and would likely work on their own if they would to commit such an attack. Hiring agents is a common trick of the West and western trained operators to cover their tracks and their involvement. The involvement of foreigners, reality shows, contacts with the two women looking like Japanese or Koreans must have raised a red flag. But these leads are not being pursued by the Malaysians. They are conducting a witch hunt in the NK embassy.

The truth is unfolding. Who gave the toxic substance to the attackers? What is that substance if not VX? Where is the evidence of the gas? Is the victim really Kim Jong Nam?

Why is Malaysia acting so strangely and so sure that it was the NK who did it like they knew MH370 ditched in the Indian Ocean? Who has been feeding the Malaysians with all the information or misinformation? Are the Malaysians so clever or so stupid?

From a rather straight forward case of investigating a crime involving foreigners, Malaysia is now having a diplomatic row with the North Koreans and acting so atas. Is it necessary and what is Malaysia benefiting from it?

Now after PNG the North Korean ambassador, the North Koreans are retaliating by not allowing Malaysians in North Korea to leave. Now would Malaysia up the stake and do the same to North Koreans in Malaysia? Oops, Malaysia has responded with the same ban on North Koreans in Malaysia.

Where would this end? Is there a puppeteer behind all this? If the incident was not committed by the NK, the real culprits would be laughing themselves silly.

Stupidity has no cure.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mausoleum for Kim Jong Nam
Malaysia may be building a mausoleum to house the body of Kim Jong Nam forever. The families of the said victim are not coming forward to claim it. North Korea wanted it but Malaysia did not want to give it to them. According to Malaysian Health Minister Subramaniam, ‘There have been a lot of rumours that the body was cremated, but we would not do this without the responsible parties giving us directives or agreements.’ This would lead to an impasse and Malaysia would end up with the body of Kim out of a matter of choice and kindness. Malaysia could easily return the body to North Korea, but for some reason or reasons, chose not to do so and would only want to return the body to the victim’s family that did not want to come forward.
Ok, so Malaysia, what are you going to do with the body now? Keep it in the morgue forever or turn it into something useful, like a tourist attraction to collect fees for its upkeep? A mausoleum would be practical and useful if Malaysia has the intention to turn this non profit act of kindness, a money losing situation, into a positive money making machine.
Come visit Malaysia to see this rare human specie, found only in North Korea but not in other parts of the world, a North Korean? And this is probably the only specimen that was poisoned by one of the deadliest nerve gases known to humankind. It is a unique opportunity not to be missed. World scientists may also get the privilege of examining and studying the body and the effects of the deadly nerve agent known as VX. Visitors entering the mausoleum would have to pay for a protective clothing for their safety of course, some kind of sophisticated plastic overall. This would really be a piece of item that is attractive to the tourists visiting Malaysia and for keepsake.
I am giving the Malaysian Tourism Ministry good suggestions for free.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia China relations: When shared interests dominate the narrative

The sale of Malaysia's national car, the Proton, to China has raised many objections from the nationalists in the country, especially Mahathir who gave birth to the idea. There must be good reasons for Najib to want to part with this national project that is all about pride and progress of the bumiputra policy. It is easy to criticise Najib for selling a national asset, though not strategic in any sense, on emotional grounds overriding economic and financial considerations. If the Proton is such an attractive proposition, not losing money but gaining popularity as a national car, with new technology and engines to propel it into an international product, Najib would not have done what he did.

The logic behind the sale of Proton to China is very similar to the sale of Lotus by Britain to Malaysia or Sweden selling its Volvo to China. In the case of Lotus and Volvo, there are technologies involved that the Chinese are interested. There is nothing of this when the Proton is concerned, an antique dressed up with bright colours to be sold only to the locals as a cheap product but losing its glitters as the days gone by. Najib either sells it now when there is a buyer or would have to end up folding the company when no one else is interested in this shell of a car manufacturing company. There is nothing worthy or worthwhile for anyone to want to buy the Proton unlike Lotus or the Volvo. Period. China is actually doing Malaysia a big favour by pouring money into a dead end product and giving it a future with the injection of modern technology and engines to give it a new life. Would the critics be able to see it in this light?

There are times when interests collide and times when common interests compliment and would bring about more cooperation to benefit both parties. China has a great strategic interest to want to invest in Malaysia for strategic and economic reasons. The greatest fear of China is the choke point in the water ways through the Malacca Strait and the Strait of Singapore. 80% of China's oil flow through these narrow channels of water and with the Americans posing a greater threat in its increasing belligerent rhetoric against China. The latter has to do something to avoid a blockage of the Straits by the Americans.

China is looking at the geography of the region and found several alternatives to break away from the choke points. China is making big plans to find alternative routes for its oil supply from the Middle East bypassing the Straits of Singapore and Malacca in Gwadar, Pakistan, oil pipeline in Myanmar, a possible cutting of the Kra of Isthmus and cutting across from peninsula Malaysia. The strategic plan would involved several options and Malaysia is just one of them.

Why would Malaysia want to be part of this Chinese strategic plan? What benefits would Malaysia derive from it? For centuries, Malaysia has been bypassed by the strategic location and infrastructure of Singapore as a regional transportation hub. In the Chinese plan, involving great engineering, infrastructure development and financing, Malaysia would become the next transportation hub of the region to rival Singapore. China stood to gain strategically with its development in Malaysia. And Malaysia stood to gain economically enormously in replacing Singapore as the new transportation and financial centre. When both countries have so much to gain, there are all the reasons for Malaysia to rethink its strategic interests to participate fully in a plan that would make Malaysia a vibrant hub of economic activities. Or would Malaysia choose to let this piece of pie go and seek closer ties with the Americans that are meddling in its internal affairs and could only offer to sell more arms and weapons that are totally unproductive and a waste of money?

Malaysia can also decide against being aligned and enmeshed intricately with China as some critics would caution. Malaysia has a choice, and so has the Chinese. If Malaysia does not want to come on board, China would accelerate its plan to cut the Kra Isthmus in quick time and by pass Malaysia totally. China has to do one or the other. Malaysia could choose one or the other. When China chooses to go the Kra way, all the benefits that Malaysia could gain would go up in smokes and Malaysia would remain on the side line of the world's major water way and transportation network.

The Chinese proposition makes a lot of economic sense to Malaysia. The Chinese would find a way out from the potential American blockage, and Malaysia would become the new shining centre of global trade. Najib and his govt must have gone through the whole thinking process to want in and the instant reward is the sale of a karung guni car that no one would pay a cent for to China, and at a good price and with potential of the Proton name gaining more traction with new technology and engines to compete in the international market. To Malaysia, there are so many avenues and opportunities to benefit from this strategic alignment with China's economic and strategic plan with no compromise to its national interests.

Now what would the critics say or could offer other than emotional gripes? Would the Americans buy the Proton for a song? Would the Americans turn Malaysia into a new transportation hub and a new financial centre, or into another war zone?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China must change its investment strategies in Malaysia
Wan Saiful Wan Jan wrote a piece titled ‘Malaysia’s priority is to manage not stop, China’s investments’ in the Today paper on 11 Jul 17. While many doubters are raising red flags when the Chinese govt is pouring money into Malaysia, Wan Saiful took a slightly different stand, understand the pros and cons and manage it to the best advantage of Malaysia. The money coming in is good if not why ask for the money, but more important is how to capitalize it to the best for Malaysia and its people. Who else is going to give you money?
In his article he addressed some issues with the Chinese investments and quoted the experience in Latin America and Africa to offer some hindsight on the pitfalls to avoid. One of the key issues is the repayment of the soft loans for the infrastructure that China is building for Malaysia. Wan Saiful lamented that after the projects are completed, Malaysia would have to pay and pay, ie to repay the loans over 20 years or more, and plus interest some more. This is bad. Ok, pointed noted. China must reconsider this, maybe let Malaysia determine how long to repay the loan. But this is also bad. The best thing that China could do is to offer the loan to build the infrastructure without having to pay back, build them for free, give the loan for free. Now that would be nice. China must seriously consider this strategy then Wan Saiful and his friends would not have to raise this concern again.
The second serious concern and I quote, ‘Not only does China get back a substantial portion of its money immediately in the form of payment for work done by their state owned enterprise CCCC, they will also get more money when repayments start, with interest. Ultimately, over the long term, there is still an outflow of funds from Malaysia to China.’ How can China do this? This is no good. China must rethink how not to get back a substantial portion of its money immediately for payment for work done and to ensure that there is no outflow of funds from Malaysia to China. Again, the solution is simple. Build for free, give the loan for free. No need to pay back and Malaysia will be very happy.
Another concern, the infrastructure built may not be profitable and ‘the risks and liabilities are borne by Malaysian taxpayers through a government guarantee of the loan.’ Now how to overcome this? Maybe China should guarantee that the project should be profitable and take the risk and bear the liabilities if the project is not profitable. How about that? This is something that China must seriously think over before embarking on the project. It is not the responsibility of the Malaysian govt to ensure that the project is profitable or useful to Malaysia.
Another important point raised by Wan Saiful is how Venezuela ended up with huge debts despite China’s soft loans. Venezuela’s mistake was to agree to repay the loans with oil. But then oil price collapsed. With this lesson, China must let Malaysia choose whatever way it wants to repay the soft loan, maybe by paying in ringgit, RMB or US dollars or coconuts. Oops, not a good idea either. The value of the currencies can fluctuate and Malaysia could end up paying more. Maybe China can work out a flexible option to let Malaysia pay in whatever currency or commodities it so chooses without having to make exceptional and unexpected losses. The best way is to leave the option for repayment blank, to be determined by Malaysia as and when it likes. That should do the trick, I think.
And another point, not the last, is the transfer of technology. From Malaysia’s past experience with investments from western countries, including Japan, there was always a transfer of technology to Malaysia. Look at how much technology the Proton car has transferred to Malaysia today. Or remember Dunlop, Shell and all the famous western companies that have invested in Malaysia and all the technologies they have transferred to Malaysia and made Malaysia a modern and industrial power house? China must transfer its technologies to Malaysia just like what these western and Japanese companies did before, the Sony, Panasonic, Sharp etc. This should be easy for China, by following what the western and Japanese companies have done before.
Oh, one more concern, Chinese companies should not use Chinese workers in their projects. They must employ the Malaysians to do the job. Actually it would be easier and less troublesome if China just offer the money to Malaysia and let Malaysia hire all the locals to work on the projects and all the local SMEs would also have subcontracts to work on. Just give the money to Malaysia and everything will be fine. It would also be easy for China too, no need to do anything. A little catch, would China still be responsible for the completion of the projects and profitability of the projects when Malaysians are doing all the work?
Oh, one more very big concern. China is an authoritarian state promoting authoritarian capitalism. If more Chinese investments poured into Malaysia, Malaysia is likely to be influenced and become an authoritarian regime as well. This is so dangerous. How to overcome this? Ok, Wan Saiful concluded with this remark, ‘The responsibility to ensure good governance in Malaysia lies with the Malaysian government and the Malaysian people, not China.’ So China no need to do anything, just invest and don’t try to influence the Malaysians to become an authoritarian state. Don’t try regime change also. Don’t ask questions about 1MDB. I am not sure how easy it is to influence the Malaysian leaders and people to become an authoritarian state just by investing and building infrastructure in Malaysia. I am still scratching my head.
China should read my above points carefully and seriously rethink how they could invest in Malaysia without getting back their investment capital. If they continue to do it this way, always thinking of repayment, Malaysia is likely to invite western countries to invest in Malaysia with free loans, no need for repayment. Then China would lose out in investing in Malaysia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> World Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: