Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Creating a New Impression
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Creating a New Impression Reply with quote

2008 GE in Malaysia

The results say it all. The Malaysians are not going to be dragged along by a corrupt coalition that is sinking deeper into cronyism and racism. In brief these are what the voters have said.

1. No more corruption
2. Down with race politics
3. Down with threats and violations of minority rights
4. Down with Barisan National
5. Return of Anwar Ibrahim
6. A new justice and a new Malaysia

Losing 5 states to the opposition is a big defeat of the BN. The Malays, Chinese and Indians have started to abandon a sinking BN that is bankrupt of ideas. They have lost faith in what BN can bring to the people and to bring Malaysia forward to the next century.

Would anyone be kissing his kris again? Would there be more war cries in UMNO convention? The toll of bullying the component parties of BN and threats of blood letting is for all to see. UMNO has not only discreditted their component parties but also lost credibility among the Malays.

The BN coalition is habis. Gerakan, MCA, MIC and the east Malaysian parties may reflect on their role and value to the people and may find it best to leave the Barisan. It has long been a UMNO Barisan than a Barisan National. Staying on will further erode their support from the electorate. They have been totally ineffective, and humiliated by their inaction or fear of UMNO that they have been living in shame in recent years.

Would we see a mass defection of these parties to a New Barisan led by Kedilan and DAP? What would happen if the MCA, Gerakan, MIC and other component candidates just defect to join the New Barisan, if that is possible? Or they could resign and stand for the opposition in by elections.

If that be the case, the next by election, with Anwar standing, will be a mini general election. And the death nail in the UMNO/BN will be complete if more UMNO candidates also join the cause and defect to the opposition parties.

Having said all these, the Malaysians should give a standing ovation to Pak Lah for allowing democracy to flourish and run its own course, for allowing the people the freedom to choose their national leaders. Abdullah has allowed a more freer Malaysia to take place, more breathing space for the opposition and has also laid the foundation of a new era for Malaysia and Malaysians.

There is hope that Malaysia will become truly Malaysia under the current ethos and political climate. There is hope that the judiciary, the civil service and uniformed services will be allowed to act independently and professionally, to serve the people than the interests of a few individual politicians.

Well done Malaysia! Well done Pak Lah. And good wishes to all the opposition parties.
elle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: GE Reply with quote

Keep us updated.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goodness coming from the GE

The Malaysians have two men to thank for the results of the GE and a new Malaysia. Credit must go to Anwar for bringing about two unlikely bedfellows together to share a common dream, a Malaysian Malaysia. And credit must also go to Abdullah for allowing this to happen.

Today, Abdullah is talking about a Malaysia for all Malaysians, a fair and level playing field, uniting all Malaysians and prosperity for all. This is a stark contrast from the pre election days when he allowed UMNO to be more extremist than PAS.

UMNO was then trying to be more Islamic and more Malay than whatever PAS stood for. UMNO was trying to outdo PAS!

Now PAS has moderated its position, and this caught UMNO with its pants down. Now a new tune is being sung by all parties, in the govt and the alternative govt. Everyone is talking about a Malaysian Malaysia.

The challenge to the future is whether Anwar is strong and dynamic enough to keep PAS under check and not going the extreme Islamic path. And on Abdullah's part, whether he can rein in the ultras in his party and return UMNO to be a party for all Malaysians. His problems are more difficult as there is also the big issue of corruption among his close aides and ministers. UMNO needs a thorough clean up and many of his corrupt gangs must go. To think that Samy Vello is still thinking of leading MIC as a component member of the BN speaks a lot about where UMNO is.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magic of Malaysian politics

It is unbelieveable that the only person that has all the cards to play is someone that is not even an elected MP. Anwar is now calling the shots, manouvring and shuffling the cards.

Abdullah the PM is the captain of a sinking ship and watching perilously at the possibility of his crews jumping over board. And it takes only one GE with the ruling party still the majority govt to shake the political landscape.

It is simply amazing. Everyone gravitating towards Anwar and watching what he is going to do next and when he is going to be the next PM.
elle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: I am Pleased Reply with quote

I am so pleased to see a silver lining in the dark skies.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha,

For a moment I thought you were talking about the dark side. Laughing
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abolish NEP

There seems to be a tacit agreement among the opposition parties to abolish the NEP. The new Selangor MB Khalid Ibrahim of PKR said he will abolish the NEP. DAP Lim Guan Eng, CM of Penang also said so.

Guan Eng was strongly attacked and warned by Abdullah not to stir racial feelings. Khalid was not touched. It is thus a case of who said it and also how it was spoken.

I believe the opposition coalition agreed that the NEP breeds corruption, croynism and nepotism and should be replaced by a fairer and more equitable formula. The issue now is how to go about it without affecting the special position of the bumiputras. And this I believe the coalition also shares a common ground. Now they will have to articulate to the people that they will help all the races and still recognise the special position of the bumiputras. This assurance is vital.

Wish them well.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing of a perfect storm

The political crisis is not over yet, just beginning. And Trengganu may be the state that is going to tip the scale and send Abdullah and UMNO into the oblivion.

The royalties, led by the Agong, are standing up after being silenced by Mahathir for many years. And Abdullah is unlikely to be in the same league as Mahathir to keep them in the closet. The Agong, who is also the Sultan of Trengganu, is not going to appoint Abdullah's nominee as the MB and has appointed Ahmad Said instead. Any contest by Abdullah that this is unconstitutional could see a constitutional crisis and a fallout with the Palace.

The very likely consequence is that Ahmad Said will take with him 12 UMNO MPs and may join PAS or PKR to form an opposition state govt. That would put Abdullah's govt in jeopardy, literally hanging on a string.

And if the speculation of a cross over by East Malaysian MPs, Anwar is going to be the next PM in a few months' time. And UMNO will be irrelevant. So will MCA, MIC and Gerakan.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can you say?

Abdullah Badawi added another feather on his hat. I reread what was reported in the Today paper. Yes, it is true, Syed Hamid said he has approved Anwar's party to print its own newspaper. He said, '...there was no reason the Keadilan party should not have its own newspaper since other political parties have theirs.'

Now, would this be possible if Mahathir is still in power? Malaysia Boleh. This is another big step forward towards press freedom and a level playing field for all the political parties. Such maturity was unheard off and thought not possible.

Yes, Malaysia is moving towards a more sensible political structure with more checks and balances. Good for Malaysia. It is something we can learn from. Are we more mature or the Malaysians?
sesame seed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Malaysia has changed to a more open society, a real multi-racial
society, then Singapore has to start worrying and Singaporeans have
to start thinking.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new era of cooperation

The wind of change is blowing strong, and positively. Abdullah is pondering on the possibility of cooperating with the opposition. Why not, 'If there is no clash in policies, then perhaps it opens the way to cooperate.' He said.

This is in response to the opposition offering Gerakan's Lee Kah Choon to head two opposition run development and investment organisations in Penang.

The conciliatory gestures are healthy for democracy and the increasing maturing of a polity and the politicians. Politicians can clash during election on issues, but can still work together. In fact this is the basis on which democracy is supposed to work.

Confrontation and vindictive politiking belong to third world countries when the rulers are basically thugs or mafia chieftains.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hishamuddin apologises

After one and a half months of soul searching, think he found his soul, Hishamuddin apologised for his antics in keris kissing. He could not believe that kissing a keris can be so deadly, that it will cause the downfall of UMNO.

He explained that his apology to the non Malays, 'for being frightened of a symbol, which was not my intention.'

And to the Malays, 'for not being able to defend a heritage symbol.'

So the reason for the kissing of the keris was only to defend a heritage symbol and nothing else. And when asked if he will kiss the keris again, he said he could not guarantee that he would not do it again.

Next week 100 Malay organisations will hold a conference to defend Malay rights in Johore Bahru.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not enough

Several UMNO Youth Branches are calling for Hishammuddin to resign for his keris kissing antics and causing the lost of confidence from other BN supporters. Kadar Shah Sulaiman Ninam Shah said about 90 branch and 25 divisional leaders made the call after Hishammuddin's apology and admission of his mistake.

Actually Abdullah is paying for the sins of Mahathir, Hishammuddin and Khairy. The poor PM is being asked to resign for inheriting problems caused by other UMNO leaders. Now this is definitely unfair.

Abdullah is a moderate leader, not an extremist. Given a chance, Abdullah could bring Malaysia forward in a more democratic way. It is time the wrongdoers be made to pay for their sins, not Abdullah.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step aside SIA, DBS, Temasek!

You are all small boys in the big league. You have tried so hard, think so hard, employed the best money can buy from the world. You have the best super talents to do the sums. How much are you making together? $5b, $10b?

Petronas made $24.4b just simply pumping oil from the ground. No need to work so hard, think so much, hair all turning white, and taking great risks. And they are raising petrol pump prices by 41%! They cannot afford to subsidise their people because everyone is not subsidising.

Err, not exactly. Everyone is the non oil producing countries or net oil importers. For the oil producers, some are selling oil to their people for less than US 30c per gallon. No wonder the Malaysians are protesting.

What a lucky country! Only unfortunate thing is that the leaders are not thinking. People cut subsidies they also must cut subsidies.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A powerful quote from Raja Petra Kamaruddin

There should be no bloodshed and loss of life. And ask the Malays in the opposition to come out in defence of their non-Malay brothers and sisters and warn the Umno Malays, in no uncertain terms, that they take to the streets at the risk of facing fellow Malays from the opposition who will defend their non-Malay brethren to the last drop of their blood. I, for one, am ready to stand by my Chinese and Indian comrades. So let Umno be warned." - Raja Petra Kamarudin, editor of Malaysia Today now under ISA detention.

I copy the above quote from www.littlespeck.com. This is how far the progressive Malays in Malaysia have come, moving away from racial and parochial politics, into a new world of multi ethnicity, a future where all men are brothers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> World Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: