Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Creating a New Impression
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 26, 2009 22:25 PM

Muhyiddin Spoke The Truth, Says Mahathir

This is the heading in a reply by Mahathir on what Muhyiddin said. So, did Muhyiddin spoke the truth? Muhyiddin said two things. 1. He was persuaded to supply water to Singapore. 2. He said Lee Kuan Yew threatened to go to war with Malaysia if the latter did not supply water to Singapore. Mahathir said 1 is correct and 2 is false.

Can I conclude that Muhyiddin said the truth for 1 and did not say the truth for 2? For Mahathir said that if LKY did threaten war with Malaysia, he would be the one to stop supplying water to Singapore. And that is vintage Mahathir and he would do it. Plainly, LKY would be diplomatic enough not to threaten war with Malaysia. Unbelieveable!

Read the Bernama report below for the truth or half truth.

"KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 26 (Bernama) -- Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has admitted that he had persuaded Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to supply water to Singapore when the latter was the Johor menteri besar.

"Tan Sri Muhyiddin spoke the truth about my persuading him to supply water to Singapore but Lee Kuan Yew did not threaten to go to war if we did not supply water. If he had done that, I think I would have stopped any further supply," Dr Mahathir said in an article posted in his blog on Wednesday.
Dr Mahathir was commenting on Muhyiddin's statement on Aug 19 that he (Dr Mahathir) had summoned him to attend a meeting with the visiting Singapore prime minister then, Lee Kuan Yew, over gas pipeline and water supply issues in Kuala Lumpur.

Muhyiddin had said that during the meeting between Dr Mahathir, the then finance minister Tun Daim Zainuddin, Lee and himself, Lee had pressed for adequate water supply to the republic from Johor.

"Lee said Singapore was ready to go to war if Malaysia did not want to supply enough water and expressed his regret over the stalled water supply project from Sungai Lingu.

"I said we did not have the money and Lee said Singapore was willing to bear the cost and, when completed, the assets will be owned by Malaysia, so Singapore had merely footed the bill," said Muhyiddin.

Muhyiddin said this at a ceramah in Tanjung Putus, Bukit Mertajam, during the campaign in the Permatang Pasir state by-election to clarify allegations by the opposition that he (Muhyiddin) had sold a piece of land to Singapore in connection with the water treatment plant in Sungai Lingu, Bandar Tenggara, Johor.

Dr Mahathir said in his article he did not know about the sale of land to Singapore but as it was agreed that a treatment plant be built by Singapore in Johor, land would have to be made available.

"We were at that time trying to be friendly with Singapore in order to solve several problems. Although raw water would be supplied at 3 sen per 1,000 gallons, the understanding was that in future only treated water would be supplied when our treatment plants would be ready.

"We would also not buy any more treated water from Singapore at 50 sen per thousand gallons when our new treatment plant in Johor is ready.

"When we no longer needed to buy treated water from Singapore we could raise the price of raw water to Singapore without Singapore being able to raise the price of treated water to us.

"However, when we concluded the water supply agreement, Singapore raised a lot of issues regarding our railway land, the CIQ (Customs, Immigration and Quarantine) at Tanjong Pagar, training flights by Singapore warplanes over Malaysia and the Central Provident Fund.

"At that stage, I realised that being friendly with Singapore did not pay," Dr Mahathir added."

-- BERNAMA
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a girl to defy the whole establishment

I have avoided posting about this story in case it will affect her chances against formidable foes. But her case was mentioned yesterday and I thought things have worked to her favour and her steely guts to defy two powerful authorities should be acknowledged.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno faces off the Muslim clergies and the Malaysian Govt and defy them to cane her in public. Yes, she broke a religious law, forbidden to drink alcohol, in her case, a glass of beer. And the punitive sentence was caning, 6 strokes. And she stood on her high pedestal and told the authorities, go ahead, cane me in public, get it done with.

Her case was prominently reported in many newspapers and media and becomes an embarrassment to the Malaysian Govt. This is a govt that is torned between trying to be secular and trying to be Islamic at the same time, one day clenching their fists shouting Allah is Great and another day calling for moderation to avoid being branded as another radical Islamic state.

Kartika's caning was postposed in view of Ramadan. And the Home Affairs Minister Hishamuddin in a press interview declared that his ministry did not have the expertise to do the caning. PM Najib advised Kartika to appeal against the sentence.

And to date she refuses. She is still calling the religious authority to cane her in public. I dare you!. And to complicate matter, in order to cane her they had to imprison her, which added to her punishment. Now the Malaysian authority is caught with over punishing her for a minor crime. To go ahead with the caning would put Malaysia in the same league as radical Muslim states. How could Malaysia, a model of modern Islamic state be seen to uphold an infringement to a religious law by a woman, for drinking beer, and deal with her so harshly?

Would Malaysia take the moderate path or push ahead with its religious laws? That is a tricky question. And Kartika is still standing tall, as the little girl that takes on a govt and a religious order run by powerful men.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A message that comes too late

Khairy Jamaluddin, the new UMNO Youth boss, has set a new agenda. He is calling on the Malays to stand up, have a new mindset and to lead Malaysia forward with compassion and magnanimity towards all races. He told the Malays to get rid of the seige mentality, that they are slow, backward, and needed to be protected, to 'civilisational confidence'. What he meant was that Malays must be confident of themselves and their ability to compete equally with everyone, with the ethnic minorities at home and the people across the world.

'For too long, Malays and Umno have been caught in a mindset that is negative and overly defensive....' Reflecting on this negative mindset, one wonders how a people who see themselves as backward, slow and lacking in intellect, be able to lead a nation forward? And that was what Malaysia was for the last 30 years under Mahathir. The latter claimed that Malays are stupid or less able than the rest, not sure if it includes himself. And if that is true, how then can Malaysia progress if it is being led by the less able?

Would Khairy's new message see a more confident and self assured Malay step forward to face the world squarely, as well as their minorities, and to move forward with the rest of the world?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahathir -Teaching maths and science in English

Dr Mahathir was the joker that transformed the Malaysian education scene during his 30-year reign as PM. In his nationalistic push for Malay supremacy, Malay became the main language of instruction and English was dismissed almost as non-essential. Malaysia is now facing the problems of his folly. The usage of English is dwindling. Malay students are finding it more difficult to learn English and their grades in Maths and Science are falling all because of their poor grasp of the language. And to make matters worst, there are not enough teachers that are proficient enough to teach using the English Language. And the solution to improve the grades of Malay students is to teach Maths and Science, in fact practically every subject, in Malay by year 2012. Education Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said that this policy will not be reversed.

Mohamad is now saying that English is not only for English people but a universal language. He also emphasised that English is the language of the Knowledge Age and Malaysia risked being colonised directly or indirectly if it fails to master English. How could he not realise how much harm he had done to Malaysia during his premiership? Isn't it a bit too late to reverse the trend? The policy of elevating the use of Bahasa Malaysia is important and necessary as a nation. But doing so does not mean that it should do away completely with the English Language. The whole world is learning the English Language to keep abreast with Science and Technology, while retaining their respective national languages. Malaysia is jut retaining the national language at the expense of English. The current generation of political leaders are still able to converse in the English Language efficiently. In another generation or two, they will need translators if they attend an international conference.

The poor command of the English Language in Malaysia is a Mahathir legacy. It took more than 30 years to reach this present state and it may not be reversed for the next 30 years, or forever. And Mahathir knows that he had done wrong and great harm to Malaysia and wanted to do amend. Too late. To reverse the clock, to unlearn and relearn the use of English will take generations. That is the way Malaysia will go.

The article is copied from Asian Correspondent.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decay is a slow process

Decay, like ageing, is a very slow process and takes years before one notices it. Once the signs of decay is visible and obvious, it is too late.

In a political system, decay can happen in the same way. Decay will creep in slowly and sometimes even promoted as something good or necesary. We have this culture of greed which is promoted as good. High prices of housing, astronomical salaries, high rentals and high cost of living as things that are desirable or inevitable. The consequences will come in the years ahead and when it does, it can be catastrophic. The American system is in an advance stage of decay and the financial crisis is only the first sign. They have injected a lot of botox into the system and it is looking good. But the rot is still rotting away. Botox can hide therot temporary but not remove the process of decay.

In Malaysia, the process of decay in promoting violence and allowing religious leaders to incite and agitate violence in the house of the almighty started 30 years ago. It is now a disease and the symptoms are everywhere. Unfortunately it is being condoned by the political leaders that it becomes part of the institution and culture. It is ok, it is encouraged. There is nothing wrong with calls for violence or threats of violence. No one in authority thinks that this is wrong and dangerous after it has being practised for so long.

Reverse the situation and picture the preachers or priests in other houses of gods doing the same, threatening violence, threatening to run amok and to kill! This will immediately trigger off a warning that it is dangerous. For this is not allow and have been suppressed for the good of peace and harmony. The wrong and danger it poses are obvious. For here the decay has not been allowed to start.

The 30 years of rotting and decay in the politics of Malaysia will have its adverse consequences if the rotting is left untreated. Everyone gets used to it and is not ruffled by it. Not everyone, sorry, only in some quarters. Even the torching of the churches did not see any clamping down on the violators and it is spreading across the country.

Can Malaysia allow the fire to spread? The moderates and rationals can see the danger. No they can't. Otherwise they would not feel so cool and comfortable talking about it as if attending an intellectual forum. It is violence, real violence, that is spreading.

The same decay in communal violence is starting in Australia and they are in a state of denial. No, the violence against the Indians are isolated cases and not racism. Just denying that they are not racist violence does not remove the disease. It has started to rot.

redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia, a new centre for Islamic revival

While the corrupt world goes down the gutter, Malaysia is rising as the new light of Islamic purity. It is protecting and reinterpreting Islam in the purest form that put all Islamic countries to shame. Now it is vigorously and aggressively protecting the right to the use of the word Allah by muslims. Non muslims cannot use this word. With such zeal in purity and fundamentalism, Malaysia will soon emerge as the new centre of learning for Islam. Kuala Lumpur would soon replace Mecca for the pilgrims. At last Malaysia has found a great religious and intellectual cause to fight for.

And they have UMNO to thank for. UMNO is supporting this position that Allah could only be used by muslims. It is explaining to the rest of the world that this be so. Malaysia is different. Malaysia is the new centre of Islamic enlightenment. Even PAS will be embarrassed for not supporting this cause.

Marina Mahathir has discovered a quote from Mohammed (pbuh) that Muslims should protect and respect other houses of worship, especially those of Christianity. I don't think the new Islamic scholars in Malaysia will pay heed to what Mohammed (pbuh) said or recognise this as his words. As for Indonesia, they are calling their muslim leaders and believers not to follow this new enlightment. Can we say that Indonesia is losing out on this enlightenment? What about the rest of the muslims world, the Arab world? Would they take the lead from Malaysia and start to reinterpret Islam like Malaysia?

I am sure some will, and some will flock to Malaysia for enlightenment.

redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shall the Malaysian Govt do?

When the court ruled that Allah can be used by non muslims, and when some religious leaders disagreed and preached to the followers that Allah can only be used by the muslims or Malaysian muslims, exclusive, or else it is against the Islam, what shall the Malaysian Govt do? When the reason to take such a strong position is to protect the unthinking followers from walking into a church and thinking that it is a mosque because Allah was used to refer to God, what shall the Malaysian Govt do? And when threats of violence was preached in a religious house, what shall the Malaysian Govt do?

Here we believe that the Malaysian leaders are well educated, well informed and moderate leaders who knew that the word Allah is an Arabic word for God, and many other races and religions have been using the word since time eternity before the Malaysian muslims start to use it. They must have known that Malaysia is the first country to claim ownership and exclusive used of the word Allah. They can claim any recipe, that would not be a problem if it originates from Malaysia. The Arabs who created this word do not think it is wrong for other people to use it, why should the Malaysian muslims insist that it is wrong? It is not even a Malay word. It belongs to the Arab community.

And if someone can quote Mohammed(pbuh) to correct the wrong impression in the use of the word, what shall the Malaysian Govt do?

This comes to the second point, the followers are assumed to be quite dull. Not I say. That they do not know the difference between a church and a mosque. Can the Malaysian Govt accept this kind of derogatory remark made on the followers? I think it is very rude and very insulting to brand them as such, that they are so simple minded.

And because of the above assumption and misrepresentation, and violence is the result, what shall the Malaysian Govt do?

Should the Malaysian Govt assume the responsibility of clarifying the misrepresentation, educate the followers that they have been misled, and quell the violent intent? Or should the Govt allow the misrepresentation, misunderstanding to continue, let the followers believe the wrong thing, and agree that they cannot think and go along with the interpretation and said, Malaysia is different from other countries and other people?

What's next, get the court to change its ruling or get the non muslims not to use the word Allah?

What shall the Malaysian Govt do?

redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Malaysia change its name to...

Is Malaysia a moderate Islamic state or a fundamentalistic one? The ST reported that it was not only the word Allah that was banned but Kaabah (the shrine in Mecca), Solat (prayer) and Baitullah ( House of God). And in the state of Pahang, 25 words were banned, which means non muslims cannot use them. Would I be infringing the ban by talking about it in the cyberspace, or would the Malaysian media be infringing the ban when reporting them? Is there any extremist country in the muslim world that has banned the used of such words by non muslims?

Among the words banned in Pahang is the word Khalifah (ruler of an Islamic state). What would happen should they change the title of Sultan to Khalifah? Would non muslims be allowed to address the Khalifahs or mention the word Khalifah?

At the rate that Malaysia is going, would it change its name to something more Islamic sounding?

redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is UMNO leading Malaysia and the Malays?

The current Allah crisis prompted the question of where UMNO is leading Malaysia to, in particular the Malays. Is Malaysia going to be more international, moderate and seeking economic growth for the benefits of its people? Or is Malaysia turning towards the path of radical Islam and flirting with the prospect of turning this peaceful country into another fiery ground for militant Muslims? Is UMNO leading the Malays to become more sophisticated and knowledgeable of the new world, or is it leading the Malays backward to the Middle Ages of puritanical and insulated religious way of life?

God knows. Or Allah knows.

UMNO is the leading party ruling Malaysia. It rests on its shoulders the future of Malaysia and the Malays. At the rate it is going, it is regressing into the Middle Ages with Middle Age knowledge and mentality as the guiding principles of how the country should be run. Is that what the Malays want? Is that progressive?

redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't point the finger!

Two mosques were damaged by arson in Muar yesterday. This is going to raise racial and religious tension further. Before anyone starts to agitate the mob, the moderate leaders must stand up to put down this fire quickly. It is so easy and convenient to point the fingers at the non Malays for obvious reasons.

But take a step back and ask whether the non Malays are stupid enough to invite a potential genocide against them. The May 13 Incident is still very clear in their minds on what will happen to them should a racial riot breaks out. With this in mind, no rational non Malays would dare to provoke the Malays with such stupid acts. It is simply insanity.

For the attack to happen it is a signal that things are not going to be so peaceful. The under current is very strong and may be difficult to control. The Malaysian leadership must bear on all quarters out to stir more troubles for the country and set it burning. This time the tragedy will be 10 fold worst than May 13 if it is allowed to spin out of control.

May Allah bring some wisdom to Malaysia and prevent more incidents from happening.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wild boar heads

Two heads of wild boars were found in two mosques in KL. The culprits were so familiar with the CCTV in the mosques that they could evade from being caught in camera. Who would be familiar with the locations of the CCTV cameras? And why wild boars? Would it not be easier to go to the butchers in the market and collect them? But of course people will know who you are.

What could you guys make out of these two incidents, and likely commited by the same person or groups of people. And the victims are agitated. Burning of churches, the victims were not agitated.

And Khairy Kamaruddin is threatening to retaliate. Does he know who did these to retaliate against? Why no Christians dare to talk about retaliating?

I am very sure Allah knows exactly who were the culprits to the mischiefs. Let them be punished by Allah.

redbean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Najib calling Malaysians to return home

Najib is putting his neck on the chopping block by calling for a change in govt policies, from favouring Malays to helping the poor. It is a fundamental shift to give a kick start to the stalled Malaysian economy but at the same time compromising on the position of Malay supremacy. This line of policy could undermine his position as the PM when the ultras make their war cry. And with Mahathir showing his true blue ultraism, Najib will come under strong pressure and may be ousted from power.

So what now? Even if Najib is genuine, how long could he last? One term, half term or two terms? What next when another ultra takes over the premiership?

The problem with Malaysia is the inconsistency of govt positions and the tendency to revert to extreme racist policies. Whatever Najib or any new PM may want to steer the country towards a fairer and more progressive system, there is a stronger underlying current that will threaten to derail it.

Would any successful professional Malaysians take the bait and return home to rebuild a new Malaysia? I think this is far fetched. Malaysians, what are your views?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahathir continues to insult Malays

After leading Malaysia down the racist road for more than 20 years, he finally revealed what he really is. Mahathir spoke at a Melayu Bangkit rally in Kuala Trengganu. As reported in Malaysiakini, he warned the Malays that they would suffer the fate of their cousins in Singapore, becoming a minority and unprotected by the Govt. He was partially right but mostly wrong.

The minority status of the Singapore Malay came about by chance, or a legacy of the British Empire. The majority Chinese did not consciously planned it that way. Two, the status of the Malays here is like they are being deprived and in a sorry state, according to Mahathir. Is that so? Many of the Malays here are better educated and trained professionally than the elite that he created with half baked degrees and education. He should be envious of the state of professional development of the Malays in Singapore vis a vis those in Malaysia.

Three, with all the Malay Rights enshrined in the Malaysian Constitution, with Malays in the majority, with Malays in absolute control of political power, with the non Malays conceding the status of Malay Rights in the Constitution, there is not an ounce of a chance that the Malays will lose their prime status in Malaysia. And there are no colonial masters to put a gun at their foreheads, no colonial District Officers to manage the Sultans.
The Malaysian Malays are highly politicized and know their rights and no one can take that away from them. So what is Mahathir fanning?

He is still deriding the Malays as an incapable race, a genetically flawed race that cannot compete with other races on merits. Unfortunately many Malays believe in his proclamation, that they are an inferior race. Is that the truth? Does Mahathir think that because he is not a pure Malay he can look down on the Malays? Are the Malays going to continue to accept the insults from Mahathir as the truth?

The Malays in Singapore have proven many times that they can do it, compete with everyone on equal terms. Many Malays students are among the top students in schools here. Is that enough proof that given the right environment and motivation, they dont need the crutch. They are fully able to stand on their two feet. But if they are taught and repeatedly told that they are no good, how are they to gain the confidence to have faith in their own abilities?

They have to thank Mahathir for the crutch mentality.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of the Mahathir's story

He chose his date for his last battle, May 13. They rejected him. Still, a month later, he spoke with the same venom. He tried to incite the Malays against the other races. Thank God, they ignored him. That was his last show and he failed.

During his reign, a speech like that would have UMNO leaders kissing the keris, UMNO Youth supporters on the streets of KL and Kampong Bahru, threatening to run amok. And further south, Johore UMNO branch will be shouting across the causeway at you know who.

These could only happened in a coordinated move by an edict. This time no edict and the event slipped away. So hopefully will Mahathir. But his legacy and the mindset he helped to nurture over the 20 over years of his leadership will continue to drive the thinking of conservative and ultra Malays.

Vincent Tan may not get his toto booth licence with the conservative Malays threatening to organise a 100,000 men protest. A Chinese group attempted to take over a bank but the Malays protested that banks should be Malay owned. I am not sure if there is still a Chinese owned bank in Malaysia.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signs of cracks coming to the open

I hope branch leaders do not make statements that they do not like Singaporeans investing here.

We must be consistent with our signals both from the top and bottom. What is the difference of an investor from the United States or Singapore? There is no difference actually.

We cannot be carried away with emotions or be parochial as we must realise that we are in the 21st century and the country must be developed, Najib said....

These are clear signs that opposition towards Najib's policy to bring Malaysia to the 21st Century, to become a competitive country like the rest of the developing world, is meeting strong resistance. There must be some quarters trying very hard to derail what he is doing. And UMNO Johore seems to be a good candidate especially when there are so many issues that can be stirred. The railway station issue, crooked bridge issue and the Iskandar DR are still works in progress.

Having been kept and held back for so many years with tribal and communal politics and mindset, it is not easy to bring them forward to see the new world. The medieval forces are as strong as the forces of modernisation.

Singaporean investors will be more worried of their investments in IDR and how long Najib will last. And as the investments are going to be long term, what's next or who's next after Najib?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> World Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: