Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Blow, blow the Wind of Change!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching the movie Pearl Harbour last weekend. It was very well done. The aerial sequences when the Japanese Zeros dove in to bury the American sailors in the harbour. The pictorial and sound effect were just as powerful. The Americans were so helpless and miserable.

One statement from Colonel Doolittle, I think that was his name, went like this. 'In times like this, they will appear.'

He was referring to a historical moment when some great men will just appear in the scene and rewrite history. Malaysia has just seen that moment and Anwar plus a few men from PAS and DAP were there to make history.

Bet you, Singapore's history will be remade when the historic moment arrives. Great men will take over from boys to lead the way. The moment will come.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SDP protest took place

I thought it was another joke. But it did took place on Saturday at Parliament House led by Chee Soon Juan and his SDP comrades. And 15 of them wearing red T shirt with the words 'Tak Boleh Tahan' on their chests to protest against the rising cost of living.

It was reported that 15 were arrested subsequently.

Chee Juan Soon has taken over as the 'bu tao ong', the infallible toy. He has taken over the position of JB Jeyaratnam. You can whip him, jail him, bankrupt him, he will be back.

This is another sad story of how opposition politicians could end up. Very pathetic for a first world democracy.
panter92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those protesters were troublemakers. They don't know how to make use of any opportunity presented to them properly. They insist on sudden changes and not gradual.

Well, people with such impulse will never succeed. They will just go on and on until they get tired after realising that it does not work.
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever others might say about Dr Chee Soon Juan, I take off my hat for him. He really got the determination, perserverance and guts to do the things that many others, including king pins within the ruling party, dare not do or prefer not to do (so as to save their own rice bowl and skin).

I believe if he continues on and on: protest and get arrested, charged in court and jailed, released and made bankrupt, and come back stronger and stronger with more and more followers, the day will come that his deeds would bear fruits.

Before, I was thinking that this man is nothing but a trouble maker but today after reading a few of his books, I have come to realise that this man is no ordinary man. For one thing, his balls are much bigger than ours. Moreover, he is now seen by many, especially foreign correspondents, as the champion of all activism within this island state called Sickapore (Sick because we are led by a cancerously sick man).

Before, I used to dislike him because I thought he had kicked out Mr Chiam See Tong from the SDP but now I can easily forgive him for that, as I think he is a much better man than Mr Chiam in terms of championing the cause of the underdogs, the commoners, the poor and the unwanted. Whereas, for the past 15 years or so, Mr Chiam seems to be a nice man but actually cannot make much headway in broadening his power-base other than trying very hard to retain his seat at Potong Pasir.

The public is solely dependent upon news from the Straight Times and Media Corpse; therefore, their perception of this man could be slighted and slanted towards what they have read from one-sided propaganda and indoctrination. That was what had happened to me 15 years ago. Then I decided to stop buying and reading the Straight Times and looked towards the Internet for my news, local and international. Because of that I have saved some money and also broaden my perceptions and unlearned what I had learned wrongly before. Our views are actually colored by the input that we get from different sources at different times, in a matrix. That's why we have to be aware of ourselves all the time especially when someone constantly feed us with what they want us to know but hide away those that they don't want us to know. There are many examples that have surfaced in recent times and I think you all know those cases as well as me.

Go get a few books written by Dr Chee Soon Juan, especially the one titled "Courage", and read and you would understand him better. He may be our future PM. If that is the will of Heaven. Who knows?
panter92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Chee Soon Juan becomes the PM of Singapore, the first thing I will do is leave the country. He will make sudden changes in Singapore. Changes that ought to be gradual.

Singaporeans may suddenly find themselves totally free. There will be hesitancy among the most of us as we have lived for years without so much freedom. Singapore is a country, which no matter what, needs a government that can make the right decisions, not popular decisions.

Giving us Singaporeans freedom like that may be what most Singaporeans really want, but that is for now. Singaporeans haven't got the real knowledge of what total freedom really is. They just don't know and they want it.
Grunt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am taking this good government to task and if they can't handle it
please do not BRAG !

Don't know whether you people remember this.

Some time back when an MP said that the people felt betrayed,
she was censured and the rebuttal was if there was there would be
people protesting outside the Parliament's gate !

Now there was, they just locked them up ......................................

How convenient and lame !

Official's do really have more than one foul mouth !

how would one knows that if CSJ becomes PM the changes would come
fast and furious ..........please do not put foot in mouth like our good
government before seeing the reality and you sure you won't be
around to see what fruits it brings before crying wolf ... ?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tower of Babel crashing down

God said, 'With one mighty stroke I shall bring you down.' According to the Bible, God detests the arrogance of man. When man started to declare how able he was, God stood up. When man demanded gold from his fellowmen for his talent which was a gift of God, God cringed.

The Tower of Babel must come down. Cracks are showing on every wall that it has built. This is God's answer to humble the arrogant man. Will man take note of the wrath of God? No way. Tomorrow, after a night of good sleep, man shall awake and be as arrogant as yesterday.

The fall of man will be repeated over and over again.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we need a change?

Come to think of it, we don't need any change. We have the best political system in the world. We have proven to the world that ours is a system that works. Our people are paid among the highest in the world in every profession. Even our cleaners and sweepers are being paid more than managers and professionals in many countries. This is not simple boasting. It is real.

We have defied all the philosophers and even the founding fathers of America. We have a system that is better than democracy or communism. It is our unique brand. We have ensured that only the best and talented and incorruptibles are selected to lead the countries. We don't even need a strong opposition to act as the nations's conscience.

We don't need to build an infrastructure of checks and balances. With upright and honest people in charge, nothing can go wrong. And if come to the worst, we have vested powers in a strong elected President to check the abuses of a rogue govt.

It is time the world comes to learn from us. This is our greatest contrirbution to mankind. A near perfect system that will check itself from any wrong doings or falling into the hands of a rogue dictator or a bunch of crooks in the future.

Who says our system is fallible? If it is, it will have been tweaked long ago. We don't leave such things to chance.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk tsk tsk

When I wrote the above article I expect people to rebut my points vigorously and point out all the flaws in my arguments. I would like forumers and bloggers to challenge the conventional truth or the accepted truth. And it is very easy to tear away at the positions I took.

Our system is far from perfect. It is like a story in Disneyland. It is based on many assumptions that normally do not happen in the real world. And if they do, it is a temporary phenomenon, like a rainbow. It will not last.

The first assumption is that we will always be blessed with wise, honourable and selfless men who will be in position of power to keep the lid on. And these wise men will be able to select equally honourable and selfless men to carry on with the job of good governance. Even now we are seeing the cracks and the peelings are coming off.

And do we really believe that an elected President can check on a rogue govt? The evidence has proven otherwise. A rogue govt could simply bundle the President out of the Istana. Or they could simply ignore him, don't provide him with the information to work on. Just shut him out.

And the President will not be able to protest outside the Parliament without a permit. He will be arrested.

Where is the check and balance? Who is to check the guards or guardians? The Mas Selamat case is a good example. Who is to check the wise and honourable men if they turn bad?

Our system cannot last after LKY. It needs a very strong man to pull all the strings to get everyone in line. Once this is not present, everything will be scattered all over the place.

There is a saying, 'tree falls monkeys scatter.'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore has bagged another World First on 27 Feb 2008:

First To Let a Limping Terrorist Chief Escape from Top-Security Prison!

This is Lee Hsien Loong's City of Possibilities! How wonderful!
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: CSJ's Reply to AP Fernandez Reply with quote

Dr Chee Soon Juan's Reply to Paul Antony Fernandez's Advice

I thank Mr Paul Antony Fernandez for his advice (Advice to Chee: Don't waste taxpayers' money, ST, 20 March 2008; see below). Unfortunately, it is misplaced.

Just because Mr Fernandez is "grateful" and "appreciative" of the Government does not mean that it is right for the ruling party to ignore the Constitution that guarantees the right of Singaporeans to freedoms of speech and peaceful assembly.

For every Paul Antony Fernandez who is leading a "trouble-free life", there are several others who toil under an unforgiving economic regime that strips them of all dignity and hope.

The writer has a well-constructed channel to express his love for what benefits him. What about those who disagree with him?

They have two ways of making their views heard: One is through the elections. The other is through peaceful public assembly. Both are guaranteed under the Constitution and absolutely essential to a functioning democracy.

Just as Mr Fernandez does not think that elections are a waste of taxpayers' money, why should he think that way about public protests?

Perhaps its because in elections the PAP can bribe and intimidate voters, fix the opposition, and make up the rules as it goes along in order to achieve a certain outcome.

The result is that, in such unfair and unfree elections, issues important to voters become submerged under the onslaught of misinformation propagated by the PAP-controlled media.

Note that Freedom House, in its annual report, states that "Citizens of Singapore cannot democratically change their government." The Asia Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) observed the 2006 general elections and concluded that reform of the election system is needed.

Such control of the citizens' views and the production of a predetermined outcome in elections is much more difficult to achieve in public protests.

In addition, it is only through peaceful mass protests that the people can compel the PAP Government to reform the election system.

Mr Fernandez also wants the SDP to "form a coalition and work in tandem with the ruling party." This sounds curiously similar to what Mr Peh Shing Huei had advocated in his piece "The partitioning of the opposition."

There seems to be an effort to try to get the SDP to accept the ruling party as the unchallenged power and for the opposition to be a political ornament in a PAP-state.

It must be made absolutely clear that under such a one-party system, the only way for the opposition to work in tandem with the ruling party is for us to abandon our democratic principles and become client-party of the PAP.

In case it is not already clear, let me reiterate the party's stand: The SDP is not for sale.

We make this pledge to the people of Singapore: We will continue to fight to empower Singaporeans so that they can have a voice in the policies that affect their everyday lives.

Peaceful assemblies, especially in an authoritarian state where elections are manipulated, are far from a waste of taxpayers' money; they are the lifeline of the disenfranchised, the weak and the voiceless.

Chee Soon Juan
Secretary-General
Singapore Democratic Party

===============================================

Well done Dr Chee Soon Juan! Salute!

I actually wanted to give my "advice" to this angmor who thinks just because he had lived a comfortable life in Singapore and being "grateful" and "appreciative" of the Government can start to meddle in the politics of Singapore and the lives of local Singaporeans. Owing to my busy schedule, I have delayed responding to his letter to the Straits Times.

I am very glad that Dr Chee has stood up for all of us against this foreigner's disguised insult to the intelligence of Singaporeans.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad hustlings in a democracy

Anyone reading what is happening in Malaysia will be full of praise of the democratic process and freedom of expression. Mahathir is openly accusing Abdullah, the PM, of nurturing corruption and cronyism. In return abdullah is saying that Mahathir is a hypocrite, that he was the one who imprisoned critcs without trial and curtailing press freedom during his rule. 'These were all his orders from time to time,' said Abdullah.

I wonder what will happen if such statements were made in our rule of law country? Both of them will be suing each other to bankruptcy.

This airing of dirty linen in the open is bad, bad for the individuals and bad for the party, and bad for democracy and freedom of expression. We should not have such things in our clean and faultless country. We need to spend our energy in development and making more money instead of squabbling big time.

Thank god we are spared from such vibes and we can maintain a certain level of respectability and decorum.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the political elite?

I grumbled a few times about the silence of our local elite on political and social matters except for the presence of Catherine Lim and Ngiam Tong Dow. Not much or nothing was heard from all those who could lend weight to an issue. Now, after reading what Conrad Raj had written in Today this morning, I found my answer.

They are all hiding in local clubs, plotting and politiking against one another. 'They(clubs) also seem to be places where aspiring or frustrated politicians and lawyers try to exhibit their craft, much to the chagrin of other members. Litigation to assert their perceived rights is a common recourse.' Said Conrad Raj.

How true. And being pragmatic people, raised in a culture of pragmatism, where else is a better and safer place to show how good they are? The opposition parties should make an attempt to infiltrate into these clubs and do their recruitments there. But then again, knowing the pragmatic mentality, these elite are unlikely to venture into anything riskier than the comfort zones provided by clubs.

Nice hiding places.
redblood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by redblood on Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great place to hunt for politicians

The SICC was in the news recently on issues like who whispered about who and who had married more than once or guilty of bigamy. Today the SCC is in the news, this time about who were overstaying in office.

It was reported that President Anwarul Haque, deputy President Leow Kim Liat and games control board Chairman Jurgen Martiens have been in office longer than usual. A member, Teh Leong, is challenging the three on grounds that a Rule 34 allows 'the maximum term of president, dep president, chairman of games control board and finance member is three consecutive years.To be eligible again, an affected office holder has to stand down for at least a year.'

Mavis Toh reported that Anwarul has been president since 2001, Leow and Martiens both have been in office for more than three years.

It is now a legal tussle and lawyers were engaged to unravel the meaning of Rule 34.

The SCC is a microcosm of what Singapore is like. A place with a dearth of political talents and leaders. Given such a serious problem, the Rule 34 has provided for past office holders to stand up for reelection, but for good corporate governance I think, a break of one year is required.

In my view, this is all unnecessary. With good and honourable men in charge, there is no need for such provisions. There is a great shortage of such talents and it is better and desirable for them to continue serving for the good of the club for as long as they can. Otherwise, if no other talent is available or willing to stand for office, like Anwarul being elected unopposed, then the club will end up with no leadership.

All these rules on one term or two terms should be abolished and amended. The SCC is a club of luminaries and many eminent lawyers and there is no fear of wrongdoings or another NKf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20

Jump to: