Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
singapore, a city for 7-8 millions
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: singapore, a city for 7-8 millions Reply with quote

is this a too ambitious plan for the limited land that we have to grow? all or most of our policy decisions are anchored onto this assumption, that we need such a big population to be viable. can we really afford that? the first victim to fall to this ambitious plan is the size of hdb flats. the rooms are getting smaller, not forgetting the price remains or getting higher. they forgot to introduce a drug so that all singaporeans will be no taller than 5 feet high. that may make the new miniature flats more hospitable to live in.

how much more land must we reclaim or create, and how much more reserve lands must we convert for the doubling of our population? how many more roads must be built to cater for a doubling of vehicles on the roads, and car parks as well. or maybe by then no cars will be allowed on the roads and transportation is my mass public transport. only a very few would be allowed to own cars to avoid road congestion. and the schools, hospitals, essential services and recreational activities, can they have enough capacities to cope with the demand.

have they also forgotten that the water we drink is going to be filtered by double the amount of people? and the air we breathe will be exchanged by the 8 million people in this small little space. would it be too contaminated or too contagious for living?

for the moment we can still breathe quite easily, a little more elbow room to push around. when the population is doubled, can we imagine what life will be in this little island?

would it be better to let the population grow at its natural pace, with a little assistance instead of applying the instant tree methodology? 4 million, maybe 5 million and stabilise at that?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous said...
I do not think that we need 7 million,the fact is that we would not be able to achieve 7 million,as confirmed by MM recently.

If we do get 7 million,majority of our population would be in permanent transit.

November 01, 2005 5:34 PM

Anonymous said...
I do not think that we need 7 million,the fact is that we would not be able to achieve 7 million,as confirmed by MM recently.

If we do get 7 million,majority of our population would be in permanent transit.

November 01, 2005 5:34 PM

redbean said...
it is easy to reach 7 million if they don't rethink and hold their horses and simply open the immigration floodgate. many from the neighbouring countries, india and china, will be most willing to use singapore as a transit to the western hemisphere. get a singapore citizen and then move on.

we will be the real suckers.

if we do reach 7 million, all our resources and facilities will be under tremendous stress. it will be better if we copy some ideas from europe where they sit on their wealth, improve the quality of life of their people and make living a joy rather than a perpetual slogging race.

November 02, 2005 8:10 AM

redbean said...
with the huge reserve that we have, we are a very rich nation on a per capita basis. but if the population is doubled, our wealth will be halved unless the reserve is doubled.

when will the govt start to use the reserve to better the livelihood of the lesser well off citizens? or shall it continue to build on the reserve and be like the dog chasing its tail and never to catch it.

November 02, 2005 12:05 PM

it is easy to reach 7 million if they don't rethink and hold their horses and simply open the immigration floodgate. many from the neighbouring countries, india and china, will be most willing to use singapore as a transit to the western hemisphere. get a singapore citizen and then move on.

we will be the real suckers.

if we do reach 7 million, all our resources and facilities will be under tremendous stress. it will be better if we copy some ideas from europe where they sit on their wealth, improve the quality of life of their people and make living a joy rather than a perpetual slogging race.

November 02, 2005 8:10 AM

redbean said...
with the huge reserve that we have, we are a very rich nation on a per capita basis. but if the population is doubled, our wealth will be halved unless the reserve is doubled.

when will the govt start to use the reserve to better the livelihood of the lesser well off citizens? or shall it continue to build on the reserve and be like the dog chasing its tail and never to catch it.

November 02, 2005 12:05 PM
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenomenal growth in population

We are now 4.68 million! Another 1.8 million and we are there, 6.5 million. Not bad. Think we can be there in two years.

And we don't even feel the squeeze. Maybe 10 million is a reasonable target.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee Shop Talk - A shameful sight at the Esplanade.

To: ALL 1 of 11

Was walking around the esplanade yesterday and some sinkie that I came across there coupled with my experience of working with quite a few others in my work prompted me to write some observation here.

What I saw at the esplanade along the bay front.

(1)A group of teenager, both guy & gal, around the age of 14-16 were running in rank and file, one carrying a flag and the worse part....they were singing "1 little 2 little 3 little indian...." in singlish tone. I turn my eye away in disgust...
I observed that some foreign tourist there were also looking at this sinkies with shocked and amused expression, what a shame...

(2)At the esplanade a play for kids was being conducted at the foyer . Nothing wrong, except that the play was conducted in singlish....I covered my ears in disgust. I also notice that all the audience crowding around the play were sinkies, a lot of them in heartlander attire. No foreigners were in sight, they must have found the crap equally repulsive.

At work I have also been constantly irritated and pissed off by sinkie corporate customer who do not see thing in a bigger and strategic picture but always like to focus and argue on nitty gritty things, where they think that they are the "master" in applying their "western trained logical thinking" into analysis. They failed to realize how stupid it is to be wasting time discussing and arguing on things that will not serve any major or strategic purpose. In short, they think they are very smart and always like to pass comment and opinion with a tone of certainty. I always avoid working with sinkie customer as far as possible.

It seem that 30 years of education has only manage to produce crops of stupid, naive, petty and worse arrogant freaks that are neither appreciated or accepted in the east or in the west. Sad...

I must admit that I find this terribly amusing. I too sang that song in school as a kid. And everyone of us sang it with gusto, prompted by the teachers. It was such a nice children song to teach us to sing, to count and to read.

Never has it occurred to me that in today's context it is offensive. I never thought it so, the children of all the races did not think so then, the teachers of all races did not think so then too.

Even today I don't think so. This guy who posted this article in Sammyboy forum must be a FT and terribly paranoid. Maybe he got his point. Maybe that is the reason why Black September Day failed.

I am thinking of singing the song here. It is ringing in my ears. Better not, less I offended anyone. The MOE must send out a circular to ban this song.
Grunt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You believe those fire starters at Sammyboy forum !

Then you got to get your head examine !

For a start, the Indians referred are Red not Black !
Those with feathers on their head.
The song was for the calvary to pratice their shooting skill......
by Septimus Winner in 1868, originally it was Ten Little Niggers.

Reversely, like sinkies is very honourable and non-derogatory.
Although, do believe they lack plenty of political backbone.

So no fret.
No love lost.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammyboy is a racist blog that is for sure. And there are many fire starters there. I agree.

What I am less than amused is that this little indian song, in our context, was never meant to be derogatory, can become an issue in the wrong hands or in the wrong mind.

We need to be careful and kick the butts of these racists. Only racists can think that this little song is racists.

The original red indian context by the white racists does not mean that the schools were racist when they adopted the song. Maybe they were too innocent. But during those early years, the different races were less antagonistic than they are today. Sad but it is true.

The spirit of the song was different.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They failed to realize how stupid it is to be wasting time discussing and arguing on things that will not serve any major or strategic purpose. In short, they think they are very smart and always like to pass comment and opinion with a tone of certainty. I always avoid working with sinkie customer as far as possible.

You didn't ask why this smug FT didn't think it a waste of time to discuss such nitty gritty nothingness that served no strategic purposes. Or you think his grunting served a strategic purpose?
Grunt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, believe was done by our own rather than FTs.
Will not be surprised if they are all salaried workers paid by some
controlling agency.

Either that or some childish students eat full full nothing to do as the
case always.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't rule out any possibilities. And in Sammyboy you can see all kinds of bloggers with very dubious background at work. You just don't know who you are dealing with.

I was examing this article and tend to think that it is not what you think. Maybe a paid blogger, but a different type. Any Singaporean that has grown out of our system will be very comfortable with that nursery rhyme and would not think twice about it.

It is likely to have been initiated by someone new to the scene. Anyway, a paid blogger of the kind you are suggesting is less likely to stir something like this.

Ok, possible to be from some big kids.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sad example.

He poured urine on a young child's head and slapping many for misbehaviour.

His lawyer said he did all these to help the boys. 'He stayed on out of a sense of purpose to improve the boys' lot. There is no evidence to suggest that he stayed on merely to abuse the boys.'
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about possibilities

Geylang is seeing its first protest from the locals. On one side of the lorong, the conservatively dressed and slightly older women were fuming. Their placards and banners screamed, 'Give us back our jobs,' 'This is unfair competition,' 'We have children and family to look after,' 'We have 50 more years to work.'

On the other side of the lorong, young, sexy and scantily dressed foreign service providers continue to ply their trade, inviting streams of customers to their haunts. Occasionally they will turn their heads, give their luscious long hair a flip, and give a sneering glance at the aunties across the roads. It is like saying, 'If you don't have it, don't blame us.'

There used to be defined turfs for each group of service providers. And everyone guarding their territories with teeth and finger nails. Today, we have globalised, we open up to invite the best talents from overseas to compete with our locals, based on talents, skills, and abilities. We practise free trade and meritocracy. If you don't measure up, just too bad.

It is good to see the skin trade having some competition from foreign talents. It is good to see the locals standing up and fighting for their rice bowls. In the meantime the children at home will have lesser to eat.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irreversible demographic change

The speed at which the population is changing and its effects on Singaporeans is an area of great concern. Does the govt need to consult the people, getting a referendum for such a major change that can affect their lives adversely?

Or as Josephine Teo said, when the govt has carefully considered the problem and think that it is good for the people, it has all the right to go ahead with it?

This demographic change is going to affect those living now and the future generation for good or for the worst. It is no joking matter.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting squeezed or living in comfort?

Siamak Adibi, a foreign talent, and Darren Chong, wrote to Today about their concerns over the issues of limited resources and a growing population. Siamak is considering leaving if the condition gets worst. Our hospitals and public facilities are over taxed. People have to queue and wait for hours to see the doctors even with appointments. Public parks and utilities are stretched.

Then Pritam Paul, another FT, dismissed such concerns and praised the great and liveable conditions we are having. He compared to India when the conditions were appalling and chastised Singaporeans for not knowing the paradise that they have.

Mark Lee posted another letter saying that we, as a first world country, should measure ourselves against first world countries and their conditions of living. We should be comparing ourselves with Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto, Montreal or Copahagen or similar places, definitely not with Manila, Mumbai, Bangkok, Hanoi or Jakarta.

What Mark said is simply not to distort the truth by using poor and inappropriate examples. This is as good as lying.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessary for 6.5m population

Ngiam Tong Dow has reviewed his thoughts and felt that the population target of 6.5m needs to be reviewed. This is an old number done many years back and the changes in technology has made this number not so valid today.

I think he is feeling the sense of frustration and despair among the population on this push for 6.5m. He is calling for a rethink. Sad that with so many brilliant brains, it needs an old master to tell them what to do. Don't they think? Are they brave enough to relook at old premises and say, hey, they don't look right?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2 billion projects delayed

The delay is to reduce the reliance on more foreign workers. Has the message of the presence of a sea of foreign workers sank in? The daily commentary and expression of views in the msm are signs that the welcome is wearing thin. The agitations and discomfort will grow as time goes by.

Now what it needs is for some foreign workers to be recruited into organised crimes and the wrath of the people will just explode. And when hostility blows into the open, it can become ugly.

Let's manage this foreign presence and don't think that we are a country like American or Australia. We are too small and we have already too huge a foreign presence to test our tolerance. Up to a certain level, foreigners are welcome. Once the limit is exceeded, some kind of xenophobia will appear. It is only natural.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: