Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Just a reminder to infidelity!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next PM controversies

Chok Tong is worried that there is not enough time to appoint a PM designate to learn the ropes and tricks of the trade to be the next PM. His time frame is a few months and nothing more or it would be too late and too little. On the other hand, from statements made by Hsien Loong, what is the farce all about? In good time the problem, if there is one, would sort out itself. What is there to worry about?

And in his latest public statement from New Delhi Hsien Loong talked about a cabinet reshuffle after the budget reading in Parliament but categorically confirmed that the PM designate would not be assigned, or there would be no appointment of a new DPM for this purpose. Hsien Loong is in charge and he is comfortable or not unduly worried that there will not be enough time for the new PM to learn and to settle in for the new job.

The ding dong going on at the top may have come to an abrupt end and nothing more would come from Chok Tong again on this matter. But there are signs that things are getting hot and people are rattled. The young Turks, the group where the next PM would come from or would in a way decide the next PM, not Hsien Loong if you believe in the PAP's official statements, that is what the public is made to believe, has came up with a joint statement on the succession issue as reported in CNA.

''In the statement issued on Jan 4, the office holders said they were "keenly aware" that leadership succession is "a pressing issue", given that PM Lee has said he intends to step down after the next General Election.

"We are conscious of our responsibility, are working closely together as a team, and will settle on a leader from amongst us in good time," they added.

The statement was signed by 16 of the younger office holders - comprising Speaker of Parliament Tan Chuan-Jin, 10 ministers and five senior ministers of state. The names of Senior Ministers of State Maliki Osman, Lam Pin Min and Amy Khor were absent from the list.''

The 16 seem to agree with Chok Tong that the succession is a pressing issue but also agree with Hsien Loong that there is nothing to worry about the timing to name a PM designate. Brilliant statement! The loophole exposed by this statement speaks of a hurried decision to say something resulting in a few, or 3 ministers of state were inadvertently left out from the list. This may seem to be a slip of mind and Hsien Loong has told the people not to make too much of those that were left out.

"I think a lot was made of the fact that they left out (some of the Senior Ministers of State's) names there. I think they didn't intend to do that, and I don't think you should put a lot of weight on that."

There are only a few ministers of state and they knew each other very well. To miss out one minister of state could be a slip of the mind. To miss out two ministers of statement is unusual. To miss out three ministers of statement cannot be anything but not normal. The PAP is not a slipshod party, or is it, was it, that 3 ministers of state could be left out in an important joint statement on the succession issue to show unity and seen as normal? This situation would definitely send tongues awagging, that something is sorely amiss.

What is the missing jigsaw piece that let to the 3 ministers of state being left out? How many people would accept Hsien Loong's explanation that there is nothing to it? I think many people would be asking themselves why and what to make out of it. At the very least, they would think PAP is now capable to making such a simple mistake that is unnecessary and should not have happened at all.

What do you think? Were the 3 ministers of statement intentionally left out and if so, what could be the reason? If not, then is this ok, or is this slipshod acceptable? What is the message?

Back to the issue of a PM designate. Chok Tong may have his reasons why time is running out. Hsien Loong thinks he has all the time and even planned for his stepping down after the next GE. This is all good and pretty. Given his medical condition and the unpredictability of nature, would it be prudent to appoint a PM designate quick and fast or be prepared for a power struggle when there is a power vacuum due to an unfortunate event? Should things come to this state, the 4G PM hopefuls can kiss their chances goodbye as the two DPMs would then become the real contenders while they continue to muddle around not knowing who is the crown prince.

When Hsien Loong is still in charge, everyone would tow the line and accept the 4G scheme. When Hsien Loong is not in charge, everything goes and the strongest contenders would be the two DPMs. The boys would not stand a chance as they did not have anything good to show except being told that they are next in line for PM like a birth right, bypassing the DPMs. Their ground is weak and slippery.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contempt of Court?
Below are some discussions in the TRE regarding MPs writing to the courts. This issue was also reported in the main media. The discussions assumed that it was alright and an acceptable practice to write to the court on a pending case or a case under trial. Do these people understand the meaning of contempt of court?

What is contempt of court? To influence the judges to make decisions for or against the parties in a case. And knowing how sensitive and easily influenced are the judges even to social media, Shanmugam had warned the public not to anyhow write about a case when it is in court. Think about it, if the judges can be easily influenced by public opinions of nobodies in social media, not I say one, how much more would they be affected by letters from MPs or even ministers? (Personally I think the judges are highly trained professionals and with high integrity and would not be easily influenced by any Tom, Dick and Harry). Read below and form your own conclusion on the arrogance, ignorance and insensitivity of MPs writing to judges on a case.

And the party has no specific rules regarding writing to judges except a few words by LKY not to do so but nothing about writing to the judges is contempt of court! Is influencing the judges a contempt of court?

"Two weeks ago, High Court judge See Kee Oon questioned an appellant’s use of a letter from her MP Lam Pin Min (Sengkang West) to play down the offence she was convicted of. (Juz wondering? MP White Horse? Or spouse White Horse or grassroots tua kee?

Kee Chui, Minister and Chief Whip, was then quoted by ST as saying that the PAP has “no specific governing rules” on the sending of MP letters to the courts or other agencies or ministries.
A retired district judge, Mr Low Wee Ping, who was the Registrar of the Subordinate Courts and Supreme Court in the 1980s, in a letter to ST, said one Harry Lee had instructed all MPs, in writing, that they should not write such letters to the courts.

Mr Lee was also of the view that if the MP’s constituent resident perceived his sentence imposed by the court as lenient, he might attribute it solely to the MP’s letter, and, therefore, feel obligated or grateful to vote for the MP in an election wrote

Also

MPs approached by TODAY, such as West Coast GRC MP Patrick Tay, said they are aware of the “long-standing practice” for PAP MPs not to write to the courts on behalf of their constituents*."
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contempt of court – part 2
My first part on contempt of court was quite well received but Matilah was not too happy saying that I did not understand the meaning of contempt of court. Let me then quote in brief and easy terms what contempt of court is all about using a paragraph from CNA from an article by Lianne Chia on 15 Aug 2016.
“there are three main types of conduct which constitute contempt of court. These are disobeying court orders, such as refusing to pay a sum of money ordered by the court, publishing material that interferes with on-going proceedings and making allegations of bias against the judges.”
In my previous article I touched on the part about MPs writing to judges when a case is in court that would influence the decisions of the court. This is similar to the above para on publishing material that interferes with on going proceedings, tiok or not? Or is writing to the judges is not publishing material so tak pakai? Actually if the statutes are crafted in such a way, a clever lawyer would split hair and say writing to judges is not the same as publishing material. So the second part, the most important point, ie, interferes with on going proceedings are not applicable. And the judges would have to decide if the argument make sense or the intent and purpose were not to interfere with a court proceeding, ie influencing a judge’s decision on a case. The judges can either use his judgement to decide on this matter or say the law is not clear and ask Parliament to amend or rewrite the law to make it clear, like anything written to the judges or in print would also count as long as it interferes with the court proceeding.
Actually court proceeding and judgement can also be differentiated as the two are not the same. But never mind, I am more interested in the third point in the above para, ie making allegations of bias against the judges. Read this carefully, making allegations of bias against the judges. What about making allegations that the judges are stupid, simpletons, naïve, unprofessional, incompetent, can be easily influence by public opinions or social media? Would a person be charged for contempt of court to suggest, question or insinuate that the judges are stupid, or fools, lack the ability to be impartial and could be easily influenced by public opinions or comments in social media? See what I am getting at?
Would a person make comments that see the judges no up, insults the judges, that the judges are not very clever, fickle minded, unprofessional and would make decisions because of public opinions or silly comments by anonymous writers or bloggers be charged for contempt of court?
I think anyone who insinuates that our judges are stupid or naïve, or gullible should be guilty of contempt of court.
What do you think?
PS. I have full respect for our judges. They are professionally trained, and learned men and women with many years of experience on the job, not with fake degrees and qualifications from degree mills or from third world countries, and are very competent and know their jobs and the law very well. I swear that this is the truth and nothing but the truth. I will be dumbfounded if our judges are not what I believe like the third world countries. Please show some respect to our judges.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A childish parliament versus an adult parliament
How can there be a childish parliament? You are right, all parliaments are for adults, national leaders, men and women and some very young men and young women. There is no parliament for children. The only parliament that is for children is a moot parliament that sometimes the schools would organize to educate the children and let them do some role playing to experience what the lives of adults would be like.
In a childish parliament, you can expect them to speak childishly and behave childishly as it is only natural for children to do so. And the language used would be childish as well. Any bad words used would not be tolerated and they would squirm and report to the teacher in charge. In a childish parliament, you would not expect them to be rude or to talk nonsense, oops, maybe children will do, occasionally as they would not know the difference.
Of course a childish parliament would not stand up to the adult’s expectation of honesty, integrity and truthfulness, at best like a debate. Oh yes, a childish parliament would have all the rules like in a debate. Everyone would be allowed to speak with a limited time and in decorum, speak good English, no Ingrish or Singlish. And no telling grandfather and grandmother stories.
Why, because time is precious in a debate. Each one is only given a limited time and they cannot afford to waste time telling grandfather stories. In a real adult parliament, you can imagine how much time is wasted if a parliamentarian wasted one hour telling grandfather stories. Not only he/she would waste her/his one hour, but the one hour of the PM, the ministers and all the MPs. And if this is broadcast over TV, it would waste the time of millions of viewers. Time is precious even in a childish parliament.
Actually, I think, an adult parliament has a lot to learn from a childish parliament. There are good things, good rules to learn from a childish parliament. Those good debaters should conduct lessons on how to speak well, speak eloquently in an adult parliament, even conduct good Ingrish lessons.
Another important thing about childish parliament is that they would not allow anyone to talk cock. The girls would be blushing. And if a boy were to get angry and shout, fuck you, the girls would be running out to hike in the toilet, some would faint. That is what childish parliament would be like.
Teacher, teacher, he cannot say like dat, cannot use bad words.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger without his father
Tiger Woods has returned to play competitive golf again. He more or less disappeared, lost, for almost a decade after the demise of his father. Tiger Woods was in supreme form when his father was alive and guiding him with a firm hand. Tiger Woods was unbeatable with his father standing beside him like a pillar of strength.
The day his father passed away his game collapsed. He was lost. He destroyed everything he had, his family, including himself. His discipline life was in a mess. And so was his game. He fumbled and stumbled and lost not only his top world ranking, but could not win a competition henceforth. His sickness also took a toll on him. His back was crippling him.
Everyone who knew Tiger wrote him off completely. Tiger Woods without his father was a hapless child. He needed his father badly to bring his game back but everyday seemed to confirm that his glorious days were gone, game over.
A fortnight back in the Valspar Open Tiger Woods almost won. He came in second, losing only by a stroke. The Tiger that everyone wrote off is back and in contention. His return to golf and playing to win is most welcomed by the golfing world.
Tiger Woods has rediscovered himself. Tiger Woods has changed and found himself. He is now a man of his own. He has proven that he can win without his father. He has stepped out of the shadow of his father.
A Tiger Woods that can triumph over himself and play on his own merit, without the need for his father’s presence would be more fearsome and even better than before. The new revived Tiger Woods is going to take the world of golf all over again as a new man. More victories would come his way. There is nothing more formidable than a man who is his own man and can win on his own steam, without his father watching over him.
Tiger Woods is the man.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump – You are fired
Trump is reprising his role in the Apprentice with a new vigour and vitality. This time he is real. He is proving to be the no nonsense boss. Anyone that falls below his expectation will be fired. Trump as a leader of a nation has no excuse or tolerance for sub par performance or non performance. Anyone in his cabinet must perform or be sacked.
In a way Trump is showing the world of incompetent leaders what leadership is all about. It is all about putting good men and women in position of power, authority and responsibility. He cannot accept mediocrity. This speaks very well of Trump and leaders of nation state have a lot to learn from him. Leaders that tolerate incompetence and nincompoohs or surrounded themselves with clowns are doing a disservice to their countries and people.
Trump may be harsh but very decisive. He is still in the process of finding good men and women to make America great again. He would find them sooner or later and America would be great again. Never in the history of the USA and the democratic world where so many pretentious men and women, cronies, were put into positions of power and responsibility but doing nothing useful or failing in their jobs.
Trump is changing everything to do the right thing. Do your job and do it right or be fired. There is no excuse for incompetence. Many in the establishment have been dead wood for too long and pretending to be working and pretending to be doing a good job. No one can bluff Trump. He kicked asses.
Trump is proving himself to be one of the rare leaders that popped up in time of great crisis. There is a crisis of leadership in the USA and the democratic world. Great leaders, real leaders, are needed to lead, not to mislead.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value of HDB flats
Do not be envious of the guy owning a million dollar HDB flat. You could be richer than that guy even if you are living in a $300k HDB flat. The real value of the flat is not what it is quoted. It is the real market value and the market value of HDB flat is what the market is willing to pay for it. After 50 years, the real value would take a plunge and the dive will get steeper with each passing year.
Why is the guy owning a $300k HDB flat richer than the guy in a $1m HDB flat? The value is time, the number of years left in the lease. As an example, the $300k flat could have a 90 year lease left but the $1m flat could be left with 50 years. So in 50 years time the guy will consume all the remainder of the lease and be left with nothing. The $300k guy would still have 40 years of lease or value.
In the Singapore context, many would be left eating up the remaining lease if they are not able to sell off the flat in time. For those who bought direct from HDB, they are luckier as they would not outlive their lease. For those who bought in the open market, resale, especially the younger buyers and buying flats with shorter leases, they could outlive the lease and ended up surrendering their zero value flat before they mati, and become homeless.
Remember, the value of your flat is measured mainly in time, the remaining lease available and the market value will fall drastically as the lease nears its expiry.
Be warned when you are considering a resale flat. Watch the years left in the lease. You could buy yourself a time bomb that would blow up in your face before you realise your folly.
The fake balloon of an ever appreciating HDB flat is about to be pricked. Conned? No, you choose to believe the con man. It is your fault for not thinking. In the game of musical chair, don’t be the one holding the can when the music stops.
Would someone in Parliament one day blurb out that the HDB is not yours just like your CPF money is not yours, but a longer rental, like the cars with a longer COE.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Phillip Ang underestimating the dignity of Chok Tong?
"....Lau Goh and LKY were each paid an estimated $4.123 million when Nathan’s pay increased to $4.267 million. Just what did the ass-et enhancer, Swiss standard Lau Goh contribute to Singapore to deserve more than $4 million as SM has remained a mystery till today."

The above is quoted from Phillip Ang's article in the TRE on LKY and Chok Tong's more than $4 million salary. For the information of Phillip Ang, the salaries he quoted were just basic salaries. Their salaries included bonuses, 13th month, performance/productivity bonuses and dunno what which could come to many times more than what Phillip had mentioned. This is like not giving them due recognition to their dignity. They deserved more and were paid more in total salaries.

Give the men their due dignity and don't under estimate or under quote their annual income. I would accept Phillip's numbers if he qualified them by saying that they were basic salary.

I do not have the actual figures. Anyone of you know exactly how much they were paid in total?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysian GE – Lessons to be learnt
The Malaysian GE is exciting simply because the politicians are politicians, not school boys and school girls that would not talk to each other or would not want to friend with those that belonged to other parties and indulged in talking bad about each other. Being politicians, the main objective is seizing power, through the ballot box to set the agenda of the country, is above everything. They did not go into politics to stand for election just to run a constituency or a town council, and be bashed around by the ruling party. In politics it is either you win or lose, especially in third world countries when political power resides in the hands of political gangsters.
What can the school boy and school girl politicians in Singapore learn from Malaysia? The first thing is to be able to put aside their differences and work together to win political power. There is no political enemy forever, but the unchanging object to win political power.
Look at how Mahathir and Anwar and the non bumi parties jumping into bed together to fight Najib and UMNO, they were sworn enemies at a time. Moral principles? In politics, moral principles are used only to con the people, to look good. In reality, many were the most devious crooks you ever know, putting on a façade of decency and high morals, honour, justice and fairness. These are only to deceive the people. What the politicians said and do are two entirely different things. Look at Donald Trump and all the women he knew and all the lawsuits. What morality is one talking about, honourable, respectable, dignity?
When would the Singapore politicians grow up and fight the political contest as politicians and put aside their egos, their differences and personal dislike of one another and be real politicians? Of course there are genuine scoundrels that should be kept far away. In Singapore, the school boy and school girl politicians are angels compare to those across the causeway. There is no reason why our little angels cannot get together, hold hands and kiss each other for the sake of fighting an election.
Do not be contended with just selling lemonade in a school carnival. Go for the real stuff, with one goal, to march into parliament in force, if needed to, with other politicians from different parties. If they cannot see this goal, cannot put away their differences, then every GE will be the same, school boys and school girls playing adults and pretending to be politicians.
Would the next GE be the same as before? They still have a couple of years to think it through. Look at the Malaysian GE carefully and learn what there is to learn from the real politicians, grow up and stop kidding yourself.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore severely constrained by space – Lawrence Wong
Singapore constrained by space? I thought I heard many wise men and wise women talking about Singapore big enough to accommodate 6.9m people, some said 10m, some said 15m and some said even more. Now we only have a miserable 5.6m and Lawrence Wong is saying in Parliament that Singapore is severely constrained by space, so cannot anyhow extend the lease of HDB flats. Who is telling the truth, who is spreading fake news, who is lying? Or all of them are telling the truth?
When Lawrence Wong said Singapore is constrained by space, what was his basis? Based on 5.6m, 10m or 15m?
The extention of HDB lease after the expiry of 99 years is a complex problem. There is a big problem of not enough land for public housing in the future for our children and grandchildren. He went on to say ‘The govt must grapple with these questions, study the matter and do the responsible thing.’ What responsible thing? Like bringing in more foreigners to increase the population to 6.9m, to 10m or more?
What action is responsible and what is irresponsible? What action would lead to a severely constraint in space for public housing? And who is the irresponsible one to cause this severely constrained problem for Singaporeans?
Can this problem be avoided? Is it so difficult to prevent this problem?
I am now so confused? Really ah, got severely constrained space problem ah? How can that be when so many wise men and wise women are advocating a population of 6.9m, 10m or 15m or more? Who is talking rubbish?
How convinced and convicted is Lawrence Wong about the problem of severe constraint in space? If he believes what he is saying, should not he be telling Parliament to stop the influx of more foreigners into the country immediately and also telling those that are peddling for 10m or 20m population to have their heads checked? Or he does not believe in what he was saying, so say say only. No need to take any action because it is not true?
What is the truth?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking fees - Pay to serve and defend nation
When everything is reduced to dollar and cents, everyone will become mercenaries, money minded. The notion of nation and state, of loyalty and honour, selflessness, devotion and duty would not count any more except in monetary terms. How much is loyalty, honour, duty? How much is defending the country, dying for the country? Who would be stupid enough to want to defend the country and die for a few hundred dollars when others are grabbing in the millions?

With the introduction of parking fees in military camps and even in schools, the financial burden to pay for parking in these premises would bear on the soldiers and teachers who often than not, volunteer extra time, their own time, to do more, to remain in camps and schools, to serve and to do that little bit more for the nation and students.

When time spent in schools and camps is now being charged, by parking fees, would the soldiers and teachers still want to stay in the camps and schools, feel so free and willing to go back to the camps and schools, to do more, to walk that extra mile?

Why would people want to pay to do more, to serve the people and defend the nation? The amount may not be big, but it is the same story of being penny wise pound foolish. Do not forget, going back to schools and camps burns petrol dollars as well. Now the teachers have to think of money burning away plus paying parking fees to do extra. How many teachers and soldiers would be put off by these increases and rather stay at home and enjoy their own private time? When everything is about money, in this case it is an extension of the desperation to find more money for the govt because somewhere there is a big hole to be filled, and a big crack that is leaking money, so finding more money in taxes and fees at all cost becomes the rule of the day.

The well being of school children and national defence take a backseat, not as important as finding more money. In such desperation, even the pockets of teachers and soldiers are not spared. The consequences could be lesser teachers and soldiers remaining in schools and camps than necessary to volunteer their services to the children and the nation. What for when such noble acts are not appreciated, probably regarded as being daft?

Stupidity has no cure despite the rubbish they spurt from their anus which they think are good reasons, sound logic, wisdom for doing so. They would not know that they are talking nonsense and sounding silly. For a few dollars, they are killing the initiative and drive of those who want to volunteer to do more for nation and people.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore sinking deeper into the Villain’s Hole
Singapore pats its own back for hosting the premier Show of the Hustler and the Kid in Sentosa and with pride telling the world that it is a friend to everyone and is neutral in the game of geopolitics. How far is this from the truth?
It does not take much for Singapore to lose its head and compromises itself willingly with a little flattery. Singapore seems oblivious to its role in antagonizing China in the South China Sea last year and in a way has resumed this role all over again. The evil American Empire has been provoking, agitating and challenging China at its door step. It has recruited two more diehard ex colonial powers to do its bidding to beat war drums in China’s courtyard by sailing their warships in the South China Sea claiming innocent passage and freedom of navigation.
Why is Singapore implicated in these acts of hostility and international gangsterism? Dunno? Sure, when one is intoxicated by a little flattery of self importance, one would forget what one is doing, even conniving with the gangsters to irritate and provoke their enemy, not Singapore’s enemy, and ended making one also an enemy of the targeted country.
The evil Americans have been launching their provocative actions in the South China Sea from their base in Singapore. Now would this make Singapore an accomplice to their hostile acts? The French and the British Navy also made use of the base in Singapore as stopovers, for refueling, resupply, servicing and R&R for their crews while on the way to provoke and challenge China in the South China Sea. Now, would the convenience provided by Singapore make Singapore a willing partner and a gang member in this game of hostility towards China?
What do you think? Does Singapore know that the Americans, Brits and the French were using Singapore as a base for their gangsterism and in challenging China’s sovereignity? Ignorance is no excuse, this is no kid’s stuff. Is Singapore comfortable with being a part of this western gangsterism and aggression against China? How long would it take for Singapore to wake up to know what it is doing, willingly or unwillingly that is hostile to China’s core interest?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Trump Summit in Singapore, Malaysia
Malaysia should be happy for the publicity given in the Kim Trump Summit without having to spend a cent. Thanks to the idiots in the US State Dept for not knowing where Singapore is and still thinking that Singapore is a city in Malaysia. Some of the hillbillies would still think that Singapore is still a part of China.

This means that all the billions spent in F1 races and what not did not do any good to present to the world that Singapore is an independent city state in SE Asia, at the furthest southern tip of the Asia continent, the furthest one can go on land to the south. For one the Americans did not get it. Any jokers still want to waste public money on F1s to put Singapore in the world map?

How could Singapore avoid being thought of as a city in Malaysia or in China?

It's elementary Watson. Just import more Indians to Singapore, and appoint more Indian ministers to the cabinet. This last step has been taken and Trump would not be blame for thinking that Singapore is an Indian state. He probably nudged Pompeo that the later made a mistake, Singapore was not in Malaysia but in India. When the Indians make up the majority of Singaporeans and Indian ministers become a majority in the cabinet, no one would then think that Singapore is in Malaysia or in China.

At worst they would write Singapore, India on the envelope. And one good thing, SIA can keep its initial as Singapore Indian Airline. DBS may have to change to DBI. The next Kim Trump Summit the US State Dept would put the venue as Singapore, India...not Singapore, Malaysia or Singapore, China. President Halimah can officially called herself as the Indian President of Singapore to make it more effective.

No need to sweat the small stuff. And Mahathir better not to call himself Indian or the hillbillies would think that he is the Indian Prime Minister of Singapore.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Singapore News

Is this a third world country? Is this a country suffering from abject poverty? This is a recent picture taken by Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan when he visited North Korea in June 2018. Have you be duped by the western media?

6/25/2018

What Kim Jong Un must not learn from Singapore

Yahoo News reported that North Korea has produced a film about the Kim Trump Summit and also how impressed Kim was of Singapore and wanted to learn from Singapore. "But this film lavished praise on prosperous, capitalist Singapore, lauding the "clean, beautiful and advanced" nation and suggesting it had lessons to offer.
"Our comrade supreme leader said he is eager to learn the excellent knowledge and experiences in various fields from your country," the state media presenter cited Kim as telling Singapore officials."

Indeed any developing country's leaders would be impressed with the infrastructure of Singapore and its development and wanted to learn from Singapore. Only those that are impossible to teach or already chose not to learn from Singapore would stubbornly refused to learn from Singapore. But before any country plunged blindly into the mind trap of learning from Singapore, they must be very clear what they want to learn, the good stuff and not the bad stuff.

Among the things that Kim must not from Singapore are the things that China also refused to learn from Singapore. Perhaps it would be better for Kim to have a chat with Xi Jinping first and learn what he should not learn from Singapore.

I would suggest the following things that Kim should avoid with a ten foot pole.
1. Do not pay their govt officials out of this world salaries to become instant millionaires. North Korea has no fear of any govt official becoming corrupt even if corruption is in the blood, They have effectively killed this notion among North Korean officials without the need to pay them crazily.
2. Do not dip into the people's life savings.
3. Do not blindly enhance the asset value of properties. This is a vicious cycle that can only lead to eventual self destruct. In other words, do not allow property prices to runaway uncontrolled.
4. Do not bring in foreigners excessively to take over the country and jobs of the Korean people.
5.Please add on....

Kim must also remember not to lose his country to foreigners or give up his country to foreigners when foreigners become Koreans with Korean citizenship and take over his country.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahathir is doing Singapore a big favour

The recent talks that Mahathir is back to his old self by raising the issue of the water agreement with Singapore has received many comments from the Singapore leaders. And the response has not been kind and complimentary. This old dog is insane and running out of tricks. So he is going to give Singapore some hard time on the fate of the water agreement. There may not be another water agreement if Mahathir has his way. He is going to dictate his terms, like $100 per thousand gallons instead of 3 Malaysian cents. With the current exchange rate, the 3c looks even more ridiculous.

Look at it from another angle, Mahathir is actually doing Singaporeans a big favour. Mahathir has reminded Singapore that it should not take the water agreement for granted. Malaysia may just not want to renew the water agreement when it expires without breaching any contractual agreements. And what can Singapore do about it? More desalination plants? How many more and what would be the cost of water if more and more desalination plants are built?

Mahathir is in a way telling the reckless and irresponsible people to rethink about increasing the population to 7m, 10m or 15m or more. Can Singapore go on recklessly increasing its population without taking into consideration the supply of water and other essential services like power and electricity and food, housing and transportation?

The planning premises, that there would always be enough water, with Malaysia supplying a big portion of Singapore's increasing demand for water because it is crazy enough to want to bring in more and more people to inflate the economy for no better reasons, are dicey and precarious. Singapore cannot afford to madly increase its population without solving the water supply problem. Period.

Thank you Mahathir, for waking the daft from their stupor and building castles in the air, that everything is fine, there will always be enough water coming from Malaysia.

Maybe Singapore can think of building a reservoir in the sky, like cloud computing. That would be an innovative way of solving all our water supply problems.

What do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 40 of 41

Jump to: