Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Just a reminder to infidelity!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money nobody wants

Believe me, money on the floor and no one wants to pick them up. I was in town and walking past a shallow drain, the type that is less 10cm deep, just a little below ground level. And there were 3 coins in it, 2 ten cents and 1 twenty cents. And the drain was dry and clean.

Everyone just walked by without bordering to pick them up. Now I know why beggars are asking for $2!
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mountain of political capital

Over the last 40 years the Govt has amassed a huge mountain of political capital for bringing development and prosperity to the country and people. This is an undeniable fact.

Recently we are seeing the Govt drawing on this capital and spending on matters which no Govt would dare to dream of. Policies and decisions that were often an outright affront to the people were pushed out without a blink of the eye. They may think that they have a lot of political capital to spend.

Political capital is very different from a savings account where $1000 spent is $1000k less and the rest remain. A single event or unacceptable decision can cause a mountain of capital to disappear overnight.

Getting Chee Hian to announce the 21% pay hike and telling the people that it is not enough and another round is coming is banking too much on his individual political capital and clout. Does Chee Hean has that to carry this through? Yet to see.

In my view there is only one man who has earned enough political capital to make such an annoucement and at most get a few bruises. Even Chok Tong is no longer in such a position to make such statements. He has spent all his political capital or his political capital has been spent.

The rest of the cabinet, some may have a little capital, but not really that much to get away with outrageous decisions or policies.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money Not Enough

We used to sneer at the poorer Singaporeans for their endless complaints that money is not enough. We sneered at people with $250 and asking for $50 more, the taxi drivers earning $3000 and wanting $9000 or the doctor who earns a million and wanting $5m.

This is a negative way of looking at people and their drive to improve themselves. It is this drive, the greed to want more that keep these people asking for more and striving to improve themselves. We all know that greed has two sides. On the positive side it is a very powerful motivator, a great stimuli to keep people going.

The news reported that Suharto has a strong will to live because of his army training. This is bull shit. It is greed. The greed to see his wealth and enjoy his wealth. The greed to live longer to protect that wealth.

Greed or money not enough is in our blood. We are what we are today because of greed. If I were to form a political party, I will name it MNE Party or Money Not Enough Party. The party will then be assured of attracting the best brains to serve. The reward is real. It is truth and not tooth. Talented people will all volunteer to join the party. Nothing to hide, nothing to pretend. They will openly say they are in for the money.

The good thing about a MNE Party is that there will be no hypocrisy. You get what you see and be proud of it. Alternatively can call it GIG Party, or Greed Is Good Party.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born, age, sick and die

These changes the life of Gotama Buddha, the prince. Suharto’s images on TV is a grim reminder to everyone that this is their fate, especially in this paradise. It would not happen to many elsewhere. But here, everything is possible, especially when you have a lot of money to spend in your dying days. It is not cheap to have all the tubes hooked on you and running out of your nostrils and mouth and whatever part of the body they deemed fit to attach them.

If I have a choice, I would not allow it to happen. I rather have my $30k in my Medisave be locked away and then pass on to my children. Not much money though. Unlike Suharto with his millions and billions and everyone waiting to snatch it back for one reason or another. Looking at him in his helpless and pathetic state, who knows what will happen to his children’s wealth.

Matilah would say let the show go on and for everyone to enjoy it. It may be a tragedy waiting to happen.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$290 definitely enough

The ministry is reviewing the need to revise the $290 for the Public Assistance Scheme and understandably it will take time, maybe a year, as it is tax payers money that is being given out, and got to be very careful in spending such money. In the meantime let me make a guesstimate on how much would such folks need to get by.

Say $2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch and dinner. That's $8 a day or $240 pm. Another $50 for rental and PUB bills. Just nice. And at year end give them a little angpow of $50 to buy a few pieces of new clothing. That should do.

For such a sum, the frugal and thrifty may even have some savings if they rely on instant noodles, add an egg, a few pieces of vegetables or tauhu or ikan bilis. Great and healthy meal and got money to spare too.

If Boon Wan would to review the sum, I think he will err on the side of generosity and may round it up to $300. That will be nice.

As for me, I must also plan for my retirement. I am looking for a job that will pay me $5k pm on retirement when I do practically nothing. That will be very nice. And if I spend $8 a day on food, I will have plenty of money to live like a king on weekends in Batam. Wow, getting $5k pm on retirement and doing sweet nothing.

Anyone got such a lobang please let me know.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complaint Choir

What kind of performance is this? Complaints, complaints, complaints! Why don't they sing praises? Do they think that just because we are opening up, getting looser, foreigners can come here and sing about complaints?

Complaints about Singapore are only for Singaporeans. Foreigners can sing or joke about our complaints outside of Singapore. Then we can shut our ears to them and we will be alright, and they will be alright too.

The complaint Choir can only perform by Singaporeans only. I think this is something understood by all. Sometimes people also not happy if I make negative comments about Singaporeans and they tell me to shut up or shift out too.

We are really uptight aren't we? We cannot joke about ourselves or complaint about things that we are not happy about. For doing so is just like telling lies. We need to sing more hymns and praises and everyone will be happier. Can't we just hear the good stuff?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choking the toilet

There was this solitary toilet next to a big restaurant. You can imagine what it was like when the customers are all full, belly like 48 gallon drums. All will head to the toilet at the same time. Sure jam. Big queue, long queue.

The the jamban jaga got smart. In order to reduce the number of people queuing up, he raised the entry fee to the jamban. He solved the long queue problem.

But there were no jamban around. Not his problem. These overfed people must find another jamban or go to the backlanes.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not short of talents

How can we be short of talents when we can easily create more? Ah Meng could be a great talent if we pay her more than peanuts and bananas. As such, Ah Meng would probably be remembered as a peanut and banana talent. Imagine if Ah Meng is paid $1m! He will instantly be a million dollar talent.

Creating talent in paradise is so easier. Just pour money onto the person.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper crust

Both SICC and SIA were in the news, two law suits involving the cream of our society, the privilege class. It was interesting to read the petty details of the cases, especially when the masses always look at this distinguished class of people from a distance with great admiration and envy.

Face it, money is just a facade to give some signs of impeccability and dignity. Beneath that, human beans are human beans and they all eat and shit just like everyone else.

What astonished me is to read this statement in the paper, 'All we did was to capitalise on it.' Capitalise on people's private life, little silly mistakes or indiscretion, blowing up in the msm, seems a normal game in paradise. If this kind of things becomes an acceptable norm of social behaviour, we can forget about gracefulness. We are just as good as anyone in any little corners of the world. We are just petty human beans in disguise. Let's not breathe a word about being ethical and on moral high grounds.

In paradise, things are more precarious as everyone seems to know everyone or hear something from everyone. And if everyone is going to capitalise on such information, we will have a very exciting and colourful society.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Cool Words

There is a Chinese saying, something like speaking windy cool words, or fen liang hua. It doesn't require much skill though. Anyone with a few million bucks should be in a position to do it. Even the Ah Longs are quite adept at such phrases.

A frequent encounter between an Ah Long and his debtor can go like this, after the beating up and paying up of course. 'I advise you huh, got no money don't try to gamble or live like a rich man ah. And don't borrow money from Ah Long. Live within your means. Got money eat more, no money eat less. Then your life will be better, no need beating from Ah Long. See.

Then every year got angpow from the govt some more, then can go for a short holiday in Malaysia. With a roof on your head, with enough food to eat, even house brand never mind, what more is there to be unhappy about. Live a simple and happy life.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong place to look for role models

Edison Chen said he was not a good role model. His girlfriends in the videos admitted that they were naive. Why would children all look up to these bad role models and naive girls as role models?

There are many good role models in many other professions. The last place to look for role models, you know where.

The most naive group of people coming out from this episode are those people who look at them as role models.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Wee Kim Wee

I read a post in Sammyboy forum praising Wee Kim Wee as the humble and down to earth president that Singaporean loved. And another forumer saying that no one could get his name wrong as you could read it forward and backward and still got it right.

With all due respect to President Wee, let's hope no reporter or msm is going to print his name in the western format with his family name behind his name.

Fry the bugger if it is in the local press.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A case for selective comparison

Many Singaporeans have taken issue with the length of NS that our young men have to serve and lost 2 years of their precious youth. Some are suggesting that the 2 years are still too long and can be shortened. I am not going to agree or disagree with that kind of thought.

Ok, let's adopt our favourite past time and practice and do some selective comparisons. I think Taiwan and South Korea both have nationals service and the duration is about one and a half to two years. Israel probably the same or more.

How about about nearest neighbour, Malaysia? They can do their national service in 3 months or 6 months. And only a few are selected to do NS. Maybe we can have something in between. Something in between is also a good thing. Laughing
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100,000 mouth!

Singapore has developed a new mini tooth implant that could save the patients a lot of money. It was reported that the sum could come to $70k for a full mouth job. That could possibly put the cost of a full job to well over $100k using the old technology.

Imagine putting $100k inside a mouth. The $6m bionic man is now a reality with so many parts to change and upgrade.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2000 Reward for lost poodle

The owner was distraught after losing her pet poodle. The poodle was so important to her that she is losing sleep and not eating well. She has combed every corner of her neighbourhood but still no sign of her dear poodle.

Finally she decided to cough up $2000 as a reward to anyone who finds the poodle. She knew that there is no free lunch. Why would people run around looking for her poodle for free?

I am planning to visit nature today. I have Sungei Buloh, Pierce Reservoir, MacRitchie and Bukit Timah nature reserves in mind. Maybe Labrador Park as well. And I will be on the look out for the poodle. I may chance upon seeing it and pocket $2000. That would save to pay for my petrol and time.

Money sure is a great motivator especially for something so valuable and important. And I am planning to go to Ubin and Sentosa next week for a try. Maybe the zoo and birdpark as well.

Now why would I want to go to the zoo and the birdpark to search for a poodle, and the islands as well? The monetary reward of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 3 of 42

Jump to: