Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Social and Economic Development in Singapore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Singapore closing down on April 1
Contact Singapore, Singapore’s on line portal to attract overseas Singaporeans to return home will be closing down on April 1 claiming that it has succeeded in its mission. The statestimesreview has another take, that is if closing down due to its failure to attract Singaporeans home. Which is the truth?
This is Contact Singapore’s mission posted in the statestimesreview, “When the Contact Singapore alliance was formed in 2008, we wanted to make Singapore a place where global talent would call home, from which they could flourish and contribute. Nine years on, we think Contact Singapore has succeeded in its mission.”
I think by reading the above mission statement, Contact Singapore has indeed succeeded in its mission ‘to make Singapore a place where global talent would call home.’ The mission statement is not about attracting overseas Singaporeans to come home but about global talent to make Singapore home. And if you look around Singapore, when more than half of the population is foreigners, new citizens, PRs and EP holders, indeed Contact Singapore has succeeded in what it set out to do.
The notion that it is set up to attract Singaporeans home is not the primary mission. If that is the case, it would be said so specifically. What it said is global talent, not overseas Singaporean talent.
I am sure many overseas Singaporeans would want to come home, after all Singapore is home, where they grew up and all the memories, friends and relatives are. Why would they choose to stay overseas and not wanting to return home? Is it that the good jobs are given to foreigners and Singaporeans were sidelined in favour of foreigners? Looking at the tertiary institutions and many GLCs this is apparently so. When talented Singaporeans find themselves bypassed for top jobs, even terminated or not offered these positions, why should they stay at home? If Contact Singapore is really serious in attracting overseas Singaporeans home, just offer them equivalent jobs that have been given to foreigners with dubious track records and there would be many willing to come home.
Has Singapore done something wrong to drive Singaporeans away from home? Or Singapore is encouraging Singaporeans to work overseas so that it can replace them with funny FTs to work in Singapore? Which is which? No one would want to leave the comfort of home behind, to uproot and work overseas unless the offer is so attractive or they are being forced out by the deplorable employment scene at home where foreigners became the first choice to Singaporeans.
What is or was Contact Singapore’s real mission? Did it succeed or did it fail?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water price hike and new social behaviour
The govt is taking proactive actions to warn the hawkers not to raise prices to benefit from profiteering. And very likely, in my dreams, that the hawkers would follow this call religiously. Some hawkers even said they would not pass down the hike to the consumers and would absorb the increase in cost. This is something you can only hear in heaven when everyone is so saintly and angel like.
Let’s believe that the hawkers and food sellers would not pass the burden to their customers and everything will be as before. Look at the other areas where this price hike would hit the people. Maids in the condominium would likely be asked to bath in the common bathrooms beside the swimming pools or gymnasium. All public facilities like toilets would be doubly well patronized for sure. I have seen office workers brushing their teeth in the office toilets. Soon more will follow suit and they may even bath in the office bathrooms if available.
In the case of public toilets, would they start charging for usage? Oh, toilet facilities in shopping centres would also be a hot favourite place, in Changi Airport too.
Would employers start to restrict the number of times a worker can bathe, how long they can bathe because of this water hike?
Then there are the wet markets, hawker centres, foodcourts that required daily wash up. Would the frequency and duration be shortened? Water is not cheap now and these operators must be made to feel the heat of higher water prices. And when the heat is on, would they stinge on washing up their stalls and the hawker centres and food courts? Would they stop washing their food during preparation, would they cut down on water when washing the crockery and eating utensils? Would the hygiene of food preparation be compromised, would the eating places be less washed and deteriorated into waste land?
Would buses and trains be more smelly when people cut down on personal hygiene, bathe less, use less water, don’t wash their clothings that often? Water festivals would be banned I supposed which would not be good for integrating the foreigners here, not respecting their festivals.
One good point is that human noses are very adaptable and soon everyone would be used to the smell and get on with their lives with the new normal.
The greetings of 'jiat pah buay' would be changed to 'chang chui buay'.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAP will get 75% in next GE

Some critics are saying that this PAP govt is looney. Look at the slate of increases in taxes, fees and more to come and how well they are received by the citizens and you will know how popular is this govt and how strong is the support from the people. After raising education fees, SC&C charges, water fees by 30%, transport fares going to be next and the most comprehensive tax of all, the GST, you can only expect more as the govt is so confident that the people will accept them as gratitude to the good and incorruptible govt and their good policies. It is ok if a few Singaporeans are unemployed, underemployed or forced to retire, they know that it is their faults for being so, unable to compete with the influx of highly talented foreigners, so they will happily go for retraining to take on less skill jobs.

What is important is that all of them would gratefully vote for the PAP in the next GE or in many more GE's to come. There is a very strong bond between the people and the govt. Some may question why 70% voted for the PAP in the last GE and still in shock, in disbelief. The Lee Kuan Yew effect was there and played a significant role to swing the votes. But what is more important and reliable is statistics.

By now 50% of the citizens are likely to be new citizens. This means 50% of the votes would go to the PAP from the new citizens. The balance of 50% could be divided into 50:50, for and against the PAP, ie 30% hard core and 20% swing votes. This would give the PAP another 25% of the votes to make it 75%. It was 70% in the last GE which was an indication that the full impact of foreigners turned new citizens was not enough and there was still a bigger swing votes for the opposition or against the PAP.

By the next GE in 2020 you can expect the new citizens, I don't use the word Singaporeans as it would put the original Singaporeans together with the new Singaporeans in one group, and very misleading. The new citizens are very appreciative of the good life given to them by the PAP, citizenship, cheap housing and good jobs that they could never find anywhere else, definitely not in their God forsaken home countries. And somehow their talents got raised to an unbelieverable level, all better than daft Singaporeans. How would they not vote for their benefactor, the PAP?

With the number of new citizens still increasing rapidly, the 75% votes for the PAP is a given in 2020. No amount of rallies and convincing arguments could change the statistical advantage of the PAP. More new citizens would mean more votes for the PAP. When more than 50% of the population is new citizens, translated to guaranteed votes, the battle is over before it even started.

Now you know why despite all the big increases and the cock thinking 30% water fee hike the PAP is still confident of winning the next GE hands down? And now do you know why there is no public protest for all the hikes? The original Singaporeans are now a minority and have resigned to their fate. Their only choice is to migrate or to be downtrodden by the new talents from little unknown villages. There is nothing they can do now. The PAP is double confirmed to rule till SG100.
Do not under estimate the power of mathematics and the magic of mathematicians.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to lose your country?
In the past losing your country was usually through conquest. The foreigners just marched in, killed the kings and proclaimed themselves as the new kings. Then the colonialists came, doing almost the same, some just planted their flags and claimed they found the land and the land belonged to them. Many silly Asians still read this in their history books and accepted this silliness.
In order to defend themselves and their countries, armies were raised with paid or unpaid soldiers, trained to fight and die to defend the country, the people and their way of life. The soldiers are there to protect the country and people from foreigners coming to rob and loot them and to occupy their country, to the country as theirs.
With globalization, things are changing. It is a good thing to invite foreigners to your country, to take over your country, to change your way of life. The big question, why is there still a need for soldiers, to defend what when foreigners are happily invited home to take over what you have built, to be owners of your country?
Still don’t understand? Ok, let me give you a simple and real example that is easy to understand. This is reported in YahooNews.
‘A 51-year-old owner of a three-room flat in Hougang Avenue 8 was forced to move out of his own home, after his tenants (a couple) refused to leave the flat, reported Shin Min Daily News.
The homeowner, who works at a supermarket, began renting his flat out 10 years ago to supplement his income.
The couple moved into his home in July 2013. After paying their rent for the next nine months, the couple suddenly stopped making their payments and even refused to move out.
With this, the homeowner decided to move out and began renting a house from a colleague.
“It’s been three years and I had given them many chances, yet they deliberately delay payment and refuse to move out…My family members worry for my safety and advised me to move out,” he said.
“I have a home, yet somehow I’m homeless and have to rent a room from someone else…This is laughable indeed.”’

No this is not laughable. This is stupidity, the hallmark of a stupid people, a daft people that did not know that they are daft. This happened to a home. Translate this to a country, the homeowner(citizens) renting his flat/country out, ie allow foreigners to come in as visitors or PRs, to work and stay in the flat(country)
The tenants(visitors/PRs) then refused to go away. The owner left his flat/country to rent another place to live, ie migrated to another country to live, leaving his country to the foreigners. And the daft owners think it is alright when his home/country is being occupied by his tenant/foreigners. And he stupidly asked, “I have a home, yet somehow I’m homeless and have to rent a room from someone else…”
He did not know that he has lost his home/country and did not know his right to take it back or how to take it back. Singaporeans are boat people in the making.

Daft Singaporeans would soon lose their country without a fight, without knowing why, without knowing that it is their right to their own country, without knowing that they have lost their home and country. And the soldiers, do they know why they are soldiers, why there is a need to be soldiers, why NS, to defend what? What are there to defend against when the foreigners are here, taken over their country and everything?

No, the daft Singaporeans did not mind losing their country. They love the foreigners and happy to share their country with the foreigners, to give their country to the foreigners?

When 50% of the population is new citizens, it is as good as giving away 50% of the country to them. If it is more, eg 70%, it would mean the foreigners are owning 70% of this country. Is this acceptable, the way to go? Is this what the original Singaporeans want, to give their country away without a fight?

Is this too difficult to understand?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore Prison preparing for influx of senior citizens
The Singapore Prison Service retrofitted 25 cells with mobility-aid features like handrails, grab bars, anti-slip flooring and nurse call help button. State media Straits Times however attributed the double in elderly inmates due to an ageing population. – the Statestimes Review

The Statestimes Review also said, ‘Due to insufficient CPF retirement fund, Singaporean elderly are turning to crimes to get free lodging and food from the prison. According to state media Straits Times, the number of elderly prisoners above the age of 60 have doubled in the past 5 years from 359 at 2.8% of the prison population in 2012, to 651, or 5.3%,in 2016.’

With no jobs, no money, little CPF savings, Medisave as good as untouchable for minor illnesses that did not incur more than a few thousand dollars, the senior citizens are just following the trend of developed western countries like the USA, commit minor crimes to get free lodging, free food and free medical from the prison institutions.

The Singapore Prison is quite forward thinking, thinking ahead, planning ahead to cater for this new trend. Unfortunately 25 cells may not be enough given the size of the senior citizen population now about 1m and growing. The Prison authority should be more generous in the expansion of facilities for the seniors that are planning to make the prison their permanent home. A couple of blocks of HDB flats may be the solution and may shall be inadequate in view of the rising demand.

Senior citizens are getting innovative and creative in planning for their retirement, in the comfort of Changi Prison, everything taken care of. And the facilities have been upgraded to make sure they did not slip and fall. Comforting thought.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerlifting world record by Matthew Yap

Matthew Yap sets world record but had no money to come home. After setting a world record at the World Classic Powerlifting Championship
in Belarus for lifting 208kg in the men’s Under 66kg sub junior division,
Matthew and his brother, acting as his coach, were caught in a
misunderstanding by the Belarus immigration. The immigration officer
demanded US$600 for not having the requisite visa. As a result of the ruse they missed
their flight and had to purchase new tickets at $1,470 each. They only had
$72 left.

MFA came in to assist to negotiate for the fare to be lowered to around
$1,000 each. The young men did not want to burden their father as he has
his own financial matters to take care of. Powerlifting Singapore too were
unable to help as it is not a National Sports Association and did not
receive any public funding. Friends of the polytechnic student then resort
to crowd funding to raise $2,685 to pay for their return.

Now who said Singapore is rich and everywhere is flowing with money when a
mere $2000 plus sum would have to go to crowd funding to rescue the two
young men? Pathetic, despite their effort in lifting the name of Singapore
in this sports, and with a world record to boot they were left in the
lurch. Where were the millionaires and multimillionaires to offer a helping hand?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China, making sense of massive projects
Ghost towns, endless highways, super high speed trains traversing the whole of Asia and Europe, hanging bridges straddling across mountains, pipelines crisscrossing countries, you name it, China has done it. Many blur westerners are pouring scorns over what the Chinese are doing. They don’t make sense, money wasting projects at huge cost that have little or no value. China is in big and deep financial trouble due to debt from these projects. Economy will collapse or collapsing, from double digit growth to 6.6% growth. What’s new?
Launching the Belt and Road Initiative cost China hundreds of billions and still promising to pour more money into the projects. China is also building massive infrastructures in countries all over Asia, Africa and SE Asia, with its own money. What western fools are complaining about? These are genuine money, printed papers unlike the greenbacks. If China is about to collapse, where is China to find so much money to give away? AIIB, China contributed hundreds of billions, the biggest contributor. China got no money?
This article is not about how much money China has or how much more they in the reserves. It is about the thinking and policies behind the huge infrastructure projects. Do they make sense? Or are the Chinese foolish as the western pundits alleged, throwing good money away?
Think about it, which country is going to give China massive infrastructure projects if China cannot prove that it has the capability, the knowhow and technology, the experienced engineers and technicians to do the job? And where did all these capabilities, knowhow, technologies and experienced engineers and workforce going to get their experience and skills if they have no projects to work on to add them into their testimonials? Get the picture?
China has a very short history of industrialization and infrastructure building and in many things like building factories, towns, ports etc etc. They must develop these capabilities and skilled and experienced workforce quickly. And only in China can they be given the chance to do so when they did not have any experience to do them. No country will give China a chance to gain these technologies and to train its people. They are learning and testing new technologies in China, to master and perfect them for export. Now the picture is clearer. China is spending a lot of money to build and acquire experience and capabilities, and armed with these achievements and track records, they are going to the world to build the world with their own technology, knowhow and with their skilled and experienced workforce. They have all the records to show what they have done and the people to do it.
This is something that China has done right and everything wrong in Singapore. Singapore is buying skills, buying experience and neglecting to develop its own skills and workforce. Singapore has nothing except some money and when money runs out, there is nothing left for Singapore to offer to the world. No skills, no knowhow, no technology and no experienced workforce except foreigners that come and go. When Singapore was building its MRT with foreign expertise, China was still an agriculture country running on Second World War trains. Today, China is building the fastest train system around the world. Singapore cannot even run its train system without a day free of stoppages, unable to even produce a train cabin.
Compare what China is doing, to develop intrinsic and organic skills and technology using its very own people while Singapore is using, hiring and buying foreigners to replace Singaporeans. How long can Singapore go on destroying its own skill and technology base? Where is China heading and where is Singapore heading?
The Chinese are not stupid and that is why they are now the Number Two super power in everything in such a short span of time and going to be Number One in everything soon. Singapore is heading from the First World to Third World with a snap of the finger. Singapore is bidding for the right to build the HSR from KL, with foreign expertise again, like when it started some 40 years ago when it built the present train system. Where are the skilled engineers and technicians and the industrial base to build them? In China of course.
Are we teaching China? China learning from Singapore? Who is teaching who and learning from who?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A deep sense of helplessness in Sin City
The failure of the opposition parties to make gains into Parliament GE after GE and by election after by election has led the citizens that were looking forward to change into a state of despair. Nothing is going to change and the people will have to live with the PAP as the ruling govt for the next 50 years. Lee Hsien Loong knew this and that he would remain as PM until he chooses to retire at a time of his own choosing, that is when he is 70. This is only one of the unbearable hard truths that Singaporeans would have to live with and feeling helpless about it. And the helplessness did not stuck with just the political system.
There are many things that Singaporeans felt are very wrong, or not to their likings but, yes, helpless to do anything about it. So they would just have to live with them and make the best out of a bad situation, or a very bad situation.
The influx of foreigners into the island, as job hunters, as PRs and eventually given citizenship, is so huge and so disproportionate to the number of citizens is a big sore point. More than half of the population, including many new citizens, is foreigners, not locally born. Did the Singaporeans agree to it? Were they asked that this is ok? No, but they could not do anything about it. It is a fait accompli dictated by the political party they elected to Parliament, to be their govt.
The problem of the influx of foreigners is not just a number. Singaporeans lost their jobs, high cost of living, inflation, high property prices and rentals, and stress on the infrastructure especially public transport, housing and medical. What can the Singaporeans do about it? Nothing.
Many have been cursing about their life time savings in the CPF that they thought were something to look forward to at retirement, ie 55 years old, only to see their savings slipping away from their fingers. The govt keeps changing the rules to keep them from touching their life savings, at times with ridiculous nonsensical reasons. Some jokers even openly said the savings of the people in the CPF are not their money. What can the Singaporeans do? Nothing. Just as helpless as if the money is really not theirs. And many of the natural aristocrats are grinning at their stupidity and helplessness.
Recently there were many noises about whether the HDB flats they lived in belong to them or the HDB ie the govt. Are they owners or lessees? If they are lessees, why are they made to pay property taxes and for the upkeep and maintenance and repairs of the HDB flats? No matter how much kpkb, nothing happens and the people lan lan continue to pay their property taxes on the lease property, their HDB flats accepting that they are the real owners of their HDB flats.
And now the case of the Elected Presidency. The govt changed the terms and conditions to the Elected Presidency. Only a handful of super rich elites can stand for election as the EP. This is no longer the right any citizen like before. This used to be the right of every citizen but no more. So, what can the people do about it?
The govt also decided that a Parliament appointed president can also count as an elected President despite everyone knowing that the first elected President was Ong Teng Cheong. Tan Cheng Bock went to court but his case was thrown out. The govt has the absolute right to determine what is an elected president and what is not according to the court rulings.
The govt also has the right to decide who is a Malay or who is not a Malay to be eligible to stand for the reserved election for a Malay President. A non Malay or half Malay also can if accepted by the President Election Community. What can the people do? Nothing. Helpless.
What about the case against the WP in the management of Town Council? Were there more serious cases of bigger losses and mismanagement than this case? This time the WP looks so helpless and waiting for the guillotine to slam down on their necks, as sure as the sun will rise. What about the people? They can only look at the case helplessly. There is nothing that the people can do about it to speak out and defend their elected representatives in Parliament.
What about the foreigners taking charge in the job market, recruiting and filling good jobs with more foreigners citing that Singaporeans are daft, no skill, lazy, incompetent etc etc and foreigners are the best fit for top jobs? The helpless Singaporeans only try to help themselves by applying to be taxi drivers or be content with part time jobs or contract jobs. What else can they do?
Helplessness is everywhere, if one bothers to look, in Sin City. Fees, taxes, transportation costs, prices of everything are going up and up. The helpless people just have to live with them.
PS. Actually this picture of helplessness is not true. Many Singaporeans are buying bigger houses and bigger and more expensive cars. The helplessness only happens to the losers, the Singaporeans that are jobless, underemployed or unemployed.
But what about the foreigners? They have never had it so good. It is like landing in paradise, away from their slum filled countries where jobs were hard to come by, to a land where pots of gold are everywhere and fortunes are made. Many went home rich, became landowners and starting their own businesses. Some even retired and no need to work anymore, living as the nouve riche in their original home countries where they were once poor ordinary folks.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian passenger accused SIA of being racist
“Facebook user Chandni Doulatramani shared the video on social media yesterday and shared the frustrations of the passengers on board the SIA plane. Apparently, the flight could not depart due to an issue with the air-conditioner and an SIA air stewardess allegedly admitted that “the aircraft hasn’t been in use for a long time and so the airconditioning was not working.”…
Chandni says that when passengers, who were in the dark about what was going on, tried to seek answers they were rudely shut down: “When we confronted the cabin crew, they had no answers, rudely shut us up, threatened to call the cops to arrest us, and said “we are in the same situation as you are, don’t ask us, we don’t know anything”.”…
Chandni – who strongly believes that the airline was racist against Indians and that this would not have happened if the flight was not headed to India – has indicated that she may be planning to sue SIA if they do not compensate the passengers for such an experience.
In the comments section of the post, she added that she hopes the staff lose their jobs:”

The above are extracts posted in theindependent site. SIA must be very careful of its image particularly when it is being accused of being a racist airline by the Indians. If they are not careful, all the Indian passengers would not take SIA and the CECA that favours Singapore companies to do business in India would be a wasted agreement. And SIA would not only have to close down but also be sued for racism.
Singapore as a country also has to tread this line very carefully. With a few hundred thousand Indians being invited to work in Singapore under the CECA, it would be very serious if the Indians turn around to accuse Singapore and Singaporeans of being racist. Singapore has a lot to learn from India on how not to be racist to Indians.
Singapore and Singaporeans may not think this is so because their tiada apa attitude towards race, young Singaporeans are coloured blind, would and could be perceived as racist by Indians who have not been subject to racism as racist. Young Singaporeans are quite casual and callous in their conversation and remarks and these may be seen as racism, just like the UOB D&D when some young Singaporeans painted their faces black for the party.
Maybe the govt should start a campaign by making all Singaporeans wear a T shirt with the words, ‘Singaporeans are not racist”. Of course the T shirt would come with a price tag, nothing is free is Singapore. It is better to be tolerant to the foreigners and not to be accused of as a racist people. And they are here to create jobs for Singaporeans. Without them Singaporeans, especially the PMETs would be jobless. These foreigners gave up their good jobs at home to come to help Singaporeans. They could stay in their home countries where jobs are aplenty and life was good. In a way they are making huge sacrifices like our politicians to earn millions here.
Looks like SIA has a lot of damage control to do with the above comments by this Chandni circulating in the social media.
This racist label is a tough one especially when the accusers are Indians. They would soon be a majority in Singapore. Be very careful not to be caught to be making racist remarks or acts by the Indians.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver lining for Singapore Stock Exchange
The light of the dying stock market is getting dimmer as days go by with better quality stocks finding it meaningless to remain in the exchange and getting themselves delisted. On the other hand, good companies/stocks would find listing in other stock markets more effective to serve their needs. The SGX is now one of the smaller exchanges in Asia, even smaller than neighbouring exchanges of Asean countries.
Broking houses are finding it hard to hold on to their remisiers and remisiers are leaving the industry almost daily. The strength of remisiers is almost half of what it used to be during its heyday. And there is no light at the end of the dark tunnel. There is pessimism and resignation in the air.
But all is not lost. In moments of despair a silver lining has appeared that may give some hope to those still clinging to a dying industry. The SGX is trying its best to revive the market with all kinds of things, looking clueless as to the real causes of its impending demise. The latest is to link up with other exchanges where the better companies chose to list to share a bit of their good fortune. However, this effort is not looking too promising as good exchanges would not want to waste time tying up with unpromising exchanges. Anyway, if good exchanges are not willing to tie up, any exchange will do as long as they are called stock exchange. Never mind the quality and substance as long as there is some form resembling a stock exchange.
The best hope to get more listings in the SGX lies in the super SMEs, like super penny stocks. This comes in the form of hawker stalls, foodcourts and restaurants where there is now a new buzz with the stalls gaining better image and business from Michelin. Many stalls and restaurants are now awarded the world famous Michelin star or stars as recognition of the quality of their products. With the Michelin star/stars decorating the stalls and restaurants, they would make good potential candidates for listing in the stock exchange. And with so many of them gaining more stars, maybe the SGX could set up a board, a third mini board, just for hawker stalls and restaurants with Michelin stars. There should be a few hundred such establishments out there eager to be listed in the stock exchange and to go international.
There is a glimmer of hope that the stock exchange would not die so fast with this new blood of Michelin stars. Say a big thank you to Michelin stars and hawker stalls. The future of the stock exchange can shining like the Michelin stars.
Outram Park Char Kway Teow can start the ball rolling. IPO managers, quick, hunt them down.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore’s new social classes – Natural artistocrats versus 3rd,4th and 5th raters
Singaporeans have heard of the birth of a new social economic class of Singaporeans called the natural aristocrats. Knowing the background and ancestry of Singaporeans, mostly from peasant stock in southern China provinces and poor corners or India, and mostly coming here to eke a living as coolies, it has been commented by some eminent leaders that Chineses Singaporeans comes from poorer IQ stocks. Not so sure about those from the sub continent. The so called natural aristocrats are unlike the purple blood Europeans descended from royalties, also mostly descendants of peasants and coolies.
This fact does not make them feel as lesser beans as they have elevated themselves to be aristocrats, like the Europeans. Not only that, their esteemed social status has recently been given a boost and confirmation by a local academic Derek da Cunha. Cunha used the occasion of ex PAP MP Tan Cheng Bock’s appearance in a meeting with opposition leaders to press his point that the people Tan Cheng Bock were meeting were lesser beans, of 3rd, 4th or 5th rates, and Tan Cheng Bock would tarnish his reputation for being in the company of these lower rate people in our society. This is the real and unspoken secret of the natural aristocrats.
So, is this Cunha saying that Tan Cheng Bock should associate himself with the likes of Cunha, presumingly he is a 1st or 2nd rate human bean, like the natural aristocrats and politicians from the ruling parties and protect his reputation as the sikit atas people? Now, extrapolating from this premise of Cunha, the rest of the population must also be 3rd, 4th and 5th rate human beans or even lower. And associating with these low rate human beans should be avoided so as not to lower once reputation or dignity. Show show, pretending to be with them once in a while for photo shoot may be alright, but not real.
Daft Singaporeans should seriously take recognition of this social divide between the 1st and 2nd rate beans and the rest of the lower rate beans that should be kept away with a 10 foot pole. This is the unspoken truth in the Singapore society that most Singaporeans would not get to know until this 1st or 2nd rate Cunha uttered it by accident to reveal their contempt for the lower rate Singaporeans.
Of course Tan Cheng Bock disagreed. He openly said that the men and women he met and associated with from the opposition parties and their supporters were good men and women, not low raters as described by the self confessed 1st or 2nd rate Cunha. A word of caution for the low rate human beans, please keep clear of people that are of 1st and 2nd rate or you can be accused of tarnishing their reputation. And if they come to you, it is only a pretense, for they held you in contempt. They would not want to be associated with low rate people, not want to be seen to be with them.
Get the point? Yes I am talking to the low raters, the no class or low class no dignity human beans of this little red dot. Next time if you see the 1st or 2nd raters like Cunha, please siam and stay away from them.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survival in the most expensive city the daft way

On The Job as a heartland waste collector: A rancid, repulsive and sobering experience

In the series where Channel NewsAsia journalists try working in some of Singapore’s essential but undervalued jobs, Aqil Haziq Mahmud gets his hands dirty as a waste collector. He comes away with a deep respect for the workers who deal with the relentless flow of trash.

I don't know which was worse: The smell or the creepy crawlies. The stench of rotting food was like vomit mixed with dank, dirty laundry. I struggled not to retch. Then there were the bugs which scuttled everywhere as I bent down to pick up the trash.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/on-the-job-as-a-heartland-waste-collector-a-rancid-repulsive-and-9390486

The above are paragraphs of a report in CNA. This kind of jobs is never pleasant and very few Singaporeans would want to do unless they are desperate. But in this stupidity has no cure island, once I read a glowing report of a young professional claiming that he could retire in this most expensive island without having to work. And all he needed to do was to go crawling around the estates scavenging for leftovers and 'throwaways' to live by. I think this was shown on TV, giving it some kind of approval.

The most stupid of it all was that he was able to impress, convince and attract a bunch of young people to follow him around to dig into rubbish bins for rejected and leftovers or rotten/expired food items. The rancid stench and all the slime did not deter them from this nightly prowl in the wee hours of the morning.

I hope the young people have some common sense to know that this is not how to live their lives. They are not the uneducated Ah Bengs, some looked like undergrads. This is how stupid Sinkies have become, unthinking and anything novel is stylo milo.

Would this article in the CNA change their minds, or would they be more encouraged to going scavenging the rubbish bins at night as a new lifestyle?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CECA is good for Singapore and must be upgraded

Anonymous said... India, Singapore to Undertake Third Review of Free Trade Pact

India and Singapore will initiate the next round of review of their existing free trade agreement tomorrow with a view to further promote commercial ties between the countries.

Commerce and industry minister Suresh Prabhu, who is here on an official visit, held discussions with Singaporean counterpart Chan Chun Sing.

"Both India and Singapore are looking forward to launch the third review of India-Singapore CECA on September 1. This will provide further momentum to the growing collaboration between our two countries," Prabhu said in a series of tweets.

New Delhi is trying to increase sharing of its resources and skilled manpower in the region. Singapore has emerged as Research & Development hub at its universities.

-- timesofindia

The above quote was posted as a comment in my blog and I think this is a very important development that requires more attention. Most Singaporeans would not have heard of it just like when they first signed the CECA and only after several years before it was exposed.

The CECA is a very important agreement between India and Singapore and must not be taken lightly by anyone. Recently when the MOM was trying to tighten the inflow of Indians into our island, the Indian govt threatened to sue our govt for violating the CECA. I think our govt must have softened the tightening as the Indian govt did not call on Sue. and everything quiet down. Just my guess. See how important this is, opening our govt to be sued with this agreement?

India and Singapore are both praising how great and good this CECA is to India and Singapore of course. It not only promotes more Indians coming here but also more trades and more jobs and is good for our GDP and bilateral relations. Singapore can also depend on India to defend the country if it is attacked, given the Indian's interest in our well being they would send in their mighty navy and air force to our defence. Singapore will have another strong military world power to depend on when it punches above its weight again.

Other than the Indian Singaporean ministers, the strongest supporters to improving India Singapore relations and to upgrade CECA must be Chok Tong and George Yeo. Chok Tong has proudly claimed credit for starting the Indian fever. And George Yeo was reported to try to convince LKY to invest in India in a big way. He was instrumental in raising funds for the Indian Buddhist University and was appointed the Chancellor for a while for his great financial contribution to the University.

Given their backgrounds and strong fondness of India and Indians, they should automatically be nominated to head the negotiation team to upgrade the CECA with India instead of Chan Chun Seng. The Indians would be more comfortable with them. Time to bring back George Yeo.

In brief, the CECA allows a few hundred professions from India to be recognised and Indians to work here with no conditions as to the qualifications and reputations of their universities or colleges. I dunno if this is applicable both ways or only one sided. Can Singaporeans of the same profession work in India as well? In a way, the CECA provision recognises all Indian qualifications per se, or on par with our world class universities and colleges like our NUS and NTU. This puts Indian universities above the universities all over the world, including the Commonwealth countries and the USA where not all are recognised here.

The nearly automatic transfer of staff or relocation of staff from India to Singapore offices is also a privilege that no country enjoys except India. Oh, it also applies to the automatic transfer of Singaporeans to offices in India. It works both ways. Singapore is very happy with this term. This provision is the main reason why many Indian companies in Singapore are almost 100% staffed by Indian nationals and Singapore companies in India would be likewise, I believe.

With the prospects of the terms of the CECA being improved, I think Singapore should officially recognise all the universities and colleges in India instead of an implied recognition under the current CECA, ie not said, not written but all the same, all recognised.

The next important thing is to allow more Indian talents to work in Singapore, to be given citizenship and to head ministries, stats boards and GLCs. Then all the ministries, stats boards and GLCs would be as well managed as DBS and as profitable and reputable as DBS world wide. This is the greatest contribution of the Indian super talents in Singapore and Singapore will be as rich, powerful and prosperous as India. And can sell or rent properties to the Indian nationals here.

Oh, I almost forgot, allow Singaporean students to study in India en mass or bring in the Indian education system to replace our inffective education system that is good sounding in brand but cannot produce talents or trained graduates for the economy, and everyday complaining that we have no talents. If our universities were to run like the Indian universities, then we would not need to hire so many academics from India as our local graduates would then be just as good as those from India.

In the upgraded CECA, I am anticipating the new developments, Singaporeans could move freely to work in India and Indians could do the same in Singapore. Singaporeans could happily earn rupees and send them back to support their families in Singapore. Indians could also send back Singapore dollars to Indian to support their families. This is only fair. And with India recognising all our universities and colleges, Singapore should likewise recognise all the universities and colleges in India. This is also fair.

If this really happens, the Indians may build temples to worship Chok Tong and George for solving India's unemployment problem and making India rich and prosperous. Singapore could also build a few monuments of Indian leaders to recognise their great contributions in providing jobs for Singaporeans and helping Singapore to prosper.

What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore at a cross road choosing between China and India
The last decade or so after the demise of LKY, Singapore has chosen to follow the Americans and played the role of little USAs, dancing like little puppets on a string, depending on which string the Americans were pulling. It has a lot of advantages, primarily it gave Singapore the luxury of punching above its weight, sitting on the shoulder of American might. Singapore was so arrogant and confident that with the Americans behind, it could kick anyone it liked, behaving like a spoilt brat.
China was no exception and treated just like another state to be told off, to be challenged with total disrespect as if Singapore was an equal to China’s economic and military might. The blaring at China to follow the dubious ruling of the so called ‘UN backed’ funny private court formed by one party on the South China Sea dispute was the last straw, and China hit back. It was a rude awakening, that small country could not anyhow barked at big powers and thought it could get away with it. The reality was so shocking to those that advocated punching above its weight and totally relied on and be dependent on the Americans for its security concerns. This blind belief in American power was given a rough jolt and a thorough review on this policy was undertaken. Singapore paid a heavy price for listening to wrong advice from people who had fallen asleep and did not know what was happening in the world of big power relations, people who believed in their own delusion of greatness.
The Americans were no longer the Americans they used to know. The China was no longer the China they knew. It was late than never to wake up to the new reality. The world has changed while Singapore happily took a nap, thinking that all was well, all was the same.
Subsequent to the new developments and a new awakening, Singapore took a deep breath and found that it has to reshape its position vis a vis the new balance of power. The American way is no longer the way to a safe and secure future. The belligerent and warring path of the evil Empire would only drag Singapore into more troubles and enmeshed in disputes and wars that it needed not be involved. There is a need for rebalancing and to take a new policy forward for the good of Singapore. Putting all its eggs into the American basket is not the right way or safe way going forward.
The Americans’ isolationist and unilateral policies of going alone and thinking American first policy make things clearer and easier for Singapore to change direction. Free trade, multilateralism and rule of law are what were good for Singapore and what Singapore stood for. But whither Singapore if it stops taking sides with the Americans blindly to create trouble all over the world, starting wars, engaging in wars and in conspiracies and in destabilizing countries and regions?
The two rising Asian powers in India and China were beckoning. Come join us, we are the future super powers. Should Singapore join the Indian camp and be as powerful and prosperous as India as India rises to become the next super power, or should Singapore join the Chinese growth engine and be part of the Chinese plan to rebuild the world? Would Singapore become more like India or more like China as it realigns its policies with the next winning side, the next super power after Pax Americana?
PS. If Chok Tong is still the PM, the direction is very clear. He is very proud of the CECA and his Indian fever and the demography of Singapore is likely to change.
As for Hsien Loong, after years of listening to the pro USA and Indian camp and antagonizing China, leading to the Terrex Incident, his position is now wavering. On one hand he is trying to get into the BRI band wagon and chirping that Sino Singapore relations are very good and Singapore must be neutral in big power rivalry. On the other hand, the attack on China continues in the main media with many biased and anti China articles published almost daily.
Where would Singapore be heading? Would Singapore become more like Mumbai or Shanghai?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildlife in Sin City
Singapore is such a safe and peaceful city to the point of being boring. The wildlife here were those behind bars, to be kept at a safe distance. They are wildlife after all. But the bored citizens would amuse themselves with some pet dogs, pet birds and pet fishes, like the thousand dollar carps in district 9, 10 and 11. The owners feel very safe, the pets are also safe.
Then things happened. A crocodile was spotted in Sungei Buloh and it caused a stir, so much attention. Then a family of otters was also found there, a few hornbills, and wild boars around the reservoirs. The people got so excited with the wild life. They have not seen them in their entire life and found them so novel and charming in their own ways. They are so nice, cannot possibly cause any harm here. Everyone was endeared to them. I took many photos of the croc, the hornbills and the otters in Sungei Buloh. They even commissioned David Attenborough to do a special series on the wildlife in Sin City.
And because life is good in Singapore, the new migrants started to multiply. Otters were everywhere, even in the city and canals. Hornbills became accustomed to HDB flats. Have yet to see the crocodiles outside Sungei Buloh. Oh, I forgot, the monkies are still in Bukit Timah and MacRitchie Reservoir area. The only nuisance was the crows. With their increasing numbers some even attacked people. Fortunately their wild behavior led to their termination and not many were found in the city anymore. Some have become PRs in Sungei Buloh and attacking the smaller birds, the local residents.
The latest, hornbills attacked pet birds hanging outside HDB flats and devoured the pet birds, and eating fruits planted on the corridors. Otters sneaked into private ponds to eat the thousand dollar pet carps. Wild boars digging into gardens and destroying the manicured parks and paths. Some even attacked people in their path.
This is only natural. When they grow in numbers, not only that they have to compete for food, they grow in confidence, and knowing that the citizens are harmless and hapless, they would attack, applying the law of the jungle, the fittest shall survive. The locals had no chance against the wildlife that had made this city their permanent residence. They are bigger, fiercer, hungrier and still have the wild instinct of survival.
How long would it last before the locals got terminated and replaced by the foreign wildlife? I mean how long would the local wildlife be made extinct or forced to migrate elsewhere and their habitat, their homes, be taken away from them when the foreign wildlife make this their new home, when their number grows and become a majority here?
The pet birds in HDB flats are fearing for their life. How about the rich carps in district 9, 10 and 11? Do they feel safe within the confines of their walls and fence, that the wildlife would leave them alone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: