Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Just a reminder to infidelity!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramesh Erramalli - So serious meh

SINGAPORE — Ramesh Erramalli, the condominium resident seen verbally abusing a security guard in a viral video last October, has been warned by the police over his behaviour.

In a statement on Friday (17 January), the police said that a “stern warning” had been issued to the 44-year-old, in consultation with the Attorney-General’s Chambers, for intentionally causing harassment to a security officer who was deployed at Eight Riversuites Condominium.

A similar warning was also given to two men, aged 41 and 47, for causing intentional harassment to Erramalli. The police have also administered a 12-month conditional warning to two other men, aged 19 and 56, who threatened Erramalli and his family with death and violence. Yahoo News

Wow, the police is so serious this time when a foreigner threatened, oops, I don't think this is the right choice of word, must be accurate and quote the news report, he did not threaten, he 'verbally abusing a security guard only. And some, I think Singaporeans, not sure about this, were also given the same serious warning 'for causing intentional harassment to Erramalli', some 'threatened Erramalli and his family with death and violence'.

See, the act of Erramalli against the security guard was definitely not so serous, just verbal abuse. The threats against him was very serious, mind you threatening him and his family with death and violence. Given the two facts as reported, think the punishment for a foreigner like Erramalli is really serious. This may be a bad signal to other foreigners that are here providing and creating jobs for daft and jobless Singaporeans. What happens if all the talented foreigners pack up and go, many Singaporeans would be jobless and many properties would not be sold and many Singaporeans would not be able to rent their flats to them.

Initially I also agree with many angry Singaporeans that he should be sent home, not welcome here to bully Singaporeans. On second thought, I must agree with the police for such a serious warning and close the case. And better still, warned the Singaporeans not to be rude and fierce with foreigners, not to threaten these foreign talents. They must be reminded that their rice bowl depends on these foreigners. Be kind and gentle to the foreigners like the taxi drivers. When they beat you, do not hit back, call the police and the attackers would likely get a serious warning from them. Or they may then advise you to find a lawyer to take a civil suit against them, if you have the money. Very likely these foreign talents would have more money than you and can afford to pay for more expensive lawyers.

Anyway, it is good that the police is serious this time and this could be a good signal for the foreigners. If they harass or abuse Singaporeans, they would get a serious warning from the police. But their jobs would be safe, their PR status would not be affected and they could continue to earn big bucks in their high paying jobs here in Singapore, the city of foreign talents. Nothing to worry about.

Thank you very much.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wuhan Virus - Singapore's vulnerability
SINGAPORE — Singapore’s economy will definitely be impacted by the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, with the tourism-related sectors being of immediate concern.
In a multi-ministry press conference on Monday (27 January), Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing said that this includes travel agents, as well as the food and beverage, retail and hospitality sectors. Yahoo News

The Wuhan virus must have rung a bell in many people's head. Obviously it didn't. Singapore is still thinking it is a small matter. Well, our tourist industry will be hit and some people's jobs and business may be impacted. This kind of thinking is similar to the desire for nuclear energy, nuclear power station. It is small problem and should be ok. The Fukushima disaster, not fully disclosed and many serious consequences covered up, also did not ring a bell. If Fukushima meltdown would be to happen in Singapore, where would Singapore and Singaporeans be?

The closing down of Wuhan and several major cities in China, including Shanghai and maybe Beijing is small matter. What would happen if Singapore has to close down? Small matter, only the tourist industry be affected?

What lessons can Singapore learn from this Wuhan virus incident? Would Singapore still be happily opening up its legs wide wide and inviting everyone from all the dirty corners of the world to come here and reside and sleep and play and work with fellow Singaporeans? Not to worry, nothing bad will happen to Singapore. All the bad things can only happen in other countries, especially in China, never in Singapore. All the viruses would die after their carriers drink our shit water, oops, Newater, our cure all for everything. See, the facts have proven that Singapore is safe and clean after so many millions of potential deadly disease carriers have come and gone. No contagious disease or virus dare to attack Singapore and Singaporeans.

Can Singapore afford a slip, an unfortunate incident like the Wuhan virus or some slum virus from remote villages in some third world countries and think life will go on as usual? Anyone ever ponder what would happen if another virus or disease that spreads as easily and quickly as the Wuhan virus find its way here and Singapore has to close down?

Our health checks at our entry points have been so casual and relax, so easy to move in and out to the credit of our open leg policy. Just keep the fingers crossed and all will be well. There is nothing to worry about. It will not happen to Singapore.

What would it be like if someone with a very infectious disease travels in our very crowded trains?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Singapore - Another LKY is born
Singapore—Despite the negative feedback that emerged after the leaked audio recording of Trade and Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing at a recent closed-door meeting with the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCCI), many netizens are now saying they respect him more than ever for the frank and forthright manner with which he spoke. For them, the diplomatic bluntness from Mr Chan was both refreshing and relatable, and they say he is another Lee Kuan Yew, the country’s founding Prime Minister.

“He is a good minister. He is indeed another Lee Kuan Yew for he dares to say things as they are, in an honest manner.”....

In the recording of the meeting he can be heard saying such things as “Why did the run happen? You know, run on the supermarket, right? …I damn ashamed. You know why? Xia suay… We embarrass ourselves, disgraceful, we disgrace ourselves… No paper, water also can. So why do we behave so idiotically? I cannot tahan. Then the selfish idiot go and take all the alcohol swab, because got no more clean wipe right?”....

The above is quoted from www.theindependent.sg. The leaked video of Chan Chun Sing's closed door talk with leaders of SCCCI is one of the favourite to be passed around in the social media and in whatsapp and phone messages. It should have been seen by at lease a million by now.

Lim Tean and some critics have been disgusted by the colloquialism and Singlish being used by Chan Chun Sing in his very frank discussion at the SCCCI. To this group of critics, a PM potential and a minister earmarked to be a PM, they expected him to speak in proper and good English, not chap chye English or Singlish mixed with all kinds colloquialism and dialects.

On the other hand there is another group that is praising him for his frank talk and enjoying his humour for talking like an Ah Beng in the army. They found him refreshing and welcome his straight talking and the courage to scold Singaporeans. And some even equated him to LKY for honesty and frankness to say what he thought.

OK, some may not agree with this comment and may think it is an insult to LKY. But to those who see the LKY in Chan Chun Sing, they must be very happy that Singapore has produced another LKY and Singapore's future is going to be better, tomorrow will be better for all Singaporeans. LKY believed in improving the lives of Singaporeans, not foreigners or fake Singaporeans, not fair weather migrants that would scoot to the West immediately after getting their pink ICs or the moment something unpleasant happens to Singapore.

Let's see if the hope of this group of Singaporeans would be realised in the coming years when the new LKY becomes the PM of Singapore. Some may disagree and may want to add stupidity has no cure to this view. It is a matter of opinion.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heng ah, I am not a sia suay or disgraceful
I can claim this honour because I have not bought a single mask since the outbreak of Covid19. The only 4 masks I have were given free by courtesy of our very caring govt. Oh, I have not used any of them yet. I am still using an old one from a pack I bought many months ago for use in the train to reduce the smelly BOs or when someone is having a running nose and sitting beside me. And I have been reusing this mask for more than a month, just a bit of dusting it after getting off the train. If I were to discard after every train ride, I would be running out of mask in no time and would have to join the long queues or become another sia suay or disgraceful. OK, ok, I did not use the mask in highly contaminated places, and did not it use everyday, just when I need to.

I dunno how many of you have come under the sia suay/disgraceful class, but if you are, this is food for thought. There are many ways of looking at it, from the point of being kiasu, so next time if you do not want to be called a sia suay/disgraceful, do the right thing, the politically correct thing. Another politically correct thing to do is not to wear mask if you are not feeling unwell. But I can't help it because most of the time though I am not feeling unwell I still have to put on mask in the train for obvious reasons I mentioned above. But whatever you do, don't buy plentiful of toilet paper or instant noodles, and don't buy too many masks. Just buy what you need. If you need to wear everyday and throw away after use, then I think you must buy and buy more masks, and have to live with the sia suay/disgraceful tag.

For those who already got this sia suay/disgraceful tag on them, do not be disheartened. Just stop buying or rushing out to buy up the whole NTUC Fairprice next time if something like this happens. You have many more chances not to fall back into this category unless you have kiasu and kiasi virus in your blood.

I think I am a minority that can say heng ah, I am not sia suay or disgraceful. Wondering who would those sia suay/disgraceful vote in the next GE?

PS. This Covid19 is not in the air, not spreading freely at this moment in the island. The danger zone is when you are near those that are infected. And if you suay suay stands near to one, talk to one, then the chances of getting hit is much higher, and the simple mask may not really do the job in such cases as have been proven by the hospital workers being infected. The mask gives a false sense of security, but better than none in dangererous zones.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore - A country slipping away to become a non state
SINGAPORE: To help Singapore residents through their efforts to stay home in a bid to curb the spread of COVID-19, a series of media and digital-related initiatives was announced on Wednesday (Apr Cool.

These include providing more content for viewers on free-to-air channels, as well as on Singtel and StarHub's pay-TV platforms.

The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) said it will also support telcos in making investments to upgrade their networks. In addition, it will help low-income students who require digital access for home-based learning.

These initiatives come as Singapore kicked off a month-long "circuit breaker" period on Tuesday. Most workplaces are closed, schools have moved to full home-based learning and dining in at food and beverage outlets are not allowed. CNA

Can anyone pick up what I am going to say from the above quotes from CNA? Some say this is Channel News America, instead of Channel News Asia. Is Singapore a country or a hotel where its primary concern is about the residents, NOT Singaporeans? The narrative and words are slowly changing. The first few words in the opening paragraph, 'To help Singapore residents....' , (bold is inserted by me), not to help Singaporeans show how important are residents over citizens. This is similar to the often used word like locals in govt statistics instead of Singaporeans, where locals means citizens and PRs.

This is a trend in diminishing the importance of Singaporeans, the citizens of this nation state, towards the importance of non citizens like PRs and work pass holders and now residents which means anyone living here. We are so caring and so concern about everyone in this island. Hopefully we don't forget about the citizens, the Singaporeans in this island as time goes by. Why would a country, a nation state, be emphasising the importance of residents and not citizens?

Is Singapore moving towards a hotel, a non state, when citizens will gradually become not important or less important, when all the govt is concerned is about residents, about headcounts, citizens and non citizens all same same.

The narrative is changing. But before the distinction is blurred over time, Singaporeans must wake up to this trend and must not allow this to go further at their eventual demise and irrelevance. This nation state is a country, though small, and must not be turned into a hotel, a non state, belonging to every Tom, Dick and Harry that happened to be here. Singaporeans must be politically conscious of their well being as citizens of this little country before it becomes a piece of rock that belongs to everyone, to anyone and Singaporeans don't count anymore.

What do you think, words are not important. Subtle changes, nuances, innuendos would not mean anything, just like the little incremental changes to your CPF savings that was uttered in Parliament that it is not your money. Then whose money? What about this island state, whose country is it?

When the first thought that came to people's mind is about residents and not Singaporeans, you know things are changing against Singaporeans right under your nose.

Do Singaporeans matter any more?

Below is posted in theindependent.sg claiming that foreign workers are part of Singapore society by a Anna Maria Romero.

'Netizens have spoken up on social media, saying that migrant workers are part of Singaporean society and should not be seen as, nor treated as, separate. These “woke” folks seem to acknowledge that part of Singapore’s success has been made possible because these workers, the majority of whom come from South Asian countries such as Bangladesh and India, who have come to work here, doing the menial and low-paying jobs that Singaporeans refuse to do.'

Foreigners that are working here are starting to claim that they are part of Singapore. Why? Just because they worked here and claiming credit? Did they work for free or a big sacrifice for Singapore like our NSmen? Why are these foreigners feeling that they are the one that contributed to the success of Singapore and Singaporeans owe them a gratitude? Why is it not that Singapore offered them a decent job and a pay relatively better than what they could get at home or be jobless, and that they should be grateful instead?

Oh, Singapore belongs to everyone here. They heard this and thus wanting to claim a part of Singapore, to be one of us, to be given citizenship as a right because they contributed to our success? Is Singapore citizenship so cheap and so easy to get? Just ask, just demand and it is yours?

The latest, there is another group appearing in Singapore calling themselves 'sovereign'. How did this group get to thinking that they are sovereign in our country needs to be investigated. Sovereign, according to this group of people, one just surfaced, is that they are above the law, they don't have to put on mask in public as required by the law on all Singaporeans and non Singaporeans here. They need not minimise contact with people in public, they need to keep a safe social distance from other people. This sovereign idea must have been talked about and did not flow freely from the mouth of an imbecile in a market place.

Not sure how big is this group of sovereign in Singapore. Are they the new royalties, the new owners of this island? Has Singapore been sold to this group of sovereign that Singaporeans are not aware of, still going about their lives in ignorant bliss? We have sovereigns living among us and we don't even know. Isn't this frightening?

PS. The relationship between the FWs and their employers is simply contractual and subject to supply and demand. Nothing more, nothing less. If gratitude is a factor, then all employers in every industry must be grateful to their employees.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covid19 - Singapore needs Donald Trump
After issuing his Covid19 guidelines for Singapore, an American alternative truth or in plain language, a white lie, Singapore is now one of the most successful country in controlling the spread of this disease. (I wrote this piece in March when things were still looking good for Singapore and being praised to sky heaven as the gold standard in fighting this pandemic). Trump is a national hero in Singapore. Unfortunately no Singaporean knows that it was Trump's guidelines that helped Singapore to contain the virus. With the current situation in Singapore, maybe there is some elements of truth given the similarities in the spread of the disease in the USA and here. What Singapore is doing is exactly what Trump is recommending, no lockdown, open the economy, let everyone come in and go out, and Singapore also have all the medical equipment that Trump is bragging in the USA. There is really no shortfall of any medical equipment here as in the USA. In the US, the health workers are lying when they cried for assistance in getting medical equipment. Trump has given them all they needed. We have all the PPEs and ventilators for our infected. We have enough stockpile of surgical masks as well. Trump would be very proud to be in Singapore and enjoy the bragging rights that are based on facts and not wishful thinking and wild imagination. Trump is a walking miracle! He can talk and will the pandemic away.

At the moment Trump is still boasting about helping American allies with more medical equipment when all the governors are crying out loud for more PPEs and ventilators and medical supplies. Just wondering how is he going to help American allies when the US did not have enough of them and frantically trying to find them, trying to produce them? Maybe words would do. Just brag about it, just tell the American health workers that all the masks and ventilators are coming, never mind if it takes another 6 months or a year. Just brag about helping the allies like Italy and UK and Singapore. Yes, Singapore can do with more help from the Trump administration, like more Trump guidelines.

And if Trump is to be the PM or President of Singapore, he can help to make Singapore Great Again. Trump's unmatchable ability to brag, similar to Singapore's version of punching above our weight, to talk loudly in areas when others dare not thread, would be a great asset to Singapore. When Trump becomes Singapore's PM or President, and when he brags, no one would dare to talk back.

And Trump will work for free. He is so rich he would not want to take a single cent for the job of PM or President. That would set a good example to our millionaire ministers that think they need more pay to do a good job like Trump did. What they are getting is not enough. If they did not get their million dollar pay, the private sector would grab them to be their CEOs without any hesitation. For the time being, since they are paid so well, the private sector could not get hold on them and therefore have to seek the second best, Indian talents from India and some trash that cannot make it in Hong Kong or UK or the West.

OK, a caveat, if Trump becomes Singapore's PM or President and set a bad example by working for nothing, all the millionaire ministers would quit and join the private sector and would become CEOs of MNCs. The poor Indian talents and CEOs would definitely lose their jobs. They are no match in talent to our millionaire ministers. This is the price Singapore must pay if Trump becomes its PM or President, hypothetically of course. I have to say this in case some dumbwits think this is going to happen and pofma me for spreading fake news.

Trump will definitely open up Singapore to the world, much bigger than the open leg policy on immigration. His megalomaniac personality suits Singapore very well. We are Number One in everything, even in this pandemic. We have traded our gold standard to be Number One, if you know what that means.

Singapore must start to think seriously about having Trump as its PM or President as Trump is unlikely to be reelected and thus would be available to the highest bidder. Singapore likes to pay high high for foreign talent and should bid for it. Trump's ego would be inflated if Singapore is willing to pay him $10m for the job. And the best part, Trump would say thank you and would volunteer to work for free. In this sense, Singapore can even offer to pay him a 100 million knowing that he would not take it but happy just to be flattered with such a glorified pay.

What do you think of Trump becoming the PM or President of Singapore?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42
Page 42 of 42

Jump to: