Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Gems of Parliament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ministerial statements for discussion
Minister Masagos: Singaporeans become very wealthy in record time.
Minister Ong Ye Kung: The poor should help themselves.
I happen to see the above two statements in thestatestimesreview and find them very interesting as they would draw a lot of views from Singaporeans. Let me start with Masagoes. Which group of Singaporeans was he referring to that became very wealthy in record time. Not me of course, and not many Singaporeans that I know.
And in the article he asked those Singaporeans who got very rich to contribute to charity. I like that. Now those Singaporeans that got very wealthy and very fast, please be charitable, don’t be shy, just contribute some of your riches to help the needy Singaporeans. I like his targeted approach instead of those charity shows where they expect the poor working class Singaporeans to dig deep into their empty pockets to donate. How about Masagoes and his very rich millionaire ministers start the ball rolling?
And Ong Ye Kung’s comment that the poor should help themselves. I fully agree, if only the poor could write their own pay cheques to help themselves with OPM. Instead, their CPF savings are helped ‘to help themselves’ into buying insurance schemes that they did not ask for, maybe no need for, and they could not help themselves to say no. And some are still trying to help themselves with more of the poor Singaporeans’ CPF savings ‘to help’ the poor Singaporeans to help themselves until they don’t have enough for retirement.
Some may interpret this help themselves as asking the poor to work harder. I believe many are working very hard, to be taxi drivers, security guards and cleaners. But in such professions, no matter how hard they try, they are unlikely to make enough to pay for the high cost of living here.
Like that how ah?
What are your views?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget debate or talking for the sake of talking?

The Budget debate in Parliament just came to a close. As usual, some millionaires that were pricked by theirconscience tried to speak out for the poorer Singaporeans, asking the govt to spend more to make their lives a bit more bearable. But on the other side, some rich millionaires would parrot the perpetual position, cannot anyhow draw down on the reserves, wait reserves not enough big big trouble. Must protect the reserves to make sure got enough, and must keep on building more reserves.

Anyone see anything wrong with such statements by the cockeyed cocks in Parliament? It is easy to crow about these motherhood statements. Whatweis the point when the cocks are blind? Do the cocks know what they were crowing about? Do they know how much is the reserves? How many of you think the cocks know how much is in the reserves, or maybe they know the reserves is quite empty or nearly empty?

Does anyone know how much money is there in the reserves? Does the President know how much is in the reserves? I think we all know that President Ong Teng Cheong did not know. Does President Halimah know? As for her predecessors, did they bother to want to know?

Now, if the President is unlikely to know, do the ministers or cock MPs know? I bet they did not know. How many agree or disagree with me on this?

Ok, if one does not know how much is in the reserves, how could one be talking about drawing down too much or whether there is enough or not enough in the reserves? Maybe the reserves is already empty. Or maybe the reserves is so huge that it could last forever! The point I am making is that if one does not know, it is better to shut up and stop talking cock.

By the way, how much of our reserves is needed for it to be enough? Is there a definition or a formula. or is it just gasak butak, don't need to know what is enough, just keep adding and adding and adding, never enough? Just what is wrong with collecting more money, what is wrong with keep on adding more to the reserves? Saying this cannot be wrong, like holding the people's CPF on the allegation that they would spent all on Batam trips.

Listen already cannot tahan. Like shadow boxing. How much is really there in he reserves, how much is enough?
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handcuffs of youth and children

MPs concerned about use of handcuffs, leg braces as restraints in youth homes

Members of Parliament raised their concerns about the psychological impact of using such measures on teens and questioned whether there will be procedures to prevent the abuse of power.

The above is from the Today paper. I remember writing about this, also included in my book Redbean Soup, of a child below teenage, being handcuffed in a police station and objected to such insensitive and cruel acts against children. Reading the above being raised in Parliament gives me grave concern whether such practice on little children is still in practice and found acceptable.

Youths in homes are often difficult to control and may have committed some offences. The need to put them on cuffs and leg braces may be controversial but at times may be necessary. There must be serious contemplation in making such decisions and not be permitted freely to the point of callousness, careless tidak apa attitude or abuses on the youths and definitely not on pre teens children.

For the MPs to think this is a serious concern that merited to be raised in Parliament is a good start. For this to be an issue is a sign that things are getting out of control. It could be another case of one size fits all as is often applied to rules and regulations without the need to think, for convenience. A case of suka suka just cuffed. At least I think this is something more worthy of Parliament's time than discussing about the use of plastic bags, trying to save a few pieces of plastic to save the environment. Without plastic bags, how are the people going to store their wet waste before throwing them into the rubbish chutes?

Shanmugam’s expertise would again be called upon to write up more laws to provide clarity in the application of such laws, rules etc etc. For a start, all police personnel must be told to be sensitive on little children and must not be allowed to put cuffs on little children. This is a poor reflection of a highly educated population of a first world city when a little human decency and sensitivity towards children are expected to be the norm without having to question or to have rules to implement them.

Are we still a first world city state when we are still fumbling over such basic issues of handling our children and young delinquents, after 44 years of independence? Can you imagine what it looks like for a below 10 year old child to have cuffs on when the cuffs could easily slip off? It happened then, not sure it is still happening.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking about the country's reserves is against the national interest
SINGAPORE — Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat slammed opposition leader Pritam Singh for “repeatedly” asking about the size of Singapore’s reserves, claiming that it goes against the national interest to do so.

Addressing supplementary questions from Members of Parliament on the Solidarity Budget on Tuesday (7 April), Heng told the House, “It is neither in the interest of Singapore, or Singaporeans, to repeatedly ask about the size of our reserves. We are in the middle of a storm, and I'm very disappointed that Mr Pritam Singh has used this occasion to raise this question again.”

He added, “We do not disclose the total size of our reserves, for the sake of national security and strategic interests.” Yahoo News

Anyone acting against the national interest can be arrested and charged for treason. If asking about the national reserves is also an act against the national interest, then Pritam Singh is dancing too near to being put behind the bars for treason. Is this really the case? Would asking this question in Parliament, protected by the privilege of Parliament, protect Pritam Singh from being accused of treason?

To act, speak or do anything against the interest of the state, against national interest, is a very serious charge.

From now onwards I would not 'ask repeatedly' about the national reserves. And I would advise the MPs, especially the opposition MPs, also to avoid asking this question. It is soooo sensitive and threatening to ask repeatedly about the national reserves, even in Parliament. Get it? Never mind if you do not know why asking repeatedly is dangerous to the good of the country. Just know that it is against the national interest good enough.

And what is the point of asking when they are not going to tell you? Maybe asking repeatedly is irritating when they cannot give talk about it, state secret, I supposed. Anything that is state secret or about to salary better not ask.

What do you think?

PS. ' Drawing an analogy with the Singapore Armed Forces’ arsenal, the designated successor to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said, “No country's armed forces will ever tell you exactly how much ammunition and weaponry they really have. To do so is to betray valuable intelligence to potential adversaries.”' Yahoo News
redbean

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First world Parliament in session

The above pic (pic available in www.mysingaporenews.blogspot,sg) is from theindependent.sg showing a session of Singapore Parliament in action. A picture like this is better than a thousand words. But without any explanation, people can come up with many ideas about what the picture is saying.

Let me start by saying a few positive things about the Singapore Parliament. One, Singapore is such a well run country that there is really nothing worth doing or talking in Parliament. So the absence of MPs and ministers can be expected as they are busy with more important things to do than to waste their time in Parliament listening to lesser important matters.

Some have commented in the times of Lee Kuan Yew, no one dared to be absent from Parliament and Parliament was always full house. Maybe during Lee Kuan Yew's time there were many problems and serious matters to discuss. Today what is there to discuss but about having or not having pets in HDB flats or whatever. I could not remember anything worth mentioning.

Efficiency is the key word in a first world Parliament. There is no need to waste the time of all the ministers and MPs in a Parliament sitting when all the important issues were already done outside Parliament. Sometimes I wonder why bother to put up irrelevant or trivial matters in Parliament. Parliament is a very important arm of the govt and also very expensive to maintain. Think of the million dollar ministers and equally million dollar MPs in attendance and the cost of their time to be there. A Parliament with only a few attendees, not sure if they have the quorum, is the best.

This is first world Parliament not machiam third world Parliament that needs the presence of as many thugs as possible in case they start a fight or turn aggressive when numbers would be an advantage.

I really cannot think of any negative things to comment about an almost empty Parliament. Oh, maybe many of them just took a brief moment to go to the loo and would be back in full force and the pic was taken in a moment that would show a side of the Parliament that would give a bad impression of the ministers and MPs that were absent.

Put it this way, with or without the Parliament, whether the Parliament is full house or deserted, the country still runs smoothly and the people are so happy and contented and would continue to vote for such a Parliament. So what is the problem?

Please don't count who is present or not present. Very the pai seh.

PS. Maybe due to Covid19, so many ministers and MPs chose to work at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: