Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Join me to give TOM(The Old Media) a run for their money
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How important is fake news to our govt?
The length and time spent on this fake Bill could sum up how important is fake news to the govt. No issue in Parliament has had such an extensive discussion and coverage in the main media. Think of the time and manpower expended to explain this bill, the cost involved has been quite staggering.
What is the outcome of the debate so far? Govt’s power in fake news Bill not absolute, govt must make first call but there is legal safeguard for those who disagree with the decision. This is the headline in thenewpaper. Also in the same paper is a comment by a former US Secretary for homeland security, Michael Chertoff who said, ‘when it comes to laws against fake news but there are no easy answers’. It was also reported that ‘he refrained from commenting directly on the draft laws Singapore introduced on Monday to combat fake news, he said it was useful to draw a distinction between a “clear falsity” and opinion.
Was it out of respect or caution that this former US secretary refrained from commenting on our fake news Bill? Americans are well known for shooting their mouths with no respect for anyone or country when they think something is not right. Freedom of expression is a core American value that would not be easily challenged or cast aside. But he did said that one has to be careful about a clear falsity and to respect or recognize opinions if I read him correctly.
Chertoff was quoted to have said, ‘Rather than debate aspects of misinformation that are outright deceptive – such as impersonation and intervention by foreign entities – the harder question to answer is what constitutes fake news.’ Not difficult at all when Singapore is concerned. In Singapore, fake news is when chenghu said it is fake news. Period. If you don’t agree, go to court, provided you have the money to pay for expensive legal fees.
Another taken for granted fake news is political propaganda and agenda in the main media. These are accepted as the conventional truth without the need to question where it is coming from, especially when it came from the Americans or the West. Our silly bananas would swallow them hook, sinkers and line as the gospel truth. In Singapore, the official position is that main media never lies, never spread fake news. So, other than chenghu said so, what you read in the main media are by professionals, all well researched, verified and documented and must be real, including from foreign journalists and wildlife. There is no need to question what is printed in the main media, only question the suspected social media that are supposed to be telling lies and spreading fake news, like mysingaporenews.
Ok, this is my opinion, just my opinion.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western catchphrases against China
Rule of Law, democracy, human rights, lack of transparency, theft of IP, debt traps, national security, China has no respect for international laws and agreements, China is a communist countries, state owned enterprises(SOEs) etc etc. All western journalists and half baked academics and CIA sponsored operators aka journalists or anal-lysts would spout these phrases as second nature, like taking breakfast and lunch. And Asian bananas would think it safe and right and correct to spout the same nonsense as a credibility badge or badge of honour. They cannot be wrong to utter the same phrases coming out from the fake western anal-lysts.
I think they have missed out a lot about how great the Americans and the West were and have been doing so successfully for peace and prosperity of this world. These anal-lysts have forgotten to praise the Americans and the West for their great achievements while devoted their full attention to badmouthing and smearing China.
Think again, how successful the Americans and the West are in formenting turmoil and incessant warfare in the Middle East and every corner of the world. It is because these people are wasting their time fighting among themselves and destroying their own countries and the lives of their own people that they have no time or not much time to create problems and troubles for other countries. They are so preoccupied in their own killings in their own countries and that allowed the rest of the world to live in peace. Thanks to the great effort put in by the Americans to keep them very busy.
Great job Americans and the West. Well done. They together deserve to be given a Nobel Prize for Peace just like Obama, and Trump in the waiting list as the next best candidate for Peace Prize. He will get his well deserved peace prize when he invaded Venezuela and start a war in his backyard, in Latin America so that the rest of Latin America and North America can live in peace.
Common western journalists and academics and bananas, do the honour to praise the great works of the Americans in the Middle East and paint them some glowing accolade.
Asian media should be more original, instate of being guided by western catchphrases and narratives, try to write or produce programmes starting from a different angle, the Asian angle, with Asian viewpoints and interests, and Asians behind the news or programmes. It would be more refreshing than just blindly apeing and regurgitating western narratives. Originality, creativity and be different, be Asian instead of stale news like debt traps, rule of law or badmouthing China. Incidentally when the West uttered we are a rule of law country, they are saying China is lawless, no rule of law. What about the outlaws in the USA and Canada? Any idiot that uttered this phrase in front of Chinese officials is going to get brickbrats from them.
I think they need editors or thinkers like redbeans to teach them new tricks of the trade to gain some credibility and respectability as independent news producers with independent thinking, not parrots of the West.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign academics concerned about fake news law in Singapore

'Nearly 100 academics worldwide have expressed concern over Singapore’s proposed law against “fake news”, warning it could threaten academic freedom and hurt the city-state’s ambition to become a global education hub.

The government this month unveiled a bill containing tough measures, including powers for ministers to order sites like Facebook, Google and Twitter to put warnings next to posts authorities deem false, and extreme cases, to take them down.

If an action is deemed malicious and damaging to Singapore’s interests, companies could be hit with fines of up to Sg$1 million ($740,000), while individuals could face jail terms of up to 10 years.

Authoritiesin the tightly-controlled country insist the measures are necessary to prevent online falsehoods sowing social divisions, but the move has sparked anger from press freedom groups and tech giants such as Facebookand Google.

Now ninety-seven academics from around the world with expertise in Singapore and Asia have signed a letter warning the proposed legislation “may deter scholarship and set precedents harmful to global academia”.'

The above is part of an AFP article posted in theindependent,sg.

What is the problem? I could not see any. Any of you see any problem with fake news and fake news law? I have my reasons to say that there is no problem, all fake news or violation of fake news law would be carefully scrutinised by Shanmugam and he has expressed in Parliament that he would take undue care to make sure fake news are fake news and no unnecessary abuse of law will take place. Not to worry, trust our leaders. No one in the world has there be such a pool of honourable and righteous leaders, men and women of unquestionable integrity, to govern the people and to take care of the people for the good of the people. If such incorruptible individuals cannot be trusted with the implementation of a simple law like fake news, then no govt leaders in any part of the world can be trusted. We have the best govt in the whole world with the brightest and good as priests and priestess people in the govt. What more can you ask for. They are near to infallible, like they said, immortals.

Another way to look at this is to look at the American govt. They are not only the policemen of the world but also defenders of human rights and freedom of speech and expression. If the Americans did not protest, did not see anything wrong, then it can be safely concluded that the fake news law must be good and unquestionable. We are a rule of law country and we maintain our laws judiciously and we respect our laws more than the Ten Commandments. Throughout our history there has been no cases of abuse of the law, abuse of our laws by the ruling govts of the day. Is that not good enough proof and assurance that this law is good law and good people will make sure the law will be used only when necessary.

I think everything is crying wolf, just like the Americans warning the world that Huawei is dangerous or Chinese loans will only lead to debt traps and nothing else. It is all hypes and fear mongering when really there is absolutely no problem at all.

What do you think? OK you may disagree with me, I know many of you will. I only use my freedom of expression to say what I think is right. See, there is freedom of expression and the fake news law will just be used against people that misuse the freedom of expression to spread fake news. As long as you are telling the truth, like I just did, you can be sure you will be safe from the fake news law.

Do not be surprised the Americans or Donald Trump will come out in support of our fake news law.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teymoor Nabili, a talent wasted, used in wrong areas

Keyu Jin earned her PhD from Harvard and is currently a professor of macro economics in London School of Economics. She has been giving lectures on China and understanding China, economics, social and political and anything relevant to China from a native Chinese perspective. Her views are refreshing not that Americans or the West would not see China that way, she has a very good grasp of economic issues and speaks very eloquently like an American without the Chinese accent. Google the youtube to have a different perspective of China instead of the dull and mundane silly views from the West and pseudo academics.

Two equally articulate Chinese presenters on contemporary issues concerning China and its relations with the West are the hosts of The Point programme in Tian Wei and Liu Xin. These two ladies are equally brilliant in their understanding of the issues of the day. In particular Liu Xin, she has a very professional and no nonsense approach to the issues under discussion and would brush off any silly bananas or westerners that parrot unthinkingly on stereotype western agenda, myths and smears on China.

What have they got to do with Teymoor Nabili? For those who are in the know, Teymoor Nabili is an excellent programme host/journalist on contemporary issues particularly big power relations and politics. When he first appeared on Channel News Asia, it was something good that finally happened to CNA, a very high calibre professional that could raise the standard of its programmes and someone that I would not mind listening to. This did not last long, as they said about good things.

No, he is still a presenter in CNA, but the topics he is presenting today are so tame and lame in a way. Climate change, green energy and blockchains in the Perspective programme. I would not spend more than 5 minutes on such stuff.

The big question that I am asking is why would such a gifted and talented TV host not be assigned to deal with political issues that were his forte, issues that he is very comfortable with and would generate a lot of interests among the audience? Is it because he did not give face to silly westerners and brushed them off when they started to utter nonsense, something that is unpalatable and unacceptable to western audience? I have seen and heard him did it several times to the chagrin of the westerners in the panel or in the audience. Never have silly westerners uttering their nonsense and parroting political agenda been told off or brush off so abruptly and publicly by the host of a talk show.

Perhaps his Iranian heritage may have something to do with it. The West, in particular the Americans, cannot tolerate Iranians and would not want to be seen sitting at the same table with an Iranian or an Iranian TV host. Worse, to be belittled or made to look small with their stupid comments by an Iranian is something they cannot live with.

It is a pity that Teymoor is not given more opportunity to host more contemporary political issues than talking about the environment. One thing for sure, Teymoor would never use American catchphrases like other silly presenters would do so to promote American agenda. Lame topics should be left to the academically oriented or our young local TV hosts to gain more experience and exposure before they graduate into serious and hard topics like telling the westerners off when they try to patronise the Asian audience with their myths and political agenda.

Liu Xin and Keyu Jin are in the same class as Teymoor Nabili, telling different stories from an Asian perspective that are rare in the English medium media dominated by the West and the bananas. The world needs more of them to give a more balance view of what is happening and calling a spade a spade. They should be given more space to keep the world informed and see things on a balanced perspective, not the American or western perspective that white is good and must be good, any other colours are bad.

PS. Singapore is very good in employing top professional talents, pays them like top professional talents but used them to clean the tables? Did anyone say waste of money, waste of talent?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protecting children from fake news - end results

This problem of fake news if not stopped in its path would snowball into crisis proportion given the kiasu, kiasi and kia chenghu mentality of parents. Children are most vulnerable to fake news though our daft sinkie adults are not spare either. The combination of daft sinkie adults as parents and the need to protect their equally daft children would like lead to many measures being taken to keep the children safe and sound.

The best way to insulate the children from fake news trauma is to keep them inside a bubble, carefully guarded by the parents. The how to do this is purely technical. Where can the fake news come from other than by words of mouth? TV, media, internet particularly google, blogs, facebook, emails and of course mobile phones like twitters and sms.

Daft parents are likely to keep their children away from these sources of fake news. The children would likely be carefully guided,guarded, restricted only to programmes that the parents approved, and all the mobile devices and laptops would be confiscated and only permitted to use under the watchful eyes of the adults. Properly implemented, the children would be very safe, reading only school textbooks and approved material by the parents, no TV, no radio, limited access to the internet and mobile devices.

The children will grow up like living in safe heavens, singing hymns and citing poetry, unaware of all the evils of fake news in the world, very safe and very sound. It is like children kept inside a bubble free from bacteria and viruses. No need immunization, very healthy as long as they are inside the bubble.

These children will grow up in their own sanitized world of purity, innocence and honesty, no fake news or unsavoury things to distract them from their way of life. The presence of wildlife will not be their problem. They would believe the wildlife would be just as goody goody as them. Everything they see and touch would be real and the truth, no lying, no cheating, no bluffing, no fakes.

Below is a picture of the 4 monkeys to represent our sanitized children of the future, free from fake news. They would not know there is such thing called fake news. I would not know how they would take it when faced with fake news.

Pic copied from Wikipedia. View at www.mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg
redbean

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach children critical thinking skills
I was embarrassed reading this article in thenewpaper on 6 May by a Lia Testa Teismann, head of secondary courses at the British Council. What she talked about, teaching our young critical thinking to know what is fake news and misinformation is all common sense. When our daft Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act(POFMA), oops, I mean draft, was read in Parliament, it was such a disappointment that no one dare to tell the minister how nonsensical is this bill. It was equally disappointing that none of our thinkers, scholars, academics, educationists spoke up in the same vein to debunk the myth concocted by the authority about fake news.
Maybe they all agree that we should bring up our children in a cocoon or bubble, screened and protected from all the fake news, no need to tell them the truth, no need to teach them to tell the difference from fake news, misinformation and the truth, just keep them away from each other. This is how irresponsible our thinking community or academics are on this matter. Life is not simply black and white and Singaporeans, including children and adults need to face them squarely in their lives.
If we don’t teach out young to think, how could they fend for themselves when they are brought up in an environment without fake news and misinformation? The hard truth is that the authority everywhere is the biggest manufacturer of fake news and misinformation. Look at how our history books were written by the West, the colonialists. Till today, practically every adult is still spouting the nonsense, the misinformation that Singapore was founded by Stamford Raffles. What kind of bull is this? When are we going to rewrite our history correctly to remove this fake information, that Raffles did not found Singapore? Singapore and the people of Singapore existed way before even Raffles was born.
The fault of educating our young lies in our adults, and sad to say many of our adults could not think, could not differentiate between truth and fake news or misinformation or propaganda of the state. When questioned about the threat of China, Mahathir told the journalists off pointedly. Where is the threat from China? Malaya/Malaysia was having good relations with China for thousands of years before the Europeans came, and the Chinese did not conquer or colonise them. But when the Europeans came, within two days, they conquered and colonized Malaya and ruled for nearly 200 years. Same as all the Asian and SE Asian countries, all suffered the same fate, conquered and ruled by the Europeans, not by China.
But if you ask any silly Asian, especially the bananas, they would respond like robots, to tell you how they fear China, an expansionist and aggressive country, wanting to conquer and rule the world. Who have done that and who is ruling the world? These unthinking adults did not know that they have been planted with misinformation by the West for their entire life, reading western propaganda and white lies as the truth, as history.
Did our govt and leaders know the difference? Who needs critical thinking skills, the adults or children or the people supposedly wise enough to implement the new ‘akan datang’ law to be obeyed without thinking?
To teach critical thinking, we need to rewrite our history books and learn a new history of our little island and the whole of Asia and the world from our own perspectives as victims of the marauding West. Do the adults understand the meaning of American Exceptionalism, Doctrine of Christian Discovery, or things like lobbying when lobbying is actually corruption and bribery at the highest level in American politics said differently? The West used different words to disguise their evilness and wickedness but used crude words to smear the rest of the world, regime change is invasion of a country. Period. Rule of law is law that you must obey, not the Americans or the West, their law for you to live by.
If we gag a nation of people, what kind of people will they become? Sanitized like kindergarten children, reading only fairy tales and believing in fairy tales?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake news - ’Glaring omission’
WP slams exemption of Govt from being sued for falsehoods under enhanced anti-harassment laws
Senior Minister of State for Law Edwin Tong argues that government officers can be held accountable in the usual forums, such as Parliament. He was responding to criticism that the Government is exempt from harassment protection laws.
Today online
It was reported that the Workers Party slammed the govt for exempting itself from the protection of fake news law. Is this normal, reasonable and the right thing to do? The govt is giving itself almost absolute power to sue and prosecute the people for making fake news and falsehood but exempting itself from being sued by the people. Where is the equity and fairness of this law?
In principle the law must cut both ways. Why give the govt the power to persecute but not to be persecuted, does this mean that the govt can make fake news and falsehood with immunity? Obviously not, and obviously no one would expect the govt to be spreading fake news and falsehood. So why the need to protect itself from being sued by the people with this exemption? The people in the govt are also human beans, not gods, and would commit the same carnal sins like every human beans, intentionally or otherwise.
Come on, the govt would not and cannot be expected to go so low to be spreading fake news and falsehood right? So, why not put itself on the chopping as well should it be found guilty of the same crime? Civil servants cannot be above the law and if they committed crimes by making fake news and falsehood they must also be sued or charged. No one is above the law.
The WP has a point in slamming the govt on this. The law is for everyone, people, civil servant or the govt. A crime is a crime.
HDB prices can only go up. True or fake news or manipulation?
CPF is not your money. True or fake news or manipulation? This remark was uttered in Parliament and greeted with approval by the applause and cheers from the MPs and ministers.
What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake news law will help and promote innovation
Concerns raised – Today online
Google says Singapore's fake news laws may hurt innovation
"We remain concerned that this law will hurt innovation and the growth of the digital information ecosystem," said Google.
Google said fake news law may hurt innovation. I say rubbish. Google does not understand Singapore and how clever is our govt. They did not know how many manhours of great men and women were put into making this fake laws to make sure it does not hurt anything, especially innovation.
I think this fake law would be good, in fact very good for innovation. No fake innovations by fake innovators. Maybe this fake law would also target fake degrees and qualifications to keep the fakes out of Singapore. Now that would be great.
Come to think of it, which is more dangerous, fake news or fake degrees? Why no new laws to curb fake degrees and make it a serious crimes when there are so many fake degrees here and depriving Singaporeans from getting decent jobs?
Personally I think fake degrees are a clear and present danger, already hurting many Singaporean PMETs and now new young graduates.
Back to this innovation and digital information ecosystem thing. This fake laws come very handy and timely. The digital information ecosystem will also be protected from fake news and probably also fake degrees. So how can this fake laws be bad and against innovation?
Singapore will definitely be the place for digital information when all the fakes are kept outside of this island. Everything is genuine, no fake news, no fake talents, no fake degrees.
Now you understand how good this fake law is. Every law is carefully considered and crafted by the best talent money can buy. Fake news law is a blessing for innovation in this island. All innovations will be real innovations, not fake innovations. All innovators are real innovators and not fake innovators.
This fake news law is the best thing that can happen to Singapore.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majority of Singaporeans want strong laws against fake news?

In response, ruling party politician Edwin Tong rubbished Mr Paine’s claims and said that the Government is “confidentthat there is broad and deep support among an overwhelming majority of Singaporeans for laws to tackle online falsehoods.”
Asserting that “the overwhelming majority of Singaporeans want strong laws to deal with online falsehoods” and that only a small group is “crying wolf” over the bill, he said: “Crying wolf repeatedly gets no attention.”

He added: “The Government is confident that most Singaporeans understand the Bill’s main thrust. The concerted attempts by a small group of persons to mislead have not got any traction among most Singaporeans.
“The small group of persons I have referred to, speak in ashrinking echo chamber, with increasing shrillness. Some take refuge inalarmist language (including comparisons with nuclear wars) in desperate attempts to get attention.”

Netizens on social media have disputed this claim and have asked Mr Tong to prove his claim that an “overwhelming majority” of Singaporeans want strong legislation against fake news.
Asserting that the Government should have called for a national referendum if the people’s views on fake news legislation really mattered, Singaporeans called Mr Tong’s claims “fake news”:

Above posted in theindependent.sg site.

I also conducted a survey and found the majority of Singaporeans want PAP to rule forever. They even said it is ok to live under a dictator as long as the prices of their HDB flats would only go up and never come down and their money in their CPF would always be there.

Some of you may disagree with my survey results, it is alright. You can also conduct your own survey to discredit my survey. One question I would like to ask, how many of you think that the above surveys, my survey and the one saying the majority of the people want strong laws against fake news are fake news?

Oh, you can also make a survey on how many people love to continue to have more foreigners coming and to boost the population to 10m and to boost our economic growth, and how many people would love to pay higher prices for water and electricity. I am sure many Singaporeans would love to have 10m population and would also love to pay and pay for water and electricity. It all depends on who you talk to. Tiok boh?

When I ask the devil about doing evil things, the devil would say that is a good thing and he loves doing evil things.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pope warning against fake news from journalists
'Pope Francis on Saturday urged journalists to desist from publishing fake news, saying it could cause harm, and instead "take time to understand" issues before reporting on them.

Receiving foreign journalists in the Vatican, the pontiff also urged journalists to remain "humble" saying humility "prevents the rotten flow of disinformation and offers the good bread of truth."
Pope Francis said humility was of great importance as it implies consciousness "that through an article, a tweet, a live broadcast either televised or on radio can do good, but also if one is not attentive and scrupulous, harm."

He also said journalists must be very careful of their choice of words in an era of "hostile language" proliferating everywhere, especially on social media.' Yahoo News

What more proof is needed that journalists are the worse culprits in reporting and publishing fake news. You want to rely on journalists and the main media for truth? This warning by the Pope is most telling. He is not warning about fake news from social media. He is warning about the place where fake news is more prevalent and most dangerous, thinking that journalist would be telling the truth but telling lies instead. Who is watching over the journalists and reporters? Do they have the licence to kill?

The pope also talked about forgotten wars that were not reported. 'He also asked the press to speak of "wars forgotten by society.

"Who still talks of the Rohingyas?" he said. "Who still speaks of the Yazidis? They are forgotten and they continue to suffer."'

But the Pope conveniently forgotten about the destructive wars fought by the Americans in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, and many parts of the world. He is smart not to say anything about the Evil Empire.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ok to pass fake news around? Ask Shanmugam

"If youreceive something and in good faith you forward it, as most people do, you share, you like it - no problem. There is no criminal liability, there is no civil liability. At most, you will receive a correction," said K Shanmugam....

Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam has clarified that netizens who unknowingly share fake news in good faith will not be jailed, as he sat down with tech and lifestyle site Vulcan Post to respond to netizens’ concerns on the recently passed Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act (POFMA).

The above are quoted from theindependent.sg

When I read the first paragraph I nodded my head in agreement and feel very assured. This is no fake news, Shanmugam is telling the truth this time. If not Leong Sze Hian would be charged in court for a criminal or civil offence. Shanmugam must have this in consideration and thus Leong Sze Hian was spared.

Leong being sued by Hsien Loong is a private, not criminal in nature. But was this not a civil suit under tort? Was it civil liability? Got difference or not?

The second paragraph is a bit disturbing. Sharing 'fake news in good faith will not be jailed' but could still be charge or sued? When the legal people said one thing, be careful if he does not say another thing. Will not be jailed can still imply that the person can still be sued and fined or given punishment. So it is no comfort to know that there is no criminal or civil liability or cannot be jailed.

It is better be kiasi and kiasu and kia cheng hu and don't pass fake news around. You cannot be too sure what Shanmugam said. There are many ways to read and interpret what he said though it sounds very assuring, just like fake news law is just that, not to be abused or anyhow use to hantam the people. Would the presence of such a law be good enough to frighten the people?

Think safety first.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First test of fake news in the news

A diplomatic faux pas between Singapore on one side and Vietnam and Cambodia on the other side seems to be brewing with both sides saying different things on the Vietnamese presence in Cambodia. Hsien Loong said it was an invasion of Cambodia by Vietnam. The Vietnamese said they were there to liberate the Cambodians from the Khmer Rouges. The Cambodians chipped in to say they appreciated the Vietnamese presence and to prevent the massacre of the Cambodians by the Khmer Rouges. The Vietnamese and Cambodians are asking Hsien Loong to apologise for saying something they don't see as their truth.

Some quarters in the opposition parties have raised this issue and calling for Hsien Loong to apologise for making a false statement or a fake news or alternative truth. Who is telling the truth and who is spreading false or fake news? The Vietnamese and cambodians are sticking to their version of the truth. Hsien Loong is sticking to his Singaporean truth.

Can both sides be telling the truth or one side is telling truth and one side is telling fake news? How would this stand under our POFMA? I am very sure if this case appears in our courts it would definitely be in Hsien Loong's favour and the other side be judged as making false news and vice versa. What would Shanmugam said, Hsien Loong spreading fake news or the Cambodians and Vietnamese spreading fake news?

Is fake news so easy to judge? And in this case if one party is wrong for spreading fake news, it would mean that govt or national leaders can be spreading fake news. Actually the answer is so obvious. It all depends on who is saying it and in which country and what they would want to believe. Hmmm, does it mean that the truth is subjective or fake news is subjective? Remember that every country is writing their own history, and Singapore's history is British Empire history?

What do you think? While so many that are here, with Matilah the cheer leader, are in agreement with what was said in Parliament, that CPF is not our money, many, including me, would say CPF is our money. Am I spreading fake news, or what transpired or uttered in Parliament was fake news?

Now that POFMA is law, the party that is making false or fake news can be charged. Can those who shared my view that CPF is our money be charged for spreading fake news? The answer is no, parliamentary privilege, can say anything in parliament and cannot be charged, unless...
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Korea - What the West did not want you to see or know
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/north-korea-china-ties-xi-jinping-visit-11648808

The above is a short 3 minute clip of Xi Jinping's recent visit to North Korea. What is interesting is to note the infrastructure of North Korea, roads, buildings and the people, what they are wearing, the common folks and their residents etc etc.

Are these the images of a poor country suffering from famine and abject poverty that the evil West want you to believe in? The West have been spreading their white lies about North Korean since the end of the Korean War, imposing trade sanctions and conducting military exercises threatening to invade North Korea. They hope to destroy North Korea. And if they are unable to, they spread white lies to make others think North Korea is about to habis, finito.

Do not believe in white lies. Open your own eyes to see the truth, things that the West did not want you to know. Be liberated from the oppression of western imperialism.

PS. Listen to this American introducing a China made phone, One Plus, in Mandarin in America, so fluent and eloquent. 5 min clip.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake news, half truth or what?
SINGAPORE (June 14): Prudential’s Barry Stowe, who retired in Dec 2018, was the highest paid CEO among Singapore listed companies in 2018.

Besides being listed in London, Prudential has a secondary listing on the Singapore Exchange since May 2010.

For lifting the international financial services group’s earnings by 26%, Stowe was given a 7.8% hike in compensation to $16.5 million.

In joint second place was Oxley Holdings’ Ching Chiat Kwong and Xu Cheng Qiu, executive chairman of China Sunsine Chemical Holdings, who were paid $12 million each although Xu’s actual remuneration was still pending review by the board and had not been finalised.

Ching’s amount was about 24% lower than the year before, the property developer’s earnings were up 30.7% between FY2017 and FY2018 while Xu’s pay was up 63.8% over FY2017 as the company’s earnings grew 87.9% over the same period.

In fourth place was Dr Tan See Leng of IHH Healthcare who took home $11.9 million in FY2018, 6.7% higher than his FY2017 package. The healthcare group suffered a 35.3% drop in earnings in FY2018 from FY2017. Tan is stepping down by December this year.

Coming in fifth was Piyush Gupta of DBS Group Holdings, the most valuable listed GLC in terms of market capitalisation. Gupta saw a 15.6% hike in his compensation package to $11.9 million for 2018. DBS reported a 27.6% gain in earnings in FY2018 from the year before.

The above is from Yahoo News.

How many of you think the above is inaccurate or an elephant is missing? Masagos Zulkifli advised the public by saying this, ' Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Masagos Zulkifli has taken a stand against fake news, cautioning members of the public to check whether the sources of stories are reliable and legitimate before they share news.'

If a piece of information is inaccurate or contains some misleading information, or some missing information, the writer should at least clarify by saying that the information is incomplete and does not give a full picture of the whole truth. Like the above article, we know that some important numbers are not stated and missing, but the writer is passing this off as the whole truth. Are there people earning more than those above and not reported?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main media telling lies and fake news
We were told that the only true news is from the main media. The truth is that the main media, in print, in the air and over the TV is producing fake news and lies every day and everywhere.
Look at the situation in the Persian Gulf. The main media have been parroting the American and western view that Iran is the trouble maker, the one that is raising tension and threatening the shipping in the region.
The truth, the Americans and the West are the real trouble makers. All the tension and threats of war is caused by the Americans and the West. There was no threat to shipping until the Americans moved in their warships to threaten Iran and told the unthinking world that Iran is threatening the shipping in the region. The false flags attacks on a few containers were as clear as daylight, the acts of the Americans and their cronies.
The piracy, the hijacking of ship, was committed first by the British in Gibraltar. Iran was only responding and reacting to the piracy against their ship and the threats against their country by the Americans and their cronies. No principled and responsible country should join the coalition of the American gangsters to attack Iran. The first semi colony of the American Evil Empire has answered the call of its colonial master to join the evil coalition when everyone is staying clear of it. Japan, the other Asian colony of the American Empire would be next to say yes. Soon the little USAs would follow suit. They cannot say no to the world’s number One gangster, the American warmongers.
What did the main media do? Did the main media think, investigate, check, double confirm the truth? NO, they simply repeat and parrot what the Americans and the West said and want them to say. Iran is the victim of American aggression and threats of war, not the warmonger. Get this fact right.
The unthinking and irresponsible main media are just being irresponsible and unthinking and spreading fake news and lies, a dereliction of their main duty and responsibility as the guardian of truths. Reading the main media dished out by the Americans and the West would make one think that Iran is the bad guy, the trouble maker, the one that is raising tension and threatening shipping. This is the bullshit that the main media is saying. And the other bullshit is that the Americans are the protector of freedom of navigation and lowering tension in the region, not threatening anyone or Iran.
The main media have failed the world badly by being accomplice to spreading fake news and lies. Period.
No? Think again. Use the thing in between your ears and put it to good use. Don’t allow it to gather dust from being unused. When one reads the main media, think doubly hard, triple hard and not be misled by their falsehood and fake news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Page 32 of 32

Jump to: