Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Job Loss Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singaporeans, PRs, locals, residents?
Read a front page article in thenewpaper talking about Jobless graduates
and the numbers of locals unemployed, residents unemployed but not a word
mentions about Singaporeans or PRs. What is a local, what is a resident? A
Singaporean, a non Singaporean, a PR or a foreigner that happened to work
here? Who cares?

Who cares about locals or residents? What a true blue Singaporean would be
concerned about would be the well being of Singaporeans, whether they are
happily employed or unhappily unemployed, under employed or retrenched.
This is what being Singaporean is all about. And isn’t this is what the
govt or people in govt should be concerned about?

Why are they mumbling about locals and residents? Are these some secret
codes that are used to confuse matters, to hide facts that are important to
Singaporeans? With all the numbers mentioned in the report, does any
Singaporean know how many Singaporeans are unemployed versus non
Singaporeans? Is this not the issue?

What is happening? What is the agenda? Does anyone want to know how many
Singaporeans are unemployed or retrenched? Locals, residents, what the
hell? These are meaningless terms unless we know what they are and what
portion or percentage is Singaporeans. Not talking about Singaporeans, not
wanting to say anything about Singaporeans is as good as not wanting to let
Singaporeans know, something to hide, something unpleasant to hide.

The fate of daft Sinkies is sealed but no one wants to talk about it. Not
saying it, not revealing it does not mean it will go away. Singaporeans
have a right to know what is the situation and whether they are being sold
to the karung guni man.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local employers struggling to attract talent
This is a survey conducted by an agency, Willie Towers Watson. Two out of three employers are struggling to attract talent.
Now I understand why the kopitiam towkay is complaining he could not find talents for his business. He is looking for a doctorate chemist to make his kopi better, a hygiene expert to clean his plates and cups and toilets. The ‘everything $2’ shop is looking for an internationally qualified and experienced marketeer to bring his business from Ang Mo Kio to Tuas. He is expanding to every corner of Singapore.
Heard got Town Councils looking for internationally trained sanitation engineers to raise the standard of sweeping floors. The wet market also looking for engineers to computerize the lighting and floor cleaning, to be automated but also could not find the talents they needed.
With all the local operators running local businesses going hi tech, to compete across town council boundaries for talents, maybe that is why there is such a big shortage of talent for hire. Even HRs must be foreigners, with foreign or international experience, to be good enough to do the job of hiring cleaners. Administrators also must have international experience and Masters or Ph Ds.
All this will add up to the pressure for the already dearth in talent city state. Of course the said survey was talking about a small specialized field, talents in a few specific and specialized professions, not all sundries. It is not that all employers are struggling for talents like the kopitiam owners, $2 shops and wet markets, the survey was talking about cloud computing, mobile app designing, science, technology, engineering, mathematics etc etc. Wait a minute, aren’t our NUS and NTU the best among the world’s best in engineering and science and technology? Why are they not producing the talents needed? Or these graduates are not better than funny graduates from funny universities in the third world countries that are now flooding Raffles Place and MBFC, or even worse, not better than scintillating degrees printed on genuine quality papers from degree mill universities?
This is progress when the kopitiams and wet markets are also looking for post graduate holders as employees. Of course this cannot be lah. Only stupid people will take this seriously. But it is serious when anything called foreign talent is a talent and better than the local PMETs and got hired over local PMETs.
Shit, I am also starting to confuse myself and instead of talking about Singaporean PMETs unconsciously started to think ‘local’ with no respect to Singaporeans and non Singaporeans. I must have been brainwashed after the daily bombarding from the media, that it is all about ‘locals’ not about Singaporeans. This is how powerful the media can be. All the media need to do is to keep repeating something until it becomes second nature, like it is the new truth, something unacceptable becomes acceptable. This is like the CPF, your money but if they keep repeating that it is not your money, the daft Sinkies will get used to it and give up asking for the return of their money in the CPF.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 year foreign talent appointed as athletic technical director
Singapore’s dearth of talent is again exposed with the appointment of a 32 year old foreign talent as the Singapore Athletics technical director. Volker Herrmann will not be the one and only 30s super talent that have found jobs here in spite of the plentiful of old cocks, oops I mean coaches, that were not deemed good enough. There are so many of these 30s foreign talents all over Singapore holding positions that Singaporeans would love to be in, from the academics to entertainments and many other fields.
And sure enough this new talent has enough of talent to tell the daft sinkies that Singapore has a very nice stadium, nearly perfect sporting infrastructure, commitments and dedications shown by athletics, high technical level, high level of coaching, old coaches are willing to learn new tricks, have good knowledge, etc etc. Despite all this great stuff, our athletics are not on the podium of international sports or rarely. So a foreign talent would change this sorry state of affair.
Now what is the solution? According to this Herrmann, it is communication and collaboration among the fraternity and a back to basics approach to training will be the key to success beyond the region. Oh, not just these, training must be about quality, not quantity. ‘But the trend now is to focus on the quality of the training, so we need to reduce the volume of training and focus on the technique and intensity of the sessions instead.’ This reminds me of what the MOE was trying to do in the last regime before the two new ministers came in to change everything. Yes, teach less and learn more or something like that. Now I get the picture, it is not the volume but the quality of the teaching or training.
Ok, not so simple. Herrmann added, athletics is a late developer sport, so must have long term development plan for budding athletes. He added, ‘If you have the wrong fundamentals, like a lack of coordination, lack of core strength, lack of general endurance, you’ll never be able to make it to world class…So we need to ensure that these kids have the appropriate age related training. It should be joyful, it should impact different parts of the body, the brain, and the central nervous system.’
My God, why aren’t our coaches aware of all these good stuff? Where have they been, what have they been learning and teaching? Now a 32 year old foreign talent, with all 32 years of experience, l mean life experience, not sure how many years of coaching experience, is here to share with them how to improve the performance of our athletes in world competition.
This must be another case of money well spent and worth every cent paid for it. We need more 30 year olds to teach our old cocks how to be coaches and in every field of endeavours. It looks like we have a nation of obsolete unthinking Ah Peks, cannot innovate anymore and with all good facilities and good stuff, still cannot produce any good results. Anyone above 40 year old is out of sync, out of touch with the latest knowledge in all fields. Yes, they need to go for retraining to be taxi drivers and security guards. Maybe can find good jobs in third world countries. The old cliché that old is wisdom needs to be thrown out of the window. Forget about the oldies, especially daft sinkie oldies. I am one of them.
Youth is talent, especially foreign, knowledge and wisdom from any corner of the globe, never mind little towns and villages will be better than our old cocks.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model answers for writing CVs
This is another sad case of a PMET unable to find job in his beloved country that he pledged to protect with his life and offered the best part of his life doing National Service to be paid pittance and to lose out in job opportunities and working experience. There are many such cases that are so desperate, no one to turn to and Gilbert was the last place to let go their frustration.
‘PMET jobless for 18 months and feeling frustrated at CECA arrangement - Dear Gilbert, as I read this, it reminds me of my own situation. I was hired into the company with the bosses promising me a career change. …
Maybe I should set up an agency to help these people with model answers in writing CVs for job applications. Singaporeans have gone through a school system that is fundamentally based on model answers. No thinking required, just game the system by reproducing model answers from model past questions. So selling model answer CVs could be a good business to the daft Singaporeans. Oops, not sure who is daft, the people willing to buy model answer CVs or me, thinking that a model CV could get them a job, never mind if they have or did not have the skills for the job. A good CV to land a job?
This last part is also questionable. How many businesses hiring foreigners here hired them for their skills, qualifications or their CVs? How many out there were employed by submitting faked degree mill degrees or model answer CVs with doctored or false working experience and skills?
What is real? How and why the foreigners are employed by the busloads and not Singaporeans. Let me remind you people reading this, to notice that I have been repeating the word ‘Singaporeans’ here many many times. You don’t read ‘Singaporeans’ anywhere else on such matters except here, I think. Other places and media would use terms like locals, residents without giving a clue whether they meant Singaporeans, PRs or residents.
Ok, back to this thing, how are so many foreigners finding jobs here so easily but Singaporeans are finding it so difficult? Is it just a matter of CVs, fake qualifications or something else and what is this something else? I can write beautiful CVs for sale, but I cannot guarantee anyone getting a job for it because of this ‘something else’ that ended with foreigners being hired and not Singaporeans. If you open your eyes and look around, many companies, including GLCs are flooded with foreigners who don’t look anything talented at all. Just take a walk around Raffles Place and MBFC and you will see hordes of so called foreign talents working happily here. I must state it clearly here that I did not sell my model answer CVs to them to get the jobs. Most of them got their jobs through something else.
Still guessing what is this something else? Some may call it the X factor. I also dunno, but those who know would not tell you and keep hiring the foreigners over Singaporeans with their version of model answer CVs and degrees that have everything the employers want.
I think only daft Singaporeans would buy my CVs and still go jobless, not even call up for interviews after sending out 100, 200 or 500 application letters because the hirers can smell if the application letters are from Singaporeans or from foreigners. More than half a million successful foreigners are hired in this City called Singapore.
Dunno to laugh or to cry. Why did I say this? Because it depends on who you are, a foreigner or a Singaporean. If you are a foreigner you will be very happy and laughing. If you are a Singaporean, like those writing to Gilbert Goh, you will be crying until no tears left.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lazy Singaporean workers
Singaporeans today are not only unskilled and mismatched and therefore unemployable. They are also choosy and lazy. The warning is written all over the places and spoken by everyone who cares for their own good. Stop being lazy, go for training, go for upgrading courses, go job changing. Job changing is the new musical chair game for Singaporean lazy Singaporean workers and is highly recommended. Don’t be lazy, if you can’t find jobs in Singapore, go job hunting in other third world countries. This one is a bit difficult to swallow. If they cannot find jobs in Singapore, who thinks they could find jobs in other countries when jobs are protected?
Singaporeans who are lazy would lose their jobs to hungry foreigners coming here. This is globalization and there is no need to think of citizenship has its privileges. Citizens or not, your job would not be protected in Singapore and it is open to everyone in the whole wide world. Everyone can come here to steal your jobs. This is uniquely Singapore and is supported by the Singaporeans as seen in the results of the last general election. This is a reflection of their overwhelming support for the govt for such policies.
If you can’t survive here because your job is being stolen, go to other countries to steal their jobs. Hopefully those countries also believe in globalization and allow jobs in their countries to be stolen by Singaporeans. If not, then just too bad. How many countries out there are still preaching this stupid mantra that jobs for citizens need not be protected, and foreigners can happily come in to steal the citizens’ jobs? Off hand I would say none except Singapore.
How many countries out there allow Singaporeans to go and steal their jobs? One thing for sure, those govts would be overthrown if they don’t look after the welfare of their citizens and their jobs. But in Sin City, it is the reverse. The people will continue to vote for the govt with increasing majority even if the govt preaches globalization and hungry foreigners can come in to steal their jobs because Singaporeans are lazy and have no marketable skills.
Singaporeans are so blessed.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the clowns are asleep, jobs got stolen
Manu Sawhney became the new Sports Hub CEO in Oct 2015.
In an interview about couple of months into the job, he told the media, “As a proud Singaporean, I thought it was a great opportunity for me to play my part in building sports. And using this facility … how do we help put Singapore on the global sporting destination map.”
And now, about 1.5 year later, it was reported yesterday (20 May) that he was forced to take an “extended personal leave” following an anonymous letter of complaint against him.
Since Sawhney’s appointment, many senior management and staff have left Sports Hub, including its legal, marketing, corporate communication and HR heads. The media reported in Aug last year that the staff at Sports Hub were having “low morale” caused by the lack of communication, and actions by the company’s leadership….
“Since then, there has been very little communication by the leadership. There have been a lot of closed-door decisions, and we have not heard from the CEO regarding his vision and direction for the Sports Hub since he came on board,” a source told the media.
Another said, “A lot of new staff, including senior management, have been hired over the last several months but no one tells us who they are, or what they will be doing. They show up all of a sudden.”
“As a result, people get affected. They start wondering whether the new staff are here to eventually replace them,” the person added.
The above is from an editorial piece posted in the TRE titled, ‘Sports Hub CEO: A proud S’porean who didn’t serve NS’. And here is a photo of his office and staff. Look very carefully, are the staff Singaporeans? If you need to, expand the photo to get a better picture. Very likely they are Singaporeans, new citizens, or PRs or employment pass holders.
Notice anything amissed in the picture? I would find this office normal if it is taken in New Delhi or Mumbai, but not the Singapore Sports Hub. Maybe the picture is actually taken in New Delhi or Mumbai to create a wrong impression that it is taken from the Singapore Sports Hub. The more I look at the picture the more I don’t believe that it was taken in Singapore, NOT my Singapore, NOT in a govt office. This picture has drawn many criticisms in the TRE for being very unSingapore. Many would not think the staff is of Singaporean mix or reflective of Singapore’s demography. I cannot believe that Singaporeans could not fill these jobs or did not qualify for these jobs, or did not want to work in these jobs and you need to fill them with foreigners.
This is how sick and bad this country has become to Singaporeans if this picture is real. We have lost not only our jobs to foreigners but our country as well. Please do not blame anyone of them in the picture. They are innocent, just people like you and me that want to work, to get a job.
Who do you think should be blamed for this sickening state of affair when Singaporeans could not find decent jobs, (those in the pictures are decent jobs and the CEO’s job would be highly desired by Singaporeans), while pathetic Singaporeans ended up unemployed, unemployable or underemployed.
Which clowns allowed this to happen? Who has/have betrayed the Singaporeans?
With khongcum people in charge this is what is happening to your country. Some said not khongcum but sorchai in charge. Did anyone shout betrayed?
PS.
Sawhney was formerly an Indian national. According to his LinkedIn information, he studied at Birla Institute of Technology and Science for his first degree in Mechanical Engineering before going to Indian Institute of Foreign Trade for his MBA.
He started his career in ITC Global Holdings involving in commodity trading. Some time in the mid-2000s, he came to Singapore and joined ESPN STAR Sports, a broadcast media. He later became a PR and a new citizen.

Why is this chap not a mismatch for the CEO job in the Sports Hub?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooi Jin Teck as CEO of Singapore Sports Hub?
Lee Bee Wah is rooting for Jin Teck, the current COO and now acting CEO with the resignation of Sawhney to be the next CEO. Jin Teck has all the credentials to helm this position, a Singaporean, an Olympian, represented Singapore in swimming and won many medals for the country. Why not?
When you read the names of the who’s who in the Sports Hub and those who have left, resigned after Sawhney became the CEO, one would be wondering why all the top management posts were held by foreigners and Jin Teck is probably the odd Singaporean man out? Don’t we have any Singaporeans good enough to be CEOs, or are we waiting to groom the next generation of CEOs in sports so that they would be ready to become CEOs in 50 years time?
I think Jin Teik’s weakest point is that he is a Singaporean, Singaporean is read as stupid, no talent and not good enough. If Jin Teik is a foreigner, his chances of being the next CEO would be much higher.
Would the Sports Hub be asking a foreign recruitment agency to go around the world to hunt for another foreign trash to be the CEO of the Sports Hub and Jin Teik, being a daft no talent Singaporean, is only a seat warmer, waiting to be replaced?
I know where they should be looking for another talented foreigner to be the CEO of the Sports Hub. Go to the little villages in the third world countries. They have all the talents that Singapore needs to run sports hubs and sophisticated modern businesses with skills honed from their little villages. Singaporeans like Jin Teik are just not good enough to be CEOs though they lived in a modern first world city. They just did not have the exposure needed to run modern facilities compare to the villagers.
What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globalisation creates more and higher paying jobs for Singaporeans…or for foreigners

This is posted in the statestimesreview,

'In the latest interview with ABC Radio today (June 10), Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that globalisation and the import of foreigners create more jobs and higher salaries for Singaporeans:
“In some countries, globalisation is viewed as a monster that wrests jobs from workers. But in Singapore, I see it as a creator of jobs and booster of workers’ wages. This is because as a globalised nation, we can play a role which is servicing the region, which is servicing the world. In doing so, we can have jobs in Singapore which are better paying for a wide range of our people.”'

How many of you agree with this statement that more foreigners create more jobs and higher salaries for Singaporeans? What I know, and what everyone knows, and reported in the media and govt statistics, is that more than 2m jobs were created for foreigners in Singapore and more than a few hundred thousands of these foreigners are earning higher salaries than Singaporeans, and many are earning millions in Singapore companies and govt linked companies. As for the number of jobs created by foreigners for Singaporeans and paying higher salaries, we need statistics to prove that this is the case. Would there be statistics to show how many jobs were created by the foreigners/foreign companies and how many are higher paying jobs occupied by Singaporeans?

The statistics so far proved that Singapore is creating more jobs, millions of jobs for foreigners and many paying higher salaries and many in the millions in Singapore companies and GLCs. Many CEOs of local companies and GLCs are foreigners.

What do you think? Can anyone prove otherwise that indeed more foreigners are creating higher paying jobs for Singaporeans? Name the million dollar Singaporeans that benefited from this globalization drive. Just the academia alone is providing thousands of foreigners with higher paying jobs that they could not get in their home countries.

The big question, is this a win win for Singaporeans and foreigners or a win for foreigners and lose for Singaporeans?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New manpower strategy
MOM, NTUC and SNEF put up a press release on a new manpower strategy for Singapore. The three main points, one, enhanced internship and training for new entrants into the industry, two, self help HR portal for employers and three, provide free HR solutions and expertise to SMEs.
Good, but what about the influx of foreigners to replace Singaporeans? Would the above three points address the concerns of Singaporeans looking for jobs? No, non issue? What are the real problems facing Singaporeans today when many graduates are finding difficulties in getting jobs here and ended underemployed or unemployed while foreigners just waltz into the island and found jobs aplenty, almost instantly employed?
For the last couple of decades, there appears to be a de facto manpower authority that is setting the agenda and strategies for Singapore’s employment scene and the authority of this de facto agency is foreigners. They set the rules and dictate who should be employed, who is skilled, qualified, what kind of degrees or fake degrees are acceptable, and in most cases to the detriment of Singaporeans. Maybe this is a fake issue, that the employment scene for Singaporeans is healthy and bustling and nothing needs to be done, everything is fine?
Is there a problem? Are Singaporeans being replaced by foreigners and becoming redundant, unskilled and obsolete? The impression I have is that the problem is very serious. But maybe I am getting fed the wrong information by people who are paranoid. Everything is fine. If that is the case, then the new strategies would be fine. Singaporeans would be happy with the employment scene and things would even be better, rosier by the days. Nothing to worry about.
What do you think? What is real or fake news?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NUS – Singaporeans growing confidence in Singaporeans
The latest appointment of another Singaporean to be the dean of NUS School of Public Health is a sign that Singaporeans have started to rediscover themselves and growing more confident in their own abilities after a couple of decades of worshipping fake and dubious foreign talents. For two or three decades there was this sinking feeling that Singaporeans are really daft and useless people despite their claims of aceing their academic tests from the best universities in the world. As a result of this self doubt, not sure which donkey started this myth and trend, many foreigners were brought in as foreign talents to replace Singaporeans in many top appointments, including the academia. Today, NTU and to a lesser extent NUS has a predominant foreign presence that did not augur well for the future of Singaporean talents. If the trend continues, one day a minister would say they have started a programme to train Singaporean academics and it would take another 50 years for them to be ready.
Professor Tan Chorh Chuan, NUS President, has been reported to say that NUS went on a world tour of sort, to look for the best in the world to fill the position of the dean of Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health only to find that the incumbent vice dean Professor Teo Yik Ying is still the best man in the world, to be the dean of the School. Should there be a sigh of relief that Singaporeans are now confident enough to look at themselves and confidently tell themselves that we are really the best in the world and not second liners to foreigners?
Would this appoint of Professor Teo be a revival of faith and trust in Singaporean talents and their ability as among the best in the world and the stupidity of thinking that any foreigner, with dubious backgrounds and qualifications that could not be verified or unknown to us, is the best man to helm our institutions? Would there be a soul searching in the top circle of Singapore elite to reflect on this silliness over the last two decades to adore everything foreign and start to have faith in Singaporeans?
We built many great organizations and institutions only to import foreigners to take them over and to replace more Singaporeans with their respective foreigners, leaving Singaporeans in the lurch, destroying their faith and confidence in the process and resign to the fate of being security guards and taxi drivers or temp workers.
If Singaporeans have no faith in Singaporeans and their abilities, Singaporeans will be the ones that will destroy Singapore by importing dubious foreigners that could not build their own countries, failures in their own countries, to take over this island, the island built by Singaporeans.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chan Chun Sing – Preparing our workers for tomorrow’s jobs
Leong Sze Hian raised some concerns about what the govt is doing to provide jobs to the present lot of PMETs that have lost their jobs to foreigners that came as tourists and ended up happily employed while the PMETs ended up jobless or underemployed. Here is what Leong Sze Hian wrote in his article posted in TRE.
‘I refer to the article “Adult education system has to evolve to ‘get tomorrow’s jobs for today’s Singaporeans’: Chan Chun Sing” (Straits Times, Aug 26).
It states that “Singapore has to keep evolving its adult education system, so that its people are one step ahead of others in this rapidly changing economy, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Chan Chun Sing on Saturday (Aug 26)….
“There is no point for us to get yesterday’s jobs, or even today’s jobs, for today’s Singaporeans,” he added. “The question is whether we can get tomorrow’s jobs for today’s Singaporeans.””
Tourists come to compete for jobs?
Arguably, what’s the point of being “equipped with the skill sets for tomorrow’s jobs, rather than just today’s jobs”, when practically everyday – we may be the only developed country in the world that allows practically every Tom, Dick and Harry, to come as tourists to look for jobs, and stay when they find one?’
I must say I agree with both Chan Chun Sing and Leong Sze Hian’s comments. What is the point of preparing Singaporean for today’s jobs when they have already gone to the foreigners and also they were not prepared for these jobs? Either way the Singaporeans are the losers.
And, in Leong’s comment, what is the point of equipping Singaporeans with tomorrow’s job skills when foreigners could walk in as tourists to steal their jobs?
My conclusion is that both knew that it is a serious problems and both solutions are no solutions to the problems of the PMETs. It is as good as doing for the sake of doing but ending up doing nothing or no result. My recommendation, to save the time and effort of everyone, don’t do anything. Just let it be since both situations did not solve anything.
Unless they are going to stop foreigners coming here as tourists and happily applying for jobs. Unless they are going to be serious and start to apply some control and quota on the number of foreigners being approved for jobs here, everything else is nonsense.
Saying this is easy, but implementing it is difficult unless they are going to make companies and HR professionals doing the hiring, responsible for hiring Singaporeans first and not going through the motion with no intention of hiring Singaporeans but to hire more foreigners.
How to do it? The MOM must be serious and hands on and put in policies and people to manage the situation like making sure HR professionals are Singaporeans and answerable to MOM. The details could be a bit more complicated than just these. Worth the trouble to do it? Worth the trouble to look after Singaporeans or never mind, foreigners are more important? Singaporeans you die your business?
Just look at these numbers put up by Leong and ask what the fuck is happening.
‘…from 2015 to 2016 – it is estimated that almost none of the 11,400 jobs growth (37,300 foreigners’ jobs growth) to locals – actually went to Singapore born true-blue Singaporeans (61,005 new PRs and 42,917 new citizens granted in the same two-year period)?’
Even if this is 50% correct it is a serious problem. But more likely this is nearly 100% correct as Leong’s data are from official sources.

PS. Today's Singaporeans not getting today's jobs is never mind.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lim Tean – Fair Jobs for Singaporeans
The above is taken from a post by Cynical Investor posted in TRE.
Fair Jobs for Singaporeans!
I shall be organising an event at Speakers’ Corner in the 2nd week of September under the aegis of my Movement – Project Freedom , with the theme of ” Fair Jobs for Singaporeans ! ” .
We will not be discussing diabetes , pre-school or smart nation at the event but on the critical topic of what our Government should be doing to protect the rights of Singaporeans to find good jobs in their homeland !
Singaporeans are finding it increasingly difficult to get jobs whether you are a fresh graduate or a PMET who has been displaced by a foreign worker . The landscape for jobs in Singapore gets bleaker by the day . Our government has done little to prepare our workers for the revolution that is about to engulf the world as a result of automation .
I am crowdfunding for $ 20 000 to organise the event . A breakdown of the estimated itemised cost is as follows :-
1.Stage and tentage
2.Sound system
3.Barricades
4. Security personnel
Please support generously by donating to the following account ;
POSB Savings Account No : 404-14132-5
I call on 16 800 Singaporeans ( so far $ 3200 has been raised ) to please help give $ 1 each ( and in the process show the displeasure of the neglect of the government in this area ) and to share this meaningful event with your friends .
I look forward to seeing you at Hong Lim Park !
The above is taken from a post by Cynical Investor posted in TRE. The job situation for Singaporean graduates and PMETs has never been so bad that many of them have gone on to the retired list while quite a number are underemployed after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a good degree from our world class universities. The number of Singaporean graduates becoming part time workers, contract workers or even becoming taxi or Uber/Grab drivers is no laughing matter. It is not just a shame but a crime against our very own Singaporeans to end up this way.
Today we have someone serious and credible in Lim Tean to take up this cause for our pathetic and lost Singaporeans. Many have given up, no idea on what to do to improve their lives. Here is a man that could make a difference to the lives of jobless and unemployed Singaporeans. Lim Tean could be the man Singaporeans have been waiting for to come forward in critical times like this to make a change for the better.
Singaporeans cannot continue to languish in hopelessness, hoping and waiting for jobs from MOM’s job banks or to attend NTUC classes to train them to go to work in third world countries to earn third world currencies that would not be enough to feed their families and pay for the expensive HDB flats.
The cause that Lim Tean is taking up is a worthy cause and very important to the well being of Singaporeans. This is a cause worth supporting. I will do my little contribution to this calling. Something serious must be done now to stop the destruction of the Singaporean PMETs from the employment market. They have families to feed and a son is critical to be able to live in this most expensive city in the world.
Please support this cause and support fellow Singaporeans. It is a shame to see millions of foreigners walking into this city as tourist and get a permanent job while Singaporean were left on the shelf, lamenting what is happening to their lives, to their degrees, to their abilities and their self esteem.
Lim Tean is asking for a dollar from each Singaporean. I am sure every Singaporean can do better than this for their fellow Singaporeans. This is like the building of Nantah when the ordinary Singaporeans dug deep into their pockets to help the ordinary Singaporeans. Forget about the millionaires. They have more important matters to care for. They don’t have time for the ordinary Singaporeans, the so called losers.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Singapore story on taxi drivers
Copied this story from All Singapore Stuff.
A taxi driver shared this funny but sad encounter during one of his trips from Singapore's iconic Marina Bay Sands to their condominium.
Advertisement
"One day I fetch a well dressed lady with her son in my taxi from MBS to their condo.
The lady told her son "You better study hard and go to University. Or else you will end up driving a taxi like this uncle."
I reply, "Excuse me madam, I actually got a law degree from University of London. But I like to fetch people home."
The boy said "Cool, when I grow up I want to be like uncle."
The lady said "Son, today we took the wrong taxi."

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/woman-tell-son-study-hard-or-he-will-become-sporean-taxi-uncle-his-reply
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff
It is good that the taxi driver clarified to the mother that driving taxis is an honourable job even for a law graduate. And it can be a passion like this law graduate, to love driving people home. In fact Singaporeans love to drive people home in their taxis or private cars using the Grab or Uber system. They especially loved to drive the foreign talents that took their jobs home and also the maids working here after a night out.
And the little boy was smart enough to tell the mother that he too would like to be a graduate to drive taxis.
PS. Not sure if this is fake news or the hard truth.
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, banks grooming locals for key jobs?
Wait a minute, what is this ‘locals’ meant to be? Oh, it is our way of telling a little lie but giving it an impression of truth. ‘Locals’ does not mean Singaporeans. It is PRs and Singaporeans. The word ‘locals’ has been misused to deceive the casual readers that it is about Singaporeans. So if an organization claims to have employed 90% locals, it could be 80% PRs that are not Singaporeans and 10% Singaporeans. And of the 10% Singaporeans, half could be new Singaporeans or foreigners yesterday.
This word ‘locals’ is a very mischievous word. It is like pulling wool over the readers’ eyes. But unless Singapore belongs to everyone and PRs should also be owners of this island and should be treated equally in employment, like citizens, then it is ok if 90% of employment goes to PRs and 10% goes to Singaporeans and still can shout loudly that 100% of employment goes to locals.
What the heck, what am I saying, the daft sinkies would not know the difference anyway, or would not even bother. Let it be, no Singaporean is complaining. They are very happy being Grab and Uber drivers!
So what is this thing about grooming locals for key jobs in the banks? If I could remember correctly, someone said they were preparing locals or Singaporeans to take over top jobs in the banking and finance industry in 50 years. I can’t believe anyone can utter this kind of shit. And this news in the media is good news, for in 20 years, those ‘locals’ under training would be in top jobs, no need to wait for 50 years. It must be.
Nevermind if the locals are Singaporeans or PRs. The original Singaporeans that built this island got no talent and also would not complain, would not mind if this country is taken over by foreigners, PRs or not PRs, what is the diff? And in the same media report today, all the banks are gloating that they are employing 80% or 90% locals. Yes locals! If PRs made up 50% of the employment, it would mean 50% is Singaporeans. And if 30% of the Singaporeans are new citizens, it would mean the really local Singaporeans employed is only 20%.
Is this good enough? Is this a happy situation? What if in 20 years or 50 years time the top jobs are all occupied by ‘locals’ but not Singaporeans, or new Singaporeans? Good or not?

What do you think should be the situation in the future for Singaporeans? To me, the word ‘locals’ is a 4 letter word to deceive the daft sinkies. They would not want to tell you how many Singaporeans are actually employed or unemployed. They only want to tell you ‘locals’ are employed.
Is such cunningness good for Singaporeans?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cry or not to cry for retrenched SPH staff

Mothership.sg posted an article on a townhall meeting by Warren Fernandez, the editor in chief of SPH, to announce the retrenchment of 130 staff. The article said Fernandez said two things that infuriated or exasperated the staff at the meeting. One was to blame the IT department for locking out the staff from using the company's computer system and the other, the hiring of 10 foreign correspondence while talking about retrenching so many staff.

Fernandez also said SPH is still doing well with profit up by 32% to $350 million despite lowering revenue in some sectors. Some may want to question the need to resought to retrenching staff when the company is still growing its profits, but one thing that stood up like a sore thumb is the intent to hire 10 foreign correspondents.
Big question, who are these 10 foreign staff, from where, to do what that the retrenched staff cannot do or be trained to do? Are the skills requirement or expertise so special that none of the staff can do or can be trained to do? It would be criminal to hire foreigners and not retraining or redeploying retrenched staff if the new jobs can be done by these staff. Are there really jobs that are so specialised that only foreigners can do?

Are these foreigners from top notch foreign media from developed countries or 'foreign talents' from third world countries with top notch third world credentials and experienced to replace the retrenched staff? Or is this another sign of the Pinkerton Disease? Imagine Channel News Asia replacing its native staff with angmohs to report news from western perspective and interests? It would then be more appropriate to be renamed Channel News Angmoh. Where is ST heading, West or Third World?

Would SPH be transparent and enlighten on this hiring and would MOM be interested to know the details and could these 10 positions be saved for the retrenched staff?

Dunno want to cry or to pity the retrenched reporters. Hopefully they are not Singaporeans and to be replaced by foreigners in another case of Singaporeans got no talent or the required specialised skills of third world reporters.

Just wait and see how this case is developing and how it turns out to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: