Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Uniquely Singapore to Beyond Words
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking national security for granted?
Magdalene Choo, a research associate at the Institute of Policy Studies conducted a survey on Singaporeans’ attitude towards national security. She was concerned and so was the IPS about our national security. She may want to relate the thinking of Singaporeans and how it would affect out national security. This is a very serious study and I believe the relevant national intelligence agencies would also have our national interest in their minds and would have been monitoring the threats to our country.
It is a good effort to raise the interest of our peoplke with regards to our national security and not to take our national security for granted. This is our country and if Singaporeans are not interested or concerned with our national security, then it is an area of grave concern.
We have spent a lot of money and resources on our national security and defence. Our young men have devoted their whole life to the country and paying a very heavy price for it, including family members and compromising their career development.
The question is, what is the point of worrying whether the people are interested or concerned with our national security when the Trojan Horse in inside our country? And it is not just one Trojan Horse but many. What is more important is that people who should be concerned with our national security must be thinking about our national security and not compromising on our national security? How safe are we as a country when more than half of the population are foreigners with questionable affiliation, loyalty and interest to our national security? How safe are we when our economy and vital professions and installations are run or dominated by foreigners?
What kind of joke is this? I can remember the joke about the British pointing all their big guns at the sea when the Japanese came in from the Malayan mainland. We are concerned that the people are not interested in our national security when we don’t mind sleeping with strangers or inviting strangers into our homes? Do we have any intellect? Do we know where the threat to our national security is coming from? It is like the sheep all up in arms guarding the pen when wolves made up half of the flock in the pen.
How stupid can Singaporeans be?
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cardboard Policemen

Many of you must have heard of the story of tying an elephant with a thin piece of rope to a flimsy piece of stick on the ground. And yes, the elephant would not try to walk away, believing that it would be a vain attempt. It tried furiously when young, tied with strong chain that would not give way. Now conditioned, the elephant still remembers the experience and would not waste any effort to break loose.

The cardboard policemen is an ingenious idea to keep Singapore safe. And this is particularly effective given the conditioning of the Sinkies over 5 decades that they even believe that they are daft, that their life long savings do not belong to them, that they are paying good money, hundreds of millions to the most talented individuals to rule them. And they have been conditioned to fear the authority, the men in blue. A cardboard policeman will do the trick to maintain law and order. Cheap and good.

And the facts cannot be denied. Soon we can expect the authority to come up with a string of statistics to show how crime rate has fallen because of the appearance of the cardboard policemen. And they even have the pleasure to choose a nice looking one, not a fearless Rambo that would kick butts, to instil fear, just a sweet looking guy will do the trick.

With the cardboard policemen on duty, the Police Force could easily increase in numbers by several divisions, each cardboard policeman costing a few dollars, and would work 7/24 all 365 days of the year, tirelessly. Chee Hean can tell the police chief, how many men do you need, just tell me and you can have them. Give the man a tiger, and a medal for this great idea. See, Singaporeans are so easy to be kept away from making trouble. I think, till to date, not a single cardboard policeman has been disfigured, stolen, damaged or burnt. Just make sure the female fans would not bring them home to adore. That is probably the only risk faced by the cardboard policemen.

I am not sure how the foreigners would react to the cardboard policemen. Would they giggle at the sight of one, would they pee on it, or would the lusty ones use them for self gratification? I think this is a small price to pay for such an effective policing force that is practically free, maintenance free, no training required.

Welcome to the land of the cardboard Police Force. Oh, just a note of caution. This concept is only applicable to Singapore and to police Sinkies. Don’t think it will work in other countries. The requirement is decades of conditioning, driving fear into the heads of the daft Sinkies, that the sight of a cardboard policeman will keep them away from crime.

Did anyone say more crimes are committed by Sinkies and not by foreigners? If that is true, then the cardboard policemen are ineffective against Sinkies but effective against foreigners. Now, which is which?

If this concept can be extended to soldiering, we can scrap NS totally. Would that be nice?
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amos Yee – The charges
Amos Yee and his parents appeared in court yesterday to face the following charges for his YouTube video clip. ‘Police said Amos will face charges in court today under Section 298 of the Penal Code for utterances against Christians with a “deliberate intent to wound religious feelings”. Other charges include circulating an obscene object and making threatening, abusive or insulting communication which is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress. The Straits Times’
Read carefully and you will notice how serious the charges are. ‘Deliberate intent to wound religious feelings’ means that the act was intentional and touching on a taboo area in the city state, ie religion and religious feeling. These two points are serious and not to ‘pray pray’ with.
The other adjectives used, ‘threatening, abusive or insulting,…likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress’ …to who? Amos’ offending words were in the YouTube. You know what is the YouTube? A YouTube is like a private document, not sold on the street sides, not forced onto the audience like the TV or Radio, demanding your attention. If you want to view the clip you would have to intentionally access it through a gadget or computer. You seek for the video or info. They don’t come breathing down your neck. Amos did not ask anyone to go to his YouTube to listen to him. The viewers seek to view on his own volition. The viewers trepassed into his video or a blog. He did not broadcast to everyone. Intent?
Perhaps all YoutTube postings or blogs should have a privacy clause, ‘The material or info is private, enter or view at your own risk’. Now, would this make a difference and protect the author from being accused of being intentional or threatening anyone, or harassment or causing alarm and distress to others? A YouTube or blog is passive. If a person does not intent to visit, the person would not notice anything or be offended by its content. Someone shitting in the toilet, another one enters and feels offended by the shit. The person shitting has intent to shit on him? So very funny. Actually it is not funny at all.
But in this city state, the law is the law. Just obey the law and know the peculiarities of the law that is uniquely Singapore. Enter at your own risk. I mean visiting YouTube or blogs.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amos Yee: It is happening – The flutter of a butterfly
This is going to be the flutter of a butterfly that turned into a storm. Roy Ngerng, the unpretentious young man working as a social worker in a hospital was charged for slandering the Prime Minister. Then he went for broke. While waiting for the court’s judgement on the sum he has to pay as compensation, he must be expecting this to be prohibitive, Roy has taken a stance that there is nothing to lose. He is going to fight for every inch of the ground. He has internationalized his case by speaking to the world.
Now there is the case of a 16 year old boy, Amos Yee, being charged for sedition for his rant in a youtube video clip. He is still under detention as his parents could not put up the bail. While some were muddling around on how to help this boy, some already started crowd funding to raise fund for this legal battle, here comes Roy.
Roy has written an open letter of appeal for help to these international agencies, to take up the case of Amos Yee on the ground of child abuse. This is what he wrote in his letter, ‘On 29 March 2015, a 16-year-old boy Amos Yee was arrested and charged on 31 March 2015, just two days later, after he made a video which criticised the late first prime minister of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew. Amos also spoke about the high income inequality in Singapore and attributed it to the first prime minister as well….’
UNICEF:
Catherine Barnett, CPWG
Children Rights Manifesto:
Child Rights Information Network:
Save the Children:
Defence for Children:
International Institute for Child Rights and Development:
Child Helpline International:
Free The Children
ActionAid

The internalization of this case, if successful, is not going to look good to the govt. The question is whether these agencies would respond to Roy’s letter or ignore him. Then would the other human rights groups and local activists pick up the cudgel?
In the internet there has been a lot of comments and agitation for more to be done for Amos Yee. Where would these two cases lead to? Can the govt afford to ignore them, keep quite, don’t do anything and let the court to go through its due processes? If the foreign agencies and the UN choose not act, things could die down very quickly. But if these agencies start to make a case with the govt, then it is not pretty.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amos Yee – A few good men
Amos Yee was remanded, and remained in Changi Prison for 4 days as reported in the ST, when his parents failed to bail him out. It was like the end of the world. Without M Ravi, there seems to be no lawyers left in this island. And all the activists and human rights groups too were not anywhere to be found. It must be a very uncomfortable moment when hope has gone on sabbatical. Just when the people were lost as to what to do, looking around but no one is there to lend a helping hand to this child, despair and fear crept in.
And the ever efficient, uncompromising and professional police, knowing how dangerous this boy is, or how serious the charges are, made sure that he would not be up to any mischief anymore. The boy was handcuffed and his legs shackled, this one reported in the main media but no photographs, the images of Guantanamo flashed through my mind, and taken to court to hear the charges.
Below is copied from an article in TRE.

‘3 charges have been leveled against Amos under Section 298 and Section 292(1)(a) of the Penal Code, and Section 4(1)(b) of the Protection from Harassment Act:
Penal Code
Uttering words, etc., with deliberate intent to wound the religious or racial feelings of any person
298. Whoever, with deliberate intention of wounding the religious or racial feelings of any person, utters any word or makes any sound in the hearing of that person, or makes any gesture in the sight of that person, or places any object in the sight of that person, or causes any matter however represented to be seen or heard by that person, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 3 years, or with fine, or with both.
Sale of obscene books, etc.
292. (1) Whoever -
(a) sells, lets to hire, distributes, transmits by electronic means, publicly exhibits or in any manner puts into circulation, or for purposes of sale, hire, distribution, transmission, public exhibition or circulation, makes, produces, or has in his possession any obscene book, pamphlet, paper, drawing, painting, representation or figure, or any other obscene object whatsoever;
shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 3 months, or with fine, or with both.
Protection from Harassment Act (2014)
Harassment, alarm or distress
4. (1) No person shall by any means -
(a) use any threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour; or
(b) make any threatening, abusive or insulting communication,
which is heard, seen or otherwise perceived by any person (referred to for the purposes of this section as the victim) likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.
(2) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and, subject to section 8, shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000.’

These are very serious charges. As the door was closing down on this boy, 3 lawyers appeared from no where to act on behalf of the boy on pro bono basis. And a good Christian counselor, or an ‘activist’ as reported in the main media, wondering what that word connotes, came out with the bail. Vincent Law, a family and youth counselor, said, ‘I am a Christian and it seems that the charge said that he made disparaging remarks against Christianity. I’m a Christian and I’m stepping up to say that I’m not offended. I’m also a parent and I feel for his parents.’ It is good that a Christian stood up to show that they have nothing against the boy and Amos is a boy and is forgiven. Hope this would settle the offending remarks against the Christian community and no Christians or Christians would come out to say their feelings are hurt or they felt harassed.
The 3 lawyers representing Amos Yee are Alfred Dodwell, Chong Jia Hao and Ervin Tan. Their position is that Amos is a boy and he has the right to be defended in the court of law to get a fair hearing. It is so refreshing to know that there are still some good men around to give a helping hand in times of desperation. What a relief for Amos, for his parents and for Singapore and Singaporeans to see that there is still light at the end of the tunnel. In the darkest hour, there is hope, there is God. And there is justice and righteousness. Hope I am not wrong on this.
A few good men, commanded by their conscience, have stood out to come to the aid of a hapless boy facing incredible odds, fighting for his freedom alone against the machinery of the state and the rule of law.
This boy really needs all the help available. God, your helping hand is needed to see that justice is done.
redbean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High quality fake degrees for sale
Below is an interesting post in TRE that should act as a warning on what is happening in the employment market. Oops, sorry, I should not say that. Everything is fine. Everything is so fine. Stop spreading rumours. All the foreigners working here are the best, with genuine certificates. Please read the post as a joke or some sour grapes trying to tarnish the reputation of Indian graduates.
I must say that according to my survey, all the daft Sinkies, especially the super talents, believe that all the foreigners here are genuine and talented and employed based on merits. And they also believed that the MOM and NTUC and TAFEP are doing an excellent job to block all the cheats from coming here. We have a clean record of employing only the real and talented ones. See, a few millions have came and gone, many are still happily employed here, some already citizens, and so few are caught. This is the best testimony that they are all genuine. You cannot dispute this right? This is the same kind of silly logic that no complaint means no problem. If no raped is being reported, then no one has been raped.
And don’t forget, we have super talents in charge and all the best regulations are in placed to keep the system clean and transparent. Sorry PMETs, you are no good and that is why you should become taxi drivers and security guards despite your degrees and diplomas. You are just not good enough. Do not blame on discrimination, do not blame the foreigners recruiting their own kind. And do not blame the foreigners for flaunting their fake degrees. Those are hobbies certificates, for fun only. They are recruited based only on their first degree from reputable universities, better than our world class universities. The same applies to getting their citizenships. No fake certificates were used.
Maybe you will stand a better chance getting a good job with a string of degrees. You know where to get the best and genuine fakes. Tell the employers they are fakes, for fun only, and the employers would love you for your honesty. You can get your quality fakes from the below list.

Company in India offers high quality fake degrees and diplomas. (Posted in TRE)
According to the site:
When put side-by-side many won’t spot differences between our products and those given to graduates.
To offer buyers convenience, the custom diploma or degree can be shopped to their doorsteps in just a few days!
Do you think companies especially many banks in Singapore should be worried if they have hired the right “talent”?
http://www.diplomacompany.in
As a supplier of custom printed diplomas, degrees and marksheets, we understand how important quality is to our customers. Diploma Company India works closely with our clients to provide them with realistic documents that are replicated from real institutions in India including those in cities such as Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, and Hyderabad!
The best fake certificates and marksheets in India
Each document we produce capture the layout, structure, decorative fonts, emblem placement and more of the actual issued diploma or certification. This goes for all items including fake college degrees, fake diplomas, fake junior college degrees, fake secondary degrees and even fake ged diplomas from all over the globe. When put side-by-side many won’t spot differences between our products and those given to graduates.
Get your fake diploma or degree fast
A custom diploma or transcript can be produced for you and shipped to your doorstep in just a few days. Our supplier can get a product from the states to India in no time flat. Each document we ship is also discreetly packaged to protect your privacy.
See our shipping page for more details.
Convenient ways to pay for your fake diploma order
Look, we understand how intimidating it can be making an online purchase for a fake degree. For this very reason, we offer safe and convenient forms of payments like credit cards. All payments are made securely through our secured checkout page.
See our payment page for more details.
Still have your doubts? See a sample of your order before it ships out!
You can get a free sample of your order to check over and proof before it leaves. All samples are handled through our ticket support system which allows you to communicate directly with the designer assigned to your order. This private communicate is both safe and effective and a great way to get to know us even better.
If you still would like to know more, we visit you to call, click or visit with our customer support staff today. We look forward to hearing from you.
The Alternative View
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre govt, bizarre policies
I was trying to find the best polite word to describe the policies that were churned out by this govt. Bizarre seems to be the safest bet. I was thinking of stronger words like horrible or worst, but the blood pressure of people may shoot up and burst the blood vessels and very nice people can go berserk. So bizarre it is to describe the kind of policies and things that are going on. No, no, I am not talking about a 16 year old boy being handcuffed and shackled for his ranting. That is child play. Forget about Roy Ngerng having to pay some fines for being a nuisance in a public park designated for free speech.
Now what can be considered bizarre? Can the changes to the CPF savings of the people be considered bizarre? The people’s life time savings now like not the people’s money. And many will die before even got the chance to use it after saving a life time. Is this bizarre by a govt elected by the people and changing policies on the people’s life savings and believing confidently that the people will have no objections and will happily vote the party to power again? Bizarre or no?
What about using the taxpayers’ money to the tune of billions, to finance foreigners to study here, from primary schools to universities, thousands of them over the years? And the parents who are citizens, taxpayers, got to foot every cent to finance their children’s education here or overseas, some emptying their life savings, selling their homes, while foreigners who did not pay taxes, with no obligations to the country, where the country owes them nothing, enjoyed the benefits of free education, free food and lodging and allowances? Crazy or bizarre, you tell me lah.
And the people again will happily vote, in a democratic election, the party who gave the money to foreigners, to power again. It is as good as the people giving consent to these policies, to help the children of the world to a good and expensive education, but they have to tighten their belts to pay for their own children’s education, using hard cash when many are cash strapped. Not bizarre? Not insanity?
With the financial demands to support their children, a decent job is a must. Many are now jobless or underemployed. And they have big mortgages to pay and children’s education fee and maintenance allowance to pay. How could they managed, I don’t know but they managed. And they are very happy to vote the party to power again for the bizarre policies of bringing hundreds of thousands of foreigners here to displace them in their jobs. Oops, sorry, my mistake on this. Officially the citizens, the PMETs were not displaced by the foreigners. They were just not good enough, not qualified enough, not talented enough, did not have the skills sets for the good jobs. They are to compete with the foreigners on a level playing field and the best man or woman gets the job. Citizen or no citizen, it is meritocracy. Citizenship does not confer any privileges as far as getting a job is concerned. Not even a job in the govt services. All is fair. Bizarre or not?
Wait till the people go to the voting stations and vote the govt back to power, with bigger majority, to confirm their support to these policies then you will know if it is bizarre or not. Wait till they find out how many got cheated of their jobs by cheats with fake certificates and qualifications.
At least 500,000 of foreigners are here working happily, butmany local PMETs are not working and still trying very hard to apply for a job. Some waiting for years and not even getting a reply or an interview. And the official stand is that they are not displaced by foreigners in employment. They got themselves to blame as they are not meritorious enough. Bizarre or not? And they would vote the same govt to implement the same immigration and employment policies with no protest, willingly, not sure if happily.
And many of the foreigners are from countries infamous for cheating in their education system, buying fake certificates and degrees, faking their CVs, and substandard education system. And the citizens were told that the foreigners are better than them, so blame themselves. And the citizens who have lost their jobs agree and would go to the voting stations to vote for the same govt again and again, for these policies. Bizarre or not?
Not bizarre? Yes, this is the most bizarre of all. No one think anything is missing and these policies are excellent policies, necessary policies for growth and good jobs, dunno for who, but definitely not bizarre policies. The govt does not think it is bizarre, the daft Sinkies also do not think it is bizarre.
What do you think? Is there anything bizarre?
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New tourist attraction – The Pride of Paradise Island
‘We have all seen them – the elderly folks who toiled away at our food centres such as hawker centres, coffeeshops and food courts, cleaning tables, collecting dishes and sweeping floors.
They have become such a ubiquitous feature that we hardly notice them anymore.
But even so, sometimes certain situations we witness still raise questions about our society and how we treat these folks.
At about 10pm on Saturday night, Ms Jenny Quek was at the Kopitiam food court at Vivo City. The unusual thing about what she witnessed was the number of tables which were littered with used and uncollected dishes – and that there was only one elderly cleaner toiling away trying to do her best to clear the tables.
Ms Quek took a video and posted it online:’
The above is posted by Andrew Loh in the TRE. Though the content and description of senior citizens at work was not treated as a glorious thing, I will take it as a difference in opinion. In some quarters, the opportunity for senior to work is a great privilege and a very desirable thing. It gives them financial independence and the dignity to enjoy what they are doing without becoming a burden to children and the state. I cannot quarrel with this view either. It sounds so logical and noble and I am won over already.
I think this is one of the great policies that keeps Singapore thriving and the envy of the world. The old folks of the world would love to be here to enjoy the opportunity and the dignity of financial independence. PMETs must be very encouraged by this since many found themselves redundant, unemployable by the time they hit 50. Now other than driving taxis they can look forward to a new career till 80 or more, working as cleaners in the food courts. No diplomas or degrees needed.
This is an Uniquely Singapore thing, old folks working happily and integrating with the young people, and making themselves useful instead of wasting their time away. I don’t think there is another country that will buy this philosophy of working their seniors to the last day as part of their retirement privilege. No need to worry about not having enough savings to retire. And no need to withdraw their CPF savings and can watch their savings grow and grow and grow.
The govt should table this as a paper to the UN for consideration and for praise. And the Tourist Board can promote this as the newest attraction in Sin City, a near miracle. Come to Sin City and see how our old folks are happily working to serve the young people in the food courts. It is a social symbiotic relationship that reduces wastage of human resources to near zero. And there is no need for retirement savings or retirement funds. That is why they don’t have to withdraw their CPF savings and letting them grow in the safe custody of the Govt.
To make it more interesting and participatory, the Tourist Board can conduct a Spot the Happiest and Oldest Cleaner Contest and tourists can also participate. The business in the food courts would be good. And if the prize money is big enough, Changi and the airlines would also be making big money as well, with eager tourist coming to see our happily employed oldies. And instead of sending our ministerial delegations to learn from other countries, other countries will be sending their delegations here to learn how we treat our senior citizens so well.
The old folks are very rich, with a lot of savings in their CPF, and very happy. See how dignified they go about cleaning tables and dishes. There is no thought of retiring to watch the sunset.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singaporean core in banking and finance
Tharman said this at the Association of Banks annual dinner, ‘Our vision is to be a financial centre that is among the leaders globally in workforce skills and expertise, and one with a strong core of Singaporeans at every level.’ This statement prompts a lot of questions as to why the need for such a statement and what happened that resulted in this statement.
Singapore as a financial centre has always been our mission since the 70s and we have been the top financial centre in the league of Tokyo and Hongkong. And for two decades, Singaporeans were in charge, the top financial talents were Singaporeans. What happened after that? What happened to all the Singaporean finance talents that today we are faced with a dearth of Singaporean finance talents that almost every top finance and banking jobs must go to a foreigner? And when a job is vacant there will be a mad rush to look for a foreigner as they could not find a Singapore to fill it? To the people responsible to fill these positions, Singaporeans are misfits in the finance industry.
Some may take this lightly like a non issue, but is a very serious issue. It is mismanagement of our human resource in the finance and banking sector. It is negligence, dunno on whose part, that we have reached such a dire strait. Is there anyone who is supposed to oversee this manpower need? It cannot be that such an important function was left to chance. Under Goh Keng Swee, his fingers were on the pulse of the finance industry and Koh Beng Seng was clearly instructed and given the task to ensure that Singaporeans would be groomed to take over the top jobs in the banking and finance industry.
What happened? No body knows I guess. No body cares? Was this policy abandoned, dropped like a coconut and not to be remembered? Or was there a change in policy to let foreigners to take over the banking and finance industry and Singaporeans were left out of the picture? Would anyone want to take responsibility for this fiasco, a sell out of Singaporeans in a very important industry that is now controlled and dominated by foreigners?
You mean no one knows what is happening? Sure no one knows or else someone’s head will be on the chopping block for such a gross mistake. Are we back to square one, to want Singaporeans to be in charge in the banking industry?
Now that Tharman is talking about the next 10 years to salvage a bad situation by ‘a string of programmes and initiatives, paving the way forward for Singapore with less emphasis on academic qualifications and more focus on the mastery of professional and technical skills,’ I am puzzled, very puzzled. What did he mean by less emphasis on academic qualifications? Did he mean that top banking and finance jobs do not need academic qualifications? Or did he mean that our tertiary institutions are not teaching the mastery of professional and technical skills and only the industry could teach the mastery of professional and technical skills? Then what is the point of going to the universities? O and A levels will do, and let the industry train the top managers needed?
Whatever magic that Tharman is going to pull out from his bag, we have 10 years to watch and see if the damage in the last 20 years can be redeemed. Let’s hope in 10 years time we will not be hunting around the world for finance talents and Singaporeans are still blur like sotong in the mastery of professional and technical skills in the industry.
Today we are a laughing stock as a financial centre that has no finance talents. It would not be funny if after another 10 years we will still be in the same state of nothingness. By the look of it, by the programmes suggested, it is going to be the same.
There must be a detailed plan of affirmative and positive actions and training to ensure that the Singaporean core exists in the banking and finance industry, and not the type of core from issuing pink ICs to foreigners and called them Singaporean core. Someone must be named to be responsible for this important task and be held accountable if nothing happens again. And tell him he will be hanged if he fails.
A financial centre that has no local finance talents and has no programme to ensure that this is being done for the last 20 years! What, everyone gone to hibernation? This must be another Uniquely Singapore thing. Or someone finds it more expedient to depend on the instant tree formula, so no need to grow our own timber? Hire the best regardless of nationalities, the parrots are heard squawking. Should someone take a shotgun and shoot the silly parrots?
Did anyone say we are always planning ahead? Did anyone notice the big hole in the banking and finance industry? What kind of brilliant planning is that? And the best part, it’s over, let’s move on. No one is responsible for it.
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another wonderful ‘pow chiat’ success business formula from Singapore
Below is a quote taken from the Statestimes and I believe they have quoted it from the main media and must be true. I stand corrected.
‘Announced yesterday (Nov 4), the Land Transport Authority (LTA) ruled that only Temasek Holdings-owned companies SMRT and SBS Transit are allowed to bid for the new Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL).
Profits of the successful bidder will be guaranteed under the new contractual model where taxpayers will bear the revenue risk. PAP MP Ang Hin Kee claimed that when profits are guaranteed, the company will focus on quality:
“When you remove the revenue risk, meeting the service standards becomes the focal point of an operator’s ability to deliver.”’
I think all businessmen would love this formula. They should all make an application to the govt for a guaranteed profit figure and then promise to improve the quality of their service or products. How about that, go takers or not? Let’s start with SIA, can buy back NOL and use this formula, who else want to take up this formula? How about HDB, profit guaranteed, no more billion dollar losses, and quality sure to improve. How about our universities, guaranteed profits to produce quality graduates, no mismatch? How about the telcos, SBS, the taxi drivers?
All the shops in Orchard Road would be forming a beeline to the government office to apply for guaranteed profits to improve products and services. This idea or concept is simply brilliant. I would never have thought of it and I don’t think anyone in the whole wide world would be able to come with such a clever idea. Count on the million dollar talents to come out with such an ‘out of the world idea’ to match out of the world salary. Now you can see the result of paying million dollars for million dollar ideas. Be grateful.
Soon all the companies in Singapore would be making profits and improving the quality of their products and services. Praise must be given when it is due. Another Uniquely Singapore innovative idea. Nevermind if the risk is borne by taxpayers. Our taxpayers are very rich. Sorry taxpayers, or shall I say thank you taxpayers, you are so kind and generous?
PS. I also want to go into business when profits are guaranteed.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WP presented with a Godsend gift for 2017
The happenings in the Ang Mo Kio Town Council are outrageous. I am not going to elaborate as the details are everywhere. The similarities between the AMKTC case and the AHPETC case are unstintingly unmistakable. What is the WP waiting for? Silence is golden as usual, or worried about sub judice?
A simple thing the WP could do is to table the same list of questions, objections, problems and recommendations thrown at them to act on. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Everything that needs to be said about this AMKTC case has been said in the KPMG report. Everything that has been alleged to be bad has been alleged. Everything that is supposed to be about poor management, inappropriate, unacceptable, everything that is supposed to be a violation of rules, good practices, unethical, immoral, unprincipled and against the law, has been said and written in black and white.
All the WP needs to do is to pull out the old copies of letters and reports that were sent to them, the reports in the media, and compile them in a nice file, and send them to Parliament for an airing. Then they can all sit back and relax and hear the replay of everything that was said, in defence of what were said and alleged about AHPETC. So simple!
Actually a simple way is to send all the documents and letters back with the words AHPETC changed to AMKTC will do. Oh, the names of people involved should also be changed.
What a piece of cake for the start of a new year. There is no need to say anything new, no need to crack the grey matter. Just do exactly as what was said or done before, would be better if they can hold a press conference and hope that the main media would print exactly what they had printed before. Would that be nice?
One advice for the WP, do not do what I do, for what I can do you can’t do. What I do is right and good, but when you do what I do, it is wrong and bad. Understand?
This is an example of a comment in TRE, and there were many more of such brilliant comments that the WP can quote, from ministers and MPs.
PREACHER SHOULD PRACTICE:
January 2, 2017 at 10:48 pm (Quote)
IN 2015 – KHAW BOON WAN ON WP’S AHPETC LAPSES, quote:
“By law, the MPs and councillors are ultimately responsible for everything in the town council. They cannot simply DELEGATE their responsibility away to ther managing agent or others.
Unfortuately, throughout the saga we have found the MPs running AHPETC to be evasive, unresponsive and misleading.” (my capitalized ‘DELEGATE’)
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New serious political philosophers emerging in Sin
After the renaissance in Europe the world turned away from philosophers. The ancient philosophers were only read in the academia for fun. So were the Middle Age European philosophers. Good to read as a student in the campus all over the world. Such philosophies do not seem to be applicable in the modern context and have been bungled and thrown into the dustbin. From the rise of European Empires till today, there is a dearth of serious philosophers in modern history and politics.
But not all is gone. Sin City is the most fertile ground for the copulation of ideas, east and west, modern and ancient. Sin City has brought in all the best minds from the developed countries and the best minds from the Third World countries into this melting pot and their goodness is starting to seep through. New ideas or new thoughts to challenge old philosophical models and wisdom are being expounded by the super talents of the City.
The latest idea is that small countries must be ruled by a single political party. This is the formula for the success of small countries. Being small, lack of talents, there are not many talents to choose from anyway. This is one real limiting factor in a small city state. And small is good in a way if there is one party, without the bickering of a multi party system. A one party system allows the one party to be fast and agile to respond to changes and challenges that a multi party system cannot offer. With one party, everything goes, and can be done quickly and efficiently. This is a new political philosophy that would soon be taught in our world best universities and all the students will graduate with this brilliant idea. MOE will include this idea in the school textbooks for young children. One party is good, two parties is bad, multi parties the worse.
And Sin City is the living proof that a one party system is the way to go. Actually the formula is also applicable to big countries. The most efficient and progressive one party system is China. See how efficient a one party system can do for a big country. The one party system allows China to leap frog all the democratic multi party countries in 40 years to be the Number One or Two economic and military power in the world, depending on what yardstick you are using. The Number One economic and military power, the USA, is losing steam because of its multi party system and soon would be over taken by a one party system country.
One party is good and applicable not only to a small city state but for all states big and small. To progress, to do well economically, a one party system is the way to go. This is the 21st Century political philosophy.
Please do not challenge me on this brilliant idea. I am not the philosopher. I am just a dumb parrot. Please do not be angry with all the believers of this modern political philosophy as they are also dumb parrots like me, unthinking and daft, which are highly valued assets in Sin City.
There are many great and brilliant ideas emerging from Sin City that would take the world by storm by the few super talented talents.

Harvard, Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge and all the top universities would soon be learning from the philosophers of Sin City and teaching their students that one party political system is good.
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asset enhancement - a uniquely Singapore miracle

Singaporeans are so blessed with a very clever govt that could devise such a miraculous scheme call asset enhancement. The scheme revolves around the buying of 99 year lease public flats built by the govt at relatively low price and the owner could eventually sell it at a hugely inflated price, to receive an expected windfall along the way. It is a sure win formula and many Singaporeans are now very wealthy landlord in a way, sitting on a public flat that is worth at least $300k for the smallest unit in the open market and some worth more than a million for the bigger units. As in all sure win schemes, there is a caveat of course.

Here is how the price sure go up scheme works.

Year 1 - Buy a public flat from the govt, say at $250k.
Year 5 - Eligible to sell in the open market at asking price of $350k.
Year 10 - Open market price could be $450k.
Year 20 - Open market price could be $550k
Year 30 - Open market price goes higher to $650k.
Year 40 - $750k!
Year 60 - $800k!
Year 80 - $850k!
Year 90 - $850!
Year 100 - $0!

Every flat owner could look at this guide to see the price of his flat could go up and up all the years. Notice the caveat, make sure they are not holding on to the flat at year 100.

The scheme is very favourable to those who sell the flats at a profit in the first 50 to 60 years. Singaporeans could go for a second bite of the cherry to buy another public flat from the govt to restart the cycle. Foreigners could only buy from the open market so the margin of profit cannot be as high as the Singaporeans buying direct from the govt. But they are still guaranteed of a reasonable profit.

For those new citizens who bought and sold and bought again and sold to return to their original country, this scheme is highly favourable to them as they would not hold on to the flat till year 100. I might say a bit sorry for those who have to hold on to their flats till the very end, its miraculous price would miraculously become 0, no value, just like Cinderella when the clock struck midnight and everything turned into smokes..

This is quite like the magician turning a piece of paper into money only for the money to be turned into worthless paper at the end of the game. Be clever to cash out when you can or your store of value will vanish into thin air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: