Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
Kopitiam Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Ngerng – The saga takes a nasty turn

For more than a month, nothing was heard of Hsien Loong’s libel case against Roy Ngerng. Privately I thought the two parties were trying to work out an amicable settlement out of court. I personally thought that would be a good thing for both parties. An outright confrontation when both refused to give an inch and went for body blows would only hurt both badly. None will walk away triumphant but with wounds and bruises all over. So I thought wise counsels must have prevailed and both will walk away with the least harm possible. Then I read Roy’s article posted in The Real Singapore, ‘ROY NGERNG: PM LEE TAKES ISSUE WITH 9 MORE OF MY BLOG ARTICLES TO PAY HIS LAWYERS $50,000 - 11 January 2015 - 1:48pm’

What Roy wrote in this latest article was not what I hope to see. Roy was acting like someone being pushed to the wall and would either scale over or bite back with all he got. It is a case of you want me dead, I will fight you to the end. And Roy has little to lose.

I have a lot of misgivings after reading the article. This development is bad for both of them. What happened? I can only guess that Hsien Loong was given the wrong advice again to raise the stake, to take Roy to the High Court and to demand higher compensation in the process. Assuming Hsien Loong won and Roy is made to pay a huge sum for damages, so what? Roy would be down and likely be made a bankrupt. Or he could go to the public for financial support to pay the damages like before. The latter would only excite more negative emotions and bad publicity for Hsien Loong and his party.

What would these bode for Hsien Loong? I could not see any good coming out of this for him. There is nothing of benefit to Hsien Loong. It would not only be a hollow victory but worse. How would the people look at Hsien Loong in his tenacious pursuit of this case? I am sure Hsien Loong would know that it can only do him harm than good. Then why pursue this case to such an unpleasant ending that would cost him dearly politically?

Who would benefit from the fallout of this case? Definitely not Roy, and not Hsien Loong. It would be like the proverbial saying, when the clam and crane fought, the fisherman would stand to reap the rewards. Who is or are the fishermen in this case and waiting eagerly and patiently on the sideline for the two to fall? Who would stand to gain the most when both parties ended in the gutters?

I must say I am taken aback by this latest development. Why is Hsien Loong forced to take this drastic step and in the process hurt himself more than he could hurt Roy? Some may think otherwise and thought this is a good thing for Hsien Loong, that he is doing the right thing. I choose to disagree. I would advise Hsien Loong to take the middle path if asked.
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roy Ngerng saga continues
A fire is burning hot. The CPF is a hot potato issue. What about the Roy Ngerng saga? Immediately after the judgement for legal fee was out, another controversy took centre stage. Did Roy give up his right to cross examine, to be cross examined, or did he not? According to Hsien Loong’s press secretary Chang Li Lin, Roy’s lawyer had confirmed that he did not want to be cross examined. According to Roy he wanted the cross examination.
What is puzzling is the thinking of Hsien Loong. What is he thinking, what is in his mind? Could he be thinking that this is a straight forward case of libel and he was suing Roy for alleging that he was corrupt? Period. Let the court decide this civil suit and move on? How would this tussle affect his stature as the PM of the country?
Can this legal suit be taken in isolation, to be treated so clinically like a wound, clean it, sanitize it and bandage it up nicely with no further complication or implication?
The social media is on fire. Some netizens are fuming and drawing all kinds of conclusions and threatening consequences, as a political issue. Did Hsien Loong see this coming? I bet so. He must have weighed the consequences and how it would impact his standing as the PM and how it would affect the next GE.
This legal case against Roy cannot be simply treated as a private matter between the two of them. It is political as in involved the PM, and the people will see it from the political perspective and drag many issues into it, the CPF being one. Without trying to analyse more in the thinking of Hsien Loong or his party stalwarts, there must be political fallouts coming from this case. Perhaps all these have been taken into account and seen as a price worth paying for, or necessary to take Roy to court.
How would this end up with Roy now in a mood for a ‘suicidal’ mission, a do and die no option recourse? The bigger this saga is blown up, the bigger the implications, and they are unlikely to be positive for both of them. Would it blow the PAP’s chance in the next GE? This is on the lips of every politically conscious citizens and political observer.
What is at the end of the tunnel?
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peaceful protest against PWP - 31 Jan 2015
Press release: Peaceful protest against 6.9 million Population White Paper (2 years after) – Sat 31st Jan from 4pm to 7pm.

A permit has been granted by NParks and we will abide by all the rules and regulations related to the protest.

Two years have lapsed since the government introduces the population white paper in January 2013 – passed in Parliament without a whimper of a complaint due to the majority rule of the PAP.

Gilbert Goh - Organiser
redbean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so bizzarre in court?
The case of Han Hui Hui and his friends being accused of being a public nuisance to a ‘YMCA’s annual carnival Proms @ the Park when some performers who have Down’s syndrome were on stage’ is now in session. According to a Reginald Ang as reported in the Today paper, ‘People with Down’s syndrome are most sensitive to noise…Every segment of our dance is synchronised, but now everyone is doing their own dance, some stuck in their first pose, because they cannot hear the music.’ One also commented that the presence of the protestors was like bringing a coffin to a wedding.
The prosecution is pointing the finger at Han Hui Hui and her protestors for being inconsiderate and disrupted the event of children with Down’s syndrome and causing them great distress. How could the protestors be so unkind and inhuman to do such a thing in the presence of such children? This is one part of the bizarre happenings in Hong Lim.
The other bizarre thing is that why would parents or organizers, with such sensitive children in their care, host the event in the midst of a public protest and think everything will be peaceful? Do they really believe that a public protest and demonstration is a tea party of politeness?
The big question, are the parents and organizers being insensitive and irresponsible to put the children’s safety to unnecessary risk? Did they know that such a protest was taking place? Could they hold their event at another location so that it would not clash with a public protest that would definitely affect their sensitive children? They were very lucky that the protest was not big enough and did not turn violent. What would happen to the safety of their children should the protestors turned into a rioting mob? Does it require any exception foresight or hindsight to think that it was a wrong thing to do? Should they be taking steps to avoid such a confrontation or should it be the duty of the protestors to avoid the sensitive children?
Which is more bizarre, the protestors protesting and disturbing the sensitive children or holding an event for sensitive children beside a public protest? Who was more irresponsible and should shoulder the blame?
What do you think?
redbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Hong Lim Protest
I heard there is one this Saturday organized by the Community Action Network (CAN) and the topic is the recent harassment of Roy Ngerng and Teo Soh Lung. I tried to search for this info in the net but got zero result.
I am wondering how many people knew about it or would turn out when there is hardly any information about the event. The organizers expect everyone to know or only for their friends and associates to attend? Is this a spread by words of mouth protest for those who are connected to the Community Action Network group?
The last time Gilbert Goh held a protest, there were barely 200 people. These organizers need to learn the ropes from the Pink Dot Organisers, maybe get some donations and support from big corporations if they ever think there will be people turning up for their event.
redbean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenna Police How? Your right to due process (Hong Lim Park 18 June 16, 5 -7 pm)

Just read this message in TRE for a public discourse on your right to due process at Hong Lim this evening. It is a bit late to put this up, but nevertheless here it is.

On 18 June, Community Action Network (CAN), Function 8 and Think Centre invite all concerned members of society to join us at Hong Lim Park for ‘Kenna Police How?: Your right to due process’.
Recent events have highlighted uncertainty among members of the public about the scope of police powers and how current procedures ensure due process. These events include Law Society President Thio Shen Yi’s February 2016 call for immediate or early access to counsel, the Benjamin Lim case, and recent police action in response to alleged breaches of the Cooling Off Day regulations.
This event has been organised to allow members of the public to share their experiences with police investigations, as well as their concerns and suggestions for how the fairness, proportionality and consistency of police action can be best ensured. Over 100 members of the public have indicated their intention to attend on Facebook, with 300 more expressing interest in the event.
“We urge more clarity about the rights of individuals in contact with police – especially vulnerable people like children or migrants,” said Kokila Annamalai, a volunteer with CAN. “When can the police archive your email or confiscate your phone? Do they need a warrant? More awareness of the scope of these powers is needed. It’s in everyone’s interests that justice is not only done, but also seen to be done.”
In January, as part of the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) at the United Nations (UN), numerous UN member states made recommendations for Singapore to strengthen its protection of citizens’ rights to free expression. At the time, the Singapore delegation to Geneva affirmed its support for the UPR process and stated its commitment to protect fundamental human rights. We hope that the government will stand by its proclamations and welcome this event’s contribution to societal dialogue on advancing rights.
Among the speakers are civil society activist Vanessa Ho, who will address sex workers’ experiences with the police, Damien Chng of anti-death penalty group We Believe in Second Chances, and Function 8 member Pak Geok Choo. Members of the public are invited to create placards at the event to express their views on police accountability and their ideas for how the protection of individual rights can be achieved.
We invite you to attend this important event and to cover it for your media channel. For more information, please contact Kokila at communityactionnetworksg@gmail.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Singapore Current Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: