Forum Index
this forum welcomes all forumers who appreciate decent and well thought out views and discussions. all forumers are encouraged to accept that different forumers have different views and often there is no absolutely right or wrong views.
Menu
 Forum IndexHome
FAQFAQ
MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Links
mysingaporenews
Singapore River Tour
Singapore Education
Singapore Orchids
littlespeck
ypapforum
Singapore Hosting
Sample Link 2
Sample Link 2

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Google Search
Google

http://www.phpbb.com
thaksin and democracy in thailand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: thaksin and democracy in thailand Reply with quote

thaksin was popularly elected by the thai people with a sweeping majority.. now the opposition want to force him to resign through unconstitutional means, through mass protest.

thaksin is calling for a new election, for a new mandate from the people.. the opposition refuse to go to the poll.. how's that for democracy and the people's choice? do the opposition represent the majority of the thai people? why are the opposition afraid to go to the poll if they think that the people are with them and wanted to throw out thaksin?

thaksin said he would resign if the king whispers to him to do so.. now a video on the 1992 confrontation, between general suchinda and chamlong when the king stepped in to defuse the crisis, was aired on tv.. to the opposition, this is the king whispering for thaksin to step down.. to thaksin, it is the king telling both parties to tone down the conflict.. to each his own interpretation.

are the thai people behind thaksin or the opposition? if the people are behind the opposition, then it is only proper for thaksin to resign.. but why aren't the opposition be brave enough to face the people for a mandate? why hide behind public demonstration?

and if the people are behind thaksin, and if the king is behind the opposition, would this compromise the reverence the thais had for their king?
redbean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand has seen the worst of democracy with the dethronement of Thaksin. It is mob rule, peoplecracy, when a small group of activists pushed their way against the people who voted for Thaksin to be their PM.

Is this democracy? It is tyranny of a minority.

If Thaksin in Singapore, he would have the law on his side. Technically and legally he was within the law.

Here is a case where the law may be right. But if the people were against it, the law can be set aside.
redbean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mob democracy in Thailand is just going too far and is irritating the powers and even the King. They have abused the power of democracy to throw out a popularly elected prime minister. And now they are demanding his exile from Thailand, to ensure that he has no more influence on Thai politics. Is this too much to ask for? To force a Thai citizen out of Thailand?

And now they are even telling their revered king what to do. This is how power corrupts and got crazy in the heads of crazy people.

They did not know how much damages they have done to the Thai economy, Thai tourism and trade and investment.

And the military is losing its patience on a mob that has gone crazy with power. Would they demand the removal of the king if the king turns down their request to appoint an undemocratically elected prime minister?
Matilah_Singapura

Location: LAND OF SMILES & INSTANT GRATIFICATION, of Delightful Exploitation...and a true Buddhist spirit!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been here over a month now, and so far there've been 2 elections. Tomorrow apparently there's by-elections Shocked

The amazing thing is that the govt is more or less "invisible" - it is even hard to notice that there is only a skeleton "caretaker" govt in office.

... and there is peace throught the kingdom.

King Bhumibol is a 1st class monarch - he essentially leaves his subjects alone and his only interference is His Royal Word. If people are fighting, all he does is say "Stop fighting". And they stop.

The best rulers rule by not ruling.

This year marks his 60th year on the throne.

Long Live King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I agree.

The opposition wanted him to put his fingers into the mouse trap. But he is too wise to get caught in the petty quarrels of the politicians. Staying above the politics is the best strategy for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> World Affairs All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: